Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

I wish people around me would admit that the only reason they still obsess about using GameCube controllers with Smash is because they’re scared of change

I bought a GCN adapter because spending $20 and digging up my old Wavebirds is way cheaper than more Switch controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Just get a replacement stick cap, they're really easy to install with a triwing screwdriver. I replaced both of my stick caps with Wii Nunchuck sticks.

Is there a suggested stick mechanism to purchase if the springs are loose and you want to do an overhaul? I know there has to be something like that out there because of the OCD secondary market around GCN controllers specifically for Smash, so I'm hoping I can get my controllers working good as new for a couple dollars of parts and an hour of soldering.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Skyarb posted:

Also how the hell do I invite friends off my friend list to a game?

Also wondering this and hoping it's not something stupid like having to text my friends saying "hey wanna play Smash, I made a room so filter by friends' games and join it so we can play"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Xad posted:

I have bad news

lmaooooo that is some last century poo poo. At least I don't have to give people my IP address to join, I guess?

I really thought I was just missing something simple. This is my first Nintendo console since the Gamecube, so even though Nintendo's gonna Nintendo, I was at least expecting it to be on the same level as PSO. I think it ends up being even worse, since the console tells me that my friends are online and playing, but there's no way to get a game going unless we're in a chat room or some poo poo.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This games online is going to be dead so loving fast. It's actual trash.

Like I love the game and how it plays but I'm actually disgusted. This is somehow worse than brawl :smith:

The fact it keeps forgetting my custom buttons and not being able to switch characters without backing out is insane.

Thanks for confirming the button issue. I thought I was going nuts, because it would switch to default for one match, then go back to my custom controls on the next.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh my God, when you beat classic with Lucina the picture you get is of her and wrestler Pikachu wearing luchador masks and posing. Please tell me that has something to do with that Super Slam video with the revoltech figures.

I've never played any Fire Emblem games so as far as I'm concerned she's John Cena with a sword.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rolo posted:

Wii Fit Trainer has the best classic mode. It’s just you against the roundest characters. The team match is you and Doctor Mario.

You're up against either the fattest characters, or the characters who eat too much. Everything about the single player modes have so much thought put into them and it's fantastic.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tim Burns Effect posted:

so far my biggest complaint about the online is that everyone on my friends list is currently playing it but there is no in-game way whatsoever to coordinate with any of them. they couldnt even stick a "send an invite" button in there??

Yeah my buddies and I were gonna go all in with the yearly online subscription, but if this is the way it's gonna be then there's no point in going past the trial period.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I fought the Boss while being way underlevelled using just the poison nullifier and it was so fuckin' intense with the Snake Eater music in the background. Having all the music from every game ever does so much to make it feel like you're actually fighting the spirit character and not just an alternate palette of whatever fighter it is.

It took me like thirty tries but I was eventually able to pull it off, and the whole time I was pumped as hell instead of frustrated because the Boss is supposed to be insanely good at CQC.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Dr. Fetus posted:

Who the hell designed the 9 Volt and 18 Volt fight? This is seriously bullshit. Even with the Assist Trophy killer perk, it's luck based if I can even reach the sheriff at all to take him out.

Was just about to ask about this one, and if there's a spirit I don't have yet that helps me not die instantly.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

lol, you guys have all been talking up the Pauline fight as being crazy hard so I held off even entering it for so long, but it's so easy as long as you're using the right spirits. I tried a couple times the normal way, then said screw this and went through my inventory.

Equip the staff with as many gun buffs as you can fit and just fuckin' 360 no-scope her from across the stage and she's dead in literally less than a second. You have clear line of sight, and the staff gets more powerful the further away the target is. I burst out laughing when I sniped her and she flew off the screen before Mario could spawn.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sydin posted:

I actually beat 9volt+18volt, took about half an hour of trial and error bullshit but eventually I had a round where I got the first Galaga item and it carried off one guy, then got a throw + spike on the second. Almost threw my controller across the room getting there though, absolutely the most obnoxious fight I've had so far.
Other fights could be hard and frustrating, but they were at least still fun because you had control of your character. 9+18 Volt is awful because you don't even have any control over anything once stuff goes haywire two seconds in when you get hit by that loving assist trophy. Even with assist killers I couldn't get anywhere near the sheriff to get rid of him.

Spergatory posted:

Some fights definitely have harder/smarter CPUs than others, though. The Boss in particular will kick your rear end up and down the jungle if you try to fight her the "honest" way.
Like with this one, I did the fight at around half the level I was supposed to be and despite getting my rear end kicked for like an hour, it was still fun as hell. I did it as Fox so it was all super fast CQC poo poo, and with Snake Eater playing in the background it was frikken intense.

For Dr. Wily I got a metal killer spirit and paired it with something that healed you every time you got a KO, and was able to pull it off on my first try, although I was cutting it real close. At least I was still able to, like, control my character.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So anyone switch to a pro controller and like it better now after a week

I switched over because not having a home button was kind of annoying. Not sure if I'd go so far as to say it's better, but I can definitely play just as well as with my wavebird without any noticeable differences. Just needed to switch the Y button to special to keep myself from accidentally jumping all the time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Holy Christ the Madama Butterfly spirit is savage on the stages where you get to use it. You basically have ∞HP.

Also, I hate stamina battles, or at least the number of them in WoL. I don't wanna play conservatively to outlast the opponent, I wanna bumrush that prick and gently caress them up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Wow, fighting Isaac is a profoundly awful experience.

Is that the dude with the hands that push you offscreen? I just took the fight to the edge of the screen so I could knock people out as soon as possible.

Ciaphas posted:

Also, how do I own as Zelda
I'm really liking Zelda after using her in WoL. I've been spamming Din's Fire to keep people at a distance, and when people get up close her physical attacks seem to be good for stunning dudes. I use her down+B to guard edged while people are recovering, and Farore's Wind is super powerful once you get the hang of aiming it. My favorite thing to do is to teleport into a group of people fighting and then spamming Nayru's Love; it usually guarantees me at least one KO. If you can hit opponents on both the teleport out and in, that also does huge damage.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just finished WoL. It ended up being a lot more engaging than I was expecting, and that end sequence sure was something.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Try not to use Down+B only for edge guarding, it's really useful all around! You can send it out early with a tap of B, or down+B if the knight has finished building. It comes out super fast and WILL make approaching you a pain in the rear end. It forces people to approach from above, which makes it very easy to predict what they'll do.
Oh sweet, I was wondering how that was happening. That just makes Zelda into even more of a beast, imo. I hope they don't nerf my girl in a later patch.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

just tanked my rating from 800k to 100k in eight matches

lol makes me wanna loving kill myself being so bad

pls don't kill yourself over a video game

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've never played a Fire Emblem game but I assume they also have characters that aren't just swordbois? It'd be cool if FE got repped with some more variety in their characters' gameplay.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

jesus christ does zelda's final smash just banish her victim to the light

wtf that's terrifying:stonk:

Instant KO above 100%.

Does anyone know if the double final smash trait that Wind Waker Zelda gives you stacks up? It'd be sick to get four final smashes in a row.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

god damnit. how do i get robin to actually come back for challenging, that's still the only route to unlocking palutena (just randomly unlocked Simon)? just time?

After some time a rematch option shows up in the menu at the bottom right corner.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's me, I'm the guy who finally beats Super Sonic and hits the tiny sliver of shield twice after using the items that are supposed to make it easier. When it's moving that fast my mind seems to fixate on hitting the visible part that's moving instead of the other way around.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

If there were any kind of execution barrier or other limitation on final smashes and there were other ways you could spend meter it could be interesting but there’s not and you can’t.

Let the comp people play how they want, if you don’t like what they’re doing just don’t watch.

You should go to your local smash scene though.

Wait, is there actually a smash scene in westman

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

This is more a problem I have with the series than with this game though since they can only work with what was already there. But what happened to pokefloats or the bonkers Smash 4 Starfox stage?

Yeah, I thought this was supposed to have all the smash stuff ever. Where the eff are my pokefloats

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I appreciate the fact that they recorded two separate voice clips for Fire Emblem Roy and Koopa Roy on the character select screen.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Any of you folks using the EB/Gamestop house brand LAN adapter (this one)? It specifically says it's compatible with the Switch, and I've tried two different ones with no luck. It works fine on my PC and shows up as having the correct chipset that the Switch is compatible with, but for some reason the Switch isn't detecting it. I'm gonna try on a friend's Switch dock to see if maybe that's it, but all the ports work fine with the GCN adapter.

I just wanna play online without ruining everyone's connection. :(

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

For me, the winner is Jazz Style.

But honestly it's ridiculous that there's a million remixes of Jingle Hijinks, but barely anything from DKC2 or Tropical Freeze.

And some of the non-JH choices are weird too. Who wanted Ice Cave Chant? Where the gently caress is Busted Bayou??

gently caress you, Ice Cave Chant is awesome. That song is permanently burned into my "good job!" receptors for hearing it after finally finishing Barrel Canyon Blast.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is playing online any better if you're playing in arenas with friends that are closeby? I'm almost ready to give up on quickplay because even with a LAN adapter the latency is ridiculous. On one match the last ten seconds took a full minute to count down while I watched the Monado plunge into my face in slow motion.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

HenryEx posted:

This is me, i'm playing on 1 bar of the wifi that's two floors down in a remote location that hasn't upgraded its network cable within the last 30 years

And yet, only about 1 in 15 matches have had any kind of lag whatsoever for me, and only a handful of the 200+ matches i played have stuttered badly. :shrug:

It's you

you're the problem

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Your Computer posted:

I was gonna say, yeah. The best LAN adapter in the world doesn't help if your connection or the rest of your equipment is bad.

If you're constantly getting bad lag, try doing some tests on your connection to see if it's on your end. Like, earlier this year I had a ton of problems with packet loss in Overwatch and I discovered it was actually my router that was being lovely. Bought a new one and it was night and day.

All my stuff is working fine right up to the headend, so I know it's not on my side. Zero packet loss, no node saturation, and my router's passing all tests. I'm trying to talk my friends into getting the online subscription for convenient smashing, but it's a hard sell when it runs this awful.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

KungFu Grip posted:

I need my Piranha Plant DLC fix... I need more to Smash.

Straight up what made this a day one purchase for me. Glad to finally see some representation for our plant kingdom buds.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wolf's howl taunt isn't long enough imo

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Macaluso posted:

I'm obviously not counting the fighter spirits. Rayman is not getting in folks. End your dreams of Captain Toad as I have. Rabbid Peach is forever not going to be granted to spot in Smash she rightfully deserves

There's like five different Link spirits and three or four Zeldas.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is the temp banning for stuff like intentional SDs automatic, or does someone need to report you? I paired up with a Toon Link and we ended up in a team battle with two new people. One guy was lame and about a minute in he just SD'd three times and disconnected. Rather than just do an unfun 2v1 match I got rid of the rest of my stocks and got to watch a pretty close game. I didn't get blocked and we rematched a couple of times so they probably caught on to what I was doing and didn't report me, but I wanna make sure there isn't some kind of automated process that will block me for doing stuff like that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Relevant Tangent posted:

Unless it's well hidden I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to report people on the Switch in general.

Vault > Records > Past Opponents

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/Blun_Z/status/1076930097783992320

Zelda being a JoJo makes me love her even more.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Cicadas! posted:

I've been seeing a lot of Elite Zeldas who absolutely should not be there. Overuse of Farore's wind, throwing out Nayru's love after just about every move, only combo they know is set up phantom > din's fire and pray, rolling like it's still Smash 4, etc. It's kind of sad because I want to see good Zeldas but there are apparently no good Zeldas online.

Zelda is fun as hell to play as, but I had to stop using her online because the input lag kept causing me to SD with Farore's Wind. I switched over to Wolf and I'm having a lot more fun now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

It's everyone else who has A and B/Confirm and Cancel backwards. Nintendo has had Confirm on the east since the NES and Cancel on the south since the SNES.

Except for the N64, which had confirm on the south and cancel on the... west?

Being an OG 64 smasher using B as attack and Y as special feels so much more natural on a non-GCN controller, but A being the confirm button in menus and stuff but jump in-game weirds me the gently caress out. Right now I have both A and B set to attack and Y as special to satisfy my brain problems, and I can mash A+X to do a short hop.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

How are you supposed to beat the Dark Lord spirit? A giant Ridley with Super Armor is some bullshit.

Play as a giant metal Ridley with Super Armour.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Thanks to the person who suggested using spirits to make custom gametypes for playing with friends. We decided to give it a try by making a 3v1 against Little Mac decked out with four punch spirits and everyone had a blast, from newbies to experienced players.

Just making up spirit combos for stuff like that is gonna be a lot of fun, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

creationist believer posted:

It's also good to verify that the LAN adapter you purchase supports both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. The Switch dock physically has one 3.0 port, but the firmware still only connects to devices with the 2.0 protocol right now. Someone else in this thread had trouble where they bought a LAN adapter that had the AX88179 chipset, but didn't fallback to 2.0 if plugged into a port that didn't support 3.0, so it didn't work with the Switch.

I can personally vouch for this UGREEN one and others have said the Amazon Basics one works well too.

Yeah, that was me. Hilariously all the "Compatible with Nintendo Switch!" adapters that GameStop sells don't work. The Startech one I replaced it with worked right out of the box, although I'm thinking of returning it since all my online games have still had tons of input lag.