Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
First post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Just got home from work, what'd i miss

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
This is Ganon

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Can c-stick move the menus around in smash 5? Whatever, the game's going to be trash compared to melee anyway

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Dang.. smash ultimate? Who do ya'll think is going to be in that game

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Ridiculous Ruleset

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
and melee hd

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VOLUOIwbP4

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
As far as banned stages in competitive play, here's a fun vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1NmlKDV6sw

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
They can just use green blood for mortal kombat duh!!!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
:twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QoyBrr5t4s

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Nice

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Can Steve wavedash

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Competitive melee owns

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Dabir posted:

let's be clear: melee shouldn't be ported because its fans are some of the most toxic and unpleasant on the planet, and its enduring legacy has been a load of assholes jerking off about how much more ~technical~ their broken piece of poo poo from two decades ago is while the same 8 people win every tournament with one of about half a dozen characters on their choice of three stages

Actually melee is great!!! And ultimate sucks balls!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Good to also dive off the rocket w/ down special

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Superman grounded up-special seems really bad on the way down (no armour!!)

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Moola posted:

dear game devs, please change the re-match button just instantly put you back into the fight with the same match-up and perk selections

the downtime on having to go through the select process again is killing me

Yeah the downtime kinda drives me crazy, especially coming from how fast you can start a game and rematch in melee+slippi
and that's even if everyone immediately chooses the same characters/perks

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Lux Animus posted:

Let's all fight fair and this should be fun.

You mean fattack while jumping?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Sky table is a platform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg9CH4KlKMc

check the comments for timestamps (event starts at 30:47)

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Weird Pumpkin posted:

On the plus side, I've been focusing on Melee again and man that game is fun. Gonna try and make it out to a major or two this year for the first time, it'll be a ton of fun playing people offline even if I'm still going to be pretty bad at the game

Do it!!! DO IT!!!!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man, melee has a really fast "oh drat that was sick, I'm getting way better at this game" -> "god I'm trash, I'm so bad at this game, I'm mega rear end" -> "God I'm sick, hell yeah, I rule" cycle

Or maybe that's just me, captain falcon, and enjoying everytime I hit a knee on someone :shobon:

In other news, I finally actually used a wavedash in a match to make a marth whiff something for me to knee right afterwards :hellyeah:

Do you do any practice with unclepunch or anything crazy like that?

Pleased To see you are another falcon player :twisted: I think my dream is to play like n0ne does except I don't practice or play at all so that will be very hard to accomplish

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Mega rip, what a squandered launch

On the melee front, it's pretty amazing how many people have like incredible ledge dashes and all sorts of hard stuff in unranked. I'm not very good, and so I presume my MMR is pretty low as well, but I'm still running into some crazy fast people.

I've actually got a pretty good winrate against those people though. For whatever reason a lot of them are really fast but don't seem to have any sort of plan so I can just kinda make them whiff things and knee them or something

Though man, all the floaty characters mess me up, or maybe it's just that a lot of them have mega active air normals that they can fall with and my timing for making them whiff is terrible :shobon:

Mechanics is easy to practice on your own well sorta anyway but man putting it actually into action fucks me up

My mind goes blank and i jsut go ultra instinct mode and by that i mean my brain turns off and i die immediately

Actually even mechanics is hard for me I still find myself getting "stuck" because of how different buffering moves is between smash games

anyways here's a cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54or9x5Tyxc

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Yeah I remember it being completely confusing how to just get a game going with friends to do 1v1 or 2v2 or ffa and we never figured it out

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Wrong. There should never have been a last summit

Because bts should have gone on forever...

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Galint haver!!

I think I remember practicing SDIing fox's up-air and just failed so abysmally but it really put into perspective how good the top players are.

But going back to ledgedashes, it also brings them back down to earth seeing even the top players missing those and suiciding when they mess up :D

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Went to a melee event up here in upstate NY

Had a heckuva time. I actually went to the limit in round 1 of the actual tournament, game 5 last stock. Unfortunately I didn't clutch it out, had some good sets in my other rounds but being still pretty inexperienced I didn't really get anywhere with the actual tournament. I had a great time just playing sets with people, ended up leaving after like 5 hours or so of play as my wrists are old and feeble lol

Man it's fun just playing with people though. I can't remember if I mentioned it in the thread but I payed for ranked on Slippi after feeling like I was doing a lot better. Fast forward to yesterday and I'm sitting at like 7 wins 50 losses and in the low 600s in elo lol, but it's still fun and I learn something new every game

:ET'S loving GOOOOO

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/cleo_ssb/status/1672297651310608386

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Ultimate.. snake???? oh right smash ultimate

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Super Jay Mann posted:

There have been zero documented uses of the tech in tournament bracket and it's generally seen to be not all that useful or practical anyway.

Just curious, why is it not useful or practical? It sounds powerful but idk anything about ultimate

At least for melee, there have been countless techniques where they're first dismissed too difficult or obscure to be consistently useful, fast forward some years and now you have to do it in order to compete at the highest level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Grace Baiting posted:

Oh god yes please, please this plzzz

I'm 100% sure this will never happen though