Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I think the thing I'm most excited for is being able to play 4-player stock matches with online randos. I love For Serious 1v1 matches but being able to play a chill gently caress-around game with items using whatever character I'm feeling that day sounds pretty loving awesome. The old For Fun mode was bullshit and too short for that. Who the gently caress plays Time anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Relax Or DIE posted:

when I played a ton of melee/brawl with friends on college we did time because it meant everyone got to play for the entirety of every match. the skill levels were sometimes mismatched enough that weaker players would end up sitting out for half the run time of a stock match.
OK, fair. Most of my Melee college crew was pretty evenly matched and stock made things way more exciting.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

ROFL Octopus posted:

I have a compulsion to get switch games on cartridge :negative:
Same. I know Nintendo is pretty good about this sort of thing but I dread having my Switch crash/get broken and losing all of my games at Nintendo's whim.

Also a 15% difference is loving nothing for a game that will take 15-20 seconds to load at worst.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

This has probably been asked but this thread is a million pages long, so: can you unlock characters by playing online matches, like you do if you spend enough time in local multiplayer matches?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Anyone know if there's any way to allow two people to have separate online GSPs on the same Switch, without having to buy another Nintendo Online account?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So what actually makes Elite Smash different from regular Smash? Just different playerbases?

Turtlicious posted:

E: you also can't have been punished. As that makes you ineligible to be elite. I d I nt know if it matters what you did but excessive teabagging, targeting, and bailing on matches are what I see streamers do who aren't elite.
Did Nintendo actually implement a punishment for teabagging because if so loving :laffo: at everyone who pulls that poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I've played about 200 matches online so far and I've painstakingly made my way to 1.25M GSP with my boys Marth and Robin. Then I decided to do some gently caress-around 4-player item matches with a bunch of characters I never play, and thanks to the chaos that is 4-player item games I now have a 1.35M GSP with Zelda. I have no idea how to play Zelda. I keep playing matches thinking "ok this is the time I'm going to gently caress up and drop Zelda's GSP below my actual mains" but I keep at least making 2nd and her GSP keeps going up :pwn:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Deified Data posted:

How does Pac's neutral B work, the one that cycles items for him to throw? Seems like there's a lot going on there.
Already beaten like three times on the explanation, but here's a list of all the items if you're interested.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Bonus_Fruit

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah Ganondorf is just made to murder bosses. He's stupidly fun to play with in WoL.

And in general.
I started playing dorf in 1v1s and he's constantly slipping in and out of being my highest GSP at 3.5-3.7M. I have absolutely no idea how to play him and I basically spend all of my time spamming Flame Chokes and horribly timed dorfkicks.

It works anyway because everyone at that level expects me to be playing better, so I'll fsmash at the wrong time and they'll roll into it anyway because who the gently caress would try fsmashing then??? And then they lose a stock because fsmash kills at like 30%.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

OK I think I just had the single most satisfying moment in smash I've ever had.

Me as dorf vs Greninja, my opponent is owning the poo poo out of me because I suck with dorf. He takes my first stock, starts teabagging and jumping around like a maniac. I respawn and hit B and he's too busy teabagging and jumping around to notice, and so he gets loving warlock punched and dies.

Then if that weren't enough he promptly SDs next stock to make it 1-2, probably just to prove that he can beat me with one stock. He doesn't get either of my stocks before I kill him.

I mostly play dorf just to gently caress around but holy poo poo I'm still on a high from this :lol:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Nerf Jigglypuff so she has Kirby's air speed. gently caress you you pink piece of dogshit just floating away in the opposite direction for 500 years

Fighting Jigglypuff is like... exhausting. They die early, but it's like climbing a mount to catch them
Make them come to you.

Whenever I end up in a fight against Jigglypuff, I literally do nothing until they attack first. A Jigglypuff player wants you to attack so they can dodge and punish, so just... don't attack. Jigglypuff has zero range, so if they want to win, they have to come to you, and eventually they'll get fed up. Hasn't failed me yet.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: Oh my god, Jigglypuff players really don't know what to do if you don't approach them. This is amazing
Works every time :q:

I swear the only reason Jigglypuff players have any success is because they can use their endless dodging to make their opponents go into a rage of "omg why am I losing to Jigglypuff come back here you rear end in a top hat!" Take away their ability to do that and they can't do poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

jivjov posted:

What exactly happened with this, anyway? How does Atlus effect when Nintendo releases DLC?
Atlus posted an announcement of an announcement last month for something called "P5S", which people are theorizing means Persona 5 for the Switch. The only thing it said was that there was going to be another announcement about it on April 25th, so it seems like Nintendo is waiting for that.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

What's the best way to deal with Richters/Simons who insist on playing Battlefield and then corner camp all day long? I play Marth and you just can't get near them through the storm of crosses, axes, and holy waters. And on the off-chance you do, they just grab or whip you away and then run to the other side.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

Here is a question/topic to discuss:

Who is/are your main(s), and do you enjoy ditto matches with them?

I main WFT and unsurprisingly I don't think I've ever actually played a Wii Fit Trainer ditto.

Whereas I also use Captain Falcon and god drat if Falcon dittos aren't one of the purest forms of fun in Smash
I basically never get Marth dittos because everyone uses Lucina instead, but they're... interesting. I use the shield breaker and side-b a lot which tends to throw a lot of high-GSP Marths off their game. They spend all game short-hop-nairing and expect me to do the same, and I just... don't. I did get one recently though who beat me and got all his kills with upsmash, that was weird.

I literally cannot remember the last time I had a Robin ditto. I've definitely had at least one, but it was so long ago I don't remember anything about it.

Ganondorf dittos are hilarious and I wish for one every time I play dorf.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I just saw it for the first time and assumed it was some bad fanart until people started saying it was the real thing and my goodness how did that ever get the green-light?
It was 2008 and it was cool to be Edgy(tm)

EDIT for more edgy

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Characters with the highest GSP: K. Rool, Bowser Jr, Piranha Plant
Characters with the lowest: Cloud, Wolf, Greninja, etc

I love playing characters like Cloud and Wolf but I just can't seem to do well with them like I can with characters that are considered low tier. I don't know what it is about the "bad" characters that I'm able to do well with them and less well with the "good" characters :shrug:

Joker is kind of a weird outlier where he's hovering in the 3 mil range usually. But like Cloud I can't get him past 100,000k, same with Wolf.
I feel like I'm in the same space where I'm constantly struggling to get Marth over 3M, even though I've played way more matches with him and know him way better, but can keep Robin at 4.5M almost effortlessly.

Honestly I think it's just opponent familiarity with the character. Everyone knows all of Marth's tricks thanks to the billions of Lucinas running around, but most people don't know how to deal with Robin because they never see them.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I entered the Smurf Zone tonight.

When we first got Smash, my wife reserved Chrom as her online character since we didn't want to buy another Nintendo Online account. She is very bad at Smash. Extremely bad. But she liked jumping into random 4-player matches and loving around and walking off the edge and killing herself, and she kept doing this until Chrom's GSP fell into the five-digit range at 80k. I promised not to play as Chrom to preserve her GSP so she'd keep getting matched with other terrible players.

She stopped playing several months ago, while my roster GSP climbed to 4M. Fast forward to today, I'm loving around as Roy and decide that hey, maybe I should give Chrom a shot. She hasn't played in months, so I ask if I can use Chrom now and she says yes. I don't want to smurf, but there's literally no way for me to play as Chrom without first getting matched with other 80k-GSP players. So I figure I'll be a dick for like five games, get his GSP out of the gutter, and then never have to worry about it again.

Turns out that Nintendo has anticipated this. If your roster GSP shows you to be an obvious smurf, you will only get matched with other obvious smurfs. Not only that, but getting out of the sub-100k GSP range is hard. You only gain about 500 for a win, so even breaking 100k took me like 25 games. The smurfs were still fairly easy to beat, because intentional smurfs always are, but they were not terribad like I was expecting. But since they're all getting matched against each other and have roughly equal skill, they're basically banished to the smurf zone forever. So to everyone complaining about how hard it is to get your GSP to Elite levels, just know: it could be worse :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Breaking shields with Marth's neutral-B is the best feeling.

It's incredible how few people know that you can angle it by holding up or down. I've caught so many people off-guard by charging one in midair while they sit in shield like a coward, and then release it downward a split-second before they roll away or spot-dodge because they think I have to land first.

I fought a Yoshi last night whose entire gameplan was to shield at all times, short hop bair or nair through me, and then shield again the moment they landed. This did not work out very well for them.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Holy poo poo, it took eight months but I fuckin did it!!!!

Then I got kicked out after five games :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I admit I haven't played that much since 4.0.0 dropped but are Heroes even that common? I've played maybe 20 matches and haven't seen a single one. People are making it sound like online is just filled with Heroes casting Zoom all day.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I won a game in Elite Smash earlier tonight as Robin with an Elwind spike. I didn't think I would ever get a kill that way even accidentally :lol:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

PhantomPayne posted:

Also does anyone have any tips for how to fight Jigglypuff? I main Incineroar and it's one of the most annoying matchups considering Jiggly is always floating/slapping around, and that stuff does a ton of damage to shield, easily starts a combo, and has a lingering hitbox.
Play their game and don’t attack them until they attack you first. Then dodge and punish.

If you approach, Jigglypuff can stay away from you forever until they see an opening, so save yourself the work and force them to come to you.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

lol

winning a game with Elwind will never not be funny

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

MechaX posted:

I think I have come to the realization that I kinda hate how neutral to close range/approaching kinda works in Smash Ultimate, at least in my low level of play. I just.. don't like playing matches where both players are trying to get in with short hops, random grabs, etc, etc.

On the other hand, I like playing Robin and trapping folks with Arcfire/thunder, fat-rear end Levin Sword swings, and satisfying Thorions. I just wish Robin either had stronger projectiles or a combo game, or just a little bit faster and not as floaty. I also like playing Samus and the Belmonts the most. I think I just like projectiles and predicting/reacting to what people will do in response, rather than trying to get in and usually getting blown up by random stuff.

... I miss Melee Samus.
I think my favorite Robin matches are ones against characters with a projectile absorber or reflector like Ness or Fox. Your opponent knows that you're a projectile-heavy character and will keep trying to find opportunities to use your projectiles against you, but you also know that they know this, and they know that you know and etc etc etc. The mindgames are great. I love baiting a Ness into using PSI Magnet and then slamming into them with Robin's doofy dash-stab. Half the time they're so confused by Robin running at them that they just keep the Magnet up and can't respond.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Char posted:

Also - certain characters feel unplayable (for a noob), as they're incredibly slow and predictable - I'm talking about the likes of Dedede, Incineroar or Ridley. Is this normal?
Depends on how you use them. If you go around trying to forward-smash everyone as Dedede you'll never hit anything, because that move is super-slow and easy to dodge. But he also has a bunch of moves that come out quickly, like his neutral-A combo, down-tilt, or up-air. For a bigger character it's usually a matter of using the smaller moves to put pressure on your opponent and get them into a situation where you can use the big moves and they can't get away.

It really comes down to the individual character and their options. It's not even a "big = slow and bad" thing either. Robin for example has almost exclusively slow moves, but they can use their specials to trap opponents and smash them while they can't react.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

In Training posted:

they need to buff Robin more
The Thunder charge speed buff is pretty nice though. Now I'm mixing up Elthunders and Arcthunders all day and throwing off basically everyone's dodge timing.

What Robin needs is a way to loving land. Facing five billion Terrys with no landing lag of any kind has been driving that point home hard today.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Your Computer posted:

what sort of GSP do you need to get elite? 6m?
Nobody knows the exact number, but this website has people post their GSPs when they hit elite and averages them to get a decent estimate: https://www.elitegsp.com/

About 5.64m as of this post.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Your Computer posted:

well that feels even worse, I must've been 50k away from it when I lost like 800k points getting my rear end kicked by some Ganondorf. I... I think I'm just done playing Smash :smith:
FWIW your GSP gains actually slow down substantially once you near elite, so you were still probably like 5 wins away :shepicide:

But also just never rematch. No matter how much you may think "I've got this guy figured out, I'll definitely win next time", you'll be putting extra pressure on yourself and make it easier to gently caress up. Plus your opponent has figured you out too and will be playing even better next time.

And more importantly, speaking as someone who's been 300k below elite for basically the entirety of the game's lifetime, being in that range still means you're in the top 10% or so of online players. So maybe don't worry too much about some arbitrary cutoff and just have some fun smashing bros. :)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Skeletome posted:

Guys I need advice. I love playing Ridley but realised he's all I play.

I like characters with range on their attacks who are fun to play off stage. Mewtwo is pretty cool but doesn't hit that same itch of meteor smashing or hitting a mid air skewer?

Who should I try? Meteor smash or fun off stage moves preferred.
Robin!

Stupidly powerful aerials and meteor dair (if the Levin Sword is out), Elwind alone can get you back to the ledge all the way from the blast line, and when you're feeling really cheeky you can snipe someone offstage with a quick Elthunder and it's powerful enough to kill.

(This is probably actually bad advice, but I love Robin)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, how would this even work?

If there was really even some sort of kerfuffle in the first place, the more likely scenario would be they shuffled the release dates around for the characters and shifted Byleth for someone else. Instead of just somehow redressing the entire character and their stage and acquiring the music in time from another character.
Yeah I kind of get the feeling that Byleth might have been planned for Fighter Pass 2, but then Nintendo realized that the big DLC for Three Houses was coming out around the February 2020 deadline for pass 1 and said "this is a no-brainer for marketing, let's put Byleth in now."

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Fungah!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Any Robin players have some tips for going up against Byleth? It feels like it should be easy because every Byleth has exactly the same gameplan for the entire match:
  • Jump backwards and float back in, then use fair or bair (sometimes side-B to be spicy)
  • Dodge on landing
  • ftilt or utilt
Problem is that Robin can't get through any of that. The back jumps always take Byleth out of reach; Byleth's fair, bair, and side-B cancel every one of Robin's projectiles; and Robin's grounded moves don't come out fast enough to beat Byleth's tilts. I still have a decent Elite winrate against Byleth, but it feels like it should be higher considering every Byleth player plays exactly the same way.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Chakram posted:

Not a Robin guy but I do dabble with her so I'll throw some ideas out there. First thing that comes to mind is throwing out an Arcfire that isn't meant to hit them, but will be there on the ground for them to play around, then responding to how they respond to it. The slow FEs are weird but projectiles are an advantage that Robin has on Byleth. Arcthunder is good too for the lingering hitbox obviously, just like Arcfire. I don't think Robin has the luxury of aggression in this matchup so you just have to try an maintain control by having hitboxes out there. Back-air and forward-air to respond to their approach maybe?
The problem is that Byleth never really "approaches". Their entire gameplan is to stay juuuuuuuust out of reach forever, and their side-airs have longer reach than Robin's. Arcthunder isn't great either because Areadbhar is so long that they can detonate it without getting hit. Placing an Arcfire under them sounds like a good idea though, I'll have to try that.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Love to charge up a Thoron as Robin, never fire it, and have my opponent accidentally SD out of fear :q:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Beamed posted:

Three people in a row in quick play unplugged their switches after I won to protect their precious GSP. Little do they know it only gives me more power.
Doesn't DCing cause your GSP to drop anyway? They're just doing it to keep yours from going up, the cowards.

It's particularly rampant right on the edge of Elite.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I love how so many people in Elite legitimately seem to have no idea that Robin has a meteor smash, and will happily try to challenge me offstage. :q:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

curiousCat posted:

Doesn't she have two?
Yeah, but one (Levin dair) is way easier to use than the other (Elwind). Either way, please keep jumping towards me while I'm offstage, Elite players!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Corn is a dumbass
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

"I thought the part of arkham asylum where the joker makes the game glitch out meant my game was broken so I returned it" :allears:
This actually makes me feel a whole lot better about myself because I did this :negative: Now I know I'm not the only one!!!!