Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Arguably-best-wrestler-in-the-world AJ Styles winning matches as champion is A Good Thing and I don't care if it "wastes" the Royal Rumble stip :colbert:. Well that's my hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The brand split and women's equality stuff is really messing with the structure of these shows now. It was weird having two women's title matches AND a women's MITB. Like the level of heat/interest in the women's division is not nearly high enough to justify all three of those segments. Yet all three have become mandatory. That's not good!

When Brock's around, that's 4 "top" titles that need to be on a show. Unless you leave a title off, which really shouldn't be happening. You cannot sustain interest and hype for 4 "top" title matches, so you're gonna have world championship matches intentionally laid out as midcard filler stuff and it's just gonna bring down the overall quality and hype for everything.

Man I'm not against the brand split on principle but doing co-branded specials all the time is really gonna kill some heat all around.

That's another thing NXT shows have going for them actually. None of this baggage to have to book around. You can actually build a typical show around a proper climax in a top title match.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rarity posted:

The women's matches were the only decent matches of the night though. And between Rousey, Asuka and ladder chaos there was enough heat to cover all three easily.

sticklefifer posted:

I bet you complain about Battlefield V too.
Ha poor choice of words, I just mean that there are now two brands with two singles divisions each so it really bloats these PPV cards, between the mandatory title matches and whichever stipulation match is that month. I picked on the women because it's the new thing WWE is pushing while having far smaller rosters to work with.

There was indeed good women's wrestling last night, but in a perfect world I feel Asuka/Carmella wouldn't have been on this show. But, there's a Smackdown women's title represented on the PPV, so they get a slot. Fact is there are two small women's divisions, each with their own champion... meaning two small pools of challengers get run through more quickly. Askuka gets a screwy silly loss on the same show that had a screwy finish in the Raw women's championship match. Bad booking is the real problem but it's really dumb when those storylines are happening like an hour apart on the same broadcast.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 18, 2018

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

the escape goat posted:

There is plenty of interest in the women's division, and the fact that they're getting more time and being treated as legitimate wrestlers rather than a sideshow is a pretty big deal, especially for female viewers and all the young girls that look up to wrestlers as role models. I know of many young girls who have incredible respect for the women's division and think "I could do that when I grow up" in a far healthier way than watching bra and panties matches or weird strip poker segments.

The women's division is a big deal in so many ways, and boo hoo for you that you have to go through the effort of fast-forwarding through something far more spectacular than having Roman and Jinder on our screens week in and week out.

Whinging about how all the women's matches aren't in a row so you can ignore the PPV for 30 minutes because the women still only get short matches unless it's a gimmick like MITB or Elimination Chamber? Seriously?

Literally complaining about "women's equality" about a company that will do PPVs in a country that wouldn't even allow women to show up on screen is quite a take.

As a female smark, I have one final thing to say to ya-

Go gently caress yourself.
I ain't mad about three women's matches. It's just that in this case, all three were in service of filling this complicated quota of title and stipulation matches that exists due to PPVs being co-branded and 4 hours.

Will this setup lend itself to dramatic matches where we witness a woman climb up the card? I doubt it. Co-branded PPVs means we are likely to get this same Title/Title/Stip configuration for the women's matches on every show.

Perhaps I underestimated the level of interest in the matches last night? If you were hyped then that's cool. :)

My main point is that they have too many mandatory spots to fill on these shows and it feels impossible to book these coherently into the emotional storytelling climaxes that make wrestling great.

• Locked thread