Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
oh... ill bet the turbines to move that water is noisy + the heated water leaves a signature of some sort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Sonoluminescence is also a thing.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Googling around it seems I underestimated diesel-electric, with the caveat of I doubt NK has the modern tech that provides much of the stealthiness (like AIP).

Theirs probably has to surface every few days at least (diesel on surface, battery underwater).

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

COMRADES posted:

Googling around it seems I underestimated diesel-electric, with the caveat of I doubt NK has the modern tech that provides much of the stealthiness (like AIP).

Theirs probably has to surface every few days at least (diesel on surface, battery underwater).

they follow the oil slick from the leaky engine

:discourse:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Submarines are really cool and interesting. I’d follow that thread. I know nothing about them in any detail. :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Submarines are really cool and interesting. I’d follow that thread. I know nothing about them in any detail. :(

you can make your own and kill a journalist and not even come close to getting away with it

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Burt Sexual posted:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's a crazy timeline that hillary literally killed vilerat and donald trump, the idiot from the tv show brokered peace with north korea lmao

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

it's a crazy timeline that hillary literally killed vilerat and donald trump, the idiot from the tv show brokered peace with north korea lmao

Lol

We may never know how many goon deaths were averted in November 2016

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Literally nothing good will come of this. Signing agreements and breaking them is what North Korea does. Their leaders go back to their people and gloat about they openly disrespect international agreements and feeble foreigners are too pathetic to do anything about it.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Aschlafly posted:

Literally nothing good will come of this. Signing agreements and breaking them is what North Korea does. Their leaders go back to their people and gloat about they openly disrespect international agreements and feeble foreigners are too pathetic to do anything about it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. North Korea just wants to be in the Kool Kids Klub with America, which is what Kim and Trump will call the treehouse they plan to make at the DMZ.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Imagine if the US and DPRK formed a new "rogue nation axis" comprised of countries who really don't give a poo poo about international law.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Aschlafly posted:

Imagine if the US and DPRK formed a new "rogue nation axis" comprised of countries who really don't give a poo poo about international law.

the US, DPRK, and Liechtenstein and when Liechtenstein swear they aren't in the axis the US and DPRK just play off like they are being modest

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
An unlikely buddy comedy in the making.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Aschlafly posted:

it'll be pretty lulzy to hear trump whine about someone breaking a signed agreement

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aschlafly posted:

Literally nothing good will come of this. Signing agreements and breaking them is what the USA does. Their leaders go back to their people and gloat about they openly disrespect international agreements and feeble foreigners are too pathetic to do anything about it.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aschlafly posted:

a new "rogue nation axis" comprised of countries who really don't give a poo poo about international law.

What is, the US and Israel?

I'll take Illegal Land Seizures for $200, Alex

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Caganer posted:

it'll be pretty lulzy to hear trump whine about someone breaking a signed agreement

He won't.
He can't be seen to be double-crossed.
They'll claim that the agreement was time limited or some poo poo and that was part of the plan or that "This last year of no test launches is better than Obama ever did or Hillary ever could have! Great long term peace! Too bad!" or what the gently caress ever.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Caganer posted:

oh... ill bet the turbines to move that water is noisy + the heated water leaves a signature of some sort

It's the pumps that move the cooling water that make the most noise. One of the noisiest nuke subs was the Alfa because of it's liquid metal cooling system. But it was so fast and so deep diving it just didn't matter.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Julius CSAR posted:

One of the noisiest nuke subs was the Alfa because of it's liquid metal cooling system. But it was so fast and so deep diving it just didn't matter.

That's kind of awesome because imagine being an enemy crew and you can clearly hear it and know it is coming but you can't do anything about it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

COMRADES posted:

That's kind of awesome because imagine being an enemy crew and you can clearly hear it and know it is coming but you can't do anything about it.

The thing is that they can't hear poo poo going at that speed and generating that kind of noise. So while they're faster than your sub, you can quietly maneuver into a position where your MK48 torpedo is going to to make a fool out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

COMRADES posted:

Blistex posted:

The thing is that they can't hear poo poo going at that speed and generating that kind of noise. So while they're faster than your sub, you can quietly maneuver into a position where your MK48 torpedo is going to to make a fool out of them.

Yeah that’s the catch with high underwater speeds. Also Alfa’s were so loud that when rounded the north cape and turned south you could hear them all the way down to Bermuda

• Locked thread