Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Inside you are two Sailor Moons
The Seattle Mariners are playing their 41st season of baseball, following 40 disappointing seasons. One of only two teams to never even play in a World Series, along with the Expos/Nationals, being a fan of the Mariners usually just means enjoying the individual great performances that are nullified by the rest of the team.

As of this post in 2018, they've been pretty good and lead the AL West. They keep winning one run games, so it might all collapse according to nerds, but it is fun right now. Maybe they'll finally break the longest playoff drought in the majors?

Mariners to know:
Ichiro - One of the two greatest Mariners of all time, came back at the start of the year, but other than a few cool old man highlights couldn't really produce. Now is the Special Assistant to the Chairman. That means he doesn't play in games, but does everything else like he's going to play a game, because otherwise he would literally die. I never saw him when he was originally here, so the main thing I know him for on the field is that he's always the first guy in the post-win high five line and that's awesome.

James Paxton - Always been good, but constantly injured. Now he's extremely good and not injured. Keeping both of those things true is key to the hope for the playoffs.

Nelson Cruz - Proof that the DH is cool and good.

Robinson Cano - Graciously decided to let Dee Gordon have his natural position at 2B and save the Mariners 15 million dollars for this season.

Dee Gordon - Finally a great leadoff hitter. Super fun to watch on the bases.

Kyle Seager - The Less Interesting Seager, but the kind of super solid local star that teams need.

Felix Hernandez - Not good anymore. Doesn't seem to realize it.

Edwin Diaz - A young, lanky guy, but has a hell of a slider/fastball combo. A real good closer and a true blessing after the Fernando Rodney years.

Jean Segura - Buried under some of the bigger AL shortstop names, he's still really drat good. The trade for him and Mitch Haniger was the best thing Dipoto has done.

They're fun. Hopefully they'll get to October.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I didn't entirely neglect Haniger, but I file him as kind of like a (not as good) Mike Trout, where he's clearly very good but I think he's kind of boring.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Gordon Beckham is what pops out by default for a white middle infielder from create a player in MLB The Show.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Has there been any further word about Iwakuma? I know I've seen him in the Ms' dugout every so often, so I assume he's still rehabbing. He's the guy that got me into this team and I want to see him pitch again someday.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I'm hyped for Turn Ahead the Clock night. Then James Paxton and His Eagle Friend Bobblehead day the next day.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Paxton probably would have been okay if the defense hadn't melted down behind him. It is good to see that the team didn't give up after that inning because they absolutely would have in years past.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Co-Aces James Paxton and Wade LeBlanc

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I like the idea of the Mariners spending $240 million to get Cano and then being the best the year he can't play most of it. Don't let him back in the clubhouse after the suspension!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Cook screaming poo poo the second the ball went off the bat was a perfect summation of the moment

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I wonder if the Mariners try to resign Cruz for next season. I feel like they have to keep Dee at second, but then you run into a jam about what to do with Ryon Healy, Vogelbach and Cano.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I’m still holding strong on my claim the mariners will be in first place at the break

I think that would be hard just because they don't have any head to head games. Both have fairly weak schedules to the break, but I feel like the Angels and Rockies are still going to be tougher for the Ms, especially with it just being two series with each of them back to back. The Astros get to range across bad teams of the AL.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Chris Davis' likely best moment of the year, erased.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I'm going on Saturday and planning to buy a future shirsey, so they better win that one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

13 games left with Houston, so the M's are going to have their shots to take the division.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I loved the Dee kept untucking and retucking it as he went from batting to the field after the ump made him tuck it in for his first AB.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

It felt like a little bit more for a random Sunday game, but not a ton. It was also a bobblehead day which always spikes attendance.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Also Mike Zunino seems very nice, but he is an extremely bad hitter. I don't know how he manages to look like he's figured it out every year then crash hard. I wonder if the Mariners should be looking for a catching upgrade at the deadline.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Today was an extremely frustrating game. So many opportunities that weren't or were barely cashed in on.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

So Felix on the DL with a case of Being Bad At Pitching?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Are the Mariners wearing the dark blue jerseys more this year than in previous ones? I feel like they are.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Expectations...Tempered.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Paxton's mustache is bad though. Unless it gives him extra pitching powers.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Mariners are starting Felix and the Blue Jays have Tyler Clippard. Both teams looking for their starters to get two innings with 5 runs or less given up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

This thread needs to ride through the Mariners coming back, fading away, coming back, then faceplanting in the last weekend.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I didn't actually watch the game, but can someone tell me why Felix was left out to die so utterly? Just based on the box it makes no sense why he went out for the 6th at all.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Ejected because he got mad about being called for the balkiest balk that anyone has ever balked.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Dear Cincinnati Reds,

We heard you like former aces who are now broken and banished to the bullpen...

I'm glad I got to see Felix pitch in 2014. It was a hell of a year and as much as I love Kluber, Felix probably would have been the AL Cy Young that year if his worst start of the year hadn't been right when the votes needed to go in.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

The Mariners are good again and this will never change!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

The radio guys were cracking up for the rest of the game after Dee's homer and it was hilarious.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

lol balk

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

If Felix managed to pitch around the effectiveness he had tonight for the rest of the year, I'd be ecstatic.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Edwin Díaz is cool and good

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

It is fitting that the Padres gave the Mariners the last rites for their playoff hopes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I'm expecting the Mariners to win the Oakland series to look like they're back in it, then get wrecked by the Orioles.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Shiroc posted:

The Mariners are good again and this will never change!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I had wondered how many more years Seager had on his contract and found this page: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/seattle-mariners-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

I knew the Mariners had most of their money wrapped up in just a few guys, but I hadn't realized just how stark it was.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

I like the Mike Fiers trade right now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

A split is the worst outcome for this series. It doesn't get them any closer, but it also doesn't bury them so I can stop hoping like if they had gotten swept.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

A guy was trying to start a wave with 1 out in the 9th. Yes, Extremely Bro Dude, you should try to distract everyone from Edwin Díaz, the most exciting player on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

RIP 2018 Seattle Mariners, Our Expectations Are Tempered.

• Locked thread