Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
This the place for future tears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

This is your periodic reminder that we got Mitch Haniger and Jean Segura for Taijuan Walker and Ketel Marte.

Just posted by the baseball reference facebook page:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If I didn't mess up checking for it - the last time the M's were 20 games over .500 was August 24th, 2007.

The M's beat the Rangers 4-2 to go to 73-53.
Still top of his game Ichiro went 3-5.
Jose Vidro was the DH
Raul Ibanez was 3-4 when he got subbed out for Adam Jones. I think it might have been defense related. Maybe.
A version of Felix so young that it makes me wistful got the win, striking out 7 over 6 innings.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Is June over yet?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

No, but we're through the rough part. The last six games are against the Orioles and Royals, so hopefully we can go out on a win streak.

I know. Just hope they get right back to mowing down the dregs like they're supposed to.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Good start last night.

Putting on my Homer brand rose colored novelty glasses:

Even after the Hou/Bos/Ny/Bos stretch, the M's right now are playing at a 98 win pace. I'll take it and be happy.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

This is like a dogs playing poker painting:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
From the "The 2nd half of the season will go just like the 1st half" file:

The record for most 100 win teams in a season is 3.
The most a single league has ever had is 2.
After finishing the sweep of the O's, the M's are back on pace for 100 wins which of course gives the AL a ridiculous 4.

Out of the 58 wild card teams since 1995, the 2001 A's have been the only 100 game winner. Since the AL Central doesn't seem to want to join the party, we're on pace for two 100 win wild card teams, and a 100 win team gets sent packing after a single game. Beats being the 1993 Giants, though.

Side note - in looking up past wild card team win totals, I had forgotten how nuts the 2015 NL Central was. 100, 98, and 97 game winning teams in the same division?

Edit : Looked up the best winning percentage for a team that didn't make the playoffs since the World Series came into being. The answer is pre-wildcard, of course. The 1909 Cubs. 104-49, but managed to finish 6.5 in back of the Pirates. A .680 winning percentage that would come out to 110 wins in a 162 game season. A year after winning the World Series, and you don't get to go back despite having an amazing year. Oh well, there's always next year.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 29, 2018

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Trout goes 0-3 with an IBB. I can live with that.

Ohtani 0-4 with 3 Ks. I can gloat with that.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

I know. Just hope they get right back to mowing down the dregs like they're supposed to.

Heh. They won 8 straight games after I posted that - doing just what they should do.

And I'm immediately back to mentally chicken littleing like an idiot after last nights game.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So the M's won last night. By more than one run even. Sky status : not falling again.

Was reading the LL article about Dee's catch last night and ended up in the Youtube rabbit hole. So here's a reminder that Mike Cameron did this in his 4th game as a Mariner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vV5Zm-Cqk

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Please stop tempering me now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
My current silver lining is that the M's won't be paying Felix past the age of 33. At least he was still young the last time they extended him.

Honest question - will the $27M the M's pay Felix in 2019 be the worst spent money in baseball? Suppose it depends on how Pujols or Miggy do.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Chris Davis is making 21M, so...

Knew there was someone I was forgetting. Davis may just run away with it.
Man. B-R says it's $23M in 2019 for Davis. Not to mention, 2020, 2021, 2022...

And that pales in comparison to Cabrera's contract. Like I said - I found the silver lining with Felix. At least he'll be off the books soon.

Pretty much. 2014 seems so long ago.
Sheesh. Looking at his stats, I distinctly remember thinking that 2015 really felt like an off year for Felix at the time. What I wouldn't give for him to have stayed at that level now. It's just been a horrible injury filled cliff since then.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 29, 2018

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

logger posted:

Yeah it was, what a great stadium. I was 10 last time I went to a Mariners game and the Kingdome was still standing.

I went somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years without going to an M's game at one point. Stupidly/Oddly enough it coincided with Griffey's career. Between no longer collecting baseball cards after 1988, being a broke college student in the early 90s, and being an even more broke graduate student in the mid to late 90's - I managed to not go to a single game from the entire 1989 season up until finally being done with school and catching one last game at the Kingdome in early 1999. Think I caught 1-2 games at Safeco that year as well, and that was it for me seeing Griffey until his return 10 years later.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

Well the Mariners are bad and Seahawks are going to be bad and there is no basketball in Seattle. Feels like 2008!

2008 also had the Huskies football team go 0-12 and even saw Tuba Man get murdered. What a poo poo show.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I specifically asked for Spike Owen. drat it, Lowtax.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Chows posted:

The Ms are back, baby

The 1979 kind.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I totally called a four game sweep of the Astros. Just forgot to post about it ahead of time. I swear.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So Brock and Salk apparently has the Astros Rants twitter guy on today following the sweep?

Anyone listen?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Astros and the A's pairing up for a series. I honestly don't know what to root for.

Edit : Seems so boring and mathematical, but I guess I'm just going to root against which ever team has the better record for each game. So, go A's for today. Kinda.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 17, 2018

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Astros and the A's pairing up for a series. I honestly don't know what to root for.

Edit : Seems so boring and mathematical, but I guess I'm just going to root against which ever team has the better record for each game. So, go A's for today. Kinda.

Hey guys. I think I just redefined “moot point.”

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shiroc posted:

It is fitting that the Padres gave the Mariners the last rites for their playoff hopes.

Perhaps, though continuing to piss on their grave the next day has been uncalled for.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shiroc posted:

I'm expecting the Mariners to win the Oakland series to look like they're back in it, then get wrecked by the Orioles.

All aboard!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Hey Charlie Mariner, why don't you come make these playoffs?

Edit : drat, but I think Kyle looks a bit like Charlie Brown now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
While blowing this team to pieces would probably be the best thing to do - you know drat well that they're never going to do it. Mariners turning a profit = Stay the course.

At least Felix is gone after next year.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Smoak's been "pretty good" for the Blue Jays.

I'm so ashamed that the Mariners first picked Ackley though.

Edit: Second pick overall, after Strasburg.

He was an absolute consensus #2 pick. I doubt any other team doesn’t make that pick.

The pick to be pissed about is Hultzen. Be very very pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shiroc posted:

My heart tells me that the Mariners are going to hold on just long enough to get eliminated at home by the As. A terrible collapse concluding with the As celebrating on the Mariners own field. Maybe even with Fernando Rodney finishing it and doing the goddamn arrow.

After Diaz blows a shot at a 63rd save in the top of the inning.

• Locked thread