Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ultima66
Sep 1, 2008

So a few months ago, I started having issues with my desktop where everything would just shut off and reboot itself all of a sudden under high load. After a bunch of testing various components and finding that both CPU stress tests and GPU stress tests caused the power off after a while, I ended up replacing the PSU, which fixed the issues.

Now this weekend, while playing games all of a sudden my monitors just turned a solid color. I had to power off the machine and turn it back on. After booting back into Windows it gave me a notification saying my Display Driver couldn't start and to update it. This was happening pretty consistently under high load after updating as well as clean uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics driver. I was pretty confident at this point that my GPU was busted, so yesterday I decided to buy a new GPU from the local Best Buy for testing (since I could return it easily). Things went well for a few hours, but then all of a sudden my computer suddenly shut down. I decided to run some more stress testing today, so I turned on the machine and ran FurMark, figuring that I knew the GPU wouldn't be broken since it's brand new and I just wanted to stress the system. After an hour of FurMark (with the temperature peaking at 70C), nothing strange happened so I closed it and decided to check my email.

As I go to check my email, bam, the screen turns a solid blue again. It flickered a bit looking like it might come back but then didn't, so I powered off the machine again. I couldn't get it to post when I tried to turn it back on, and figuring something might be shutting down when I boot it due to overheating, I waited an hour. An hour later, still won't post. I took out the GPU and plugged into my motherboard's DVI port, something I had done before when trying to check if the CPU or GPU was having problems, and still nothing. Got some advice to try taking a single stick of RAM out at a time in case the memory was bad, but this didn't seem to lead anywhere. For the record, fans turn on because I hear something making noise, and my power button LED lights up. However, I get no output to the monitors and the fan attached to my heatsink isn't spinning, which from my understanding should always be spinning.

Is there any chance anything besides the motherboard is dead, and would a failing motherboard be the reason I got those graphics crashes with "Display Driver couldn't start" errors in the first place? Occam's Razor leads me to believe that multiple parts wouldn't be failing at once, but all I have are the symptoms to go by. And as an aside, when I replaced the power supply I replaced it with an older power supply I had from another system, though that one had higher wattage than the one I was using anyways, and it seems unlikely both power supplies died? I do think the previous power supply died though, considering swapping the power supply gave me a few months of running with no issue.

Also, I suppose a bit unrelated, but if the motherboard is dead, what should I do? Is it even reasonable to buy a new motherboard, take everything out of my current case, put my old CPU into a new motherboard and put that new motherboard back into the case, and then hook up everything again? I mean I suppose that's possible but that might be a recipe for more issues and also sounds like a shitload of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ultima66 posted:

Is there any chance anything besides the motherboard is dead, and would a failing motherboard be the reason I got those graphics crashes with "Display Driver couldn't start" errors in the first place?

Yes, many things could have issues. RAM/HD/PSU failure is also possible.

Ultima66 posted:

Occam's Razor leads me to believe that multiple parts wouldn't be failing at once...

If it's a newer machine it's usually only one issue. But an older machine could easily have two or more separate issues.

Ultima66 posted:

...when I replaced the power supply I replaced it with an older power supply I had from another system, though that one had higher wattage than the one I was using anyways, and it seems unlikely both power supplies died?

Wattage is not the primary factor in PSU operation. Brand and ratings are more important. Also, using old/junky PSUs can damage equipment.

Ultima66 posted:

Also, I suppose a bit unrelated, but if the motherboard is dead, what should I do? Is it even reasonable to buy a new motherboard, take everything out of my current case, put my old CPU into a new motherboard and put that new motherboard back into the case, and then hook up everything again? I mean I suppose that's possible but that might be a recipe for more issues and also sounds like a shitload of work.

Need to know the exact system information and age to give this advice. Use the template.

Zogo fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 20:59