Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The thing that gets me about the whole thing is that the game seems to think that Kara, Luther, and Alice are trying to make a land crossing to Canada. Which would require them to either go to New York or Minnesota. The closest tunnel is in Detroit so I have no idea how they get from Zlatko's house to a creepy abandoned theme park in the middle of nowhere on the way to the city that they haven't actually left yet?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 23 with Anticheese is now up. Even in the far reaches of such mystical lands as New Zealand, the American history that David Cage is poorly imitating is obvious.

I don't even know if that sentence makes any sense because migraine has me in its grip but someone correct me and I'll edit it later. I just want to get this update posted for tonight.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"Domestic Disputes from the WORLD OF TOMORROW." made me lose my poo poo. So thanks for that.

CirclMastr posted:

I don't even know if that sentence makes any sense because migraine has me in its grip but someone correct me and I'll edit it later. I just want to get this update posted for tonight.
The sentence makes perfect sense. Rose even so much as says "BLACK PEOPLE WERE SLAVES" when you ask her why she's helping you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They could have told the cop to leave and the story wouldn't suffer for it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aren't androids mass-produced in this game? Like, the ad showed that Kara is a standard model. Shouldn't it be way easier to tell who's an android? Even if that cop hadn't been told which model to look for, don't they have facial recognition technology? Just pull out your phone and go "Oh look, you're an android."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yo don't let the cops come into your house, poo poo

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Tiggum posted:

Aren't androids mass-produced in this game? Like, the ad showed that Kara is a standard model. Shouldn't it be way easier to tell who's an android? Even if that cop hadn't been told which model to look for, don't they have facial recognition technology? Just pull out your phone and go "Oh look, you're an android."

Well, I think that's the whole magazine thing, because that's Kara's model, so he'd look at the magazine, look at Kara, and go "Look, twins. Why don't we have a conversation downtown?" Elsewise... I mean, no temple LED, she's clearly a human. Duh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lazy Bear posted:

Well, I think that's the whole magazine thing, because that's Kara's model, so he'd look at the magazine, look at Kara, and go "Look, twins. Why don't we have a conversation downtown?" Elsewise... I mean, no temple LED, she's clearly a human. Duh.

But everyone knows that androids can turn off their LED's right?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
ACAB, Kara!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Tiggum posted:

But everyone knows that androids can turn off their LED's right?

If they know, folks keep forgetting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It could be a combination of Cyberlife not knowing what happens with Deviants and intentionally keeping people in the dark on what they do actually know.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's interesting - and entirely unremarked on by the game - that Alice, a human, seems to be including herself with the androids in that little bedside conversation.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

malkav11 posted:

It's interesting - and entirely unremarked on by the game - that Alice, a human, seems to be including herself with the androids in that little bedside conversation.

Given that Luther wanted to talk to you about her earlier, and since the game has already demonstrated that child androids are a thing, what do you think the odds are that Todd's wife actually took their daughter and Todd bought an android to replace her in an attempt to feel like he isn't a complete failure?

Then again, this is David Cage we're talking about. That sort of subtlety is usually beyond him.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 24 with Dan and Grace is up. It's easy to raise a resistance when you can just brainwash the populace into supporting you!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Cop lover.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

spare the poh-leece

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I just realized that the cop and Grace are both named Chris. So there's a joke there about Dan wanting to kill Grace but it probably needed to be told in the moment. C'est la vie.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 25 with Miz Kriss is now up. It turns out the guy who invented androids is a pretentious jerk and not, y'know, a computer or engineering nerd. Makes perfect sense.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

He was so pretentious my router barfed halfway through the recording

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A cop visiting a private household and his non-cop advisor decides on breaking private property and discharging a firearm not belonging to him, in a presumably blue city, is too difficult to consider for David Cage.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

It doesn't even have to be that complex! Chain of command: civilian stranger orders you to fire weapon, buddy cop Hank says "no, we're leaving," and yet somehow instead of the natural response of, "well, my boss says no, so I'm outta here, smug weirdo," the whole dang thing is about Connor? gently caress you, David Cage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

It doesn't even have to be that complex! Chain of command: civilian stranger orders you to fire weapon, buddy cop Hank says "no, we're leaving," and yet somehow instead of the natural response of, "well, my boss says no, so I'm outta here, smug weirdo," the whole dang thing is about Connor? gently caress you, David Cage.

It doesn't even have to derail the scene. Just keep the existing options plus one to obey Hank, in which case Connor pretends that he's just following orders but is obviously relieved to have the excuse and then outside the house tells Hank that he couldn't have done it anyway.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Logic and common sense do not exist for David Cage

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

liquidypoo posted:

i had A LOT OF WORDS go through my head about that entire scene from a programmer's perspective, too. this entire spiel about empathy that he had was incredibly inappropriate coming from a technologist without first defining what empathy means and how he is measuring it. his test means nothing because he didn't bother to establish what his suppositions were and what his expected outcomes are. a look at all the ink spilled on the turing test that he loves so much should show how important this is. the definitions for how to define a pass go back 300 years before alan's time (alan himself quoted Descartes when reasoning about the test), and even alan was very, very careful to talk about what passing the test meant. it has to be evaluated in the very specific context that the machine is fulfilling. alan himself highlighted all of this by pointing out that you could 'pass' a test by saying he could design a lovely robot that played a subpar game of chess and putting a human that plays an equally subpar game of chess in another room, and the human would have a difficult time telling whether or not his opponent was human or not. that does in fact constitute a pass on the turing test, because the context is:

- in the game of chess
- with no non-chess interactions permitted
- at an unranked/beginner skill level
- with no distinguishing visual input for the human

so let's start to establish some of the context for the detroit androids - and, specifically, the Chloebot that he had:

- at some specific task (in this case, housekeeping/hostessing)
- with full faculties at the human's disposal
- with movement, speech, handling, and interaction (on the part of the robot) included

this is quite the context! you could argue that chloe's mood ring is an autofail because it is a dead giveaway she isn't human. but let's assume that for the test's purposes she has that papered over/removed. beyond that, we can come up with a very specific set of actions she must perform and responses she must support in order to ostensibly pass the test in the strict interpretation. stuff like walking, opening doors, moving to sitting, standing, kneeling positions, potentially using tools, and more. you will also note how much less context there is than alan's supposition in here. what interactions with chloe are permitted in the subject of the test? am i allowed to throw her out the window? or, more generally, do i have to stay within the context of hostessing and housekeeping? even within that context, can i ask for her to make me a souffle, or just a sandwich? if i have filet mignon and ribeye in the fridge, and i tell her to make me a steak, do i expect her to resolve the ambiguity herself, or does she have to ask me?

i'm willing to forgive all of this in terms of the game because 'turing test' is so much pop shorthand that i honestly don't expect people to really understand what it means, and trying to lecture the audience about all of that would be incredibly tedious. ultimately though all of this goes into the sort of seriousness and care you need to approach something like the empathy question with. how are you defining empathy? with EXACT terms? what are its practical effects? with EXACT, preferably mathematical terms? then, and only then can you start to maybe answer the question of how you test for it. and that will absolutely require a proposal that's dozens of pages long, it will need to be peer reviewed, etc.

again, i do not expect the game to show all of this and bore the audience with all the minutiae of how these words are being used and how he's walking through his proposals. but at the absolute least, your superstar programmer character should understand this in character. he should talk about these things with extreme care, precision, and deference. he should at least be saying poo poo like "i'm looking for a refusal to inflict harm upon specifically a form with physical similarity, specifically because the subject sees a bit of themselves in the other form." even that still leaves some ambiguity (how are you defining the subject's self, how similar is physical similarity, blah blah) but it's a good go at it for one sentence and for a lay audience.

he should not talk about these sorts of tests like an edgy teenager that just read Neuromancer for the first time.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 10, 2019

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 26 with Dan and Grace is now up. This is it, Peak Markus. It can never be more Markus than this.

Thanks, I hate it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I almost feel bad that Dan and Grace couldn't hear the Phillip Glass as gently caress music that was playing during that entire sequence.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

The problem with David Cage being so incompetent is that I can't tell if North's hair being under her backpack is an error or some sort of intentional thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Philly is in the spread open, rear end cheeks of my state. No surprise those people broke the robot.
Your komrades seem to exist as unchanging opposing forces for its own sake.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 27 with Coolguy is now up. Come find out if I screwed up at some point and need to replay previous chapters!

Also Coolguy admitted something was well-designed in this game, can you believe it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's not for lack of talent that this game is weird! you can definitely see the competence of the team oozing out.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 28 with Coolguy, Miz Kriss, Dan, and Grace is now up. Everybody come check out the worst plot twist of the game and listen to Dan poo poo on me instantly for it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Mostly I'm just glad someone finally knew what I meant when I yelled "HERE COMES THE PIZZA!" because I say that a lot

Like, a lot

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Be thankful that Circl doesn't title his episodes because we had the worst best chat before recording started.

Danaru posted:

Mostly I'm just glad someone finally knew what I meant when I yelled "HERE COMES THE PIZZA!" because I say that a lot

Like, a lot
Here comes the pizza!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Given that Luther wanted to talk to you about her earlier, and since the game has already demonstrated that child androids are a thing, what do you think the odds are that Todd's wife actually took their daughter and Todd bought an android to replace her in an attempt to feel like he isn't a complete failure?

Then again, this is David Cage we're talking about. That sort of subtlety is usually beyond him.

OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I WAS JOKING

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think deep down you knew it was coming all along.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Honestly deep down I didn't think David Cage was clever enough (stupid enough?) to think of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess Canada will become a super power since it doesn't have 80% of its economy dependent on rebellious machines.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

I guess Canada will become a super power since it doesn't have 80% of its economy dependent on rebellious machines.

They all just fight over over a game of hockey :v:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Oh my god, John and Josh ARE different characters. The lanky black guy with short hair who sacrificed himself for Markus last time was the spare one, not the main one; I had convinced myself last time that Josh must have joined at the parts depot mission and I just hadn't been paying enough attention.

It is super weird that they keep presenting Connor's decisions (which have obviously been decisions already) as purely part of COPBOT OVERRIDE. "Now that I have overcome my directive to follow orders, I am A-okay with the thought of these people having giant fuckoff blocks of C4 which they apparently intend to use, and the leader letting the homicidal lieutenant keep hold of the dirty bomb detonator. These are my best friends now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, why didn't Markus use his robo-jesus wifi brainwashing power to convert Connor rather than risk a gunpoint encounter?