Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
So Snow Cra...

Laterite posted:

1993: *reads Snow Crash* haha wow what a wild story

2018: :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Wait a minute, the title of the thread might itself be a reference to Snow Crash. Or maybe other cyberpunk fiction has a similar "corporations taking over for governments" theme? I don't know. Is Demolition Man considered cyberpunk? I doubt it. Oxballs, is thread title a reference to Snow Crash, or some other cyber punk book or film? Although, come to think of it, the main character of Snow Crash works for a fast food pizza chain, possibly even Dominoes itself, so my bet is the thread title is actually a reference to Snow Crash specifically, and not just to cyberpunk fiction in general. Oxballs, confirm or deny reference.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

The two above posts weren't meant to be rude or sarcastic, by the way. I'm just thinking out loud, so to speak. I really didn't the thread title's connection to cyberpunk at first. Thinking out loud via posting on a forum is probably not a good idea though, especially when I'm making multiple posts and cluttering up the thread, so I'll stop. Sorry.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
What happens when the birds eat the crust they used to patch the road?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Is snow crash a good read or just a cyberpunk staple

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

What happens when the birds eat the crust they used to patch the road?

Thems proprietary eatin

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Thanks, this gave me the idea for

holy poo poo

Kazak posted:

Is snow crash a good read or just a cyberpunk staple

Thems proprietary eatin

It's a cyberpunk staple basically, although the writing itself is kind of weak and there's a lot of random wacky-lol-antics.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Snow Crash and other cyberpunk stories sounded supercool and I imagined a universe of sticking a port into the back of my brain so I could live in a video game world.

Too bad the real cyber-future is people talking about meme warfare, blockchain huckstering and Domino's logos on potholes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kuddles posted:

Snow Crash and other cyberpunk stories sounded supercool and I imagined a universe of sticking a port into the back of my brain so I could live in a video game world.

Too bad the real cyber-future is people talking about meme warfare, blockchain huckstering and Domino's logos on potholes.

Don't forget flash trading

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's MY dystopic future and I want it NOW

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

DogonCrook posted:

Its totally this, dallas is building like 5 freeways at any given time while they are about to tear down the main one i-35 in downtown because they didnt have the budget to even submit a proposal to fix it. Like they couldnt even study how much it would cost and now the freeway is past due and the wheels of governemenr couldnt move fast enough to save it even if they had the money.

The drat that holds back all the water that allows the city to even exist fractured and started shooting geysers 100 of yards from the the drat. They have no money to fix it so it has 24 hour watch every time it rains for the last 6 years or so. They put a tarp over the thing and walked away. The department of homeland security deemed the failure too catastrophic to publicly say how many people it would kill. Independent engineers put it at like 1.5 million people under 30 ft of water instantly so lol. The city wont pay because its a federal drat. Lord knows why the feds wont pay but they never agreed to so i kinda understand their position when the city does zero upkeep to the investment. The city would rather die than pay the bill, they voted to put in a new stadium haha. Good loving riddance honestly but pretty much every city is looking at a bleak rear end future.

Lmao Dallas sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The one time I had to drive between Dallas and Houston we got 5 minutes down the highway, then sat in dead-stop on the highway for 2 hours because a 10'x7' chunk of overpass literally disintegrated onto the road below, leaving a gaping pit of rebar:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Giant-pothole-emerges-on-I-45-near-Hardy-Toll-10950288.php

• Locked thread