Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Offering a bit of a counter view, Mokrul responds, "It ...might be wise to clear this floor first, before heading downstairs. If there are any more ghouls or the like up here, they're sure to stir if we start poking at what is presumably the source of the magic animating them. Two or three at a time is a lot better than twenty or thirty pouring down the stairs at once, no?"
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (thinking) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (17) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2018 around 18:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin says, "It appears that the source of this madness lies beneath, back where Roc and I were investigating... but, I must admit, Mokrul's suggestion has merit. Who knows what foul forces might rally themselves to these cultists side, should we disrupt their ritual?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Brother Sorin posted:

" ... I must admit, Mokrul's suggestion has merit. Who knows what foul forces might rally themselves to these cultists side, should we disrupt their ritual?"
Permission to wander if he'd ever heard it, Mokrul begins to explore the uncleared hallway, carefully measuring each step, and warily eyeing his surroundings.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (17) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Moving down the dank halllway Mokrul finds himself in a, compared to the rest of the basement, well furnished area. A chandelier is suspended above a table in the middle of the room. Two high-backed chairs flank the table, which has an empty clay jug and two clay flagons atop it. Iron candlesticks stand in two corners, their candles long since melted away.

In the side room you can see a large wood-framed bed with a rotted mattress, a wardrobe, and an open crate. At the foot of the bed is wooden footlocker. Atop the bed are the decayed remains of a woman; the cause of death is obvious, as a twisted black knife is stuck in her chest.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

A chandelier is suspended above a table in the middle of the room.
Mokrul calls back to the others, "Uh, team? I found a ... basement chandelier? It's actually kind of tasteful, though definitely bad practice for subterranean architecture. That many open flames will really eat up the oxygen in a room. I guess if they're all zombies, or whatever, that doesn't matter, though..."

Plot posted:

Two high-backed chairs flank the table, which has an empty clay jug and two clay flagons atop it. Iron candlesticks stand in two corners, their candles long since melted away.
He idly wonders, why do you need candlesticks when you have a chandelier? Maybe they were transportable light, in case one wanted to wander from room to room. Couldn't the living dead see in the dark, though? If they weren't always undead, it made sense they would need a light source. That meant that they really shouldn't have had a basement chandelier, though. Maybe they died from asphyxiation, and that was how they turned into zombies. Honestly, it was a vicious circle of questions.

Plot posted:

In the side room you can see a large wood-framed bed with a rotted mattress, a wardrobe, and an open crate. At the foot of the bed is wooden footlocker. Atop the bed are the decayed remains of a woman; the cause of death is obvious, as a twisted black knife is stuck in her chest.
Mokrul calls back to the others, "Scratch that, I sort of buried the lead there. Probably should have looked at everything before shouting. There's another zombie over here, lying in wait, like ... ninety-nine percent sure. Maybe ninety-five. Lordorim? Sergeant?" Mokrul draws his bow, notching an arrow and pointing it at the dead woman lying atop the bed. "You aren't fooling anybody."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (on edge) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (17) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 14
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


Noroco looks to Sorin, then back to the alter, before starting to make his way back upstairs to regroup with the others, "This is a fair point. I would like not to have more ghouls coming up behind us, if possible."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 18/18 | 1/2: HD | Action Surge: Ready

Ovo posted:

In the side room you can see a large wood-framed bed with a rotted mattress, a wardrobe, and an open crate. At the foot of the bed is wooden footlocker. Atop the bed are the decayed remains of a woman; the cause of death is obvious, as a twisted black knife is stuck in her chest.

Waador posted:

Mokrul calls back to the others, "Scratch that, I sort of buried the lead there. Probably should have looked at everything before shouting. There's another zombie over here, lying in wait, like ... ninety-nine percent sure. Maybe ninety-five. Lordorim? Sergeant?" Mokrul draws his bow, notching an arrow and pointing it at the dead woman lying atop the bed. "You aren't fooling anybody."

"Well if you so insist sir Mokrul." Drawing his sword and with his shield held out before him, Lordorim approaches the prone body of the long decayed woman on the bed and observes it closely for a few seconds.

He then gave the knife a poke with the very tip of his blade.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The body neither reacts to Mokrul's shout nor the blade.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

The body neither reacts to Mokrul's shout nor the blade.
Mokrul is silent for a moment, and utterly still. Thinking. Was it a feint? A jump scare was forthcoming, he was sure. Ha ha, look at the corpse, definitely dead. Get too close, and bam, you're done. Still ... what choice was there?

Plot posted:

In the side room you can see a large wood-framed bed with a rotted mattress, a wardrobe, and an open crate. At the foot of the bed is wooden footlocker. Atop the bed are the decayed remains of a woman; the cause of death is obvious, as a twisted black knife is stuck in her chest.
With a sigh, Mokrul puts the arrow back into his quiver, and slings his bow back over his shoulder. Drawing a dagger in each hand before before taking a single step, he eventually advances into the room. "All right, I guess that one's actually dead. Boy, was I wrong. How embarrassing." He didn't believe a word of it, but was playing into the corpse's ego, making it think he'd dropped his guard.

He begins to give the room a cursory glance, flicking the wardrobe open with the blade of a dagger, and prying the crate open in much the same way. The footlocker follows afterwards, assuming the corpse doesn't spring its trap by then.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (on edge) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (17) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


[quote="professor_curly" post="487248999"]
Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 14
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


As he walks into the room with Mokrul, he glances around warily. This house had him on edge, 'twas true, but in other ways it was his ghostly companion that worried him most. He had a sneaking suspicion he knew who the woman here was, and he felt a deep sorrow that this is how Rose was going to learn the truth of her parents. He was not a fatherly figure himself - he didn't know how to try and comfort her, or if he should even try. It was a strange thing, this bond that was growing there.

"Don't take anything. I don't think I trust anything in this basement not to hold some sort of terrible curse. The chanting reinforces that thought, if I'm honest."

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The wardrobe contains not much aside from cobwebs, while the crate contains a pile of torches and a leather sack full of candles. The footlocker contains much more. On the top is a cloak made of fur and leather, intricate designs are sewn by the hem of scenes of hunting. Below the folded cloak are...

code:

- 4 Potions of Healing
- Chain Shirt
- Mess Kit
- Flask of Alchemist's Fire
- Bullseye Lantern
- Set of Thieves Tools
- A faded yellow wizards spellbook

As Mokrul roots through the room Rose appears and stands by the bed. She reaches out a hand towards the woman, but turns away and stands trembling near Noroco. "My Father. He needs to pay for what he has done." she says quietly, vanishing a moment later.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir posted:

"Don't take anything."
Mokrul nods to Noroco, offering, "That's good advice."

Footlocker posted:

... a cloak made of fur and leather, intricate designs are sewn by the hem of scenes of hunting ... potions of healing ... chain shirt ... mess kit ... alchemist's fire ... bullseye lantern ... thieves' tools ... spellbook.
After opening up the footlocker, he adds, "... you know, in theory." He reaches in without hesitation, slipping the flask of alchemist's fire into his pocket, and twirling the stylish cloak over his shoulders. "Come on, tell me this doesn't look great." He asks Noroco, thinking the man might know, "Wolf fur, I assume?"
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (on edge) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (17) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3) / Alchemist's Fire / Fur Cloak
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 14
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


"I'm starting to believe we shouldn't set up a company fort here. That seemed like a much better idea before we actually saw this place."

He adjusts his gloves, shifting a bit uncomfortably as he tries to suppress his inner turmoil that wasn't entirely his, "There is an alter down there, some pedestals with personal effects scattered around. The voices said 'One Must Die' if you didn't hear. So... Presumably whatever monster is around here is... summoned, by a blood sacrifice? The only thing I can think to do is just start blasting everything with magic and see what happens. Somehow I think putting something on the bloody alter is a terrible idea."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Mokrul considers Noroco's view for a moment, while liberating ... memorabilia ... from the footlocker. Admittedly, there was some wisdom in it. He responds, "I know where you're coming from. I guess it depends, right? Like any other vermin, ghosts and spirits can be dealt with. I wouldn't advocate burning a house down when all it really needs is a swarm of snakes to be released to deal with the rats, you know?" He does admit, "In fairness, the condition of the house is quite poor, and would require a fair amount of effort to bring it up to code. I can do that, but whether or not it is a good use of time is another matter. I do feel like it might be useful for morale for the town, though? Plus, turning a symbol of fear into a symbol of hope is a surefire way to make a name for ourselves in the area."

On the topic of the ... whatever it was ... going on downstairs, he chimes in, "As for the downstairs tenant demanding that 'one must die' ... well, again, doesn't that depend? Are they ghosts that need their teeth kicked in? Is it an evil ritual that was left in the 'on' position, but never finished? Basically, that gets to the core of my earlier concern. I can't tell which parts of this are 'ghosts being ghosts' and which parts of this are 'a magic house being a magic house'. A magic house can be reset to its factory settings, if one of us can manage to attune with it. Ghosts, for the most part, can be evicted. None of these are permanent problems. Except for the dampness in the basement, anyway, that's probably here to stay."

Mokrul laughs, and offers, "In fairness, one guaranteed way to throw an enemy off balance is to just give them what they demand. What do we have to lose by calling its bluff? Just cook a chicken on the altar and see what happens. I've got spares, and really, that's what they're here for -- disposable trap food and diagnostic equipment."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (on edge but looting) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (17) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3) / Alchemist's Fire / Fur Cloak
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«10 »