Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Perception: The three women sitting near the door are complaining about the service of something or someone called 'The Wizard of Wines'; a delivery of wine is a day late.

A group of 3 men sitting near the bar are discussing recent wolf sightings near the Church in town. One of them mutters something about a man named Donavich which elicits murmers of discontentment.

Ovo fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2018 around 08:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sergeant deWytte

Elayne gives Skinny a nod. "Good idea. Ale it is." Leaving the Firbolg to watch the cart, she follows Sorin and Mokrul into the tavern. By force of habit, immediately inside the door her gaze sweeps left, then right, examining the tavern's occupants; most of these she dismisses as not her concern, and she approaches the bar, a smile appearing on her weathered face. "Good day, tavernkeeper. What do you have in stock? It's been a while on the road and I've a feeling my squad is thirsty."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

The social environment didn't really provide an opportunity for him to relay the conversations he'd overheard to his companions, but he decided they were harmless enough to put off for now. Three women were discussing a wine delivery, and three men were discussing ...hunting, he supposed? Wolf sightings in general? There wasn't much difference between the two in the long-term, by his measure.

Normally his first act in a new town would be the purchase of a round of drinks for everyone in the first tavern he could find, but he decided to hold off given that they probably had the corpse of someone's friend giftwrapped in their cargo hold. Loose lips sink ships, after all. The Sergeant seemed to be in the process of ordering for the company, so he decided to go through the motions of a bit of social entrapment.

Plot posted:

The walls are adorned with 3 stuffed wolf heads, and nothing else.

Filthy Peasants posted:

A group of 3 men sitting near the bar are discussing recent wolf sightings near the Church in town.
He didn't know the first loving thing about wine, so he decided to pursue the wolf angle. Odds were, men talking about wolves would be keen to talk to someone else interested in wolves. He'd left his three-wolfs-and-a-full-moon shirt back in his footlocker at the compound, which he imagined would hurt his social prospects terribly, but there was nothing for it now. He didn't mind using the resources at hand, though, so he casually makes his way over to the wolf heads mounted on the walls and begins inspecting them.

>> Investigate 16 (passive) >> Walking over to the wolf heads on the wall, and making it obvious I am casually appreciating them.

Speaking to himself, but just loud enough for people nearby to overhear, he comments, "Not a mark on this one, someone must be an excellent shot. Good stitching, too."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (eavesdropping) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Sergeant deWytte

The innkeeper nods and says "We've wine, Purple Grapemash No. 3. A cup is 1 copper, pitcher is 1 silver. Beet soup and bread for 1 silver each." Expecting your response, the man places a hand on a nearby pitcher.

-------------------------

Mokrul Verdant Allweather

The men glace across at you, but quickly turn back to their own conversation.

Investigation: The wolf heads are in fact stuffed and mounted quite well. A tag with the initials 'GB' hangs on one.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sergeant deWytte

"Definitely a pitcher, I think," the sergeant declares, pulling out a silver coin from her depressingly flat coin pouch and placing it down on the table. "Like I said, we've been on the road for quite some time and we could all use a drink before heading up to speak with the burgomaster.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


At the mention of the burgomaster many of the patrons fall silent again and stare in the Sergents direction; the inkeeper however is unpurturbed and fills up a picther with a deep red wine, sliding it across the counter along with a few cups.

One of the three women sitting by the door whistles at the inkeeper, "Put their pitcher on the house Arik." The woman waves over the Sergent and Mokrul to join them. "If you have come to deliver a message to the burgomaster I'm afraid you're too late. He died three days ago."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik

professor_curly posted:

He laughs with cheer at odds with the surrounds at the final question from his fellow passenger, "Not a sir, not yet at least. Actually my familiar is from this area. I'm from a cadet branch of a noble family here. We left to find fortune elsewhere, which we did after a fashion, but the stories are still passed down..."

"Now, I'm a skeptical man. But I admit I was intrigued, so when I heard the call for an expedition here, why not? If nothing else I'll have a story for the family when I go back to Cormyr. And if it is true, maybe I'll just retire. Find one of these gaudy castles. Maybe hire you lot to be my advisers or whatever it is nobles have."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, I have my own fortunes to return to. It would perhaps help if there was, anything, about this country known about it. The ruling dynasty of the Strahd family won a great war here hundreds of years ago, made it their home, and then it never appeared anywhere in the history books ever again. Even what little I do know is mostly collected from stories passed on from Vistani caravans from the country itself." After the cart had stopped and all members were making their way indoors Lordorim himself went to enter the tavern and... Maybe decided that he would be good out here for a small while with the Firbolg.

It was not as if he felt maybe being the most very obviously not human member of the group made him somewhat leery of entering into places he's never been in before and thus was happier to let the very human looking members of the team enter and make themselves known before letting them see him in all his regal draconic splendor, he was merely assisting his companion in watching the cart. After a few minutes of quiet silence, he turned to his slightly taller companion.

"So... What do you think are the odds on this problem being undead related my good man? It seems the right, atmosphere for it."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 18:40

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

He looks back at Lordorim with a raised eyebrow. "While this is true, I think it is unwise to be given to flights of fancy before we have information. For all we know, this may simply be the regular clime of this area for this time of year." The Firbolg had set about taking an oilrag and, with bow flat on the cart, was slowly rubbing it along the length of the wood. He took good care of his bow, of course - a badly maintained weapon was a recipe for disaster - and this seemed as good a time as any. "We shall have to wait and see if the burgomaster can tell us more." Indeed, he was not the speculative sort; that was left to druids and shamans in his clan. For him, the world was simply as it was, and until there was proof, he declined to indulge in fantasy.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin looks pained at mention of the Burgomaster's death, saying, "I'm sorry for your loss. We found a man with another letter from him on our way into town, he'd fallen ill of some wolves if I don't miss my guess. Might that have something to do with what happened?"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

He enters into the tavern with the others, shield shiny and clean and his purple-and-white traveler's clothes looking neatly pressed. A small advantage of magic, but an impactful one. He takes a cup of the wine, before walking over to the small group of women to listen to the story. He also looks disheartened at the news that their employer was dead, which seemed to bode ill for their little enterprise.

"Please good ladies, can you explain what happened? We are not here to deliver a message, but responding to a message received and have traveled a long road to this place."

Persuasion to maybe help this process along/make them like us a bit more before we drop that we have a body in our cart. Also asking what is going on:

Persuasion (Getting on their good side): 1d20+5 18

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The woman who spoke first raises her eyebrows in mild surprise at your statement. "Ah yes, Kolyan had our brothers send out those letters calling for aid. Something about the abandoned mansion the villagers are so afraid of. I don't know anything about this other letter, but I doubt it is related. Not long after the message for aid was sent, wolves began to prowl closer and closer to town. The townsfolk say that Kolyan caused it by disturbing the manor. Outside of the Burgomasters house packs of wolves would circle and howl all night. It finally got too much for the old man and his heart gave out three days ago."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

He glances over to the Sergeant, frowning. This didn't bode well for their paycheck, "I see... So what do we do sergeant? We've come a long way to just go back empty handed."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin says, "Ah, so I see. Please forgive my lack of manners, I'm Sorin, a devotee of the Lady Firehair. Might I trouble you for your names?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir posted:

He also looks disheartened at the news that their employer was dead, which seemed to bode ill for their little enterprise.
Dismay was plain on Noroco's face, though he didn't really understand why. According to the woman at the bar, the mayor was dead, but that didn't change anything. In truth, it probably increased the value of their services going forward.

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir posted:

"I see... So what do we do sergeant? We've come a long way to just go back empty handed."
It didn't take very long for a rough map of a viable course of action to form in his mind, though he continued to listen to the woman speak in order to reinforce the skeleton (and to observe social niceties). A break in the conversation occurred eventually, with Noroco asking the Sergeant about their next steps. He briefly catches the Sergeant's gaze at this point, offering her a playful wink, as if to reinforce that there was nothing to worry about. Given their social situation it seemed the scout wasn't willing to speak up and show all his cards, but the message was clear: we should gather ourselves and debrief shortly.

In the interim, he goes about pouring a glass of wine for each of his companions from the pitcher the woman had so kindly purchased for them. After a cup is provided to Sorin, and then Noroco, and then the Sergeant, he offers a polite thanks to the woman, and explains, "If you'll excuse me, two companions outside are watching our wagon. They'll be less than pleased if I don't bring them each a drink. My thanks for your hospitality." With a wink to the woman, he walks off with a full cup in each hand. He calls back as he heads out the door, "Don't worry, I'll definitely bring back the cups. Shouldn't be too long." Returning to the wagon where Lordorim and Mama Bear are positioned, he offers each of them their respective cup.

>> Interaction >> Handing a cup of wine to Skinny and Lordorim.

Skinny posted:

"But I'll take some ale."
After he hands off their drinks, he gives it a few moments for Skinny to realize what he's been provided. He helpfully offers, "I'm not an rear end in a top hat, it's just that they only have wine. Well, they also have beet soup, I guess, but that isn't really a drink. I suppose you could probably distill beets into something resembling rum, but it would likely be disgusting, and also it would take a month or so. Anyway, moral of the story is that we've got wine, which is better than nothing, I assume."

He hadn't bothered to pour a cup for himself, as he assumed wine tailored for the palate of a rural peasant would be utterly disgusting.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (eavesdropping) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 04:15

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

"Beet soup? How nice. Perhaps I shall have myself a helping when we have some downtime." He takes the cup with a nod towards Mokrul. "Thank you for the wine." The Firbolg seemingly has no reservations about peasant wine, taking a swig and nodding in appreciation, before putting the cup down on the cart to rest while going back to oiling his bow.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Mokrul nods in response to to his sylvan companion, and takes a moment to bring the rearguard up to speed. "The Sergeant and the others are making friends with the locals, but I don't imagine they'll be too long. Anyway, to bring you two up to speed, it sounds like we're three days late to the party. Which is to say that the mayor died three days ago. Things might've gone differently if we'd made better time on the road, but there's nothing to be done about that now." Taking the opportunity to stretch out his arms, and work a few kinks out of his neck and shoulders after several long days on the road, he continues, "Out of curiosity, how many arrows did you bring on this little road trip?"

Given his meticulous records, he already knew the answer down to the arrow. He was just making conversation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (eavesdropping) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

For the first time since they'd set out, the Firbolg's expression turns dour, as his brows knit with worry. He stops the maintenance on his bow and puts his attention fully on Mokrul. "The burgomaster dead? That is worrying news. Has he been taken by this fiend he wrote about?" Having their main client dead on arrival was a bad sign to begin a mission. The scout wasn't worried about the money, per se, but in general things didn't look good when the guy you came to save was dead before you could do something. "I have enough arrows to strike down six score, or there about. A bit much, but I have found it does not hurt to be prepared. Especially given this...new development."

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The three women introduce themselves in turn; they are all sisters and though similar in apperance are more than a few years apart in age. Alenka is the eldest and who called you over, Mirabel the middle child, and Sorvia the youngest.

"We are the owners of this tavern" says Mirabel, "Though we are not locals of the village. We are Vistani, we live with our folk outside of the town."

"If you have business with the Burgomaster" continues Sorvia, "his children you should talk to. Tradition would dictate that they must continue their fathers work and honor his words. They have holed themselves up in their house since their fathers death and have not been seen much of since."

------------

Burgomasters house (E4) has been marked on Roll20 map.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sergeant deWytte

The Sergeant takes a long moment to consider this, catching Mokrul's glance and nodding in response. As he departs, she turns back to the tavernkeeper. "I am sorry to hear it. Not only is the burgomaster's parting tragic, it is also unfortunate timing-- my team and I have arrived in town in response to his request for assistance." Reaching into her belt pouch, she produces the original letter. "I understand the town is experiencing some difficulty?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Skinny posted:

"The burgomaster dead? That is worrying news. Has he been taken by this fiend he wrote about?"
He hops onto the back of the wagon, dangling his feet over the edge and letting the question hang in the air for a few moments while he gets comfortable. "Well...", he starts, likely raising the tension rather than easing it, "I guess that's the question, isn't it? The letter we received spoke of a fiend that 'snatches up' villagers and travelers, and that his guards 'tracked the beast' to an abandoned mansion on the edge of town. All of that sounds fine in isolation." With a casual shrug to indicate a few threads running counter to the stitching, he continues, "The word in the tavern is that his heart gave out. Apparently, wolves have been prowling closer and closer to town for the last few weeks, and the pack would circle his house and howl all night. The stress of the situation killed him, by the sounds of it, but he wasn't snatched away by some fiend."

He distracts himself a bit by sprinkling some feed into the barrel-turned-makeshift-chicken-coop he'd installed into the back of the wagon, giving an affectionate pat on the head to one of his brood. "How do you tie all that together, though, hm? The townsfolk apparently believe this Kolyan fellow brought the wrath of the wolf pack down upon them by disturbing the manor on the edge of town, but how does that make any sense? A pack of wolves living in a mansion?" Shaking his head at the absurdity of it, he offers, "Which points us towards a few problems that are going to be less than enjoyable to solve. What can control the behavior of a wolf pack to the point that it can push them to wander into a settlement, and direct them to circle a specific manor every night?" He raises a hand and starts counting the possibilities for thematic effect, "I'd buy the possibility that the town has gotten itself into a turf war with a local druid. That'd explain the house angle. Otherwise we have to start delving into creatures that can lead a wolf pack, but that have cunning beyond the limits of the pack. A winter wolf could be leading the pack, which would be an extremely dangerous possibility. Worse still is the possibility that the alpha of the pack has a healthy allergy to silver, if you get my meaning."

With a cheerful smile, he wraps his explanation up with a bow, concluding, "Anyway, I'm sure everything will be fine."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (eavesdropping) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

He nods as they explain the local tradition, noting Vistani in the back of his mind. As the Sergeant talks to the sisters, Noroco will finish his glass of wine and leave the cup on the counter, "I will take some of the others and start the conversation with these children. Make sure nothing happens to them before we can work out what is going on."

Noroco will bow politely to the sisters before heading outside, moving back to the group gathered around the cart, "The local tradition seems to be that the children are honor-bound to continue the agreements of the father, so that seems to be a good place to start. I'm going to go to their home, make sure nothing happens to them before we get paid. Also try to keep them from throwing us out for fear of whatever is going on in this village. If anyone wants to accompany me, a show of force might help put their minds at ease."

He tells the assembled members the location of the Burgomasters' house and begins to make his way there, shield clanking slightly on his back as he walks. When he arrives he will knock on the door, waiting patiently for a response.

Moving to the Burgomaster's house and knocking on the door.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin says, "A pleasure to meet you all, truly." He takes a sip of his wine, considering the ambiance of the tavern, then ventures, "Perhaps you could tell us a bit about the town? I must admit I've not heard much of Barovia, nor the Vistani."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir posted:

"The local tradition seems to be that the children are honor-bound to continue the agreements of the father, so that seems to be a good place to start. I'm going to go to their home, make sure nothing happens to them before we get paid. Also try to keep them from throwing us out for fear of whatever is going on in this village. If anyone wants to accompany me, a show of force might help put their minds at ease."
As Noroco emerges from the tavern and announces his course of action, Skinny might notice the briefest hint of alarm in Mokrul's eyes, if only for a moment before the scout's resolve steels itself. Quickly excusing himself from the conversation around the wagon, he hops off the back of the cargo bed and follows after Noroco, while casually requesting of Skinny and Lordorim in general, "If one of you could return those wine glasses, I'd appreciate it. We didn't buy them."

He follows Noroco as a mostly silent observer on the way to the burgomaster's house, likely giving the impression that he simply didn't want the man to wander off alone into a foreign village known for its kidnappings. While that was part of it, the truth was that the man's actions were expediting the timeline he had in mind significantly, and would end up forfeiting a bit of reconnaissance that would have helped their bargaining position during a conversation he was certain he could see coming. He already had a few cards in his hand, at least, so he didn't mind sitting down at the table.

>> Movement >> Following Noroco to the burgomaster's estate.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (observing) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 16:56

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik

Lordorim wasn't entirely sure about what was happening inside the Tavern, but he had a glass of wine in his hand and thus decided that he could be caught up to speed later. He sipped his drink delicatly, "This... Is actually not that bad, got a strong pallete to it." He continued to sip his drink contentedly, vaguely listening to the information vouchsafed by the Half-Elf until.

quote:

. "The Sergeant and the others are making friends with the locals, but I don't imagine they'll be too long. Anyway, to bring you two up to speed, it sounds like we're three days late to the party. Which is to say that the mayor died three days ago. Things might've gone differently if we'd made better time on the road, but there's nothing to be done about that now.

The Dragonborn blinked a little at this sudden dropping of information, adn took another drink. "Huh... Well, that's rather unfortunate, but will they still pay us either way?"

quote:

"The local tradition seems to be that the children are honor-bound to continue the agreements of the father, so that seems to be a good place to start. I'm going to go to their home, make sure nothing happens to them before we get paid. Also try to keep them from throwing us out for fear of whatever is going on in this village. If anyone wants to accompany me, a show of force might help put their minds at ease."

He turned around having heard the sound of his fellows voice, and saw him walking up the street. In a very un-regal like manner the Dragonborn downed his glass, put it on the cart next to Skinny, and then stumbled into a sprint after them, sliding to a steady walk when he had caught. "Waiwaiwaiwaiwaiwait, let me do the knocking and entering these are my 'people'. In a, round about, same social class sort of social class kind of way not in a actually by blood Dragonborn kind of- Oh nevermind, I would like to come to."

Lordorim is joining the 'talking to nobs' party, being the nobbiest amongst them

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 18:40

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Sorin & deWytte

Sorvia takes the letter and reads while Alenka says "We do not know much about the town. We own the tavern and concern ourselves with only that. At dusk we leave to our peoples settlement to the west. The locals are tight-lipped about nearly everything and supicous as anything, so I'd avoid going around poking your nose it places it should not be.

Having finished the letter Sorvia hands it back and says "That sounds about correct for what I have heard. People have been going missing for a long time near the manor according to the locals. It's gotten bad enough that most of that area of the town is abandoned. The Burgomaster was keen on fixing it as something of a morale boost from what I recall."

---------------------

Lordorim, Roc & Mokrul

Making your way south you approach a large mansion at the end of the road. The weary-looking mansion squats behind a rusting iron fence. The iron gates are twisted and torn. The right gate lies cast aside, while the left swings lazily in the wind. The stuttering squeal and clang of the gate repeats with mindless precision. Weeds choke the grounds and press with menace upon the house itself. Yet, against the walls, the growth has been tramped down to create a path all about the domain. Heavy claw markings have stripped the once-beautiful finish of the walls. All the windows are barred with planks, each one marked with stains of evil omen.

After knocking on the door there is silence, then the sounds of movement , and finally the door opens a crack. A man peers out and shouts "What do you-" before stopping in shock, clearly not expecting a Dragonborn to be knocking on his door. He opens the door wider and you get a good look at the man.



"Er, Hello. I am Ismark, what do you want strangers?"

In Ismarks left hand a crossbow hangs, behind him in the foyer of the house a woman stands in a doorway, hand perched upon a sword by her side.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik

Before he had approached the door, Lordorim had looked a little frazzled having to quickly catch up to the others, and so in the brief few seconds between the knock on the door and the door being opened, Lordorim did some last minute smoothing down of his scales, adjustment of his head tendrils and making sure he had no food in his teeth.

So the door was opened to the radiant sight pf very regal stance of a noble Dragonborn, dressed in finery and wearing his best diplomatic face. He clicked his heels together and bowed deeply "Good afternoon Sir Ismark, I am Lord Lordorim of Clan Shambastik here on behalf of the Golden Lion mercenary company, and these are my compatriots Mokrul Verdant Allweather and Noroco Olvir." He produced from his pockets the symbol of his position within the company proper, and motioned for his allies to do the same. In hindsight they should have maybe gotten the letter the burgomaster had sent but that was in someone else's hand and this was the next best thing.

"Your father had sent a missive out for us in regard to the current, unfortunate circumstances surrounding the local unoccupied manor in your domain, we had intended to inform him of our arrival here and that we have accepted the contract he has offered. Unfortunately we have since heard that he has very recently passed, and as much as it pains me to intrude on your household at such a trying time, we would like to discuss the matter of the manor with you and your siblings, if you could spare a moment."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 18:41

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Ismark glances back at his Sister who thinks for a moment before giving him a nod. He steps outside and closes the door behind him. "If you'd like to walk with me, I have to inspect the walls and windows, see what damage has been done." Walking around the house Ismark pokes and prods at the boards covering the windows, making sure none are loose or falling. He continues, "I'm amazed that someone finally showed up. My Father had the bounties sent with the Vistani some time ago. I'll admit I was against it, I thought no one would come, but I suppose the amount he promised would get someone. If you are here to take care of the Death House I will honor my fathers contract. 500 for each of your band if you can cleanse that house of whatever infests it. If you have any questions I will answer what I can."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

He shows the golden lion on his shield, before slinging it back onto his back, giving a bow to the sister as the door is closed before walking around with Ismark. He gives an unusually amused chuckle when the man asks if they have questions, "Let us start with why it is called the 'Death House,' that seems pertinent to the situation."

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Ismark chuckles and nods at the question. "A fair question. It's a name that is older than me. Years ago, when my father would have been a child, a family lived in the manor. Rumours about them covered everything; Worshipers of evil, cultists, werewolves and more. Well one day the whole family just up and vanished. Ever since people that go into that house do not come out. People live nearby hear horrible noises, screaming and banging coming from the house. People go missing near it, and nowadays no one will go near it at all."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sergeant deWytte

Retrieving the letter, Elayne tucks it back into its resting place on her belt and nods in acknowledgement. "Then, provided the burgomaster's next of kin are of a mind to hold to the bargains he made before his death, I think my company and I can help." She turns her head, noting the absence of Lordorim, Rok, and Mokrul, and shrugs one shoulder. "I'd probably better catch up to them, actually. Not that any of those three are likely to offend anyone too much."

Heading to grab Skinny and join the rest of the team at the burgomaster's house, assuming Sorin is done.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik

"Yes, it was about those disappearances I was curious about myself. How exactly do they, 'happen' as it were? Any forced entry into homes, specific times that they normally happen, odd behaviors or disturbances afflicting citizens before they vanish, anything along those lines?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2018 around 19:42

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Lordorim Shambastik posted:

"Good afternoon Sir Ismark, I am Lord Lordorim of Clan Shambastik here on behalf of the Golden Lion mercenary company, and these are my compatriots Mokrul Verdant Allweather and Noroco Olvir.
Mokrul half-raised one eyebrow at the use of the phrasing 'Lord Lordorim', thinking that the dragon would benefit from a title without any phonetic repetition. He supposed that would come with its own complications, though. 'Sir Lordorim' would be just as confusing, as it would be parsed as two different titles, and only belatedly would anyone realize his name isn't 'Orim'. He did find humor in the dragon's sleight of words, though, with 'Sir Ismark' and 'Lord Lordorim' almost immediately drawing attention to the dragon's view of its higher position in the social hierarchy, very nearly approaching the line of demanding fealty right out of the gates in the conversation. 'Honestly, Lordorim, I can't even tell when you're being clever and when you're just lucky.', he thinks to himself. He tries his best not to let his thoughts wander given the stakes of the conversation, though.

Ismark posted:

"I'm amazed that someone finally showed up. My Father had the bounties sent with the Vistani some time ago. I'll admit I was against it, I thought no one would come, but I suppose the amount he promised would get someone. If you are here to take care of the Death House I will honor my fathers contract. 500 for each of your band if you can cleanse that house of whatever infests it. If you have any questions I will answer what I can."
Admittedly to his surprise, the dragon's gambit appeared to work. He had more than half expected to have to argue their fee up from zero, and yet here they were with a contract that was to be honored ...at least before any work had been done, and any invoice had been issued. He decides on a whim to adjust his strategy for their aptly named mark.

Plot posted:

... a large mansion at the end of the road ... weary-looking behind a rusting iron fence ... iron gates are twisted and torn ... right gate lies cast aside, while the left swings lazily in the wind ... weeds choke the grounds and press with menace upon the house itself ... against the walls, the growth has been tramped down to create a path ... heavy claw markings have stripped the once-beautiful finish of the walls ... the windows are barred with planks, each one marked with stains of evil omen.
As they walk along the grounds with Ismark, inspecting the walls and windows for damage, Mokrul decides to put his formal training to good use. He was a carpenter and mason by trade, and a jack of all trades beyond that when it came to most tools and skilled labor. While the time of day and the effort of carrying on a conversation didn't provide the ideal conditions for a thorough home security assessment, he was more than capable of helping the man in his apparent efforts to fortify the compound.
>> Investigation 10 >> Assessing the exterior fortifications, trying to pick out any weak points or issues.

Ismark posted:

"Years ago, when my father would have been a child, a family lived in the manor. Rumours about them covered everything; Worshipers of evil, cultists, werewolves and more. Well one day the whole family just up and vanished. Ever since people that go into that house do not come out. People live nearby hear horrible noises, screaming and banging coming from the house. People go missing near it, and nowadays no one will go near it at all."
The puzzle pieces were starting to fall into place, and Mokrul decides to interject himself into the conversation, "We can certainly investigate the manor, using that word as a verb in the way only an adventuring company would, but ... well, forgive the observation, but it seems to me that your city might also have need of a longer-term security contract, unless the boarded-up windows of your own estate are merely the latest fashion trend. Am I correct in assuming that, even if we eliminate whatever problem stalks the halls of the manor, your people are likely to continue to give it a wide berth?" There was a logical trade available, of course. He continues, "Which is to say, am I correct in assuming that the acting burgomaster might possess the right to grant us title over the manor and its estate, in exchange for setting it up as a base of operations in this region? We can work out a reasonable discount on the cost of our future services, of course, to help ensure conditions in the area improve."

Under normal circumstances it would be a risky play, but their hand was the stronger in this case. The young man had inherited his father's title, yet all he could do was board up his windows and seal himself away inside his own home. His people hadn't yet overthrown him, presumably out of respect for a mourning period for his father, but he would need to step up or ship out soon enough. They offered him an opportunity to step up in the eyes of the people, and all for the cost of a mansion nobody wanted. He couldn't continue to solve problems by spending gold until the wells ran dry. Mokrul had dropped a lottery ticket in his lap, and he waited patiently to see if the man would try to cash it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (observing) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin nods at their answer, noting how blatant a deflection it is, but letting it pass without comment. With a whispered prayer to Sune, he gathers his charm and says, "Of course, I'll be right with you, Sergeant. One last question for the ladies, I promise, then I'll join you." Eyes sparkling in the dim light, he smiles at the three sisters and asks, "If I'm not sticking my nose in entirely the wrong places, would it be appropriate to visit your camp later? I'm sure we'll be in town for a few days getting this mess straightened out and it would be most welcome to learn what we can."

Persuasion (with Guidance): 1d20+2+1d4 11

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Noroco raises his eyebrows almost imperceptibly, slowly glancing to the side to meet Lordorim's eyes. For a moment he tries to communicate in that short look a universal message - is this something we really want? But as Mokrul finishes talking Roc has had enough time to go back over his orders. The Captain's orders were clear. Mokrul was in charge of getting payment and making sure we got more jobs lined up in the area, so this seemed well within his fellow mercenary's purview. Noroco himself was assigned as support, and so he would fulfill that order. After all, when he was on Company Time he followed Company Orders, a policy that had served him well over the years.

He starts out speaking slightly slower than normal, but builds confidence as he talks and falls back into his usual friendly demeanor.

"My friend speaks true. We of the Golden Lion are very interested in this land and the opportunities it can provide for our sort. We fight primarily for coin, but our company is also looking for a long-term presence here. From what we have heard in our travel through the village you could use the services of sellswords such as ourselves, and we would of course factor in your... generosity in any future contracts you wish to make with us. Contingent on the success of the current one, of course."

Persuasion to sell Mokrul's plan, with Lordorim assisting hopefully.

Persuasion (Helping Mokrul w/ Lordorim Asst): 2d20k1+5 = [15] , [11] + 5 = 20

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

When the sergeant comes to collect him, the scout slings the bow across his shoulder again and after bringing the cups inside (with almost a crouch as he ducks through the door) and a gentle gesture of hello to the astounded patrons, he grabs the horse by the reins and leads it around, putting the beast into gentle motion to walk up towards the burgomaster's mansion. "I must say, Sergeant," he starts as they make their way through the streets, "unaccustomed as I am to speculation and imagination, I have a bad feeling about this."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik

professor_curly posted:

Noroco raises his eyebrows almost imperceptibly, slowly glancing to the side to meet Lordorim's eyes. For a moment he tries to communicate in that short look a universal message - is this something we really want?

Lordorim caught the Sorcerer's gaze and made subtle signals of, 'I really don't know but let's see what happens' and turns back to Ismark and nods with Noroco's statement of their abilities. "I can see that the region is seemingly having a motley of issues far beyond the one we've come here for, perhaps there are other less immediately pressing but still important matters you could use some assistance dealing with?"

Lordorim is going to assist with Noroco's persuasion roll.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Sorin

"Well, we are not too int-" begins Mirabel, before being interupted by the younger sister Sorvia who is beaming at Sorin. "You must come visit. Our elder, Madame Eva always likes to meet new people to these lands. She often gives a fortune telling to adventurers like yourself."

------------

Lordorim, Roc & Mokrul

As you outline your plan to Ismark his expression goes from confusion to shock. "You want to set up a base in that house? You heard the part where no one who goes in comes out right?" After a moment thinking it over he nods. "If you are so confident in your abilities that you think you can make that house safe, the Golden Lions are welcome to it. Even if you do clean it out, I don't think the villagers will be keen on moving into it anytime soon. It was my Father's goal to show that things can improve, and getting that place into normal hands will help. In regards to future work, you are correct, our town has many problems. I have one pressing matter that will need to be dealt with soon. Take care of the Death House and we'll see if you can help us with that.

Turning to Lordorim Ismark continues, "As for the disappearances, they happened at first with phantoms so people say. Figures would appear outside the house begging for aid, people would go to them and never return. Now that the house is avoided people say that shadows stalk the streets near it, grabbing anyone who is alone after dark and bringing them into the house."

Investigation: No particular weak point jump out on the house. The windows are kept well fortified by the Brother and Sister and the walls, depsite the claw marks on it, are sturdy.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

"The gleaming pennants of the Golden Lion raised above the rebuilt walls of this "Death House" will be a sure sign to the people that times are improving. If you have more information about the layout of the building, other such... tactical information, I believe our sergeant is on her way presently," Noroco motions to the street where the rest of the squad is moving up the road.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin smiles broadly, all charm, as he says, "I'd be most honored, Sorvia. I'll have to call upon you as soon as possible."

Need for conversation and beauty sated, if only for the moment, Sorin follows the Sergeant to the Burgomaster's place and meets up with the rest of the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Ismark can only shrug in response to Roc's question, "I don't have the faintest idea about anything like that. I've avoided going near that place the same as everyone. I don't know if I believe all the wild stories about that place, but enough to keep me away."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«8 »