Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin opens up an as-yet unopened door and pokes his head inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Moving upstairs Sorin steps into an elegant hall. Hanging above the marble fireplace's mantelpiece is a wood-framed portrait of a family: A well dressed man and woman stand flanked by two small children. Cradled in the fatherís arms is a swaddled baby.

Standing suits of armor flank wooden doors in the east and west walls. Each suit of armor clutches a spear and has a visored helm shaped like a wolfís head. The doors are carved with dancing youths, although close inspection check reveals that the youths arenít really dancing but fighting off swarms of bats. Tucked into a nook by the stairs another undecorated door leads to the east as well.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

[quote="professor_curly" post="485276213"]
Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

As Sorin moves up the stairs, Noroco quickly follows, testing the steps in front of him as quickly as he can, "This is not a place to be wandering off alone in friend, who knows what game this place is playing."

Following Sorin

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Skinny posted:

"... the whole house is cloaked in magic ... illusions ... faint conjuration... seems harmless, but..."

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir posted:

... he picks up the crumbled, rotting wood and holds it up, motioning for everyone else to look at the hole in the illusion where the floorboard used to be.
Mokrul takes in the additional information provided by Skinny, and considers it for a bit. When Noroco validates the matter a bit further by prying up what appears to be rotten, disintegrating wood from beneath the surface of the floor, he factors that into his analysis as well. After a few moments of quiet contemplation, he responds, "...interesting. That certainly does make the situation a bit more unpredictable. I wonder..." He trails off, clearly continuing the analysis in his head, but apparently willing to spare his comrades the monologue. At least for the moment.

Plot posted:

... cloakroom ... a few black cloaks and a top hat ... hunterís den ... stagís head ... three stuffed wolves ... wooden cask ... two cabinets.
One way or another, there was nothing for it. They didn't have enough information to draw any real conclusions, and the only answer to that was more exploration. He goes about the task of more thoroughly tossing the cloakroom, investigating the pockets of the cloaks, underneath and inside the rim of the top hat, and along the walls and floors as well. The process is repeated for the hunter's den, checking in, around, and behind the stag's head, pulling on each of its antlers to see if they might reveal some secret mechanism. The three stuffed wolves get much the same treatment, though he also gives a check to see who the artisan might have been that stuffed them. He recalled the wolf's head at the tavern had been rendered by someone ...the initials 'GB', he believed? He was looking for patterns as much as he was looking for clues. Flinging open the cabinets was a given, as was an inspection of the contents of the wooden cask.

>> Investigate and Perception >> Scouring the cloakroom. If nothing interesting is found, scouring the hunter's den.

While he does so, Mokrul makes an ask of Mama Bear. "Skinny, would you mind stepping outside for a moment, before your magic eyes wear out? I'd be curious to know how far the effect you're seeing extends beyond the interior. Are the exterior walls also an illusory fabrication? What about the grounds? A simple circuit around the building might prove illuminating."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding and chicken wrangling) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sorin says, "Well, I must admit, Roc, this is hardly the house of horrors we were led to expect. There are some suspect design decisions, to be sure, but... well, if it's a house of spirits, where are the spirits?" He does keep a careful eye out as he examines the hall in greater detail, attempting to detect any hint of the dangers that might well lurk under the surface. Sune's light would surely illuminate any hidden threats, after all, and what did he have to fear with the Lady Firehair on his side? He gestures at the painting, "I wonder what their names were."

Perception (Upstairs): 1d20+5+1d4 27

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 04:43

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

"Skinny" Erevan

"Hrm." He nods at the request to do a lap of perimeter. "As you wish. Sergeant, would you join me? I feel it is unwise to go places alone, while we are here." He waits for Elaine - or another, if they volunteer, and starts walking. With a quiet focus, he sweeps his magical gaze along the lengths of the house, making sure to look from roof to floor. If he encounters anything in particular that is different to what he has seen before with the illusory magics, he will alert the sergeant with a quick signal, but no words yet.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

"I... don't know if this is a house of spirits. I think... The magic is coming from the rooms themselves. Everything is just slightly off. I think whoever these people were they tampered in things beyond their understanding... These faces, the depictions of horrors. I think the house is the danger here, or else the house has become the tool of something more powerful."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 12/12

Wahad posted:

"As you wish. Sergeant, would you join me? I feel it is unwise to go places alone, while we are here."

Elayne nods firmly. "I have your back." She accompanies Skinny, her weapon at the ready and her gaze sweeping into corners and blind angles with cool practice.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Erevan & deWytte

Making your way around the house does not reveal any side entrances or access to a basement. The illusion magic's aura hangs on the exterior walls of the manor, but does not extend farther than that, the grounds are surrouding area are untouched. While outside it is noticable that lights on all of the first 3 floors have been lit, however, the fourth floor windows are still dark.

Mokrul

Investigation/Perception: The cloakroom turns up nothing interesting aside fom a few rather luxurious cloaks and a top hat. In the hunter's den the cabinet on the north wall contains a few decks of cards, wineglass's and a silver platter. The cabinet on the east wall is locked. Inspecting the stuffed wolves you find a tag on their undersides reading "AB".

Sorin

Perception: On the west wall you can see the first signs of wear on the house. Coming from the ceiling black mold clings to the wall, and there are signs of water damage from above as well.

Lordorim

Inspecting the suits of armor you deduce that these are purely ornamental. The wolf head helmets, while imposing, have such restrictive sightlines that no one would ever use them. The weapons are also ornamental. The edges of the blades have been purposly worn down to be as dull as they can be while still looking good.

Ovo fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 18:32

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Sergeant deWytte

The Sergeant levels her gaze upward as the pair completes their circuit of the house, her eyes narrowing as she scans the upper windows for signs of movement. "Notch another point in the "attic" column," she mutters. "Must not be on the same enchantment as the lower floors. If Mokrul's guess is accurate, that'd make it a private area, and where we need to go."

Failing anything else to see outside, she heads inside to meet back up with the squad.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun

Lordorim Shambastik

Lordorim took in his ornate surroundings as his allies do most of the investigative work. It was a lot of very nice decor and floorboards, that even if they turned out to be absolutely fake and most likely the result of illusion magic but it might have looked like that back in it's heyday. He followed Sorin up the stairs whilst everyone else searched the downstairs landing, and when he set sight on the armour he frowned deeply and drew his sword and shield.

"Let me just prod this a bit first I already don't trust a lot of this house." The nearest statue he eyed suspiciously as he very gently prodded at the arm, looking for any sign of movable joints that would suggest a trap. "See this is the exact thing I talked with Noroco about, it's all flash and no substance with a lot of these things. This armour is likely to get you blindsided since you can only peer out a thin slit in the front for example, you might as well be wearing blinkers. I know it's supposed to be just an ornamental set-piece but you can have something that looks nice and is still useful surely?" He said to no one in particular as he continued to prod at the armour sets.

Lordorim attempts to investigate these statues for any sign of traps. He rolls a 1

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

"Mm, I suppose. It seems a bit far-fetched, but this is a magical world we inhabit, friend." As he gazes around, Sorin points to the mold, saying, "Aha! A sign. Perhaps we'll get to the root of the matter by climbing to its peak."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

"Skinny" Erevan

"Indeed...though I must urge caution; I'm sure the lights are out for a reason." The Firbolg follows Elaine back in, meeting up with the group and explaining the situation regarding the house. "It seems only the house is enchanted; the grounds are not affected. The attic has no light whatsoever visible from the outside, however - if there is an entity here, it is likely there."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

"Hmmm, well spotted. Shall we wait for the others to make their way up?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Plot posted:

The cloakroom turns up nothing interesting aside from a few rather luxurious cloaks and a top hat.
Mokrul wasn't much of a 'hat person', so the contents of the cloakroom held little interest for him. He debated putting on one of the cloaks, but held off for the moment -- better to find a way to shut off whatever was generating illusions first, so that he could be sure he wasn't wearing a garment actually woven from human skin or something similarly unfashionable.

Plot posted:

In the hunter's den the cabinet on the north wall contains a few decks of cards, wineglass's and a silver platter. Inspecting the stuffed wolves you find a tag on their undersides reading "AB".
He wasn't here for petty theft ... per se ... so the deck of cards, wineglasses, and silver platter in the hunter's den didn't really catch his eye. He'd taken much the same approach in the dining room when it came to the silverware and crystalware. The stuffed wolves were interesting, at least. Given that the home had been abandoned for decades, he certain'y hadn't expected to find an artisan's signature that matched the one he had seen at the tavern. There did appear to be a generational correlation, though, with 'AB' having passed the trade down on to 'GB'. Or perhaps it was just a coincidence? He preferred his version of the emerging narrative, he supposed. Time would tell.

Plot posted:

The cabinet on the east wall is locked.
He was here to solve a mystery, though. A locked cabinet simply demanded a deeper look. After all, it stood to reason that the answers they were seeking were more likely to be behind locked doors than they were to be sitting out in the open.
>> Lockpick (thieves' tools) 8 >> Cabinet.

Retrieving one of his favorite lock picks from his belt, it doesn't take him very long to give up on the process. His eyes were showing him a cabinet door that should be pickable, but he supposed it might be another idyllic and illusory version of reality, similar to what Noroco had uncovered beneath the floor. If that were the case, no amount of effort would pick a lock that had rusted over in the past few decades. He exchanges his standard pick for his 'emergency lockpick', reaching behind his back to unbuckle his trusty crowbar.
>> Crowbar 11 >> Cabinet.

Sergeant deWytte posted:

Failing anything else to see outside, she heads inside to meet back up with the squad.
The sergeant returns just in time to observe him wailing on a cabinet with a crowbar. "Sergeant, welcome back! This locked cabinet is resisting inspection. That halberd must require big, strong arms, right? Would you care to give it a pry?" Mokrul offers her the crowbar.
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding and chicken wrangling) / Stealth
Map / Journal

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 21:21

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

"That's... probably wise, I'll admit. We should." Sorin calls down to the group on the ground floor, "Come on up! I think there's something to be found in the attic."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Sergeant deWytte

Waador posted:

"Sergeant, welcome back! This locked cabinet is resisting inspection. That halberd must require big, strong arms, right? Would you care to give it a pry?"

The Sergeant can't resist twitching the corner of her mouth upward slightly; yes, more or less what she'd expected to come back to. Still, the house was by all accounts abandoned, and since whatever lay inside the cabinet could yield useful information...

"It takes more than just strength to smash a lock properly; most of them are made to resist blunt impacts, so it's harder than it looks." She accepts the crowbar, stashing her riotstaff on her back momentarily, then sizes up first the cabinet, then Mokrul. "Or so I've been told. You might want to stand back, just in case." With a sudden fierceness of motion, she brings the crowbar around, trying to bring to bear as much force as possible despite the slightly awkward angle.

Smashing the Lock: 1d20+3 11, or 13 if Athletics proficiency applies.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Lordorim

Edging closer to one of the suits of armour Lordorim pokes and prods at it, seeing if it reacts in any way. The suit of armour tilts to the right, then all in one motion swings back to the left and falls over. The clattering of metal echoes throughout the house, and lasts for some time as the wolf-headed helmet rolls and bounces down the marble staircase.

deWytte & Mokrul

After a moment the lock cracks and breaks and the door of the cabinet swings open. Inside the cabinet 3 crossbows of various sizes are strapped to the side. On the door bolts of all sizes sit tied together in bundles.

Cabinet contains 1 Heavy crossbow, 1 light crossbow, and one hand crossbow plus 20 bolts for each.

Ovo fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2018 around 23:55

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

"Skinny" Erevan

He waits patiently while Mokrul and Elaine bust their way into the cabinet...only to swivel around with arrow drawn back on his bow when the clattering of armor makes an awful din and the wolf-head bounces down the staircase. His muscles tense for a long moment, but when nothing happens, he exhales and relaxes the bow. "Everything alright up there?" he calls, a faint hint of concern in his voice.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun

Lordorim Shambastik

As Lordorim leaned a little too hard against armour and it started to tip over, his head tendrils stood up on end as he tried to grab for it a little too late.

As the huge clatter of the armour clattering down the stairs making a deafening racket in the silent house Lordorim was stood frozen, arms reaching out to catch the armour in mute embarrassment.

Wahad posted:

"Everything alright up there?" he calls, a faint hint of concern in his voice.

"Err, yes! I was merely carefully examining the armour, and it must have fallen over on it's own due to poorly maintained joints. Yes. This is what happened, very, very sloppy maintenance here. "

Lordorim attempts to save face by lying about this even though two people watched him do it. He rolls a 6

He turns away from Noroco and Sorin to hide his face but they knew him long enough to know that he wraps his tail around himself when he's feeling especially embarrassed.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Sergeant deWytte

Peering into the confines of the cabinet, Elayne utters a slightly disappointed grunt before stepping back. "Hunting equipment. Makes sense, given the decor. Suppose we can requisition it for the Company as long as there's no supernatural strings attached, but I don't care for crossbows myself. Too unwieldy." She hands the crowbar back to Mokrul before returning the staff to her hand and pacing back out into the hallway and calling up the stairs, "Other than self-collapsing armor, anything of interest up there? We've found a cache of hunting crossbows, if anyone feels like requisitioning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Sergeant deWytte posted:

"It takes more than just strength to smash a lock properly;" ... accepts the crowbar ... brings the crowbar around, trying to bring to bear as much force as possible...
Mokrul is barely able to resist commenting on the fact that the sergeant's guidance about 'needing more than strength' is immediately followed by the application of raw power. As it is, he simply smiles and accepts his crowbar back when the sergeant's grim work is done.

Plot posted:

... the lock cracks and breaks ... the door of the cabinet swings open ... crossbows of various sizes are strapped to the side ... bolts of all sizes sit tied together in bundles.
The cabinet swings open to reveal that it is, in fact, an interesting cross between an armory and a piŮata. Mokrul's smile widens a bit, and he comments, "Not exactly the cache of information I had been expecting, but I'll take it, I suppose." With a carefree shrug, he offers, "Might as well take these lemons and use them to make lemonade, hm?" As he unstraps the crossbows from their position in the armory and begins strapping them to his belt, he explains, "Which is to say, I think it's about time we started separating fact from fiction."

Plot posted:

... the clattering of metal echoes throughout the house, and lasts for some time as the wolf-headed helmet rolls and bounces down the marble staircase.
Mokrul spares a knowing -- and sympathetic -- glance to the sergeant when the clattering of metal begins to roll down the stairs. And he begins to laugh when it continues well beyond the point of embarrassment, as heads literally begin to roll. Poking his head out the doorway of the hunter's den, he calls up to the others, "I see we've reached the limits of someone's restraint, up there? I'm still proud of you, though, just so you know." Wandering over to the wolf-headed helmet, he bends over and picks it up, adding it to his growing pile of memorabilia. With a sigh, he looks to Skinny and inquires, "Skinny, can you lend me a hand here? I'd like to test the limits of this deception." Returning to the cloakroom, he retrieves the three cloaks, which he proceeds to neatly fold, seasoning it with a top hat like a cherry on a sundae. Handing the pile off to Skinny, he then returns to the pantry, retrieving a bag of grain.

With several crossbows hanging from his belt, a bag of grain secured under one arm, and a wolf-shaped helmet dangling on the edge of two fingers of the other hand, Mokrul heads towards the door, intent on depositing his recent acquisitions on or near their cart. He was curious to learn if the illusory veneer of the household extended to its contents. If so, was it a continuous thing, in the vein of an enchantment of permanent image, or would the potency be lost once beyond the confines of the structure?

>> Movement >> Returning to our cart parked outside the manor grounds, in order to deposit the crossbows, the top hat, the cloaks, and a bag of grain from the pantry, and observe how they react.

It was also a ploy to test the strength of the illusion. Would the bag of grain merely disappear with a 'poof', having never really existed? Or was the bag of grain something else in disguise? Were the cloaks truly luxurious, or matted with dead moths and chewed through beyond repair? Had the crossbows withstood the test of time, or were they, too, merely bait for the trap? If he couldn't trust his eyes, he took some comfort in knowing that he could trust his paranoia.
Map / Journal

«4 »