Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Mokrul

Scanning through the books the vast majority are not of particular interest. One does jump out to you, a book titled 'The Great Families of Barovia'. Each chapter is the genealogical study of various families of note in Barovia. The family names are Indirovich, Durst, Vallokovich, Wachter, Olvir, Krezkov and Martikov. Scrawled on the last blank page in the book is the note 'Research Argynvost."

Roc, Lordorim & Sorin

Bursting through the doorway, Lordorim and Roc find themselves in what must be the master bedroom. Burgundy drapes covering the windows. Furnishings include a four-poster bed with embroidered curtains and gossamer veils, a matching pair of wardrobes, a vanity with a wood-framed mirror with a gleaming box atop it, and a padded chair. A tiger-skin rug lies on the floor in front of the fireplace, which has a portrait of a man and a woman, the same as the ones on the painting on the second floor landing, hanging above it. Leading off from the room is a glass door to a balcony.

As the door opens the suit of armour on the landing lurches forward as though it is falling. Catching its self, the suit of armour stands to its full height and swings towards Sorin!



Animated Armour Initiative: 1d20 4

Roll Initiative!

Initiative order
code:
Animated Armour:     4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin reacts quite quickly, stepping out to the side of the animated armor before raising his shield high in prayer. He calls out, "May Sune's light cleanse you, fiend!" A mote of light drifts towards the armor's helmet with distinct purpose, almost crackling with divine radiance. "Sacred Flame!"

Initiative: 1d20+2 14
Sacred Flame (Dex DC13): 1d8 8

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


[quote="professor_curly" post="485376409"]
Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Initiative (1d20+2): 1d20+2 13

As Lordorim kicks in the door, time slows down for Noroco. He immediately starts to step back and swing his arm back toward the suit of armor, eyes flickering with arcane energy. He looks at the metal man looking back toward him and instinctively Noroco drops his shield and with a swing of his hand catapults it into the animated armor, hoping to knock it unsteady.

"drat it!"

Bonus action to drop my shield, Action to cast Catapult (somatic components only).
Catapult Damage (DC13): 3d6 5

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 12/12 | PP: 14

The Sergeant takes a half-step back, allowing as much light as possible to flood into the revealed space. She hisses a quick inhalation at the sight of the moldered skeleton slumped onto the chest. "Looks like someone else was here first. Key word, was." Placing down her shield to give her an unencumbered hand, she steps into the secret room and bends to inspect the corpse. Just before she can make contact, though, her head snaps around as a loud clanking echoes down the stairs. "Again, Noroco?" she begins to ask, but then hesitates; was that Sorin praying aloud? Abandoning what she's doing, she turns around and begins to beeline for the noise. Better to look silly than dead, she could almost hear Corporal Nell's voice in her head, decades later.

Initiative: 1d20-1 13

Quorum fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 21:35

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The Animated Armour still seems to be regaining it's footing when Sorin casts his spell, and it takes the full blast of radiant flames.

Dex Save: 1d20 11 Hit!

Reeling from the blast in front of it, the armour has no chance to dodge the shield flung at it from behind.

Dex Save: 1d20 11 Hit!

Initiative order
code:
Sorin:	 	     14
Roc:                 13
deWytte:             13
Animated Armour:     4

Ovo fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 21:37

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik

Looking around the room after he had kicked in the door, Lordorim turned back to his companions. "Okay this room looks clear I thin- Bahamut's Balls!" In his thoughts he cursed himself that the one statue he didn't prod at was the one that was actually a trap, typical. But minor irritation quickly gave away to a surge of adrenaline because finally this eerie house had bothered to show it's true colours and now it was the Dragonborn's time to show why he was brought along. And the fact that this clanking contraption was next to his not so armoured teammates was something he didn't care for.

Lordorim rolls a 6 for his initiative

A bronze streak dashed past Noroco as Lodorim bounded forward, shield held out in front as he put his weight behind it and slammed right into the animated armour in an attempt to knock it away from Sorin.

Lordorim attempts to shove the armour and rolls a 13 on the athletics check.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 21:47

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


After being battered the Armour swings around to face behind itsself, only to meet with Lorodrim's shield crashing into it. The armour loses its balance and crashes to the floor in a heap, though it is still moving.

Athletics Save: 1d20+2 12 Failure

Initiative order
code:
Sorin:	 	     14
Roc:                 13
deWytte:             13
Erevan:              13
Lordorim:            6
Animated Armour:     4

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

... a book titled 'The Great Families of Barovia' ... genealogical study of various families of note ... Indirovich ... Durst ... Vallokovich ... Wachter ... Olvir ... Krezkov ... Martikov. Scrawled on the last blank page in the book is the note 'Research Argynvost.'

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir (the past) posted:

"I'm from a cadet branch of a noble family here. We left to find fortune elsewhere, which we did after a fashion, but the stories are still passed down..."
Flipping through the pages of his latest find, Mokrul comments to the sergeant and Skinny, "Hey, what do you know, there's a book on the ruling bloodlines. Maybe we can trace Noroco's family tree?" He doesn't bother to mention the cryptic note about research, though he suspected he would make a more formal report after doing a bit more research on the topic himself.

Plot posted:

... the suit of armour ... lurches forward as though it is falling ... stands to its full height ...
He rolls his eyes at the sounds of clattering metal coming from upstairs yet again, and begins to say, "Honestly, those three are the fu--". His sentence is interrupted by fairly obvious sounds of alarm from his comrades, rather than the disarming silence of embarrassment.

Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose posted:

"May Sune's light cleanse you, fiend!"

Lordorim Shambastik posted:

"Bahamut's Balls!"
With Skinny and the sergeant rushing up the stairs, Mokrul takes a moment to carefully place the book he was reading back on the shelf, commenting as much to the library as to himself, "That hard-working broom is definitely going to have his work cut out for him today, isn't he? Bless this mess, am I right?" With the book back where it belongs, the eyes and ears of the group helpfully brings up the rear.

>> Initiative 8
>> Interaction >> Take Return a book from to a shelf you can reach.
>> Dash (action) >> Out of the library and up the staircase, following Skinny and the sergeant.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding and chicken wrangling) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The suit of armour assembles itself and stands up. As it rises it brings one metal fist slamming into Lodorim's arm. It chops at his head with the other hand, but that move is blocked by his shield.

In the moment after the suit of armours attack, the sound of a peircingly loud womans shriek fills the air. A loud crashing noise follows as something behind the western door begins to bang and knock against the wall.

Slam: 2#1d20+4 22 16 1d6+2 4 1d6+2 7

Initiative for ???????: 1d20+2 5

Initiative order
code:
Sorin:	 	     14
Roc:                 13
deWytte:             13
Erevan:              13
Mokrul:              8
Lordorim:            6
??????:              5
Animated Armour:     4

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

"Well there is your beauty, Sorin!" Noroco yells, slamming into wall to avoid the armor's sword from catching him on a back-swing, "Why don't you go converse with her!"

His hand writhes in a complicated gesture of eldritch energy, summoning forth arcane fire before launching it at the armor.

Action:
Fire Bolt (1d20+5): 1d20+5 11

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

The suit of armour assembles itself and stands up. As it rises it brings one metal fist slamming into Lodorim's arm. It chops at his head with the other hand, but that move is blocked by his shield.
Mokrul makes his way to the top of the staircase only to find Lordorim engaged in mortal combat with a ...suit of armour. He supposed the argument of whether it was a security response tripped by their behavior, or an evil force out for their blood, was not currently relevant. He was reasonably confident in his ability to deal with a living knight in a suit of armour, using either a rapier or a pair of daggers to punch through the joints. When dealing with an empty suit, though, what would be the point of that? Eyeing the decidedly fatal drop from the third floor of the staircase, Mokrul decides to use a less conventional strategy.
>> Movement >> Circling around the armour to position myself.
>> Shove/athletics (action) 7 >> Attempting to push the armour towards the three-story fall.

Commenting more to Lordorim than anyone else, Mokrul shouts, "It might be a bit faster to throw this thing over the railing, unless you prefer to hack a solid steel cuirass into a thousand tiny pieces." Notwithstanding his own advice, he proceeds to draw a dagger in his off-hand.
>> Interaction >> Draw or sheathe a weapon.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding and chicken wrangling) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin doesn't rest, even as Sune's holy light eats at whatever dark forces power the armor. Moving out of the way of the rest of the band as they spill into the balcony-based brawl, Sorin quickly incants another prayer and raises his shield high. He calls out, "Hold firm, friends, for Sune is with us! Feel the force of her Sacred Flames, monster!"

He briefly considers revitalizing Lordorim with a word of power, but holds fast. The house was starting to reveal its true nature. He would need to carefully marshal Sune's favor in the minutes to come. The mote of sacred power comes once more into being and launches towards the distracted apparition.

Sacred Flame (Dex DC13): 1d8 4

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

Taking up a firing position on the stairs, the Firbolg brings his massive bow to bear with surprising finesse in such tight quarters. The piercing scream momentarily keeps him pre-occupied; it seemed, indeed, that they had sprung the trap, and were now in for a violent way out. "Somebody keep an eye on that door!" he called, referring to the loud crashing, before he let slip the arrow towards the target.

Attack at 1d20+4=15. If I hit, 1d8+2=6 damage.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 12/12 | PP: 14

Time seems to slow for the Sergeant as she charges up the stairs, coming face to... well, face to visor with the animated suit of armor. Her grip on the weathered length of ironwood tightens, and she spares a quick glance at Roc. "Looks like the house finally took exception to us knocking things over," she comments, and then the staff turns into a blur of motion. With the fluidity of practice, she brings to bear first one end of the staff, then the other, producing the harmonic thrumming of wood slicing through air.

Taking the Attack action and the Polearm Master bonus attack:
Quarterstaff Attack: 1d20+5 14
Quarterstaff Damage: 1d6+3 4

Bonus Attack: 1d20+5 16
Bonus Damage: 1d4+3 7

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The suit of armour darts away from the flame bolt Roc flung at it with suprising ease. It was left open for Mokurl who gave it had shove, but the armour managed to skid to a halt before it plummeted down the stairs. That did leave it open for Sorin Sorins followup attack, blasting it again. Over the shoulder of the armour Skinny's arrow flies, missing its mark and embedding into the wall.

deWytte lands two solid blows, but the armour seems totally unfazed by the hits; with no body inside the armour the deWyttes practiced blows failed to slow it down. It lumbered towards her, one gauntlet swinging wide, but the other smashing into deWytte's gut like the blow from a hammer.

Athletics Save: 1d20+2 8 Success

Dex Save: 1d20 4 Fail

Slam: 2#1d20+4 5 21 1d6+2 7 1d6+2 8

Behind Mokrul, the door bangs and shakes in its holdings, as something on the other side assaults the door and continues to screech.

Initiative order
code:
Sorin:	 	     14
Roc:                 13
deWytte:             13
Erevan:              13
Mokrul:              8
Lordorim:            6
??????:              5
Animated Armour:     4

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

Watching the construct lay into the sergeant, the Firbolg's nostrils flare; though he forces himself to calm down and nocks another arrow. The armor was surprisingly nimble for its size. He just needed to aim better. Inhale. Aim. Exhale. Loose. The arrow flies straight and true; though he wonders how much it will even hurt.

Attack at 1d20+4=19. If that hit, 1d8+2=3 damage.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


[quote="professor_curly" post="485380053"]
Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

"The magic in this thing is fading!" Noroco yells, trying to throw another bolt of fire, but the spell fizzles in his hand as he tries to maneuver around the melee, "poo poo, I'll just go deal with that door, I can't get a good hit on this thing."

Arcana (Are you wrecked?): 1d20+2 17

Fire Bolt (1d20+5): 1d20+5 6

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin continues to intone prayer after prayer, the arias battling against the din of battle and the mysterious screeches both, blasting the armor with wave after wave of Sune's holy fire.

Sacred Flame (Dex DC13): 1d8 4

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

... the armour managed to skid to a halt before it plummeted down the stairs.
He hadn't expected to get into a loving street fight on the third floor of a mansion, but here he was, wrestling with a construct while ducking and weaving to avoid an arrow volley, as well as more than one errant blast of flame. Grabbing one of the plated elbows and twisting its arm behind its back, Mokrul sets the sergeant up to give the armour the gang-beating of a lifetime with her riot staff. After a few solid 'thwunks' and 'clangs', using the momentum of the sergeant's blows, as well as the leverage of his opponent's impressive dead weight, he tries to turn that skidded halt into a rocketing throw. "Go home, big guy. You're drunk." After dunking on his foe, he draws a second dagger from his belt, spinning on his heel and attempting to put some distance between him and the door that seemed just about ready to pop off its hinges.
>> Shove/athletics (action) 19 >> Is that a thirty foot fall in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
>> Movement >> Getting away from the door that seems like it really wants to open.
>> Interaction >> Draw or sheathe a (second) weapon.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (street fighting) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2018 around 02:06

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 4/12 | PP: 14

With a great oof, the sergeant takes a half-step back, the wind driven out of her by the quite literal iron fist of the suit of armor. But her training kicks in, keeping her upright; she catches herself with her back foot and springs forward again, turning her backward momentum into forward momentum, and the forward momentum into two more blows with the staff. This animated suit of armor wasn't as fragile as your average street tough or bugaboo, but in deWytte's experience, hit anything hard enough and long enough with a big enough stick and it goes down. Usually.

Attacking twice:
Quarterstaff Attack: 1d20+5 14
Bonus Attack: 1d20+5 6

If I can gain Advantage from Mokrul shoving the armor down, those rolls become:
Quarterstaff Attack (if Advantaged): 1d20+5 10 NO CHANGE
Bonus Attack (if Advantaged): 1d20+5 19
Bonus Attack Damage: 1d4+3 7

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 7/11

Lordorim felt his arm go numb as the Statue slammed into it, the situation was going in their favour but, there seemed to be more then one immediate threat out to get them. And whilst this was happening he saw the Sergeant take a heft blow from the armour.

Waador posted:

Commenting more to Lordorim than anyone else, Mokrul shouts, "It might be a bit faster to throw this thing over the railing, unless you prefer to hack a solid steel cuirass into a thousand tiny pieces."

"Ram it off the railing? With pleasure!" The shield and sword were put away to allow both of Lordorim's arms free. And then with a shout he ran straight at the armour and tackled into it, in an attempt to drive it towards the ledge.

Lordorim attempts to Shove the armour over to, and then over the bannister to hit the floor below. He rolls a 12 and an 18 on his athletics rolls to shove.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The suit of armour pushes back against Lordorim, but is shoved back against the railing of the stairs despite its efforts. With a solid kick to the midsection, Mokrul sends the suit crashing through the railing and into free fall. The suit quickly plummets, landing 3 stories below with a horrifically loud crash. Peering over the edge, you can see the suit has been blown to pieces by the impact, and is motionless.

The entity beyond the door responds to the noise of the fall with yet more shrieks, and bangs. After a few moments of silence the door jumps in its hinges with one final thud, and the room beyond falls silent.

Athletics Save: 3#1d20+2 20 14 11 Saved first one, failed the second of Lordorim and Mokruls first shove.

Falling Damage: 3d10 11

Combat ends!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

With a solid kick to the midsection, Mokrul sends the suit crashing through the railing and into free fall. The suit quickly plummets, landing 3 stories below with a horrifically loud crash.
The unbelievably loud crash at the bottom of the stairwell served as a cue for Mokrul to crack up, and he is unable to resist embracing the laughter. "Okay, be honest now, was that not the funniest poo poo you've seen all year?"

Plot posted:

The entity beyond the door responds to the noise of the fall with yet more shrieks, and bangs. After a few moments of silence the door jumps in its hinges with one final thud, and the room beyond falls silent.
His celebration is cut short by the continued banging on the other side of the door. "Honestly, I leave you guys alone for three minutes. What the gently caress is behind that door?" While speaking, Mokrul casually maneuvers to position Lordorim between himself and the doorway.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (street fighting) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

"I fail to see the humor in the situation." Skinny deadpans, moving a little ways up the stairs with another arrow drawn still, aimed for the door. "Moreover, the fact that whatever was trying to get through that door has stopped trying makes me even less inclined to feel good about this entire house." With a grunt, he nods over towards the sergeant. "Situation has turned violent, Sergeant. Orders?"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 4->9/12 | PP: 14

With a grunt, the sergeant leans the riot-staff against a wall and gives her bruised midsection an experimental poke. She winces, cracks her fingers, places her hands against her stomach, and closes her eyes. Within moments, her palms begin to emit a soft, soothing glow, and she straightens slightly, some of the tension in her shoulders easing. As the glow fades, she opens her eyes and retrieves the staff before addressing Skinny.

"Same as before, I'd say, but with extra violence," she replies, eyes fixed on the door. "Starting with opening that door, finding out what was behind it, and pacifying it if necessary." She crosses the landing in a few steps and flings open the door, hoping to catch any lurking foes by surprise.

Actions:
Using Lay On Hands, expending all 5 points to heal myself.
Moving, then opening the door.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin says, "Your guess is as good as mine, Mokrul..." The sergeant flings open the door. "...but I have a feeling we're about to find out."

Preparing to Sacred Flame whatever's on the other side!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Noroco moves up beside Sorin, readying a bolt of fire in his hand and preparing to blast anything that bursts through the door... but then gets a thought. It was so easy to forget this whole house was an illusion papered over some sort of unseen skeleton, yet the tingling on the back of his neck and the talk of specters and figures makes Noroco check the walls, ceiling and floor, trying to cover the non-obvious angles of approach.

Perception (Check the ceiling, check the floor): 1d20+4 24
Natural 20 to avoid being "Clever girl" 'd

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 7/11

"I would call that a reasonable success! But the sergeant is right we should probably be careful about the rest of this house now that it seems to have shown it's true colours to us." Massaging some life back to his arm, he takes his position a little behind deWytte, sword and shield and the ready

Lordorim gets ready for combat once more, standing in the master bedroom for the moment to see the door clearly.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Mokrul takes a moment to read the room, and shrugs. He couldn't fault his companions for being on edge, he supposed. In response to Skinny, he offers, "I appreciate everyone's a bit on edge here, but in fairness, that armor still reads as a security protocol to me. A proper death trap would have animated the four suits on the level below us at the same time, putting us into a pincer on the stairwell and turning it into a blender. Odds are one of you just missed an arcane ward or something on the door of that nice looking bedroom over there."

Observing his companions, he notes that Skinny has an arrow nocked, and looks liable to plant it in the face of the first unfamiliar thing he saw, threat or otherwise. The sergeant has fire in her eyes: a flame which was no doubt fanned by the bruised ribs that suit of armour had given her. Sorin seems eager to bring more cleansing flame to whatever had been banging on the door, as well, and Noroco is literally cradling a bolt of fire in his palm, eager for a target. As the sergeant flings open the door eager for a fight, he concedes, "I suppose I can't explain that screaming or the banging, though."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (street fighting) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


deWytte flings the door open, revealing a darkened bedroom. Next to the bed is a young woman, or at least, most of one. Floating near the bed is the spectral form of a young woman. Her body appears as drapped in a ragged dress, and her skeletal arms clutch a shawl. Spinning to face deWytte the apparition stares at her in shock for a moment, before screaming an ear piercing cry and rushing towards the group!

Perception: In the moments before the door is flung open Roc realizes that the wall next to the left is in fact a carefully hidden doorway to a hidden room.

Initiative: 1d20+2 15

Initiative Order
code:
Spectre:          15

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

... the spectral form of a young woman ... ragged dress ... her skeletal arms clutch a shawl.
>> Knowledge (religion) 10 >> vs. spectral form.
The doorway was a bit occluded by the sergeant, but Mokrul angles to try to get a better look at whatever threat they were facing. It was, apparently, a g-g-g-ghost. Though he supposed it could also be an illusion, all things considered.
>> Initiative 10
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (street fighting) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin is a little slow to react, but the apparition's appearance stirs some memory of his education at the temple. What is she? What sort of tormented soul are they facing?

Initiative: 1d20+2 5
Religion (ID the ghost!): 1d20+2 15

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 4->9/12 | PP: 14

The Sergeant's eyes narrow, gazing levelly at the apparition. "Great. A ghost. Now, dear, I'm sure you've got some very pressing unfinished business, but that doesn't excuse harassment." Her grip tightens on the staff, and the silver badge suspended from the leather thong around her neck gleams with unusual luster in the dim light.


Actions:
Not advancing, but preparing an action to both attack and Attack of Opportunity when the ghost comes in reach.

Initiative: 1d20-1 9

AoO: 1d20+5 18
Damage: 1d6+3 4

Triggered Attack: 1d20+5 11
Damage: 1d6+3 9

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Noroco is cautiously watching the walls and ceiling when he notices the small cracks in the wall indicating that there might be something behind it. The unexpected sight makes him stop, blinking at the strange appearance. The scream catches him completely off guard, making him whip his head around but he looses his spell, the apparition putting him on the back foot.

Initiative: 1d20+2 5

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Sergeant deWytte posted:

"I'm sure you've got some very pressing unfinished business, but that doesn't excuse harassment."

Sergeant deWytte posted:

"... unfinished business ..."

Sergeant deWytte posted:

"... business ..."

Sergeant deWytte posted:

"... business ..."
'Dental plan.'

Things hadn't popped off immediately after opening the door, though it looked suspiciously like they were dangerously fizzy. Mokrul, not being particularly keen on the idea of bringing a pair of corporeal knives to a ghost fight, shouts to the spectral apparition in order to try to head things off at the pass. "Whatever your unfinished business is, tell us about it! We can help you out. Let's just ... talk this one through, okay?"

It was a Hail Mary Mystra if ever he'd thrown one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (dental plan) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The phantasm eyes widen as Mokrul cries out to it. Almost the second he is done speaking the woman screams and lets out a few deep sobs. She looks back to the group, and screams wildly, "My child!" before her face and body transforms. Where once stood a recognizable form, is nothing more than a wild swirling mass of energy, a savage humanoid face leers out from a cloud, clawed hands grasp the air.



Sorin Religion: An undead such as this is likely beyond help. Ghosts are still able to reason and recall the past, where this seems like nothing more than anger that has festered and turned this being into a creature of pure malice.

Initiative Order
code:
Spectre:          15
Mokrul:           10
deWytte:          9
Roc:              5
Sorin:            5

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin calls out, "Don't hesitate! The only succor we can offer is guiding her to her eternal rest through force of arms!"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 9/12 | PP: 14

"You don't have to ask me twice," the Sergeant replies. "I'll try to keep it busy while you and Roc sling spells!" In a surge of movement belying her age, the sturdy woman springs forward, her staff lashing out at the phantom. Physical force wasn't an ideal way of disrupting ghosts, deWytte knew, but more efficacious tactics were beyond her capability at the moment, and eventually even ordinary blows would make an impact.

Actions:
Quarterstaff Attack: 1d20+5 7

Bonus Attack: 1d20+5 14
Bonus Attack Damage (if hit): 1d4+3 7

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

He doesn't hesitate. The moment Lordorim charges forth, the Firbolg slips behind Mokrul - "watch your head" - and quickly loosens an arrow over everybody's heads into the specter. He felt ill equipped for fighting the undead in such a confined space, but as long as there were people between him and the evil creatures, he could still do damage. Less than Brother Sorin, likely, but every little bit adds up.


Initiative at 2d20k1+2=15.
Move: Behind Mokrul.
Action: Attack at 2d20k1+4=14. If I hit, it's 1d8+4=6 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 7/11

The sudden shock of seeing the phantom seemed to have rattled some of his teammates, they were standing and watching this spectre in front of them, as it screeched out horrible curses at them. He watched as it reached out hands towards his fellows

Lordorim rolls a 20 to initiate this fight, acting before the Spectre.

Lordorim has no patience for no spooks, spectres or phantoms of any sort however, and he was up in its face in a moment, shield bared as he swiped at the swirling mists to drive them back. "None of that! You will go through me first!"

Lordorim moves in front of his team to keep himself between the Spectre, however he feels his chance of hurting spooks is quite low with his sword, so he will use Dodge this turn, to make it harder for it to hit him

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2018 around 17:18

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«10 »