Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The blow from the Sergeant and Erevans attacks disrupt the misty body of the spectre for a moment, but it soon reforms. The ghost screeches a loud cry and swings wildly at Lordorim, who nimbly avoids the creatures grasping claws.

Life Drain: 2#1d20+4 718 Disadvantage from Dodge, miss!

Initiative Order
code:
Lordorim:         20
Erevan:           15
Spectre:          15
Mokrul:           10
deWytte:          9
Roc:              5
Sorin:            5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin, taking the momentary distraction to work through the proper orisons to draw forth an infinitesimal portion of Sune's godly might, begins to concentrate motes of light into a large, luminescent rose. As the flower seems to strain to keep shape under the pressure of all the radiant energy, Sorin sends it flying towards the ghost. He calls out, "May Sune's Rose guide your hand!"

Guiding Bolt: 1#1d20+5 13 1#4d6 9 If it hits, that's 9 radiant damage and the next ally to attack has Advantage.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2018 around 17:39

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Things were officially getting real. With the sergeant and Lordorim already in the room giving the apparition a proper welcome, he didn't feel particularly keen on crowding the area further and making it harder for all the corporeal people to maneuver. After Sorin launches some kind of magic flower at their foe, Mokrul darts in behind him at the doorway, hurling a pair of daggers simultaneously over each of his comrade's shoulders. Not waiting to see whether or not his throws landed, he flattens himself against the wall beside the doorway in order to avoid fouling up Skinny's line of fire, and slings his own shortbow off his shoulder.
>> Movement >> 15' forward, into the doorway to get line of sight on the target.
>> Attack (action) 20 >> [advantage from guiding bolt] vs. spectral form, throwing a dagger, dealing 4 piercing damage.
>> Dual wield (bonus action) 5 >> vs. spectral form, throwing my off-hand dagger.
>> Movement >> 5' right, against the wall near the doorway.
>> Interaction >> Draw or sheathe a weapon (shortbow).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (street fighting) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan

He does not hesitate, firing off another arrow without warning or lack in accuracy. Sustained assault should bring down the specter nice and easy, especially with the six of them.

Attack for 1d20+4=13. Hit for 1d8+4=10.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 7/11

Lordorim deftly stepped first the Ghost's flailing strikes and then around his allies ranged attacks as he watched his foes form. Until he saw it, right there and then, a flash.

Lordorim attacks with his Longsword one-handed. N-N-N-N-Natural Twenty!

The longsword whipped out from underneath, scything through the ghost's spectral form from bottom to top. It was hella flashy even if it probably didn't do much in the circumstances.

2d8 damage, +3 from my Strength Modifier, and +2 from my Dueling style. Unfortunately, the modifiers were higher than the dice, 8 slashing damage.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2018 around 18:38

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

As his alleys lay into this apparition, Noroco feels a strange pulse of annoyance go through his mind. Something about this spirit in front of him makes his focus sharpen to a razor's edge as he begins to re-summon his fire. A misty sort of shadow gathers around his hand as he reaches out, finding the perfect opportunity to unleash his arcane wrath upon the screaming ghost.

Noroco doesn't yell or seem to speak loudly, but his voice carries strangely throughout the room as the man's normally jovial voice assumes a dark timbre.

"Burn."

Fire Bolt, rolled a 19 to hit and rolled a 10 for max damage
Fire Bolt (1d20+5): 1d20+5 24
Firebolt Damage: 1d10 10

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


As the party land blow after blow across the phantom its shape begins to dissipate. With the final blast of fire from Noroco the spectre is blown back away from the group where it settles like a mist upon the ground, slowly fading away into nothingness.

The room the spectre was inhabiting is far dustier and dirty compared the ones ones you have previously been in. The bedroom contains a large bed, two end tables, and an empty wardrobe, its doors cracked open and covered in cobwebs. Mounted on the wall next to the wardrobe is a full-length mirror with an ornate wooden frame. From a the door off the bedroom is a small nursery, with a crib shrouded with a black curtain in the centre of the room.

Comdat is over!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Noroco takes a few steadying breaths, the shadows dispersing from his casting hand as he calms himself. That had been... different.

"I really don't care for this house."

He brushes his casting hand idly against his his chest, an old tick from days of training past before he looks around, the danger seeming to have passed.

"Before we explore what I'm sure is an exhilarating tour of horror in that room, Mokrul?" he motions over to the half-elf, rapping his knuckles on the false door, "Could you take a look at this?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin lets out a deep breath as the specter finally passes on. He says, "Well fought, friends. May she find peace and succor in the afterlife."

While Mokrul and Roc chat about something, he takes a look around the room. The crib catches his eye, but that seems better explored with friends. Who knows what specters lurk within the nursery. Instead, he walks to the mirror and takes a look at it.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

The engagement was over almost as quickly as it began, and Mokrul takes a moment to congratulate his comrades. "All things considered, that actually went pretty well." Poking his head around the corner and looking to Sorin, he inquires, "I couldn't get a very good read on the nature of its damnation. Any idea if this is one of those lingering spirits that is going to reform every few weeks until a more permanent solution is found, or did we actually accomplish something there?" He supposed the obvious answer was that they would find out in a few weeks.

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir posted:

"Before we explore what I'm sure is an exhilarating tour of horror in that room, Mokrul?" he motions over to the half-elf, rapping his knuckles on the false door, "Could you take a look at this?"
Mokrul nods, and offers, "Sure, just a second." With the danger having seemingly passed, he takes a moment to sling his shortbow back over his shoulder, venturing into the room to retrieve his two thrown daggers. After slipping the blades back into his belt, he returns to the area that Noroco had indicated, and gives it a thorough examination.
>> Investigate 19 >> Analysis of false wall for traps or a hidden mechanism to open it up.

He understood all too well that the adrenaline rush that came with a potentially lethal melee would have all of his companions on edge, and that their patience for doing things 'by the book' would be at a record low. Notwithstanding that reality, he was beginning to get uncomfortable with the deviation from both the plan and protocol. Half the floor below them remained unmolested, and they hadn't properly verified a kill when it came to that suit of armor. Those were the sort of mistakes that got people killed. As he gives the false wall a final once over, he inquires to the sergeant, "It might be wise to take a short breather here, before we kick down any more doors looking for trouble. We're already up here, so I might as well toss the third floor for clues, but we should confirm that suit of armor is resting in pieces, and then make sure we haven't exposed our flank to anything lying in wait on the second floor. What do you think?"
>> Perception 22 >> Searching for clues on the third floor. If Sorin's dealing with the southern bedroom, I'll start with the northern bedroom, but will work my way across the floor.

Briefly looking down the stairwell to confirm their good behavior, he also comments, "I must also gather my party before venturing forth. Unfortunately, in the rush up the stairs to respond to the sounds of battle, I had to leave my chickens to their own devices on the second floor. They're not exactly trained runners. It would be unwise to let that continue for very long."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Inspecting the hidden door reveals no particular traps, and Mokrul swings it open. Staring at him from within is Sorin. After a moment of shock it comes clear that you are looking at the backside of the mirror, which is two-way. The room with the mirror angles up to a rickety staircase leading upwards to a dust and cobweb flooded dark area. Unlike the rest of the house, this stairway is pitch black, not illuminated.

Exploring the rest of the floor reveals a lavishly furnished bedroom to the north. Nothing of major concern can be found aside from a jewelry box on the vanity in the bedroom that is silver with gold filigree. Within are three gold rings and a thin platinum necklace with a topaz pendant.

The southern bedroom is much more plain, and aside from the black cloaked crib, contains little of note.

Ovo fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 04:35

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

Inspecting the hidden door reveals no particular traps, and Mokrul swings it open. Staring at him from within is Sorin. After a moment of shock it comes clear that you are looking at the backside of the mirror, which is two-way. The room with the mirror angles up to a rickety staircase leading upwards to a dust and cobweb flooded dark area. Unlike the rest of the house, this stairway is pitch black, not illuminated.
Mokrul smiles playfully at Sorin from behind the mirror. When it becomes clear that his companion can't see him, given the opportunity he makes a few immature faces, but otherwise quickly gathers his composure. Looking back to Noroco, he comments, "Just your standard issue peep show package, I guess. There doesn't seem to be anything dangerous about the door, though the staircase looks rickety enough to be a risk." With a shrug, he offers, "I'm going to clear this floor before thinking about heading up there, though. Not that I intend to stop you from bravely exploring if you really want."

Plot posted:

... lavishly furnished bedroom to the north ... a jewelry box on the vanity that is silver with gold filigree ... three gold rings and a thin platinum necklace with a topaz pendant.

Mokrul (the past) posted:

He wasn't here for petty theft ... per se ...
He didn't find it hard to justify grand theft, though. More practically, both gold and platinum tended to hold up to the test of time, given that they didn't rust or tarnish, and gemstones were much the same story. Even if they were papered over with illusory magic, whatever was still present underneath the surface would likely hold its value. He debated leaving the jewelry box behind, but it seemed to contain gold filigree that he could pry out and melt down when he had the time, and he wasn't in the business of turning down a free lunch. Slipping the box into his backpack contents and all, he comments with a smile to the nearby Skinny, "Looks like we get to eat tonight, buddy!"
>> Interaction >> Take a bauble jewelry box from a table
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 05:31

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 9/12 | PP: 14

The appearance of the secret door rings a bell in the Sergeant's mind. "Oh. Right. Before all of this ghost mess, I found one of these downstairs, too. There's a skeleton inside, not moving though thankfully. I'm going to go check it out, and make certain the second floor is totally clear."

Heading back to the secret room in the library to check out the skeleton and chest.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

A thought occurred to him, and he decides to hedge their bets. From the bedroom, Mokrul calls out, "Lordorim, you're a strapping young man, right? With muscles? Can you gather up the pieces of that suit of armor and put it outside near the wagon? Long story short, sometimes traps reset: enchanted house, magic armor, you get the idea. The illusions fade away once things get dragged outside, so any force that might be able to reanimate that armor should be similarly restricted." After a brief pause, he adds, "Might as well drag the other four suits down the stairs and into the wagon, too. Even if they don't try to kill us later, with a bit of work I can probably buff and polish them back into shape if we find a proper workshop."

He was hitting more than a few birds with one stone, and he had no regrets. It was a legitimate possibility that an enchanted house could reset its security system, and the last thing they needed was a surprise rematch with that suit of armor or one of its friends. Verifying that it was actually dead already was also important. Moreover, although he suspected that the ornamental suits of armor hadn't aged very well, enchanted objects tended to hold up over time. Although they had beaten the hell out of it, that animated suit of armor had only recently been disassembled. With a bit of work, he could probably salvage the suit of armor and make something functional for one of his companions. Most importantly, though, it was a distraction for one of his companions who might otherwise wander upstairs before they were ready.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 14:06

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin rallies his nerves and, with a whispered prayed to Sune, flips up the covering on the crib. What horror lies beneath?

Guidance on deck for whatever ability check might be appropriate.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 117/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16

"Food is the least of our worries right now, I think," he muses towards Mokrul greedily grabbing the jewellery. "Let's make it out alive first." He moves back to the staircase, just to keep in earshot of the sergeant; the house seemed to be safe for now, but who knew what else was lurking in the corners? Then, remembering Mokrul's concern for his feathery friends, he starts to head downstairs, looking for the cluckers. If he can find them, he'll gently talk to them to hopefully get them to come along.

Will use Speech of Beast and Leaf to talk to the chickens and get them to come along if I can find them. Let me know if I need a roll of some sort.

Wahad fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 17:48

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


deWytte

Taking a closer look at the skeleton stuck halfway in the chest, you find that three crossbow bolts are entangled with the clothing drapped over the skeleton. In the top of the chest you can see a small launcher that the person must have tripped when they opened the chest.

Inside the chest you find 3 black books, all pages are blank however. Tucked into one of the books however are three scrolls of parchment. Taking a look at them, you realize that they are spell scrolls for a variety of enchantments, Bless, Protection from Poison, and Spiritual Weapon. The last item in the chest is a crumpled piece of parchment that was cast into the back of the chest. Taking it out, you read the following.

My most pathetic servant,

I am not a messiah sent to you by the Dark Powers of this land. I have not come to lead you on a path to immortality. However many souls you have bled on your hidden altar, however many visitors you have tortured in your dungeon, know that you are not the ones who brought me to this beautiful land. You are but worms writhing in my earth.

You say that you are cursed, your fortunes spent. You abandoned love for madness, took solace in the bosom of another woman, and sired a stillborn son. Cursed by darkness? Of that I have no doubt. Save you from your wretchedness? I think not. I much prefer you as you are.

Your dread lord and master,

Strahd von Zarovich


Erevan

Making your way downstairs you follow the sounds of worried clucking to the conservatory on the second floor. The commotion of the fight led the chickens to flee where they had been left and hide in this room in a corner near a window. A few moments of talk to calm them down is all it takes for them to start following you, feathers still somewhat ruffled.

Sorin

Drawing back the curtain you see in the middle of the crib a small grey bundle. Someone has taken grey cloth and tightly wound it together into the shape of a swaddled infant, and left it here in the crib.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Noroco looks up at the rickety stairs, peering into darkness that seemed... strangely clear to him. He filed that away for another day though. He sees Sorin standing over crib peering into it, and calls out through the mirror, rapping his knuckles on the glass as he does so.

"Sorin, we found a hidden entrance in the hall that continues up. Want to join me for a moment?"

Noroco will start advancing up the stairs, testing each one carefully as he advances if Sorin joins him on the way up.

Perception: Perception (Let's Investigate the Stairs): 1d20+4 7

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 9/12 | PP: 14

The stairs groan as Sergeant deWytte climbs back to the third floor, the three scrolls safely ensconced with the burgomaster's original letter and the cryptic parchment unfurled in her hand. When she reaches the landing, she announces, "Found what seemed to be a bolthole. A few enchanted scrolls, and some kind of note from a "Strahd von Zarovich." It's got some worrying implications. Something about a hidden altar, torture in the basement, and a stillborn son. Add that to a hostile ghost moaning about her daughter and I'd say we've got a situation."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 7/11

Lordorim snapped his fingers the moment deWytte had finished explaining the situation. "HAH! I told you all the source of this nonsense would probably be in the basement." He rolled up his sleeves and sheathed his sword for the moment. "Does the letter have a date? Or anything that would possibly indicate a date? The Strahd's are what passes for the ruling dynasty in these lands, they settled within it after they fought and won a great battle here several hundred years ago, so if this letter is from a noble Scion of that house it might raise a few questions. Assuming the Strahd in question is still alive."

Waador posted:

A thought occurred to him, and he decides to hedge their bets. From the bedroom, Mokrul calls out, "Lordorim, you're a strapping young man, right? With muscles? Can you gather up the pieces of that suit of armor and put it outside near the wagon? Long story short, sometimes traps reset: enchanted house, magic armor, you get the idea. The illusions fade away once things get dragged outside, so any force that might be able to reanimate that armor should be similarly restricted." After a brief pause, he adds, "Might as well drag the other four suits down the stairs and into the wagon, too. Even if they don't try to kill us later, with a bit of work I can probably buff and polish them back into shape if we find a proper workshop."
"Carry them /all/ down? I will take the obviously trapped one outside but wouldn't the best way to ensure that they don't come to life would be to find the source of this nonsense and put a stop to it? We go and kick over what ever dread alter maintains the curse on this house and then go back to the public house for wine and soup." He clasped his talons together and looked back and forth grinning at his companions. The grin slowly faded as the silence hung over head, until he straightened up and cleared his throat. "I will... I will go and, do that, thing... Yeah"

Lordorim is going to slink off to gather up and go dump the enchanted armour outside the house so it cannot reanimate. Does this require a roll of any sorts?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2018 around 19:39

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin looks sadly at the tiny bundle, bits and pieces coming together in a quite reasonable explanation for the root cause of the specter's pain and rage. He carefully refolds the bundle, placing it back on the crib, then hears Roc's call from the other side of the mirror... wait, why would you have a mirror in a bedroom where you could see through it? The exact design decision behind that escapes him. He calls back, "Of course, friend. I'll be but a moment."

Exiting the bedroom and heading back to the landing, he meets up with the Sergeant and Lordorim. He says, "Mm, that is troubling. I'm sure we'll find whatever caused all this in the basement, but there is still the matter of the attic. Roc and I can handle the investigation, I'm sure, and we'll be back down momentarily."

He hustles behind the climbing sorcerer, keeping careful watch as they climb. Surely Sune's light would detect any hidden dangers!

Perception: 1d20+5+1d4 22

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 117/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16

Leading the chickens upstairs once they're gathered, the Firbolg is just in time to hear the sergeant talk about the letter. "Hrm." He lapses into thoughtful silence for a moment, as Noroco and Sorin start heading upstairs. "Be careful," he mentions off-handedly to them, as he takes an arrow out of his quiver and twirls it between his fingers. "Dark forces at work indeed. I feel like burning down the house becomes more and more ideal as we discover more evils with every step."

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Making their way upstairs Noroco and Sorin find themselves in a musty, cobweb filled attic. Dim light trickles in through a half covered window in the corner. Unlike the rest of the house this area is barren, with little in the way of decorations on the walls. Four doors lead off to other areas of the attic, the one closest to the stairs sports a large padlock and chain holding the door shut.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin notes the padlock and says, "I'm not sure if that's keeping us out..." He pauses. "...or something in. Whatever the case, I'm sure it'll need to be explored before our job here is done." Picking the southern door at random, he adds, "Let's start here. Maybe the key will be in one of these three rooms."

Once Roc is in position, he swings the door open and steps inside.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Skinny posted:

"Food is the least of our worries right now, I think," he muses towards Mokrul greedily grabbing the jewellery. "Let's make it out alive first."
Mokrul gives a wolfish grin to Skinny in response, and offers, "Gotta' eat to live, gotta' steal to eat." The stairs groaned with footfalls he recognized to be the sergeant's, and he shrugs, deciding that it was a conversation best left for later, when they had the time.

Sergeant deWytte posted:

"Found what seemed to be a bolthole. A few enchanted scrolls, and some kind of note from a "Strahd von Zarovich." It's got some worrying implications. Something about a hidden altar, torture in the basement, and a stillborn son. Add that to a hostile ghost moaning about her daughter and I'd say we've got a situation."
His comrades chime in with their respective assessments, and Mokrul remains largely quiet, taking the time to visualize the conversation in a mind map with the sergeant's update at the center. The note was presumably decades old, abandoned alongside everything else in the house. There remained no concrete explanation for why the original residents of the manor had disappeared. Murder-suicide, perhaps? There were breadcrumbs leading him towards a conclusion in that vein, when you combined an apparent union out of wedlock, or some sort of romantic shenanigans in any event, an illegitimate child (stillborn or otherwise), and a torture room in the basement. It was difficult to predict who the aggressor might be, but either way it worked. One of the members of the love triangle attacked another, a third came in to defend the second, and two of them ended up mortally wounded, with the remainder committing suicide out of grief, guilt, or both. It wasn't a perfect explanation, but it certainly hit all the right notes to unravel the mysterious and sudden disappearance, while also helping to address the presence of a restless and angry spirit. One way or another, it did sound like there was a basement to the structure, and he agreed with Sorin and Lordorim that it was likely to contain answers to a few of their remaining questions.

Lordorim Shambastik posted:

I will... I will go and, do that, thing... Yeah"

Noroco 'Roc' Olvir posted:

"Sorin, we found a hidden entrance in the hall that continues up. Want to join me for a moment?"
Given that he had asked Lordorim to go gather the armor, he didn't begrudge the man heading off alone to do that. Noroco and Sorin wandering upstairs ahead of his anticipated schedule was similarly not surprising, though he couldn't help but share a smile with the sergeant that conveyed more than a little mental discomfort as the other two headed up the stairs. When Skinny returns with his flock, though, that gesture turns into a real smile, and he says, "Oh my gosh, there's my little nest eggs! You three had me worried!" Mokrul is, apparently, entirely without shame when dealing with animals.

Skinny posted:

"Dark forces at work indeed. I feel like burning down the house becomes more and more ideal as we discover more evils with every step."
His comrade wasn't wrong, really, he supposed. He was still worried about that option, though, and voices it again, "There's a saying at the temple I frequent, 'Agree to a price before paying.' In general it's not bad advice. If we set the place on fire and it destabilizes a heretofore unseen arcane power source, we'll be held accountable for that. If the fire gets carried on the wind to nearby homes, or the surrounding forest, we won't make many friends in the village either. If we want the solution to be purification by fire, we should at least seek the burgomaster's approval first. Otherwise the only thing we'll build is a reputation as loose cannons that can't be trusted to interface well with the locals. Which, admittedly, would not be unfair." With a shrug, he does concede, "Though I can understand the appeal."

Looking down the stairwell with a bit of concern, he concludes, "Anyway, buddy system and all that, I don't want to leave Lordorim alone." Tiptoeing down the stairs to avoid setting off any painful groans, Mokrul then proceeds to do something he would prefer to not announce publicly, though he supposed he didn't really care if he was caught: the task of double-checking the work of his comrades. He was sure the sergeant had probably done a good job searching the second floor, but he wouldn't feel comfortable until he'd done it himself. The same was true of the rooms cleared on the third floor by Sorin.
>> Investigate and Perception >> Double-checking the searches performed by others.

Mokrul (the past) posted:

...he begins to trace his own circuit around the estate, counting out each step. "One ... two ... three ..."
Once that is taken care of, he heads down into the main hall and reconnects with Lordorim, who is busy heaving armor all about. Reaching into his pack, he retrieves a mix of supplies from his seventy-pound duffel bag of workman's tools, in this particular case requiring an ink pen, and some spare parchment from his kit of cartography supplies, as well as a measuring tape from his carpentry supplies. He had traced a circuit around the house earlier, and measured it in feet quite intentionally. The footprint of the manor was a width of thirty feet, and a length of fifty-five feet. With a frown, he begins piecing together an actual map, rather than a mind map, to deal with a matter that had been bothering him for a while.
>> Cartographer's tools and carpenter's tools >> Drawing a to-scale map of the rooms on the first, second and third floor.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (mapmaking) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2018 around 06:55

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Noroco follows inside, looking to the other side of the room from Sorin, trying to make sure there were no unfortunate surprises.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 9/12 | PP: 14

The Sergeant nods to Skinny. "Well, I'd probably better go make sure our eager beavers don't get themselves haunted to death upstairs. Care to join me? I imagine Mokrul and Lordorim will be fine downstairs, and if we get haunted by any more ghosts or suits of armor they should hopefully hear us." Stowing the ominous note and gripping her staff, she begins to climb the stairs behind the others.

Going upstairs.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 117/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16

"As you wish." The Firbolg falls in lockstep with the sergeant after handing the chickens over to Mokrul, stowing his bow momentarily to creep through the narrow staircase. Once they're up with the other men, he looks at the padlock. "Hm. Seems we need a key indeed, although I'm sure Mokrul could finagle his way through that easily enough." Hearing Sorin and Noroco busy in the southern room, he gestures for the sergeant to proceed him to another one. "Ladies first, as the saying goes."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 9/12 | PP: 14

Giving the padlock an experimental tap with her staff, the Sergeant hesitates, but seems to decide against more direct methods of entry. "I haven't seen any keys, but one of the others may have. We'll ask when they get upstairs. And I haven't been called a "lady" in decades, Skinny, but I'll take it as a compliment." She gives the firbolg a wry smile before walking over to the next door over from the door Sorin chose and opening it.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Noroco & Sorin

The pair step into a cramped, dust-choked room. A slender bed, a nightstand, a small iron stove, a writing desk with a stool, wardrobe, and a rocking chair fill the room with little space to navigate. A smiling doll in a lacy yellow dress sits in the northern window box, cobwebs draping it like a wedding veil.

Erevan & deWytte

Erevan and the Sergeant move into a large room filled with objects covered in white sheets. A window is cracked open and a breeze coming through is shifting the sheets slightly. The only uncovered item in the room is an iron stove sitting near the doorway.

Mokrul

Perception/Investigation: You do not find anything else of note on the second and third floors.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 9/12 | PP: 14

"Mm. Storage," the Sergeant muses. "Probably nothing of interest here. But better to double-check." She begins to pace about the room, poking furniture and shifting aside sheet coverings with her stick.

Actions:
Searching the Room: 1d20+4 23

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 117/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16

"Indeed." The scout methodically clears one half of the room as the sergeant goes through the other, lifting sheets just enough to see what's under them and tapping on walls in the case of other hidden doors. He checks the stove, too, opening the fire-hatch just to see if there's anything of value inside.

Investigation at 1d20+1=19.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Checking the covered items deWytte finds objects as varied as standing mirrors, tables, a dress mannequin and more household goods. One sheet hides a wooden chest, which when opened, contains the skeletal remains of a human, wrapped in a bloody sheet.

Everan makes his way around the room, banging and knocking on the walls. When he knocks on a section of the east wall it swings open, revealing a hidden doorway. The doorway leads down to a tight spiraling staircase.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 117/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16

"Sergeant?" The firbolg pokes his head through the passage, checking to make sure there's no immediate danger, before looking back at Elayne. "Found another secret passage. Shall we take this one first, or clear this floor before we tackle it?" Just to be safe, he takes a step back, awaiting orders before proceeding.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

Not wanting to touch ghost-spooks with his fingers, Noroco pulls out a dagger and starts inspecting the room. He tries to use the blade as much as possible to open any drawers in the writing desk, check inside the iron stove for any burnt or hidden items. Checking under the sheets, mattress and beds, just generally searching through the items in the room while keeping a wary eye on the doll.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin looks around as well, though he does take a moment to examine the doll up close. He says, "It's curious that this room, surely for a child, is hidden in the attic. Particularly since it is hidden behind a secret wall..." He looks curiously at Roc. "Is this some noble tradition I'm simply unfamiliar with?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Mokrul spends the better part of ten (perhaps fifteen) minutes sketching out a to-scale representation of the first three floors of the manor, using the blueprinting materials contained within his carpentry and cartography kits. All of this occurs while Lordorim labors in the background, heaving armor down the stairs and out the front door, as if to a rhythmic beat of heavy breathing and clanging metal. When his task is complete, Mokrul finds his original suspicions confirmed -- to the trained eye of a carpenter and mason, the quintessential combination of skills required of any builder, the empty space had not been invisible, though it was easy to miss and hard to gauge. When put to a physical map where one could compare the first, second, and third floors side-by-side, though, it became painfully obvious: there was a room on each floor, approximately twenty-five square feet in total, that was hidden from view and positioned in generally the same place.

Mokrul (the past) posted:

Having finally made his way around the manor and back to the wagon, Mokrul retrieves his seventy-pound duffel bag of workman's tools. He wouldn't need it immediately, but before this was over he suspected he would have need of one particular object stored within. Slinging the sack over his shoulder, he steps back inside the manor and regroups with his comrades in and around the marble staircase. He spends a few moments eyeing the area around the fireplace suspiciously, before commenting to seemingly nobody in particular, "I'll give it a pass for now, I suppose."
He had given it a pass when they had explored only the first floor, thinking it might be a support pillar, but he hadn't found a heavy load requiring that sort of construction in either the library on the second floor, or the bedroom on the third floor. Whatever it was, someone had built the manor in an effort to conceal it, which meant it was time for some renovations. Reaching into his duffel bag, Mokrul retrieves the particular tool he previously suspected he would need: a ten-pound sledgehammer. Within the grand hall of the entrance, speaking more to the house itself than to the nearby Lordorim or even himself, Mokrul comments, "Your pass is now, officially, revoked.", as he reels back and slams the wall with a sledgehammer for all he is worth, following his strike up with a crowbar to pry away the materials he has loosened before repeating the pattern.

>> Carpentry [sledgehammer and crowbar] 13 >> Sledgehammer and crowbar to pry open the wall on the first floor.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (home renovations) / Stealth
Resources:: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jun 28, 2018 around 22:08

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
The Shadow-Sorcerer

"I could not tell you my friend. My mother was a carpenter and helped maintain my father's fishing boat. The Cormyr Olvir's, I suppose you could call us, we are trade and merchant folk, not nobles. The closest thing to nobility I ever got were the stories from my bunica passed on from her bunica."

He creaks open the grate of the iron stove, carefully running the blade along the top lip of the stove to see if there was perhaps a hidden key there.

"Of course, maybe the door was not always so secret. Perhaps this was to be the child's room, but... it did not come to pass. If the mother was consumed enough in grief to linger as that spirit, then they may have covered up the ways to this area to try and spare her the pain brought on by a reminder. That might explain the trick mirror as well, if one was to keep watch over a parent maddened by grief without disturbing her."

He shrugs, sheathing his dagger with a shake of his head, "That might be optimistic though, grim as it is. Who knows what horrors actually took place here."

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Noroco & Sorin

The room contains very few items of note. The only oddity is the doll; the cobwebs around it are in fact part of the design of the doll. A frayed tag reading 'Is No Fun, Is No Blinsky!' hangs on the foot of the doll.

Mokrul

Chunk by chuck Mokrul tears sections out of the wall. Slowly a small alcove is revealed. Peering inside you can see a tight spiral staircase leading downwards inside the alcove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 8 / 8 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

Chunk by chuck Mokrul tears sections out of the wall. Slowly a small alcove is revealed. Peering inside you can see a tight spiral staircase leading downwards inside the alcove.
When his paranoid suspicions are validated, it only encourages him to redouble his efforts to clear a path into the revealed area. He was, admittedly, well aware that a stray sledgehammer blast could very well crack a key support timber along the nearby frame of the building, which might have mildly disastrous consequences. With that in mind, he begins to work harder, but also significantly more carefully in order to, as they say in the home renovation business, 'really open up the room'.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«8 »