Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Post
  • Reply
TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 7/11

Lordorim had not been present for a lot of the shenanigans that had been happening in the house, he was too busy carting suits of armour outside, grumbling how he of noble birth was doing the heavy lifting again. But not too loudly. He was how ever present for this particular shenanigans, which he will now catch up with because he's been super quiet.

Waador posted:

"Oh man, who do you think they made friends with? I hope it's a giant spider. I hope it's a dozen giant spiders."

Lordorim raised a finger at this statement. "Now, I am not one for nature studies but I feel like we'd know if there were giant spiders. Lead the way in any case." He had followed them upstairs not knowing what to expect. The fact that a ghost had possessed one of his team members was somewhere low on the list if he was entirely honest though. He raised a finger to ask some questions, and decided they could wait.

professor_curly posted:

He takes a calming breath and then continues, "That is Sorin, he's a cleric of Sune. If you don't mind your manners I'll have him exorcise you. That's Skinny, party scout and all-round good guy. Mokrul there is the quartermaster I guess, good for traps and making sure we get paid. My fancy friend here is Lordorim, no one better by your side in a shield wall.-"

"I am also a certified noble dragon of great renown... Some renown... I'm working on it, but one day!" He said dramatically raising his finger. "I will be the fanciest knight in the shiniest armour."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 117/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16

He watches the conversation unfurl with a bemused expression. Right. Possession. At the very least, Noroco didn't seem inclined to murder them all now, so they had that going for them, which was nice. It did leave the next avenue of their task with a rather grim forecast, though. "...so basement with a monster it is, then?" He sighs, taking out his bow once more. "Just for the record; I hate this house."

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Having cleared the main floors of the mansion the only way to go seems to be downwards. The party gathers and then makes their way down the musty hidden staircase, past the hole Mokrul tore open, and into the basement. As you travel downwards, the sounds of people chanting increase in volume. Once you find yourselves standing in a cramped stone corridor, the chanting echoes from all directions.

The stone crypt you find yourself in is divided into three sections. The north-east one is empty, the south-east one is sealed, and the names Gustav Durst and Elisabeth Durst are engraved onto large stone slabs sealing the tombs. The south-west tombs are engraved with the names Rosavalda Durst and Thornboldt Durst.

To the south the corridor opens up into a room with a large wooden table. The floor is strewn with bones of various sizes. To the north-west stairs lead downwards to a room with a table and 4 chairs around it.

While you have taken care of the first level of the house, you cannot help but feel that what is below will be worse. At least the trials of the house have steeled your minds for what is to come All characters level to 2!

Roll 20 map has been updated to the basement.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 20/20 | PP: 14
Sheet updated to level 2!

The Sergeant had observed the conversation, keeping her own counsel. In her experience, little good came from consorting with ghosts; even the well-intentioned ones usually had too much baggage for interactions with the living to end well for either party, and well-intentioned ghosts were few and far between. In particular, having a member of her squad possessed did not sit well with her, but members of the Golden Lion Company were their own men, and if Roc thought he could handle himself with a ghost inside his head, then fine. She'd just keep one hand on a heavy stick, like she usually did.

As the party descends to the basement, Elayne notes the tombs. "Rose and Thorn. Though not a place of rest as they were intended, apparently. And Gustav and Elisabeth... the parents, I assume?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC



Perhaps still a bit dehydrated, Mokrul finds himself getting lightheaded on the journey down the staircase. The first flight of winding steps didn't do him much harm, but the second flight was accompanied by a sensation of whirling and loss of balance. Ignoring the sensation as little more than the effects of spinning around in a tight circle, Mokrul reduces his pace a bit, and finds himself increasingly reliant upon the railing to support his weight.

Plot posted:

As you travel downwards, the sounds of people chanting increase in volume.
Another flight downwards, and he begins to hear the sound of chanting. The fog creeping in over his mind makes it difficult to tell whether it was a hallucination, the voices of a real person, or another of the illusions that seemed to permeate the manor. Now walking at less than half his regular pace, Mokrul focuses on simply putting one foot in front of the other, eager to be rid of the winding staircase and the debilitating vertigo it apparently visited upon its passengers.

Plot posted:

Once you find yourselves standing in a cramped stone corridor, the chanting echoes from all directions.
Approaching the cramped stone corridor with all the grace and pace of a venerable grandmother, Mokrul brings up the rear of the descent with a flock of chickens clucking nervously around him. The chanting seems to echo louder now, bouncing from all directions along the stone walls, but also echoing loudly inside his own mind, accompanied by the throbbing sensation of a fast-approaching migraine. Shortness of breath quickly follows. "Uh ...guys? I don't..."

Mokrul misjudges the distance in the last few steps of the staircase. To his credit, he doesn't fall down the stairs, though it is an embarrassing tumble that involves a lot of mad grasping at the railing and what a casual observer might describe as a poorly executed barrel roll. His hastily executed maneuver leaves him prone at the foot of the staircase, looking upwards through the shaft they just traversed. "Does ...anybody else hear that chanting? Or, you know, currently taste colors? I'm beginning to think I may have missed a trap or two on the way down." After taking a moment to steady his breathing, he levers the railing to eventually struggle back to his feet.

Almost all the folk in the world who revere a deity live their lives without ever being directly touched by a divine being. As such, they can never know what it feels like to be a cleric ó invested with a measure of a deityís power. The question has long been debated: does a mortal become a cleric as a consequence of deep devotion to one's deity, thereby attracting the godís favor? Or is it the deity who sees the potential in a person and calls that individual into service? Ultimately, perhaps, the answer doesnít matter.
pre:
Level up!
Level   ⮞ +1 Cleric of Waukeen
HD      ⮞ +1d8
HP      ⮞ +5
Domain  ⮞ Forge
Armor   ⮞ Medium (cleric) / Heavy (domain) / Shield (cleric)
Tool    ⮞ Smith's tools (domain)

⯭ Magic ⯭
Lv. 0   ⮞ +3 known ⮞ Guidance / Mending / Sacred Flame
Lv. 1   ⮞ +2 slots and 3 prepared
 Domain ⮞ Identify / Searing Smite
Other   ⮞ Ritual Casting (prepared spells) / Spellcasting Focus (holy symbol) / Blessing of the Forge
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (migraine?) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2018 around 02:31

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

As the group proceeds into the depths of the mysterious murder house, Sorin feels, perhaps more now than ever, that Sune's light is burning within his chest. He's resolved to see this through and, should they secure the tombs, to see the children properly interred. Family should be treasured, after all, even if they were involved with dark cults and darker heresies. Or, should the house's corruption prove too deeply rooted, he'll dig a plot in town if necessary.

Moving towards the children's tombs, he stares at the names on the wall for a moment.

Updated to level 2! Channel Divinity and another spell slot, mainly.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 117/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 | Slots: 2/2

He brings up the rear with apprehension clear on his face and in his movements. His steps are slow and deliberate, his eyes focused, and his mouth set in a determined grin. The chanting was...not a good sign. He had no real particular knowledge of dark forces and what they were capable of, but the visions in his dream had showed him awful things. It could only lead the Firbolg to think the worst of what was to happen. "Be careful. If the children were still restless ghosts, I shudder to think what happened to the parents."

Level 2! Fighting Style and Spells get.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 12
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


Rose? Can you hear me when I think like this?

He waits for a moment, catching his breath and calming down a bit from the... sudden ordeal.

Ok, good. So... We are going to need to work something out. I would be happy for you to help, but this is a partnership. Do you agree?

Well, more less. Stop trying to influence my mind, for one. I can understand some... bleedover, but the moment you try to take over we are going to have problems. In return you get to be a passenger for a while. We'll put an end to your monster problem, and you'll be able to help. After that... well, we'll see what happens.

Noroco gets up and adjusts his scale mail, slinging his shield back on.

Will your brother be alright while we go deal with this?

He nods and cracks his neck. He was slowly getting used to the strange sensation, as they both figured out how the limits were going to play out. She seemed to be on good behavior, for now, and who knows. Maybe she really could help.

Noroco winces suddenly, as though someone had smacked him in the back of the head. He growls low, "Look, if you don't want to hear my thoughts you can put up a wall or something. You're the passenger, it's been my head longer than it has been yours."

He eventually gives a nod to the others that he was ready and goes down into the basement. The chanting was... disconcerting, at best. He instinctively stays close to Sorin, looking around in the darkened places. Strangely... it didn't seem so dark. Like he could see beyond their torch light. He wasn't sure if it was his sorcerous blood or the possession or a mix of both, but he wasn't complaining at this moment.

"Sorin, you're a holy man. Can you understand what they are saying? Is this some sort of religious ritual?"

He turns to look and sees where Sorin's eyes are drawn and walks up as well, frowning, "Seems there was a family tomb, after all. Rosavalda..."

Noroco shakes the chill from his back with a shiver, turning around and trying to tilt his head to and fro, "Where is that chanting coming from?"

Warlock level get, Pact of the Ghostblade. This will be Hexblade -> Pact of the Chain (Imp reflavored as Ghost). Spells are Eldritch Blast / Mage Hand, and Hex/Protection from Good and Evil/Shield/Wrathful Smite. This means I'm currently doubling up on Shield from Sorcerer and Warlock, so hopefully can do something about that.

Going to fluff the pact as being the integration of Ghost Whisperer.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Rose appears and silently stares at the tombs of Gustav and Elisabeth for a few moments before turning to deWytte; "Yes, they were my parents. She turns around and makes her way over to near Noroco where she stands with a dour look upon her face.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 12
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


He frowns slightly, then sighs and beckons, "Well come on, help me check this southern room. Nothing is going to get done just standing here[/b]"

Noroco heads south into the room with a table.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at Jul 10, 2018 around 23:49

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Stepping into the larger room Noroco finds himself standing before a plain wooden table flanked by long benches. Moldy humanoid bones lie strewn across the dirt floor. A dark alcove sits empty to the east, while west stairs descend downwards into the basement. South lays twisting corridors that are too dark to get a good view of from your location.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 18/18 | 1/2: HD | Action Surge: Ready

In the downtime between their spiritual encounter and their trek into the newly discovered basement Lordorim had spent that time with his arm out of good armor as he rubbed some homemade mint salve into the area where the animated armour had clocked him. Sloppy performance there, the one hit he took in the the entire engagement and it was a clumsy haymaker, he would have to do better, but this activity was getting him out of the slump he was in.

Lordorim spends a hit dice to heal himself for 7, taking him to full.

He also gains the Action Surge feature alongside +7 HP and a hit die


The salve cooled his bruises as he skulked through the basement, looking for spooks. He stopped when the path forked ahead of them. "Hmmm, shall we go to the north or the west first gents?"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 12
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


"There are more paths down this way - stairways that continue to descend. This place looks like a maze."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

After taking a few minutes to clear his head and steady his breathing, Mokrul comments, "Maybe it's the air down here, or something? I feel like I've been kicked by a horse. Are you guys feeling all right?" His attention had been focused inward, but he began to parse the area now that his vision was clearing a bit. The narrow, cramped hallways would not make for a pleasant experience if any dangers were lying in wait, and it was unlikely they would be able to bring their full effectiveness in battle to the table. Splitting up would be dangerous, but staying together wouldn't be particularly useful given the tight hallways.

Plot posted:

... a room with a large wooden table ... floor is strewn with bones of various sizes.
With no good choice, he sighs and follows after Noroco, who had already forged a path onwards. "We should be careful not to get lost, or separated. Maze or not, a decor of bone flooring doesn't leave much to the imagination as to the danger that might be lurking around every corner." Reaching into his bag of feed, he adjusts his leash and lets one of the chickens take the lead, keeping the other two in reserve for their own safety. Leading his heroic fowl forward by tossing the food in an intended path, Mokrul explains, "Time for these little guys to shine. You'd be surprised how effective a chicken is at ferreting out hidden dangers, to say nothing of baiting invisible gelatin monsters."

>> Investigate and Perception >> Trying to clear the area as Noroco wanders.
>> Chicken >> Doing work.

As his chicken pecks away, he offers some words of encouragement, "I believe in you, Hen Solo."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (12) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


As Mokruls chickens peck around the room, nudging the bones with their beaks, once wanders close to the alcove in the corner. In a flash something truly bizarre happens; the stone begins to move. As fast as a lightning strike a large snake-like being shoots forward from the alcove and grabs the chicken in its four tentacles, before tearing into it quickly with its beak. It flings the chicken into the corner and raises itself as high as it can, hissing at the party.

Roll Initiative! Roll20 map updated for Grick.



Tentacles; Beak: 1d20+4 23 1d20+4 15 RIP Chicken

Initiative: 1d20+2 14

code:

Grick:          14

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Mokrul sighs inwardly, resigning himself to the fact that he would need to arrange another chicken funeral before the day was over. Still, he reasoned, better Hen Solo than Noroco or himself.
>> Initiative 11
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (combat) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2018 around 00:25

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 12
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


initiative: 1d20+2 19

"Sune's tits!" Noroco blurts out as the stone suddenly becomes a horrendous tentacle snake with a beak that eviscerates Hen Solo, lashing out with a bolt of ghostly pale magic where normally a bolt of fire would be, dragging it across the creature in panicked surprise.

Rolled a 19 Initiative
Will do an Eldritch Blast - rolled a 16 to hit
If 16 hits, the Blast will do - 9 Damage
Eldritch Blast: 1d20+5 16
Eldritch Blast (Damage): 1d10 9


Recovering slightly Noroco brings up his shield and rushes over to Mokrul, "Get behind me, get behind me!"

Will move to engage the creature and try to interpose between it and Mokrul

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

For once, it isn't Sorin's fault that something attacked out of nowhere! He spends a small modicum of time relishing in that small comfort, then decides he'd better well get with the business of taking down whatever delightful horror Roc had found now. He charges into the room, careful to keep the table between himself and the frankly incredibly disturbing tentacle-snake, before bellowing out, "Sune's light will find you even here, fiend! Have at you!"

His shield shimmers with light for a moment, then radiant flames blaze out towards the beast!

Initiative: 1d20+2 16
Sacred Flame (Dex DC13): 1d8 3

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 116/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 | Slots: 2/2

He'd followed along with a quiet tension in his step, bow at the ready for anything that might approach. When the rock monster makes itself known, then, the Firbolg doesn't hesitate, putting an arrow into the stony hide before most everybody has a chance to do anything.

Initiative at 2d20k1+2=19.
Attack at 2d20k1+6=16. Damage for 1d8+2=6 piercing.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 20/20 | PP: 14

The Sergeant, spending her time investigating the tombs and giving their ghostly companion a theoretical sidelong glance, is taken off-guard by the appearance of the grick, and takes a moment to snap to attention. When she is able, however, she lets out a low growl and launches herself at the creature, her grip on the staff more sure after the warm-up experience of beating down the armor and ghastly apparition upstairs.

Initiative: 1d20-1 7

When able to act:
Quarterstaff Attack: 1d20+5 22
Quarterstaff Damage: 1d6+5 6

Bonus Attack: 1d20+5 8

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 18/18 | 1/2: HD | Action Surge: Ready

"Welp, that was quick" It was a good thing however that Lordorim already had his sword out when the chicken met it's grisly demise.

Lordorim rolls a 17 for his initiative.

"What ever malign force inhabits this basement, it's clearly not keeping the pests down" Lordorim pondered out loud as he walked around the table, flourished his sword a little, and plunged it downwards.

Lordorim swings at the beast with a 15, and hits it for 8 slashing damage (if he hits)

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Despite being staggered by the flurry of blows, the serpent creature is able to writhe out of the way of the blast of fire from Sorin. It quickly worms its way towards deWytte and shoots forward. It's tentacled maw wraps around the sergeants leg, barbed hooks on the ends quickly sinking into flesh. deWytte is able to kick the beast off of her, but the hooks tear large gashes in her ankle as the tentacles unwrap from her.


Dex Save: 1d20+2 21
Tentacles: 1d20+4 19 2d6+2 13
Beak: 1d20+4 12 1d6+2 8

code:

Erevan:         19
Lodorim:        17
Sorin:          16
Grick:          14
Mokrul:         11
deWytte:        7

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin watches in horror as the beast ravages the Sergeant, then cries out, "You shall not take her! Die, fiend, and trouble us no more!"

The thought of healing her wounds does occur, but something holds him back. The sneaking suspicion that, whatever is to come, it will require every ounce of Sune's favor to combat. Instead, he raises his voice in prayer as his shield shimmers with light, then radiant flames blaze out towards the beast once more!

Sacred Flame (Dex DC13): 1d8 7

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 12
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


"I submit filling this basement with oil and setting it ablaze!"

Noroco tries to hide behind his shield, keeping the thing's thrashing away while he makes arcane gestures with his right hand. He throws more magic at this horrifying rock-tentacle-beak-snake, dragging the beam up the length of the creature trying to find some purchase along its unnatural hide.

More eldritch blasts, rolled a 21 to hit and 6 damage
Eldritch Blast: 1d20+5 21
Eldritch Blast (Damage): 1d10 6

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

He was, admittedly, not well informed when it came to the strengths and weaknesses of tentacle monsters. When in doubt, though, he'd always found that a knife to the face tended to be an effective method of problem solving. Reaching down to the sheath on his belt, Mokrul deftly retrieves, hefts, and throws a dagger into the creature's gaping maw. With his spare hand, he desperately tries to wrangle his concerned flock. "That is definitely going to get infected if you aren't careful."

>> Interaction >> Draw or sheathe a weapon (dagger).
>> Attack (action) 19 >> vs. tentacle monster, throwing a dagger, dealing 10 piercing damage.
>> Chicken (2) >> Freaking out.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (combat) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2018 around 02:10

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The creature recoils from the group, shrieking and writhing on the ground after Mokruls dagger found its mark in it's jaws. After a few final spasms, the worm lays still on the ground.

Combat over.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

... a large snake-like being ... raises itself as high as it can, hissing at the party.
Mokrul gives his two remaining chickens a bit of length on the leash so that they aren't forced to follow him into the crime scene. Wading through the remnants of the melee, he bends down over the corpse of the serpent, and picks up his dagger. Wiping the blood and filth off on the feathers of the corpse of his nearby former chicken, he takes a moment to survey the scene: a dead tentacle monster, a very dead chicken, and dozens ...hundreds?... of miscellaneous and difficult to identify bones. Looking back to the corpse of the serpent, and then to the wound in the sergeant's ankle, Mokrul comments, "It looks like this one..."



"... is hisstory."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (yeeaaaahh!) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2018 around 05:16

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 12
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


He takes a few deep breaths, looking at his hand confused. He makes the arcane gestures for firebolt, but instead of flames ghostly gossamer, almost like spiderwebs wrap around his fingers. He shakes them off and tries again, with the same result. Noroco frowns, "Well, that's new."

Noroco looks up, unsure where his ghostly companion was at the given moment, "Are you doing that?"

After a moment he decides it doesn't matter and he looks around, "Anyway. Are you alright Sergeant? Should we pull back and let you heal that leg for a minute?"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?


Sergeant deWytte
AC: 18 | HP: 20 -> 7 -> 12/20 | PP: 14

deWytte grimaces as the serpent-creature collapses to the ground, allowing herself to sink to a knee. She gently and gingerly probes the gashes on her leg left by the creature's tentacles, and pauses in consideration. "I'll be fine. I still have some reserves, and if it comes to it, there's a restorative on my belt. I'd rather save it if I can, though; this doesn't seem like the kind of town that bristles with handy alchemy shops." Her hands glow with their warm light, and the gashes close, stemming the flow of blood, though the rents in her breeches remain.

Standing and brushing herself off, the Sergeant picks up her weapons and nods firmly. "In my professional opinion, whatever's down here is total nonsense and needs to be dealt with-- and I'm afraid fire won't quite cut it. At least, not indiscriminate fire."

Action: using remaining 5 points in Lay on Hands pool.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Skinny" Erevan
Arrows: 116/120 | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 | Slots: 2/2

He helps the sergeant up once she's patched herself up, before looking over the tentacle corpse, prodding it with a foot to make sure it's dead. "Hm. That can't have been the monster, right?" He listens carefully for a moment. "The chanting hasn't stopped. Guess not. Onwards?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

He suspected Skinny was correct: while the tentacle beast was gross, it didn't seem likely that it was the 'monster' they had come to slay. He comments wryly, "Well, one of those things might not have been the monster, but a nest of twenty or thirty of them might be a serious problem." He looks down to the corpse of his former chicken friend lying on the floor, and cuts the tether that had bound it to the larger leash. With a sigh, he retrieves a second chicken from his reserve, gives it about twenty feet of leash, tosses some feed to begin to guide it onwards, makes eye contact with the fowl, and beseeches it, "You're my only hope."

>> Investigate and Perception >> Clearing a path.
>> Chicken >> Doing work.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (trapfinding) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jul 13, 2018 around 20:13

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Noroco "Roc" Olvir
AC: 18 | HP: 13/13 | PP: 12
Sorcerer Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/2]
Warlock Spellcasting: Lv1 [1/1]


"Alright, I'll take point beside Mokrul then. We'll try to spread out the horrific injuries from these damnable spawn."

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Moving down the corridor the party passes by a dusty and cobweb filled corridor that leads down to more stairs. Moving still west you enter a large room that appears to be a domitory; 5 alcoves house beds, a small padlocked chest sitting next to each. In the centre of the room sits a well, rope and bucket still tied to the wooden posts.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Brother Sorin of the Ruby Rose

Sorin looks at the chest, then at the well, and says, "Well, now, it seems we've found where the chanters live."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Plot posted:

a large room ... domitory ... 5 alcoves ... beds, a small padlocked chest sitting next to each.
Having endured potentially lethal encounters with tentacle monsters, ghosts, an armored security system, and all of the other eccentricities of the manor so far, Mokrul was all too happy to finally be presented with a scenario he was familiar with. Without even really thinking about it, he retrieves his torsion wrench from his kit and makes his way over to the first of nearly half a dozen chests littered about the room. Twirling the trademark tool of locksmiths and thieves in his hands, he begins singing a popular Waukeenar hymn, believed by many to bring good luck in this sort of situation. It was superstition, of course, but he liked the tune, and it helped him focus on the rhythm of the task of picking a lock.

>> Singing >> "Forget what you heard. It's what you hearin'. It's what you hearin', listen. It's what you hearin', listen."
>> Thieves' tools 13 >> vs. chest #1.
>> Singing >> "Waukeen gon' give it to ya. Forget waitin' for you to get it on your own, Waukeen gon' deliver to ya."
>> Thieves' tools 9 >> vs. chest #2.
>> Singing >> "Knock knock, open up the door, it's real!"
>> Thieves' tools 25 >> vs. chest #3.
>> Singing >> "With non-stop, pop-pop of iron and steel."
>> Thieves' tools 24 >> vs. chest #4.
>> Singing >> "Go hard, gettin' busy with it. But I got such a good heart, I'll make a magistrate wonder if he did it."
>> Thieves' tools 23 >> vs. chest #5.
>> Singing >> "drat right, and I'll do it again."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (lockpicking) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Waador fucked around with this message at Jul 14, 2018 around 03:39

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


The first and second chests locks prove more than Mokruls lockpicking skill can take down, but he is able to crack the other 3 open. Moldy remains of clothes, scraps of paper and other odds and ends fill the chests but each does contain some items of interest.

Chest 3: Black Leather eye-patch with a carnelian sewn into it
Chest 4: Ivory Hairbrush with silver bristles
Chest 5: Silvered Shortsword

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Lost in the rhythm of his work, Mokrul happily makes his way counterclockwise around the room. When his first circuit is finished, he finds himself with a passing grade, as three out of five locks had been won over with technique. That notwithstanding, he had a very particular process for this sort of thing. He always began with attempting to pick a lock, in order to ensure he took the opportunity to ensure his skill with a torsion wrench remained sharp, and to take advantage of the opportunity to learn something new about security systems if the craftsman happened to be particularly innovative. When technique and tools of surgical precision failed, though, there was always a fallback option.

Approaching the hot mess of the two defiant chests, Mokrul sighs and returns his torsion wrench to his duffel bag. Looking the padlocks over for a moment, he suggests, "I'd rather know what is inside these before knocking any of them around too violently." Reaching into his bag, he retrieves a three-foot-long piece of cast iron, shaped like a crow's foot at the tip, with a wedge on the other end. In the dim light of the basement, the nearby Lordorim might notice an engraving in the Draconic language along the side of the tool, reading 'Whosoever holds this iron crow, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of a Freeman'. Approaching the first of the remaining defiant chests, he begins prying it apart at the seams, hoping to confirm they do not contain anything particularly dangerous.

>> Singing >> "First we gonna' break, then we gonna' enter."
>> Crowbar 15 >> vs. defiant chest #1.
>> Singing >> "Then we let it pop, right there, in the center."
>> Crowbar 18 >> vs. defiant chest #2.
>> Singing >> "Waukeen gon' give it to ya', she gon' give it to ya'."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (lockpicking) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Death, but with a gun



Lordorim Shambastik
AC: 18 | HP: 18/18 | 1/2: HD | Action Surge: Ready

A few frantic moments of action were over in the span of 12 seconds, as Lordorim paused to shake the blood off of his sword.

Waador posted:

"It looks like this one..."


"... is hisstory."

Lordorim at this point just stares narrow eyed at Mokrul, refusing to dignify that crime against good humour with even an exasperated sigh, he turns to deWytte as she tends to her wounds "Are you able to walk captain? That little bugger took a chunk out of you for sure."

---

Ovo posted:

Moving down the corridor the party passes by a dusty and cobweb filled corridor that leads down to more stairs. Moving still west you enter a large room that appears to be a domitory; 5 alcoves house beds, a small padlocked chest sitting next to each. In the centre of the room sits a well, rope and bucket still tied to the wooden posts.

Approaching the group proper, Lordorim steps in and immediately sights the well. "Well boon companions any luck on the source of this mystery?" Squeezing past the group, Lordorim , one hand on his shield carefully attempts to look down the well.

Looking for spooks, Lordorim rolls a 14 on his perception roll to peer into the well for anything of interest

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.

Pillbug

Mokrul Verdant Allweather > 13 / 13 HP / 13 AC

Lordorim Shambastik posted:

"Well boon companions any luck on the source of this mystery?"
In the process of unlocking and 'unlocking' the assortment of padlocked chests, Mokrul shakes his head and responds, "Only more questions over here, I'm afraid." He inquires, "What do an eye patch, a silver hairbrush, and a silver sword have in common?" After a brief pause, he explains, "That isn't a riddle or anything, I don't think. The contents of these chests don't seem to have any theme to them." He does add, "Though that said, if anyone would like a silvered blade, I've got one over here. It's possible they had a silver armament laying around for something more than ceremonial purposes." The possibilities were too broad for him to really gauge, unfortunately.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (16) / Investigation (16) / Insight (14) / Darkvision (60')
Effects: Inspiration / Concentration (lockpicking) / Stealth
Long Rest: Hit Dice (2/2d8) / Blessing of the Forge
> Cantrips: GuidanceC / Mending / Sacred Flame
> [2/2] Lv. 1: Healing Word / Detect MagicRC / CeremonyR / IdentifyRD / Searing SmiteCD
Resources:: Arrow (20) / Iron key (library) / Jewelry box (bedroom) / House blueprint (floor 1/2/3)
Livestock: Chickens (11) / Chicken Feed (100 pounds)
Map / Journal
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules


Perception: The well is dried out, it's source must have died some time ago. Stone walls go down aboout 15 feet, at which point a thick layer of mud covers the bottom of the well. If there is anything abnormal hiding in the well, you cannot see it, as it appears to be nothing more than stone and mud inside.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«8 »