Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agreed about Alpha Protocol. One of the most underrated games of all time. And yea, pistols/stealth/martial arts is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
When I first played Alpha Protocol it blew my mind when I realized you could make allies of literally any character you encountered. But what really sold me was when I realized you could also make enemies of any named character. I engineered my third playthrough specifically so I could maximize the amount of foreheads that needed to be fed a bullet.

Also just finished ME3 again, and every god drat time I forget that the final conversation with Starchild is genuinely the worst piece of writing Bioware has ever produced, and it hasn't just been judged harshly for where it happens.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also just finished ME3 again, and every god drat time I forget that the final conversation with Starchild is genuinely the worst piece of writing Bioware has ever produced, and it hasn't just been judged harshly for where it happens.

you can't even bring up the geth/quarian peace to rebut him lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Shepard, whose chief character trait is the ability to own people so hard by yelling that half the villain gallery will shoot themselves in the face on her word: So if I jump into this big laser I will be disintegrated, but also it will release a spark of space magic that creates robot DNA and gives it to everything in the galaxy, and therefore ending all conflict forever?

Starchild: Yes. I am too smart to explain it to you, but that is exactly what will happen. You have no reason to distrust me, a haywire genocide AI routine.

Shepard, taking all of it at face value: I cannot ethically defend making that decision unilaterally.

Starchild: You have implants for shooting guns better, how is this any different?

Shepard, thoroughly owned by facts and logic: *cough splutter* That's different!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand this "star child" you mention. There were no sequels to ME2 so surely this must be fanfic related.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Tell me another story of the Shepard

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Moola posted:

the hilarious thing about this is that if ME3's ending was even like, just fine, people would have found that bit charming. buzz aldrin!

instead it's just ridiculous

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I've said it before, I was fine with ME3s original ending. I went Red Ending, had a crazy amount of Warscore because the MP was actually good and so I had Shephard crawl out from the rubble, still alive while the Reapers were all dead. It meant Starchild was full of poo poo and I could reconcile that all of my effort probably wasn't in vain and the Galaxy was going to be fine.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The ending was bad, but I enjoyed the rest of the game enough that it didn't phase me too much. Similar to how ME1's dogshit combat was worth slogging through thanks to everything else the game had going for it.

Like, drat, we don't really notice now because it's become the industry norm, but Mass Effect 1 was the first non-linear RPG to have a fully voiced protagonist. Before Shepard, everyone was a mute outside of and often within cutscenes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Moola posted:

She ate a gay baby skeleton

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PROVE ME WRONG!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

Based on historical records the Shepard dated an "ellusive man" who we presume was the victim of domestic violence. The divorce was nasty and involved stolen luggage. There was also a custody dispute over their two children named Jack and Miranda.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Skippy McPants posted:

The ending was bad, but I enjoyed the rest of the game enough that it didn't phase me too much. Similar to how ME1's dogshit combat was worth slogging through thanks to everything else the game had going for it.

Like, drat, we don't really notice now because it's become the industry norm, but Mass Effect 1 was the first non-linear RPG to have a fully voiced protagonist. Before Shepard, everyone was a mute outside of and often within cutscenes.

Remember how you basically had to play multiplayer or follow a guide for three games to get that? :v:

Not that the multiplayer was bad, but it's an odd choice for a game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even without the multiplayer it was difficult to get a low war score ending, unless you just never played the previous games and breezed through everything. Now with all the DLC and patches it's almost mathematically impossible.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skippy McPants posted:

Witcher 1 came out first. I feel like there were other games that did a voiced protag as well but I can’t think of any.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

exquisite tea posted:

Even without the multiplayer it was difficult to get a low war score ending, unless you just never played the previous games and breezed through everything. Now with all the DLC and patches it's almost mathematically impossible.

First time i went through i didn't have live or the dlc, which sucked because i'd changed consoles in between the first two and the third. Ended up playing the first two again.

Still a weird loving choice.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Witcher 1 came out first. I feel like there were other games that did a voiced protag as well but I can’t think of any.

Super mario 64

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

spooky skins are up, time to buy em all

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

No skull decal wtf

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
:gas:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i'm the ribcage

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I mean, a month earlier, but yeah that's another good example. It was exceedingly rare at the time.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the shameless "2.0 is coming real soon honest and it'll be totes better".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Didn’t the Gothic games have full VA as well when they released?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/10/28/anthem-update-javelin-gameplay-builds/

They copied Destiny’s UI

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

that is a remarkably comprehensive ripoff lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

incredible

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Holy poo poo, it's literally Destiny's UI.

Before I clicked the link I was like, surely it's a joke.

But it's not a joke.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wow, an incredible case of convergent evolution since nobody at Bioware has ever played Destiny.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, an incredible case of convergent evolution since nobody at Bioware has ever played Destiny.

It is priceless that during development the project leads refused to let them play Destiny because they didn't want to risk copying any of the good ideas.

And now this is where they're at.

Amazing.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

It’s funny bc I never played destiny I was thinking “hey that actually looks good” but now it makes much more sense.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that UI is loving shameless lol

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I really do wonder what the price point is for EA to save the Bioware name and if Anthem is gonna hit it. Cause EA may be hoping for a No Man Sky redo with Anthem but I think they are too cheap to pull it off.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

what's that "frostbyte" image at the top? is that to prove theyr'e actually coding something and not just farting around with concept art?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I can only assume there is an exec who really wants to play this game when its good and that is the only reason it isn't abandoned. But someone saw him get his 2020 moments of triumph shirt or something, and so they are copying the UI from destiny.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's also small hints of AC:Origins/Odyssey's UI - particularly the golden flair on gear descriptions.

Completely shameless. Will it also have a slow-moving cursor?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
And is that it? A rebuild skill tree?

That's not new content, surely they must understand that this omni-shambles of a game, can't be saved without new poo poo for whatever sad lunatics still play this.

Or is this just the prelude to going FREE2PLAY and telling the loyalist to go stick it?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Well, i hope they had fun