Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Frustrated posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2 is a AAA game by a AAA developer

DOS2 was funded with a loving kickstarter, it's not a AAA game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Outriders demo just came out to those who aren’t following along.

Aka the next Anthem 2.0 possibly maybe.

It’s game time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Klyith posted:

DOS2 was funded with a loving kickstarter, it's not a AAA game

It's most accurate to say that Larian is an AA studio. They're not owned by any publisher and their game budgets are way above indie range (DOS2 cost around $40mil to make), but they're not some billion dollar megacorp either.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anthem dying for DA

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365005940739743745?s=21

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

What a surprise, people love single player games.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
YOU MUST BUY GWEENDORFS EXPANSION PACK FOR $19.99 TO PROCEED

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheAgent posted:

YOU MUST BUY GWEENDORFS EXPANSION PACK FOR $19.99 TO PROCEED

The camp DLC vendor NPC now just seems quaint and charming.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The funniest about all of this is BioWare titled their blog post Anthem Update. The 4 people that actually got their hopes up for the game to continue had momentary bliss their waiting for Anthem 2.0 wasn’t for naught to an abrupt gently caress you in the opening sentence.

Awesome move by BioWare and I approve.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Dpulex posted:

Your hopes are too high. This is AAA and bioware. Even having no hopes is too much hope.

I would agree 99% of the time.

But this time, hope springs eter- nah it's Bioware they're gonna screw THIS one up as well somehow...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365005940739743745?s=20

EDIT: Wow I got glitched beaten

Brimstone Inquiry fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 25, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

exquisite tea posted:

It's most accurate to say that Larian is an AA studio. They're not owned by any publisher and their game budgets are way above indie range (DOS2 cost around $40mil to make), but they're not some billion dollar megacorp either.

Yeah whether you wanna call it AA or "big indie" or whatever, there's been a major resurgence of the middle-ground studios that had died out over the 360-PS3 era. See also, Obsidian and the half-dozen other studios MS snapped up last year before they went all-in on Bethesda.

ZeeBoi posted:

What a surprise, people love single player games.

Live-service games were always planting the seed of their own doom, because all these games try to suck people in & get them to buy MTX by keeping them playing for hundreds of hours. Apparently nobody ever stopped to think about how many fewer games people would buy if every goddamn game on the market was a GaaS.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 25, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

So first they cancel and reboot DA4 because it didn't have live services, and now they're gonna cancel and reboot DA4 so that it doesn't have live services.

:wtc: :bioware:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Friendship with live services ended, now distracting people with token games to give cover to the live services is my best friend

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

Live-service games were always planting the seed of their own doom, because all these games try to suck people in & get them to buy MTX by keeping them playing for hundreds of hours. Apparently nobody ever stopped to think about how many fewer games people would buy if every goddamn game on the market was a GaaS.

The weird thing is that nobody seemed to remember the same poo poo happening with MMOs. Maybe they figured without a subscription people would have room in their lives for more than one at a time, but hard drive space is still a limiting factor for a lot of people, plus these games are designed to feel like such obligations that people aren't going to be able to (or want to) keep up with a bunch at once.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Sinteres posted:

The weird thing is that nobody seemed to remember the same poo poo happening with MMOs. Maybe they figured without a subscription people would have room in their lives for more than one at a time, but hard drive space is still a limiting factor for a lot of people, plus these games are designed to feel like such obligations that people aren't going to be able to (or want to) keep up with a bunch at once.

Maybe EA/Bioware finally figured out that 2000s style lovely, endless grind & collection quests aren't what make people play WoW?

I still laugh everytime I remember that my Inquisitor, Queen of Skyhold, mender of the mage-templar wars, and Herald of Andraste; must kneel down every twenty seconds to pick up a flower because my giant castle filled with true believers has no herbalists to do the collecting for me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

lmao @ bioshock infinite being mentioned as a game of the decade. You almost had me until that.

this gave me a lol too

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ah drat now what are they gonna blame when, like the last 3 games, DA4 has boring, unengaging gameplay.

NikkolasKing posted:

The fact is, DA as a whole is a much stronger franchise than ME. ME is three barely connected games that proport to be part of a trilogy but which don't really line up well at all. I think Dragon Age has managed to stay consistent and build up a coherent, cohesive universe. DAO might have ben the best but I think it was a great first entry in a franchise that could go a good while.

the main thing ME has over DA is a solid if mostly unexciting gameplay identity that makes all three games play cohesively and coherently together, whereas DA appears to be designed based on whatever the lead designer had just played at the start of development

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
One tiny flake of gold floating in a Lake Superior of poo poo.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Re this thread:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
mods rename this to the Dranthem thread

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1364907375723962370?s=19

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think the space setting is also a lot more unique in that big budget RPG genre as well. That made Mass Effect stand out more whereas Dragon Age felt like yet another fantasy rpg with dragons and a big enemy army that basically act like orcs.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so this is what the second DAI retooling? that game is going to suck

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

so this is what the second DAI retooling? that game is going to suck

Round 1 sounded dope, espionage tactical in Tevintor?

Maybe they're picking that back up

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When people say "AAA games are bad" I assume they mean all the gray 1st/3rd-person shooters with a disgruntled protagonist and over-the-top graphics budgets, not Mario.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When people say "AAA games are bad" I assume they mean all the gray 1st/3rd-person shooters with a disgruntled protagonist and over-the-top graphics budgets, not Mario.

People actually just mean "Game I dont like" because the games they do like don't count

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only AAA game i've remotely enjoyed in the past year is Apex, i've gotten far more enjoyment out of dumb indie stuff than your regular AAA release.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I hope you're in the mood for some more cancellations.

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/377972/Report_EA_cancels_new_property_Gaia_after_six_years_in_development_at_EA_Motive.php

quote:

EA has reportedly canceled a new property codenamed 'Gaia' after six years in development.

The project was being worked on by Star Wars: Squadrons developer EA Motive, and was briefly teased during a video showcase at EA Play 2020.

(I'd link to the original Bloomberg story but their paywall is incredibly annoying)

So now EA Motive has also been dealt a huge blow.

If I were an EA investor, I'd be seriously concerned right now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EA could shutter literally every other studio they own and still profit $750 million a year from FIFA cards, that's where they make all their money.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, and from an investor point of view, they should do exactly that, instead of throwing money away on projects that will just get cancelled anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ErrEff posted:

I hope you're in the mood for some more cancellations.

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/377972/Report_EA_cancels_new_property_Gaia_after_six_years_in_development_at_EA_Motive.php

(I'd link to the original Bloomberg story but their paywall is incredibly annoying)

So now EA Motive has also been dealt a huge blow.

If I were an EA investor, I'd be seriously concerned right now.

After seeing what EA studio product when given more than 3ish years to make something just killing every project that has gone on for more than 4ish years without release is probably a really good idea.

DAO was in production for a total of 6 years but only full production for 3. I don’t think any EA long production game has been good since?

However it shouldn’t be concerning from an investor standpoint. FIFA/Madden are the consistent money makers, everything is speculative to try and make lots more but it’s ok if they just break even. Apex really took off for example after the titanfalls merely did “ok”.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 26, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Lone Badger posted:

Bioware is dead. Just give them a mercy-kill IMO.

*Paragon Interrupts*

No! They still have to make Dragon Age 4! Something more than just concept art and another trailer i mean!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
let me date the dragons and i’ll buy it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kaysette posted:

Morrigan's son ages up and becomes a companion.

What's that? She didn't have a son in your game? Then that companion is still there, but he is a blood magic projection of her issues with motherhood.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Uhh...yes they did? It was the same group that put out the masterful Mass Effect Andromeda. No, I don't know how MEA's MP was such a wet fart compared to 3, but it was the same guys.

Yes and no, it was developed by Bioware Montreal, which as much as a Bioware studio as Bioware Austin is. It's was an EA created auxiliary studio that they just slapped the Bioware name on for entirely marketing purposes.

The Kins posted:

Respawn seems to be the only EA studio that doesn't use Frostbite. It's kind of an odd situation given the rest of EA, but I guess nobody wants to be responsible for strangling the goose that lays the golden eggs.

They apparently have an air-tight contract with a buy back clause that's similar to what Bungie had with Microsoft, where EA are allowed to set budgets, schedules, and planned projects, but they're not allowed to interfere with how Respawn is run and managed on any level. So they're less of an EA studio, more like independent company working exclusively under EA.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 27, 2021

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Kaysette posted:

every single furry will now buy your game

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1365527100950732800?s=19

Early work on my most explicit Anthem reference. This will be an ability that boosts your damage resistance and makes fire hurt you less. The tradeoff is that you need to plug into the ground for it to work, and you'll be anchored to the ground with a short cord while the armor is up.

This can be an advantage though, because your mech (Nitro) has trouble stopping so the anchor can serve as a brake when you're flying by something. It'll also prevent enemies from knocking you away as far.

Design inspiration was definitely tech armor from ME3, as well as the titanfall 2 scorch ability that reduced self damage. I dislike abilities that are set-it-and-forget-it only because it feels like a missed opportunity for an interesting choice. I'm excited about this ability because the first thought is that it trades mobility for passive defense but clever use allows for increased mobility.

This can also do some fun stuff with my deck building upgrade system. All cards will have tags, and they'll interact with each other based on the tags. So this ability will have a "mobility down" tag, and I can have a card that gives boosted gun damage for every mobility down tag.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I feel Anthem was a fun foundation for a game that was IN DEVELOPMENT, but not as a finished product. However, EA said that they would support Anthem's development for the next 10 years. . . they barely even hit the 2 year mark. Due to false advertising and delivering a technically broken product (remember when some ps4's were getting bricked when the game cause consoles to hard-crash at one point?) would EA be at risk of a Class Action Lawsuit for this or any other reason regarding Anthem?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

jisforjosh posted:

I feel Anthem was a fun foundation for a game that was IN DEVELOPMENT, but not as a finished product. However, EA said that they would support Anthem's development for the next 10 years. . . they barely even hit the 2 year mark. Due to false advertising and delivering a technically broken product (remember when some ps4's were getting bricked when the game cause consoles to hard-crash at one point?) would EA be at risk of a Class Action Lawsuit for this or any other reason regarding Anthem?

They fixed the bricking issues. Any lawsuit over them would have been closer to the time.

And there's almost certainly some sort of asterix on the ten years development support. And even if not, if a judge ordered them to honour their promise of supporting development for another 8 years, they could just hire one intern to work on new skins, and maybe a new weapon every 3-4 years. Supporting a game's development is too wishy washy a statement to put any real faith in. Hell, just by keeping the server online and updated / working could count as fulfilling any promise. Even if in a year's time said server is a Dell Inspiron laptop also used to prop the server room's broom cupboard door open.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Describing Anthem as having been “supported” for 2 years is immensely generous. They effectively released zero content for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

eonblue174 posted:

https://twitter.com/IndeedRyan/status/1365527100950732800?s=19

Early work on my most explicit Anthem reference. This will be an ability that boosts your damage resistance and makes fire hurt you less. The tradeoff is that you need to plug into the ground for it to work, and you'll be anchored to the ground with a short cord while the armor is up.

This can be an advantage though, because your mech (Nitro) has trouble stopping so the anchor can serve as a brake when you're flying by something. It'll also prevent enemies from knocking you away as far.

Design inspiration was definitely tech armor from ME3, as well as the titanfall 2 scorch ability that reduced self damage. I dislike abilities that are set-it-and-forget-it only because it feels like a missed opportunity for an interesting choice. I'm excited about this ability because the first thought is that it trades mobility for passive defense but clever use allows for increased mobility.

This can also do some fun stuff with my deck building upgrade system. All cards will have tags, and they'll interact with each other based on the tags. So this ability will have a "mobility down" tag, and I can have a card that gives boosted gun damage for every mobility down tag.
If I don't maximize the window the stuff on your guy's helmet makes him look like Glottis. Note: this is a good thing.