Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Ha! Yeah I see it lol, it'll be even better when I'm further along bc the shell is going to deploy around your torso like a mouth. I haven't played Grim fandango, does Glottis have a unique speaking sound or something? I could have it as a rare deployment sfx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

jisforjosh posted:

I feel Anthem was a fun foundation for a game that was IN DEVELOPMENT, but not as a finished product. However, EA said that they would support Anthem's development for the next 10 years. . . they barely even hit the 2 year mark. Due to false advertising and delivering a technically broken product (remember when some ps4's were getting bricked when the game cause consoles to hard-crash at one point?) would EA be at risk of a Class Action Lawsuit for this or any other reason regarding Anthem?

i almost did this one lol

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Masonity posted:

They fixed the bricking issues. Any lawsuit over them would have been closer to the time.

And there's almost certainly some sort of asterix on the ten years development support. And even if not, if a judge ordered them to honour their promise of supporting development for another 8 years, they could just hire one intern to work on new skins, and maybe a new weapon every 3-4 years. Supporting a game's development is too wishy washy a statement to put any real faith in. Hell, just by keeping the server online and updated / working could count as fulfilling any promise. Even if in a year's time said server is a Dell Inspiron laptop also used to prop the server room's broom cupboard door open.
They might actually have to give out reconciliatory copies of FIFA 19 or CoD in countries with laws that aren't directly antagonistic to consumers.

Tough luck for us Freedom Havers, though. :911:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

leftist heap posted:

Describing Anthem as having been “supported” for 2 years is immensely generous. They effectively released zero content for it.

Uh excuse me rear end in a top hat they added some windy rain for an encounter so check yourself

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

ICR posted:

Outriders demo just came out to those who aren’t following along.

Aka the next Anthem 2.0 possibly maybe.

It’s game time.

The Anthem comparison isn't quite fair though - having played the Outriders demo and then going back through all of the earliest game reveal footage, you can see it's all the same game - the exact same cut scenes jumping across the little gap, same gameplay and same bad dialogue. At the very least People Can Fly have been working on a consistent design document and knew what it was they were making, for good or ill, unlike Bioware and Anthem.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

eonblue174 posted:

Ha! Yeah I see it lol, it'll be even better when I'm further along bc the shell is going to deploy around your torso like a mouth. I haven't played Grim fandango, does Glottis have a unique speaking sound or something? I could have it as a rare deployment sfx
He certainly has a distinctive voice, but likes to make vroom vroom noises. RBD just finished up a Grim Fandango LP, you might find some inspiration there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951701

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

I feel Anthem was a fun foundation for a game that was IN DEVELOPMENT, but not as a finished product. However, EA said that they would support Anthem's development for the next 10 years. . . they barely even hit the 2 year mark. Due to false advertising and delivering a technically broken product (remember when some ps4's were getting bricked when the game cause consoles to hard-crash at one point?) would EA be at risk of a Class Action Lawsuit for this or any other reason regarding Anthem?

no

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I could see a nuisance class action lawsuit being filed that EA might settle, getting the lawyers a half a million, one or two main accusers getting something like 10K (after spending like 12K of their own money), and the rest of the people who sign on getting a $5 EA store coupon or something.

I think that's the best case scenario.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The game was fun. All it needed was extra story and some loot tweaks, more weapons. All would have came in regular updates. None of y'all got "beat" by an abusive company. But y'all bitched and cried scared away the entire player base and when there wasn't enough players logged in and not enough players buying cosmetics. The devs rightfully backed off. The toxic way gamers these days bitch and moan, and complain like babies ruined this game. The dumb poo poo everyone complained about got them working on too many things at once even going toward an entire reboot that wasn't even necessarily. What they should have done was ignored y'all's punk asses and continued improving the original version, adding another chapter of story. Y'all did this to yourselves. Next time a game has issues, bring them up, be constructive. Y'all are that meme that shoots the gently caress out of Anthem sitting in a chair and then say "Why would EA do this."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dead from y'all overdose

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
y'xll

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Licarn posted:

The game was fun. All it needed was extra story and some loot tweaks, more weapons. All would have came in regular updates. None of y'all got "beat" by an abusive company. But y'all bitched and cried scared away the entire player base and when there wasn't enough players logged in and not enough players buying cosmetics. The devs rightfully backed off. The toxic way gamers these days bitch and moan, and complain like babies ruined this game. The dumb poo poo everyone complained about got them working on too many things at once even going toward an entire reboot that wasn't even necessarily. What they should have done was ignored y'all's punk asses and continued improving the original version, adding another chapter of story. Y'all did this to yourselves. Next time a game has issues, bring them up, be constructive. Y'all are that meme that shoots the gently caress out of Anthem sitting in a chair and then say "Why would EA do this."

Source yr quotes

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

y'anthem

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

i like this anthyem video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_guh-8sU7I

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jalmlrrvEp4

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

up and anthem

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Unmemeable

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Licarn posted:

It's endlessly funny when it's not the billion company that spend 10 tens of millions developing and marketing a game that responsible for a game's public image but some person that bought a game for full price and thought it sucked. It happens every time a too late trend chasing mismanaged game comes out. Double do when you run into someone that make those comments in another post or article on something they dislike and are like "poo poo sucks lol".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Licarn posted:

I'm gonna guess Low Sodium subreddit

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Licarn posted:

I mean, even the major news outlets and critics panned it...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Artifact is dead now too lmao https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/583950/view/3047218819080842820

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Anthem, Artifact and soon Avengers. The message is clear to video game executives, don't release games starting with A.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

kilus aof posted:

Anthem, Artifact and soon Avengers. The message is clear to video game executives, don't release games starting with A.

Triple-A :shittypop:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

quote:

Here's an overview of our final changes to Artifact Classic:

The game is free for everyone to play.

All players get every card for free. You will no longer be able to buy card packs.

Paid players' existing cards have been converted into special Collector's Edition versions, which will remain marketable. Marketplace integration has been removed from the game.

Paid event tickets have been removed.

Customers who paid for the game will still earn packs of Collector's Edition cards for playing; players who got the game for free will not.
I wonder how much shinier the special Collector's Edition cards are.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I know there's an Avengers thread somewhere but I'm not going to find it.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1367505999595245579

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, already been making GBS threads on it all day. Should be near the top on refresh.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I know there's an Avengers thread somewhere but I'm not going to find it.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1367505999595245579

Well uhh

quote:

The current XP “curve” isn’t really a curve at all. In most RPGs, the amount of XP you need to level up increases as you gain levels in a curve, but our system is a straight line

Lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did gaben run out of people to play?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

quote:

I don’t want my money back, I want a sequel

Ever since 2.0 was canceled, I jumped back in and started playing. There is plenty here for a decent single player game, and flying around in the missions is fun. Where I once felt like I got cheated, I now feel like I got my money’s worth. I just want another. I’d pay for Anthem 2. In the future, though, they need to temper expectations. Under promise, over deliver. Doing the opposite led to the downfall of what I think is a really great first entry.

quote:

Dear Bioware, Strong Alone, Strong Together

This is an open letter to Bioware, with hopes that someone from the company will take note.

Dear Bioware,

As one of the 170 thousand Anthem fans in this community that is, as you are very well aware, collectively extremely disappointed by what has transpired with Anthem over the last 2 years.

However I'm not about to flog a dead horse, instead I would like to assume that with the recent passionate support for #IBelieveinAnthem from this community and others, you are fully aware Anthem is not a complete failure, but rather a diamond in the rough.

You can scan through all the posts here to learn why this game is special, but i would like to draw your attention to something small yet powerful that you created.. "Strong Alone, Strong Together".

We've seen your dev blogs sign off with this mantra and I know people in this community and beyond use it with honor. It has become more than just a tagline for a product, and has the potential to be as memorable as "Live Long And Prosperous".... IF you dont let it die.

Give us a sequel. Shape and polish this diamond and we will be Strong Together.

I understand that game development is a business and must, foremost, take financial considerations before all. But you also are a business that constitutes of highly passionate designers, artists, musicians and programmers that has, under duress, created this gem.

Dont let it die, give us a sequel.

Show us that "Strong Alone, Strong Together" was more than just empty words that you spouted to string us along this cataclysmic two years.

Be Strong Alone. Give us a sequel, and we will be Strong Together.

Gamers are the best marks, they get conned and then literally beg to be conned again

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Stockholm Syndrome is a hell of a drug

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ICR posted:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ICR posted:

what next game are you looking forward to OP?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Underpromise and overdeliver is actually a solid way to do tech support, at least :v:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
i now see my employer has been the gaas all along

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Moola posted:

what next game are you looking forward to OP?

Well, I got Outriders as my next excitement and then Back 4 Blood after that!

If you want to know my next sabotage harbinger of death game, I’m all in on Halo Infinite. It’s gonna probably be bad but I can’t say no to Halo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ICR posted:

If you want to know my next sabotage harbinger of death game, I’m all in on Halo Infinite. It’s gonna probably be bad but I can’t say no to Halo.

Ohh don't forget about Aliens: Fireteam this summer ICR. The game has the micro transaction stank all over it

https://youtu.be/D1GRp19A89A

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I know about THE SKULL and it also flying over one goon's head and into the world trade center but does anybody have a meaty summary start to finish on the finer details of exactly how Anthem disassembled itself at 100 miles per hour down an erupting volcano with updates (or lack thereof) or something

E: Just remembered this

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 5, 2021

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

EorayMel posted:

I know about THE SKULL and it also flying over one goon's head and into the world trade center but does anybody have a meaty summary start to finish on the finer details of exactly how Anthem disassembled itself at 100 miles per hour down an erupting volcano with updates (or lack thereof) or something

E: Just remembered this

Death of a Game covered it pretty well three months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08c8HGzM09k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ICR posted:

As someone in a group of friends with collectively thousands of hours of Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 (mostly Realism VS and races), none of us were very impressed with the alpha a few months ago, nor with the mtx all over the place.