Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

All of that sounds really cool... but I've been burned before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
low-key disappointed by general loot tables. it makes farming specific items super grating and doesn't add much in return.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

As an example of their evolving world, they can say there’s a crazy snowstorm this weekend. That lake you used to dive into is now frozen over and you can get to a new cave. You’ve been to that place a bunch of times, but not in that situation. Now everything is different. The other thing is putting everything into an ongoing narrative. It’s not just that there will be daily and weekly events, there are character arcs and world lore story arcs. There’s a long-term narrative about what’s going on in the world that changes over time.

Wait, hold up. Why on earth would an iced over lake make any different in the way you navigate? You can fly, why would ice suddenly grant access to a cave?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
For what it's worth, I already like the NPC characters from that short trailer more than any of the Destiny NPCs. Especially your armorer.

I'm definitely gonna buy it, also February is semester break around here. I jujst hope that for once a studio learns from the mistakes of other developers. The lackuster loot and gear progression in the release versions of D3, The Division and Destiny are the best examples and it took years and several DLCs to fix the mess.

Diablo 3 in it's current state probably has the best loot progression, I notice that every time a fresh season starts. You can go after specific builds and items. But you are not entirely at the mercy of RNG since there are several end-game viable builds and depending on the legendaries you find you can make interim builds to speed up your farming, or discover that another build which you were not aiming for (but found the items for) is also a lot of fun.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 11, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That's not surprising, you've got Bioware writers going up against lmaobungie morons who couldn't write to save their lives. They're some of the worst in the industry.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Iacen posted:

Wait, hold up. Why on earth would an iced over lake make any different in the way you navigate? You can fly, why would ice suddenly grant access to a cave?

shut up NERD

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Iacen posted:

Jetpack's not unlimited and you can't use it in the water, I'm guessing. Iced over lake provides a solid surface from which to boost into the cave.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Iacen posted:

Wrap it up, Biowailures!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Iacen posted:

the lava in front of the cave opening froze, duh

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

This applies to probably one or two of you, or maybe a 1/2 of you. Whatevs:

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1018884520781623297

Meet A-list celebrity developers Anthem Developer 1 and Anthem Developer 2.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to read the Anthem tie in comic series!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Bioware dev signing is actually a walk-on audition to help them finish Anthem.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
have they shown off what dance emotes u can do when u kill off the indigenous creatures of the land

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Nope but there will be an emote wheel, so we know we can carry more than one emote at least.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

https://twitter.com/biomarkdarrah/status/1018327239903985664?s=21

pew pew

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I'm looking forward to this game but I'm so worried that it'll turn out like the dumpster fire Andromeda was. The game play does look nice, even if some of it is kind of bullet spongey. Cautiously optimistic it is.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

In higher stuff it's likely all gonna be about ability combos to do hella damage, just like harder stuff in the ME games

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

The guys at bsnboards compiled a list of every single bit of information that has been confirmed for Anthem. I moved it to the 2nd post of the OP so you can keep track if you want to. I'll post this once here for those who haven't seen all the new confirmed info.

quote:

No sex or nudity in Anthem.

That's not the Bioware I know. Preorder loving cancelled. :colbert:

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

A couple new pieces of info and since it has to do with loot, it has caught my attention.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So 4 active slots and... "other" passive slots.

What do you folks think? Does that sound like enough?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like it’s slim but I gotta see what these passives mean. I compare anything to Destiny and they got 3 gun slots and 4 armor slots. So 7 slots.

But yeah, when I heard 4 slots I did get nervous. I’m staying optimistic though to believe there’s more to it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Don't forget the Romance slot too.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't forget the Romance slot too.

Pounded in the Butt by My Own Javelin

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Anthem may not support PC text chat.

See you all in discord forever.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/24/anthem-no-text-chat-on-pc/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Console master race unaffected :getin:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh yeah 30 fps with a pinhole fov is really the master race, i'll take 'spending two seconds tabbing to discord' for 1000 alex

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

This thread is depressing enough. Please keep the platform wars out of it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

“We didn’t consider the ramifications of marketing our single player game with co-op as a ‘persistent online world MMO-lite’ to justify the forced online requirement and it turns out some necessary, expected, industry standard features of online games are haaaarrddd why do we have to do stuff can’t people just give us money? The whole reason we made the game like this was to save money because of dirty pirates because everybody knows that 1 illegally downloaded copy of a single player game equals 10,000+ lost sales that definitely would have happened, and you can’t do that with online games. But now you’re telling us that online social games have an expected feature set and that we have to spend money to add that stuff???”

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 25, 2018

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I love how the only thing you have to do to get around that accessibility in games act is to just not implement communication at all.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Guess PC players will have to create a lauange out of bunnyhopping, tea bagging, and spinning in circles.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Super sperg post incoming.

Another guy takes a stab with extreme calculation and his abacus to get the map size of Anthem down.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/937u7v/how_anthems_map_size_stacks_up_to_other_games/?st=JK8YKTPF&sh=00b46c5c

TLDR: The size of Fallout 4 and The Division map size.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

That’s bizarre. I worked with EA on SimCity, there’s a massive amount of utility code forcibly shared between studios and projects. Why would they leave it to Bioware to put together something like this? Are no EA games compliant at all?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Isn't anthem made in frostbite, AKA the battlefield engine, which has always had text chat :nallears:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Reminder that Mass Effect 3 multiplayer had text chat in the public beta/demo, but they took it out for release

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Gasoline posted:

Reminder that Mass Effect 3 multiplayer had text chat in the public beta/demo, but they took it out for release

No poo poo? I had no idea about that. That’s wild.

I at least want clan chat. At the very least.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gasoline posted:

Not only that, but you could also never bind a key to the button that was originally meant for text chat (T or whatever).

Andromeda had no text chat either.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Welp, been a bit since any news. At Gamescom Jon Warner is doing an AMA on Thursday at noon CT.

https://t.co/p0pzwUl7h7

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

It’s the little things that count...

In game chat has been confirmed.

The direct wording from Jon Warner is:

“We support in game chat when you are in a squad or reinforcing other freelancers.”

Here’s everything from today:

Key Take-aways and New Info

1. Confirmation around the world being primarily jungle. Whilst we knew this from visual observations thus far, the environments that we could expect from Anthem had not been confirmed. From Jon’s comment, it is clear that the snippets of gameplay that we have seen to this point – are representative of the game’s overall environment.

2. Spawning protocol was discussed. in terms of “where one spawns in proximity to teammates”. Whilst expected, it is a nice confirmation to have. Players will spawn “near-by” existing team members at which point you will be able to fly your Javelin over to join them.

3. In-game chat function confirmed for both in-game and when “reinforcing” your team. Presumably this term of Jon’s is alluding to voice enablement when “joining/loading-in/yet to be in-game” of your team…

4. Confirmation that details for the demo are COMING SOON! SOONTM

5. Guilds appear set to show progress/stats. Which again, is something that we probably expected, but reassuring that Guilds will have data & trackable info for we analytical peeps.

6. Characters are labelled via “Call-Signs”. Jon made reference to the term “Call-Signs”. The term has been used previously, but it is clear that this is the nomenclature being used for in-game names. Curious: are Call-Signs in addition to gamertags from your Platform of choice? Or are they actually just Gamertags?

7. Moderate destruction occurs in-game, but is limited. With the Frostbite engine in tow, it will be exciting to see what elements of destruction we will bear witness to in-game. With Jon’s answer to this, we suspect that we are looking at mild destruction based on in-game enemy equipment, installations et. al. but not much physical environment destruction. We can perhaps hope then for some environmental effects, even if scenario-based….

8. Never say never to future VR Support 😉 Ohhhhhh Yeah!

Tweets of Most Interest/New Information

[Translated German Tweet]: Can we still get a video about the last two javelins? – Platinum_keks
Jon: “Most Likely”

Are there different factions or groups we can pledge allegiance to for special rewards? – Rick8rooke
Jon: Not in the way you’re thinking, no.

Fast Travel to teammates? Teammates Icons on radar/small map? – SamerYounes10
Jon: We place you close to teammates when you join, and then you can fly to them!

With Their Be In-Game Chat? Via both Groups Chat and Solo Free Play Voice Chat With Random Players? – D.A.I.K.I
Jon: We support in game chat when you are in a squad or reinforcing other Freelancers

Will there be an Anthem Demo?
Jon: The good news is, Demo details coming VERY SOON!

Will guilds be relevant, impactful we will be able to show our guild prowess and have a bit of progression? – Alem_Ant
Jon: You are correct. It’s still a little too soon to answer this one. 🙂

How will loot drops be handled? are they an item that once you pick up you can equip or something that must be “unlocked” in another area first? Will there be player-to-player trading? an auction house? – TheMontablac
Jon: You’ll be able to equip new gear at Ft. Tarsis or your Strider. No player trading. No Auction House.

How much sooner will you get the game if you have EA Access on Xbox – Westsidekillerr
Jon: Feb. 15th, 2019

Is it possible to name your character? – WilliamDoratty
Jon: Yes. You can set your callsign. 🙂

Will there be more biomes other than jungle and water? – NickfinFinn
Jon: It is mostly set in the jungle with a few surprises to come!

To what degree will the environment be destructable. F.e. can you destroy trees to force enemies out of cover? – ArchonN7
Jon: There is some destruction in the game, but it’s not large scale.

Will it ever get #VR support post-launch? – hardcorevr
Jon: It’s possible #NeverSayNever

Is it possible to double up on gear I.e a ranger with 2 grenades equiped or maybe a badass colossus with like two mortars?
Jon: No. Each gear slot is for a different type

Known Info, but still of interest….

[Translated German Tweet]: How will the leveling and system of stats work? Will there be weapons drops that adjust to the level of your opponents or to the level of your character? That means z.b. the enemy is level 24 and drops a level 24 weapon. Or stop on your lvl.”
Jon: The level of dropped items depends on the level of your character. – Jon

[Translated German Tweet]: Will it be open world or indexed a la destiny? And since you’ve praised Destiny’s guys so much, will Anthem have enough initial content or, as with Destiny, you’ll need dozens of DLC’s to get a finished game?
Jon: Anthem is an open world game. You will get a ready-made game right from the start, which we will constantly supply with new content.

What happens to experience once you max level your freelancer’s? Will there be an additional system to encourage the grind?
Jon: Yes!

Is there an expansion schedule planned to allow for consistent updates? – pap3rchampion
Jon: We haven’t published anything on this yet.

Will the end game raid or lair allow for more then 4 freelancers to participate? – GFLaserBolt
Jon: 4 Freelancers to a squad!

During the game will we always be in the javelins or will we be allowed out of the suits? – soniczoom2749
Jon: You won’t be in the Javelin while in Ft. Tarsis or the Strider. While adventuring, the world of Anthem is far too dangerous.

I would like to ask about the loot system. Are the rewards just unlocking perks or can we find hard to get weapons or armor? – dafoota
Jon: You’ll find weapons AND gear in the loot drops.

So the colosuss has the shield what do the other javelins have in that slot and are their other abilities for that slot – BjRaiden44
Jon: The shield isn’t a gear slot; it’s a damage mitigation ability. The Ranger has a dash. You may have seen the Storm’s teleportation in our gameplay demo… more on the Interceptor later. 😉

Will there be a fixed schedule for major in game events or will they just pop up at random? – MeoCorn
Jon: Both. More information on live updates later on.

What happens to experience once you max level your freelancer’s? Will there be an additional system to encourage the grind? – Frayus_KC
Jon: Yes!

Will this game be a game that i could invest my time long term like destiny 2, the division? most importantly will it be grindy and challenging so not everyone is handed out everything so the loot has actual meaning? casual friendly= not good for the game – ThunderStruck4K
Jon: Yes! We think you’ll enjoy the long term challenge

Can you play in first person at all? – StevenNoble
Jon: You are in first person when you are out of the Javelins but always 3rd person otherwise

“What are some of things you are planning to do to keep players returning to Anthem after launch? – KackisHD
Jon: We have exciting plans for our Post Launch, and we’ll be talking about that later in the campaign.

Also, don’t forget about to join Jon for the GamesRadar After Dark Feature an opportunity for Anthem fans to engross themselves in Anthem goodness…well at least until early September when we see the Panel Bioware has confirmed for Pax West. The Interview is at 7pm-7:25pm CEST on Thursday 23rd August
7PM (CEST), 10AM (Pacific), 11AM (Mountain), 12PM (Central) , 1PM (Eastern), 3AM (AEST) (Fri)

To watch the interview stream with our community and the latest on Anthem, jump into our Discord to watch it in the Anthem Universe Theatre! and keep it locked to Anthem Universe

ICR fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 22, 2018

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, was really hoping there would be a good variety of environments to run around in... if it's gonna be all jungle, all the time, 24/7 that's kinda :flaccid:

In games like Warframe, having a diff. types of maps, enemies, missions, etc. is really helpful in making the grind feel not so grindy. At least we can chat with other goons now :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Big day ahead (I hope).

Anthem will be at PAX and we should get some info today for their stream at 3:30PM CT.

https://mobile.twitter.com/anthemgame/status/1034940044971110400