Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pattonesque posted:

I remember Jade Empire being insanely hard which is a twist for a BioWare game

like even some of the tutorial characters would gently caress you up
Jade Empire's tutorial section is one of the hardest parts of the game because your character barely has any health, chi or focus to work with, your styles are all lovely and weak, and the enemies are relentless. It gets a lot easier once you gain a few levels and find some decent gems, and most of the game is pretty easy until you hit the endgame fights. You can cheese some of those with the Jade Golem transformation style because you'll be immune to most things, but enemies with weapons can still gently caress you up and the golem is too slow to avoid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Thank GOD they’re all still bipeds who speak English!
After cutting everything else down to manageable "humans with funny heads" for Andromeda they still didn't have the time or resources to make more than two faces for their race of blue space ladies. Which would be understandable if they were just an unimportant race in some corner of the galaxy you never see, but they were THE political power in the old games and arrived with an ark full of identical looking clones in Andromeda :laffo:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

orcane posted:

After cutting everything else down to manageable "humans with funny heads" for Andromeda they still didn't have the time or resources to make more than two faces for their race of blue space ladies. Which would be understandable if they were just an unimportant race in some corner of the galaxy you never see, but they were THE political power in the old games and arrived with an ark full of identical looking clones in Andromeda :laffo:

In Mass Effect 2, Matriarch Aethyta's face changes to appear younger and more attractive the drunker you get

this one asari in Mass Effect 2 has more faces than every asari combined in Andromeda

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Funny enough WotC seems to be filling a dev studio in Austin with people who worked on various Bioware games before, including Drew Karpyshyn. His writing wasn't stellar but at least he didn't write Kai Leng pissing in some cereal bowl :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember when Bioware used to have more than one body type in their games. There were actual fat people in Dragon Age Origins.

Then everyone got the same NPC model in later games unless you were an original character do not steal.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Andromeda woulda been fine in a vacuum but it was an awful Mass Effect video game

It would’ve been a perfectly sub-par overambitious open-world RPG that everyone immediately forgets about like Greedfall

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I remember when Bioware used to have more than one body type in their games. There were actual fat people in Dragon Age Origins.

Then everyone got the same NPC model in later games unless you were an original character do not steal.

I'm pretty sure the :effort: of making a new bodytype is literally the only restriction that kept them from having female Turians/Salarians/Volus/Elcor/Drell/Batarians.

Also I'm pretty sure that all Turians have the same face but with different tattoos except for Saren and later Garrus.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure the :effort: of making a new bodytype is literally the only restriction that kept them from having female Turians/Salarians/Volus/Elcor/Drell/Batarians.

Also I'm pretty sure that all Turians have the same face but with different tattoos except for Saren and later Garrus.

Turians and Salarians had different faces in ME IIRC

Salarians for certain

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The C-Sec captain in ME1 definitely had a different face than nihilus or the door guard on Noveria.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I only remember them having different scars.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

They probably kept running into severe memory limits as time went on, the Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't have that much RAM. I remember that was cited as the reason why there was no holstering animation in ME3 anymore (you simply couldn't draw your weapon in talky areas and couldn't holster it in combat zones).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
every time a new bioware game comes out, and it's bad, there's always someone who's like "you know their last game wasn't actually as bad as everyone said it was..."

every loving time

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if they studio doesn't get shuttered over the next few years maybe they can just keep rolling in a sort of sonic the hedgehog franchise kind of way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fellatio del Toro posted:

i liked the Season of the Grifter

Alright alright alright let's see what we got:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

every time a new bioware game comes out, and it's bad, there's always someone who's like "you know their last game wasn't actually as bad as everyone said it was..."

every loving time
Dragon Age 2 was actually good and was the best game in the series :classiclol:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

every loving time

Which one will make Anthem not actually as bad as everyone said it was?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Which one will make Anthem not actually as bad as everyone said it was?

Dragon Age 4

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Even if you remove the mass effect name, ME:A was a mediocre game that never really worked right, was filled with busywork, and was a hopelessly shallow experience. I admit it scratched an itch and I played it way more than I should have, but by no means do I look back upon it fondly. Everything it did, other games - even from earlier generations - do better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andromeda hosed the multiplayer up and that was what was truly unforgivable.

Though it wasn't as lovely as when they tried it in Dragon Age.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

orcane posted:

Funny enough WotC seems to be filling a dev studio in Austin with people who worked on various Bioware games before, including Drew Karpyshyn. His writing wasn't stellar but at least he didn't write Kai Leng pissing in some cereal bowl :v:
Who did write Kai Leng? I went looking for that info and was unable to find it. I will stand by the statement that no matter how dumb/bad things in Andromeda and Anthem are they are still better than loving Kai Leng.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

RBA Starblade posted:

Andromeda hosed the multiplayer up and that was what was truly unforgivable.

Its was quite impressive when they took the one good thing about Krogans and completely removed it, breaking an entire skill tree in the process.

Or that jetpacks made the game objectively worse in every single way.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

orcane posted:

Dragon Age 2 was actually good and was the best game in the series :classiclol:

Hello I came here to say that Bioware should be spending their money fixing Dragon Age 2 instead of Anthem.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Moola posted:

Andromeda was terrible actually

:emptyquote:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Andromeda multiplayer was fine except for being an awful laggy mess, which in itself is impressive cause it was just 4 players lol

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

From what I understand it was bad because it was just an objectively worse version of the multiplayer from the previous game, which they expected you to pay them again for and also it ran like total poo poo.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

precision posted:

Andromeda multiplayer was fine except for being an awful laggy mess, which in itself is impressive cause it was just 4 players lol

You must love Anthem if you think Andromeda MP was good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nephthys posted:

From what I understand it was bad because it was just an objectively worse version of the multiplayer from the previous game, which they expected you to pay them again for and also it ran like total poo poo.

It’s this.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

precision posted:

Is this a budk knife review?

Knife broke and was not sharp but I fixed it with duct tape also does not look like what is in the picture. Great knife 4/5

Multiplayer is fine but it fails to function. 5/7

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tetrabor posted:

You must love Anthem if you think Andromeda MP was good.

I just mean that the classes and guns were good. :shrug:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
a mate and I still go back and play ME3 multiplayer.

About 2 years ago i hacked the currency to give me 2 billion credits on a single game so I bought all the packs/weapons and had a blast.

Andromeda's multiplayer thread specified it removed claymore from the game so I never touched it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

precision posted:

they were all less fun than everything ME3 MP did

Tetrabor posted:

Its was quite impressive when they took the one good thing about Krogans and completely removed it, breaking an entire skill tree in the process.

Or that jetpacks made the game objectively worse in every single way.

Bioware needs to stay away from jetpacks forever

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Andromeda multiplayer was bad when they hosed up the krogan melee. It went from meaty to a fart.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Andromeda multiplayer was bad when they hosed up the krogan melee. It went from meaty to a fart.

just a disgusting decision and a complete misunderstanding of what the playerbase wanted

half the appeal of ME3's multiplayer was "oh sweet I get to play as a krogan and headbutt everything into paste"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Horsebanger posted:

a mate and I still go back and play ME3 multiplayer.

About 2 years ago i hacked the currency to give me 2 billion credits on a single game so I bought all the packs/weapons and had a blast.

Andromeda's multiplayer thread specified it removed claymore from the game so I never touched it.

I love that a certain point EA did not rehire the guy who was in charge of stopping that (he even admitted as such ) and it was open season on hacking in credits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SubponticatePoster posted:

Who did write Kai Leng? I went looking for that info and was unable to find it. I will stand by the statement that no matter how dumb/bad things in Andromeda and Anthem are they are still better than loving Kai Leng.

I think it was Mac Walters.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
ME3 MP was so drat fun and addictive. I'm sure I've spent more hours playing that than any other vidya game. I'd love for it to be included in the rumoured ME remaster but I don't think it's likely they'd revive the MP game with it.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

precision posted:

Which would you prefer to play?
ME3MP Krogan Heavy Melee:
Locks onto target, sprints from 15 feet away, one shots most non-elites on Gold when fully upgraded. Satisfyingly sends mobs into orbit with the meanest backhand ever.

MEAMP Krogan Melee:
Locks player in place, headbutt does not lock on, deals damage like a pool noodle that takes 2+ hits to kill a basic mob.

I played MEA's for 30-40ish hours before realizing there was not one redeeming factor to it when compared to ME3MP. Except for the one dynamic arena where you had to escape, that was kind of cool, but that's it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ME3 MP is pure power fantasy and I love it still to this day

So many character classes are just complety off the wall and not something you'd expect them to ever make playable.
Like a loving volus biotic god, or a loving huge Geth that is too big to take cover but has tons of health to compensate; krogan with a massive loving hammer just slamming away at everything

MEA MP was so loving garbage by comparison

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tetrabor posted:

Which would you prefer to play?
ME3MP Krogan Heavy Melee:
Locks onto target, sprints from 15 feet away, one shots most non-elites on Gold when fully upgraded. Satisfyingly sends mobs into orbit with the meanest backhand ever.

MEAMP Krogan Melee:
Locks player in place, headbutt does not lock on, deals damage like a pool noodle that takes 2+ hits to kill a basic mob.

I played MEA's for 30-40ish hours before realizing there was not one redeeming factor to it when compared to ME3MP. Except for the one dynamic arena where you had to escape, that was kind of cool, but that's it.

I can’t remember as I only rented it the once but didn’t they remove the Krogan shouts as well? Nothing more satisfying than backhanding people into orbit and hearing your Krogan just love being a Krogan. I also loved the piss out of playing the Geth and that one scavenger race with the flamethrower. Gods ME3 multi was so good. It had flaws (see synch kills from halfway across the screen and the frelling Collectors) but so much fun.
Also as cringey as the romances were at least they included a “non romance” in ME2 where my femshep just stared longingly at a picture of the Normandy. Also Bro Patrol team of Shepard, Garrus and Wrex in ME1 4 Eva. Only romance my Sheps needed was the love of punching fools in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Bromancing Garrus in 2 was the best

But also ballroom dancing with Garrus in 3 was good

Garrus was really good