Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Anthem more like Requiem because Bioware is dead!!!

Followed up by Dragon Age: Ossuary so what remains of the studio can finally be laid to rest alongside the bones of Bullfrog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

Oh poo poo, it's the good kind of difficulty increase and not just "more bodies/numbers go up" :woop:

Finally. Someone has implemented the difficulty increase from 1997's Blood.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zakmonster posted:

As it is, nothing in this game right now is unfixable

Pretty much.

I refused to touch Destiny 2 until a year passed and it became good. Same plan for Anthem. I'll check back in a year once sufficient quality of life and content has been patched in and consider buying at that point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
An observation: If I was playing a video game and really enjoying it I wouldn't be defending it on any particular internet forum because I'd be busy playing the game.

How much are these vocal defenders of Bioware's e-honor actually enjoying their product?

It's cool people who enjoy Anthem, you do you. Your money and all that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Peechka posted:

LOL people said the same poo poo about SWTOR and they ended up making $250 mil per year in its glory days. This poo poo is far from done. BTW most reviews gave awesome reviews to Destiny 2 when it first came out, and that game was a turd for an entire year.

People keep bringing up warframe here, and sure, its free, but that game was a turd for 4 loving years before it became something.

this game is nto going anywhere, at worst there will be Anthem 2 the Reprisal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2af4gcS-b9Y

Guess we'll see what happens when there isn't a SW license to prop up the customer base.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anthem 76.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

BioWare shidded and farded and the fanboys cammed their pants

The diehard fans that remain are obsessed over the next Dragon Age waifu/hudbando simulator and are desperate for Bioware to succeed to make that happen.

Anthem might be a good game in a year or two. If they rework stuff extensively and oh wait they didn't do any of that with Andromeda except cancel all the future content.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Calihan posted:

From what I've seen, those types are actually riding the hate boner as much as anyone. An awful lot of people are legitimately mad at the game being something that isn't a Mass Effect or Dragon Age title.

Interesting, haven't kept up on the fans for those games.

Mass Effect is well and truly dead as a franchise after the last effort. The market has spoken. Any talk to the contrary is for the benefit of investors.

Dragon Age I could see as they haven't killed that one off yet. Mind you since EA has killed off or cancelled every single player game in their lineup I imagine the fans are getting a bit stressed over that one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

teh_Broseph posted:

If a video game script bothers you that much does that mean there are video game scripts you really get in to like they're real literature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1qKzIsisU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Hm i think this thread might be the worst thread

No wonder all the players went to the Anthem discord instead

Hi Mr Alex Trebek, long time viewer and it's great to be here tonight. I'll take "walled gardens" for a hundred dollars thanks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what makes me sad is this game had five years of development. i am sure we will learn it spent most of that in 'OH GOD WHAT DO WE DO' mode but holy poo poo. from the beta and from what i heard, the core stuff could have been fun/great but everything else is either crap or janky. that being said if they keep patching and remaking stuff, it could end up a good/fun game, but who knows if EA won't just pull the plug.

Yeah it wouldn't be surprising to learn there was meant to be a strong procedural element to the over world like how ME:A was supposed to generate planets on the fly. Would explain the singular biome.

Then of course the money runs dry and out the door it goes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Is this someone photoshopping Fallout 76? :eyepop:

I hope there is enough room next to the ET cartridges.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pigbottom posted:

Anthem: The journalists are to blame.

People didn't like a bad game therefore the failure is their fault.

It's definitely not the fault of Principal Skinners. No way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Top tier review.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What the gently caress has Bioware been doing? Serious question.

*sounds of toilet flushing*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Mass Effect Andromeda: Airplane crashed into runway, fire crews stood back letting it burn out.

Anthem 76: Ship capsized in calm coastal waters, Captain nowhere to be seen.

Dragon Age 4: Currently a creaking Soviet-era rocket launch pad with signs of rust.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I need a proton glorb for my etheric beam conductor from discourse in my hover fishing platform with the central mind bank of the free inverse track.

You'll need to shout it dramatically with this playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjcu1QdapLI

I could write for video games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Did you get glorb? yes, no, maybe lol!"

It's RNG. :10bux: in the totally optional premium player gaming experience store gets you a +5% to the roll for 7 days.

The unmodified roll is 0.02% We'll hide those numbers from the punters though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know I've given this some thought. Everyone is comparing Anthem to Destiny 1/2, Borderlands 2 and Warframe. All of those people are very wrong.

Anthem is actually a modern version of Defiance the MMO by (now defunct) Trion Worlds.

Think about it. You have a single large overland map with very little variety. 4 classes none of which really change the player experience or matter. A bunch of RNG drop rolled guns that re-use the same small pool of assets & textures. A promotional TV show that lasted 2 seasons (way more than a single Neil Blomkamp short film tie-in).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I said that once before and goons went the gently caress off going "COME ON IT'S NOT THAT BAD"

is it

Whole lot of parallels and it's a crowded market. You know the money lost on Defiance eventually killed Trion when some years later investors pulled out and they couldn't service their debt payments.

Gamigo owns all their stuff now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

the entire thing is like $30 usd right now

So about the price of two skins in Anthem. It is two right? It better not be one and a half.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah $15 seems a reasonable price for the content on offer in this product. I mean to buy, not a one month recurring sub.

Hah just remembered a bit I missed. Defiance launched with 5 dungeons compared to the 3 in Anthem.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

It seems as if you freeze one of the big scar guys as a storm just as the next phase in the Tyrant Mine is about to start, the big bug rush never happens. You just wait until the countdown finishes with no bugs in sight

:cripes: They can't even do basic mission scripting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow this game is amazing, better than every competitor on the market. The player base loves it and you should absolutely invest multiple millions of dollars in the future of Bioware & EA.

Whoops how did this get here https://www.ea.com/game-changers

*knocking starts on the boardroom door*

In fact we're extremely confident in our financial future and revenue streams in the face of anti-loot box legislation and a slew of cancelled projects.

*knocking on boardroom door intensifies, muffled shouting*

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 24, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

teh_Broseph posted:

Oh yeah it was the Battlefront 2 thread I'm remembering you from where couple clicks looks like you were the 6th top poster of the whole thread with the same posts calling people EA shills and dropping hot slam dunk takes. Were you on a studio that EA bought and shuttered?

Hell yeah that was a good thread. Great loot gamble box talk until we were politely asked to make a new thread and so we did.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841413&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Need archives I guess.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like ragging on EA, zombie Bioware and the partially completed games they release. I'll continue to do so. That doesn't stop me really liking the short film Neil Blomkamp made for this particular product, it's a highly motivational and inspirational piece of cinematic art.

Hopefully this product does a Destiny 2 and fully turns around in 12 months. I won't touch it now but I'm willing to reconsider spending dollarydoos down the line.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerstein posted:

I don't understand game design. Anthem has the same loot issues I have seen in the early versions of Diablo 3, The Division, Destiny 2.....it's as if game designers never learn from the mistakes other studios made, even when said mistakes are well documented.

It's as if a team of automotive engineers designed a new car: and then they release it and it only has 3 wheels, no doors and the engine catches on fire. "Well guys, maybe we should have taken a cue from all the existing planes?".

I think we should put the engine in the season pass and sell randomly colored doors in the cash shop.

Players without a season pass are welcome to grind out a working car engine by completing driving missions using only Flintstones pedals and doors are pretty optional so they should be okay with paying extra for those.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Siljmonster posted:

Stop calling Anthem an MMO it is a paid free to play shovelware game

AAA priced freemium gaming experience.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, this feels a lot like a game that way over-scoped and then was forced to make cuts like mad once the finish line loomed. What's crazy is that's the exact same thing that tanked ME:A. Granted, by the time that came out it was already far too late for Anthem to learn its lessons, but it's still weird that Bioware's had two games in a row like this.

Been fiddling with the free trial, and after a few hours in the #1 thing is how the gently caress does a game made in 2018 have so. many. loving. loading. screens. Man Frostbite is shite (for games that aren't DICE FPSs).

The best part is that Andromeda was the "B-Team" and Anthem was the "A-Team". Turns out there was no functional difference.

I'm sure given a shitload of time and leniency from above it could be fixed but this is EA we're talking about. I'm quite happy to be proven wrong but history is a teacher we must all listen to.

Oh don't mind me. That's just a single tear for Bullfrog in memory of Magic Carpet, Syndicate Wars and Populous.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean, EA gonna EA, but with ME:A BW Montreal wasted literal years of development time chasing the proc-gen dragon. I dunno if a similar problem occurred here, but it sure feels that way and if it did then it almost sounds like Bioware almost had too much freedom. I'm all for taking risks, but tanking multiple Triple-A products by trying to shoot the moon is not a good look.

It speaks of a management issue. Maybe the same manager or clique given the (from an outsider perceptive) similarities.

Whether that's a resolvable issue is a question for the philosophers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting observation by Angry Joe regarding armor customization pieces missing from the release version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3USYN8kHkG0&t=798s

It's EA so expect to pay for them when/if implemented.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You've got it all wrong. Those scummy things happened after launch. :v:

That specific YongYea video helped cement me staying the hell away from Destiny 2 until they gave away free copies during Forsaken and I started playing after a year of content was added.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A corn cob? Corn... cob. Corncob 3D...

*swirly transition plays*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsbJMyt_5M

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe once anthem gets two frustratingly bad expansions and then have Haluk get killed off maybe it can be as good as destiny 2

I hope so. While I'm happy to sling mud at this product I'm also happy to buy in when there is a (much) better perceived value.

Obviously we're talking at least a year lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

limaCAT posted:

Oh wow.
That makes the things just worse for Bungie :v:

You dodged a bullet, good for you.

Between YongYea, Worth A Buy and Layman Gaming I've become loving Neo from the Matrix with dodging lovely game releases.

This version of the Matrix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxlxqMmCKMg

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

was this before or after you told people that buying in to shroud of the avatar was a good deal for $250

I thought an obsessive like yourself would remember 2013 was a while back but I'm happy you keep a spreadsheet for such matters.

Wheeee posted:

Anthem is a beat to poo poo rental car, it's pretty bland and has a lot of problems, but it's fun to bash around in for a while, and you'll quickly forget it after you're done with it

You rented a Lambo but picked up a Datsun.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 27, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anthem is doing great. Dragon Age 4 will be great.

Everythingisfine.jpg

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceGoku posted:

the only reason a developer for a co-op only game bans people for "exploiting the economy" is if they plan on monetizing whatever was circumvented by the "exploit", or if they have a fragile ego and are petty and vindictive

and from what I've heard about the dysfunction at the management level at bioware these days, I'd say it's a coin flip between the two

Can't it be both?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
EA's plan for Anthem revealed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMNJFpVxg4Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tei posted:

I am not game designer, but I find the map of Anthem a interesting case study. Is relativelly varied, natural, interesting looking, pretty, lush with vegetation and even some unique models but is boring and uninspired like a corridor in a hospital. I played a lot of Minecraft at alpha, and I remember hills, valleys,... Anthem make a good argument that a good procedural generation can be better than something a competent artist has made. And is driving me crazy the why. I want to know what is making this, where exactly lies the “soul” of a game map, and why/how Anthem map dont have it. I must understand this.

Designed by committee.