Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I saw a lot of goons talking about E3, and oh boy does that take me back.

I got into video games heavy as a kid - first with Pokemon and later through the 90s/2000s mostly as a Playstation kid. (Family wasn't $$$ enough for multiple consoles, though I did eventually get a Gamecube for Animal Crossing)

Anyways, around the end of college / beginning of grad school I just... fell out of it. I boxed up the Wii during a move and ended up not even setting up my TV at the new place. Part of it was lack of free time but I dunno, it's just like I fell out of it?

(For me, I got really into movies and tended to spend my free time on :filez:)

I'm thinking of picking up an Xbox and a copy of Call of Duty or maybe a 720DS or whatever the kids are using these days to play Pokemon Obsidian.

Anyways I'm curious - did any other heavy gamers stop when they turned into adults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

no

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah p much. I tried to get into indi games but really miss a polished production. All the new releases are p lame and I’m not gonna get a whole console for like 2 cool games.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
I keep getting games, playing them for a bit and losing interest with no intention of ever finishing them. Either games are getting a lot shittier or I am losing interest in games. There are still probably one or two a year that will be worth playing and I'll just be selective and spend my ever-dwindling video game time on them.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
My need to escape reality intensified once I realized my degree was worthless in light of the crushing amount of student debt I had amassed.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes I'll buy a new game that sounds interesting, play it for a couple of hours, and then never touch it again

I kind of miss it, but videogames have passed me by

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

No but I’m not normal

Never wanted kids, so I always had extra money and time for games 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s not a big deal, play if you want or get into movies, as long as you’re doing what you want

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
No. I got carpal tunnel around black ops 2, but that just means I have to change my play style to accommodate my disability. I camp out and snipe, if I use sprint my hands begin to experience crippling pain. I’m hoping to get on disability full time at some point so I can fully dedicate myself to my fps gaming career

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

No but I’m not normal

Never wanted kids, so I always had extra money and time for games 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s not a big deal, play if you want or get into movies, as long as you’re doing what you want

I've also been moving around a lot. Now that I am in one place I was thinking of getting a Blu Ray player + nice TV, and realized that it might make sense to get an Xbox since it'll do double duty - can play those + do streaming.

Kuato posted:

No. I got carpal tunnel around black ops 2, but that just means I have to change my play style to accommodate my disability. I camp out and snipe, if I use sprint my hands begin to experience crippling pain. I’m hoping to get on disability full time at some point so I can fully dedicate myself to my fps gaming career

my roomie in college had an xbox and I played CoD ocassionally but I never had consistent access so I never got good. I used to love screwing with people - spending entire matches trying to get knife kills, hiding out and sniping etc.

I grew up in the multitap era so being able to actually camp and not get spotted was new and cool.

Only most people had the maps memorized so I'd just get knifed a lot :(

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Idk maybe I’m from a different era but it seems like chasing pussy and video games time have an inverse relationship. I think more and more women are having to fish men out of their fps trance by doing the whole “hey I’m a gamer girl that’s so unique who wants to put it in my butt” routine in order to literally save the worlds population. Energy drink, protein snacks, video games, trance, pretty soon an octopus sucker will attach itself to these fuckers brainstems and start sucking their lifeforce to make more energy drink.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
My cousin moved in with me recently and he's like 20 and a big gamer so he was all excited about the stuff they announced and told me all about it. I feigned interest to be polite but I kinda wanted to tell him "You know I don't have long to live, right? I don't really give a gently caress about next year's hot new games."

Though it's not like I don't play video games still I just have many many other things to worry about. So, no, the amount I play has shifted as I have more or less responsibilities but they've never stopped being fun and I've never stopped playing them. No, I take that back, in the deepest darkest parts of my addiction I did not play them becuase I was too busy hustling 24/7.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
also imho a lot of modern games are very intense. stuff like wow, huge commitment both in terms of hours per week and just learning the game.

something like pokemon or metal gear solid, you could set aside a block of time and have fun. sure you might want to play longer but it wasn't required.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"heavy gamers" lol

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I played WoW for a while and got off of consoles, and when I stopped playing that I didn't really do anything. If I ever got the itch to play something I'd play a browser game, or I think angry birds was a thing by then so I could just play a dumb thing for 2 minutes.

I got a Switch for my birthday this year and I'm looking forward to playing the new Zelda game when I get some free time, but otherwise I have other poo poo to do.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Nah, my wife and I still game together. We just do it for an hour a day instead of the six we used to do in highschool.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got real into VR the last couple years, have fun in meatspace suckers

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped outright for years in my early twenties and now that i have kids we play videogames

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I did. I honestly remember the day I quit, too. I had a sudden bit of insight that gaming wasn't a good path for me, I put the controller down, and sold it all off.

Haven't missed it.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Caganer posted:

also imho a lot of modern games are very intense. stuff like wow, huge commitment both in terms of hours per week and just learning the game.

something like pokemon or metal gear solid, you could set aside a block of time and have fun. sure you might want to play longer but it wasn't required.
what the gently caress are you talking about "hours per week commitment"? Nobody forces you to play videogames, it's not a job.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
if anything i play more video games now- after washing the john romero smell off her i married gamer babe stevie case.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thots and Prayers posted:

I did. I honestly remember the day I quit, too. I had a sudden bit of insight that gaming wasn't a good path for me, I put the controller down, and sold it all off.

Haven't missed it.

Holy gently caress it's video games not heroin

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

I keep getting games, playing them for a bit and losing interest with no intention of ever finishing them. Either games are getting a lot shittier or I am losing interest in games. There are still probably one or two a year that will be worth playing and I'll just be selective and spend my ever-dwindling video game time on them.

Same

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
I started playing games after college after not really playing at all during college. Then I got married and started playing a lot less, soon I'll have kids and not be able to play at all!!!!!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

BONE DOG posted:

Holy gently caress it's video games not heroin

Heroin is less expensive?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was 17 hanging out in my friends garage and there were a bunch of people playing Rock Band. And all of the sudden it hit me: a bunch of people standing around with plastic instruments playing pretend. It was pathetic. I stepped outside to smoke a stogie and drove with my girlfriend to make-out point where we had the sexy time. I came back a few hours later and everyone was still there scaring at the flashing lights and noise on TV. The only indication that anything had changed at all were the empty pizza boxes strewn around. It was really sad. Since that day I haven't gamed at all (except playing Freecell when I get bored at work).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I went through that phase for a bit, then I got back into video games. For me it was about finding specific interests that work within your life’s constraints.

For instance, I couldn’t play grand strategy games anymore. It was just impossible to balance Europa Universalis with a career and a family. But I did get into all the little indie PC games cropping up. I love Rimworld, Prison Architect and games like that. Strategy that you can pick up and drop and doesn’t take a billion years to “complete.”

Plus, a single AA game is about five of these games in price, at least. They’re affordable.

I’m still bummed out about other games that I lost interest in, though. I can’t play Phoenix Wright anymore. I loved them back in the day but the new games don’t do anything for me. It’s weird because I don’t think the games themselves have changed very much.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No but I just kinda stopped two years or so ago. Since then I beat the new Doom because it's legit good and that's it. Maybe two sessions of a multi player game with ITL friends. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Except for the new Zelda's I haven't played any since N64 and I need some Zelda time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Instead of gaming I ride bikes a shitload and now go fishing and stuff. I'm way healthier. Like had to replace wardrobes multiple times as I shrunk healthier.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
I liked being able to “finish” a game properly over a weekend but they don’t make games like that anymore. Now it’s like you have to invest 200+ hours in a game or you don’t feel like you really completed it.
I mean yeah, you get tons more gameplay per dollar spent, but for someone like me with limited time and if I’m playing a game, I need to FINISH it and I never do because there’s 5000 collectables you need to find or some stupid poo poo like that.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Still play, but since I'm a responsible adult, it's nowhere near as much as I used to.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I was 17 hanging out in my friends garage and there were a bunch of people playing Rock Band. And all of the sudden it hit me: a bunch of people standing around with plastic instruments playing pretend. It was pathetic. I stepped outside to smoke a stogie and drove with my girlfriend to make-out point where we had the sexy time. I came back a few hours later and everyone was still there scaring at the flashing lights and noise on TV. The only indication that anything had changed at all were the empty pizza boxes strewn around. It was really sad. Since that day I haven't gamed at all (except playing Freecell when I get bored at work).

Bullshit, no one understands or plays Freecell

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I stopped in college during my freshman year. I was putting in a lot of hours playing counterstrike, which had continued from highschool. For some reason, one day I realized I could be out doing actual things and meeting people instead of transforming into a super goon alone in my dorm room.

I've dabbled a little since then but it always feels like a waste of time. I have never once thought, "I wish I hadn't missed all that time gaming."

edit: I continued to be a weird goon, but much less of one! i shudder to imagine what how things might have turned out if I just doubled down on gaming for the rest of college and beyond.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 13, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I only stopped video games because of college. I don’t have time or money for games. I’d rather use my little bits of free time for sleep and masturbating and feeling dead inside.

Such is life, right? I’ll definitely play video games again someday, but right now I just have no motivation to.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Do you just keep this story saved?

Feel like I've read it 3 times min.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
no and I tried real hard to find the original story but I couldn't so I just typed out the basics what I could remember

if anyone finds the original post let me know so I can save it in my copypasta folder

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Dangerous Minority posted:

Nah, my wife and I still game together. We just do it for an hour a day instead of the six we used to do in highschool.

Pretty much this. We have no kids so there's enough money around for plenty of gaming and online shopping.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bideogabes?

I love 'em, myself. Can't stop won't stop I scream as I make Somic do the loop!
Twice as fast as your rear end! Woot!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I actually stopped at the end of college and for a few years after, but mostly because I was finishing my degree and then was living in a developing country with no access to stuff.

I bought a PS4 in 2016 after not having anything since a 360 (which I used to play MW2 basically exclusively) so I had a fun few years going back through all the good games. Have you guys heard of "dark souls"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
No. I stopped during college. I was doing drugs and having sex.

• Locked thread