Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discarded box
Oct 15, 2008
yeah it sucks a lot. i wish there was a pill i could take to get back into video games, well i mean there is and its called adderall, but i dont do drugs these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balzac
Sep 20, 2001
No OP I've never stopped consuming one or more forms of media after hitting a certain point in my life.

I did give up/take a hiatus on certain genres though.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i have given up videogames, television, music, and all other childish forms of entertainment so now i can focus on Being An AdultTM

if you listen very closely when im speaking you can hear the remnants of my soul screaming out for deliverance

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I've definitely lost interest in video games the last couple years, but it took me a while to realize it. So I bought Civ 6, FF15, and Shadow of War, but have less than twelve hours between the three.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When people tell me they play video games because they're "fun", I politely scoff and lean back in the leather easy chair of my mind palace, before treating myself to a fine memory of reading Tacitus.

naem
May 29, 2011

I usually pick one game that I play a bunch for like six months or a year. Sometimes have to buy 3-4 games to find one actually good.

Pleeeeeeeeeeaase somebody make elder scrolls six and make it good and make me magically like games still, the end

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely not. What a silly question

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I stopped playing PC/console games after I had a kid. I did manage to play Bloodborne recently but otherwise my attention span and motivation has been elsewhere. I still play on my phone too much though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

naem posted:

I usually pick one game that I play a bunch for like six months or a year. Sometimes have to buy 3-4 games to find one actually good.

Pleeeeeeeeeeaase somebody make elder scrolls six and make it good and make me magically like games still, the end

I only play Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. So basically every 3 or 4 years, I play a game almost addictively for a month, and then go back into gaming hibernation. Imagine my dismay when Fallout 4 basically sucked.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Something you slowly realize when you start getting on in years is that media-based pop culture is for young people. I mean, you probably already knew that, but the difference you realize isn't that you have become obsolete, pop culture has become obsolete to you. It's like a pretend lifestyle to occupy you until you reach your actual lifestyle.

Even if you actually try to hold on to it, you'll find that pop culture will almost actively push you away. At a certain point they literally stop making pop culture media for you. You'll ask either (or both) "Why do they keep doing this? I've done this a million times, where are the NEW things?" or "Why don't they make things the way they used to? Oh good, they ARE making things the way they used to! But wait, they got it WRONG. Why is this so hard?" And the reason is because they don't make this poo poo for you anymore. It's like a teenager watching Sesame Street and demanding it still caters to your interests. You'll move on (I mean... usually).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It wasn't immediately after college but each step of college -> grad school -> first job -> married has been a significant drop-off in terms of gaming. At this point I only put any meaningful amount of time into one or two games a year.

It's less an issue of interest and more an issue of time, I'm so drat busy these days and my wife also keeps busy and I feel compelled to match her in that regard. The ironic thing is that in all the years that we've been together, my wife has never told me to not play so many games or to give it up entirely. Maybe because it's happening on its own :negative:

My younger brother has a Switch and has been bugging me to get one, there's enough games on there that I'm interested in playing but I feel like I'd just never pick the drat thing up. So instead I'm trying to get myself to play through the games that I already own but haven't finished so that I can sell them without feeling like I "missed out" or whatever.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
There aren't many new games that really grab my attention anymore. It's mostly keeping an ear open for certain titles that get lots of positive word of mouth or at least are talked up enough that I want to see what the fuss is all about. Sometimes I'm still pleasantly surprised by discovering a game that's been out for awhile but is well known. For example, I missed the initial Skyrim rush and bought one of the game of the year editions several years after it's been out. It was really amazing in spite of me being in the dark about it for years.

Most of the big titles that I used to follow have been disappointing with their newer stuff so I don't care as much to keep up with them. At most keeping an ear open for similar titles on the off chance they get something right. The newer Prey and Doom were fantastic.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I'm not that big into games, and definitely cut back significantly after my first degree. I will sometimes get sucked into a game like Witcher 3 or American Truck Simulator, but generally I limit myself to "immersive sims" and stealth FPS series like Dishonored, Deus Ex or Prey. The result is concentrated bursts of playing and then months of nothing. Which is great, because then I can focus on career, music, movies and books. I get a little wigged out after the second hour of playing a game, and have a nagging sensation that I could be using my time more productively.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

This is from years back but college was a big eye opener seeing gaming addiction take hold of people during the early World of Warcraft days. Seeing peoples lives ruined from that was the first break that made me divest myself from multiplayer games, seeing how much time and effort was spent on practically nothing of use. In addition, when Lets Plays started to ramp up on youtube, pretty much every secret, bug, statistic and bullshit strategy was revealed, taking a lot of the fun and challenge out of it and realizing that I don't have to play games anymore if I can just watch it. then after that got boring I never kept up with games since (except for a brief foray into minecraft).

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hell, now that I graduated and got a high paying job I can afford lots more vidya games.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Video games seemed like a boring chore to me in college. I remember trying to hang out with some friends and they'd just be locked in their dark rear end dorm rooms playing guitar hero or halo. Never saw the appeal. Spent all my free time playing outdoor sports or working out. I was a math major and the last thing I wanted to do when i wasn't studying was sit inside.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

I keep getting games, playing them for a bit and losing interest with no intention of ever finishing them. Either games are getting a lot shittier or I am losing interest in games. There are still probably one or two a year that will be worth playing and I'll just be selective and spend my ever-dwindling video game time on them.

this is me. unless I'm forgetting something, I haven't beat a single game since I bought my PS4 almost two years ago. Horizon: Zero Dawn and Bloodborne are the two games that kept my attention the most, but I'm still not close to beating either of them since I go months without playing. games get boring to me much quicker than when I was playing nfl 2k5 for 2000 hours and also playing tons of other games

I also bought resident evil 7 after enjoying the demo quite a bit and I haven't even played it yet. I do think Red Dead Redemption 2 might get me back into gaming for a bit whenever that comes out

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 13, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its almost like going from having a shitload of free time to having very little free time effects the amount of game playing you are able to do

:thunk:

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Video games seemed like a boring chore to me in college. I remember trying to hang out with some friends and they'd just be locked in their dark rear end dorm rooms playing guitar hero or halo. Never saw the appeal. Spent all my free time playing outdoor sports or working out. I was a math major and the last thing I wanted to do when i wasn't studying was sit inside.

Video games are a vessel for loving around with your friends. Sometimes you go out and do stuff together, and sometimes you stay in, get drunk, and talk mad poo poo during Mario Kart.

Absolutely agree on the sitting inside, too. Gaming for us is for the end of the day, when it's dark and you're tired from work or the gym and you just want to chill for a while.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lol if you'd rather spend time with hooman feemales for any reason beyond siring spawn for general labor instead of sharing a couch and playing coop in the basement with your bros.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

No

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
no

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I still play video games. They’re fun.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
I definitely devote less time towards video games now than I did during college, though I still wish I could spend all my time playing video games instead of working.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I wish I could spend more time playing games but they all suck.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fishing with the fam posted:

I've definitely lost interest in video games the last couple years, but it took me a while to realize it. So I bought Civ 6, FF15, and Shadow of War, but have less than twelve hours between the three.

Lol you got the worst versions of those franchises

Seriously there’s a ton of great games but you gotta find your niche

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've gradually morphed into the office dweller who is sleeping when he isn't working. I used to hold such people in contempt as a teenager. Still got to get a divorce and constant sense of anxiety from the stock market to complete the picture.

So, no time left for video games.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I play about the same amount, but I play less challenging stuff or games on a lower difficulty. If I find myself getting frustrated at a game for a certain period of time, I play a different game or do something else.
My friends are across the country, so gaming is something we do that allows us to "hang out" when we're able to and not doing stuff in the real world.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I have a weird tendency to basically get to the end of a game and then just stop playing it.

I had basically completed all of Witcher 3 and all its DLC. Then I got to the end of Blood and Wine, got killed a couple of times trying to kill Mr. Vampire Man, got frustrated and stopped playing. That was 6 months ago. This is pretty normal for me.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I really stopped playing after college, I got back in with the switch because you can come home drunk and undock it and play in bed till you pass out which is a useful feature. Still I rarely play anything during the summer.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Jim Barris posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about "hours per week commitment"? Nobody forces you to play videogames, it's not a job.

you think you can enjoy, savor, and master WoW in 30 mins a week?

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Caganer posted:

This guy gets it

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've always felt like the ability to enjoy video games has been a litmus test on the general quality of my life.

When I'm stressed at work or my relationship is going poorly, the first thing to go is always the video games. However when life is going well and I'm feeling good, it's no problem to sit down and play some games.

That being said, we are not planning on having children (I'm 32). Obviously if you have children none of this applies.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Caganer posted:

I don't play multiplayer games so I didn't really think of them but you also are comparing apples and oranges if you're looking at WoW in comparison to Pokemon. WoW is also hardly the only kind of game.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lol you got the worst versions of those franchises

Seriously there’s a ton of great games but you gotta find your niche

I played the gently caress out of the earlier iterations of each.

Edit: poo poo, Breath of the Wild is another good example. Got like 4 hours in and haven't picked it up in months. I gotta stop buying and then not playing games.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I'm planning on having a kid or two in a year's time, so I'm basically revisiting games I love in one last hurrah before I sunset that stage in my life completely (at least until retirement, provided the West doesn't collapse). I don't think I'm going to be able to resist Cyberpunk though.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Love Rat posted:

I'm planning on having a kid or two in a year's time, so I'm basically revisiting games I love in one last hurrah before I sunset that stage in my life completely (at least until retirement, provided the West doesn't collapse). I don't think I'm going to be able to resist Cyberpunk though.

Have a kid now and he might be old enough to enjoy it with you by the time it comes out.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fishing with the fam posted:

I played the gently caress out of the earlier iterations of each.

Me too but Shadow of War is terrible compared to the original, Civ 6 was also very weird to me(I liked 4 and 5 much better)

I like FFXV (first I’ve played since FFX), but I’m not getting seriously into it.

I’m excited for a lot of stuff announced at E3, might get a PS4 even

The past year has been amazing for games, and Red dead redemption is coming out soon...

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 13, 2018

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Yeah basically, when the ethics in games journalism took a giant poo poo. I never knew what the good games were anymore so I gave it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Over There posted:

Have a kid now and he might be old enough to enjoy it with you by the time it comes out.

And at age 13 he'll have the motor skills to truly enjoy it.

• Locked thread