Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes - oh no
There is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me

Get up, come on, get down with the sickness
Open up your hate and let it flow into me
You mother get up, come on, get down with the sickness
You fucker get up, come on, get down with the sickness
Madness is the gift that has been given to me

I can see inside you, the sickness is rising
Don't try to deny what you feel - Will you give in to me?
It seems that all that was good has died
And is decaying in me - Will you give in to me?

It seems you're having some trouble
In dealing with these changes
Living with these changes - oh no
The world is a scary place

Spring-loaded, soft recoil buffer.

Top right sliding tab is the takedown latch, push tab at the top front of the trigger guard is the mabidextrous magazine release, rotating thingy under the trigger is the ambidextrous safety.

Installed the included but optional to use brass deflector for maximum friendliness on the left shoulder.

OEM safety. Gonna add some sort of speedbump to keep it getting knocked on.

Takedown pin to left of the "40 S&W" label. Pin retention tab to the left of that.

Charging handle can be installed on either side but gently caress lefties, this is MY bullpup.

H. K. Slap.

Have the stubby VFG set for a broken wrist grips and the crook of my thumb straddles the non-reciprocating charging handle. At least for now.

Eat bullpup, bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Detroit

College Slice

Extremely Good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Just e-mailed InRange to see if they want to borrow it for a bit.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Wow that looks like fun on a bun. I want one... well, to play with for a couple hours

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

A little disappointing that it's not a 10mm, but otherwise pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to see how it actually works out.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

igni ferroque

Butch Cassidy posted:

I hope they mudtest it just so I can see the comments if it does well.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Same song, Bullpup version

This is a cool thing to do with a Hi-Point. What's going on with the trigger? It looks like it's got another sort of piece of something partially covering it, or is that part of the trigger?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's kinda like a striker trigger safety but full-width and hinged at the bottom. Taking up the trigger shoe-thing feels like a super light first stage in a teonstage trigger. Then mush that is noyably worse than a stock Hi-Point but better than expected. It is adjustable for takeup and overtravel.

Yellowjacket
Mar 13, 2006

Man I don't have a highpoint carbine but have a powerful want for this. Might have to hit up a pawn shop to see if they have any used ones.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

ThinkFear posted:

I hope they mudtest it just so I can see the comments if it does well.

Mud test videos had their comments turned off awhile ago. They were a treasure trove of hot takes. Too bad, as it was fun to read the dumbest comments imaginable from irate fanboys to haters.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ROBBLE ROBBLE ROBBLE!

Butch Cassidy posted:

I would love to see them take a look at it just to take the piss out of it. And maybe find some genuinely good things about it. Who knows!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

That mag extension is.....

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's a sleeve on a lovely, long bodied Pro-Mag.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I feel like this is the carbine version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQk244oW9c

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Anyone have a vector image of the Omni Consumer Products logo? I need a stencil made to mark this thing. Then a rack number painted on the stock, laser radiation warning by the barrel, and explosible hazard graphic by the ejection port.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Good: High Tower is very responsive on the Hi-Point Firearms Forums so I might not need to speak to customer service and they aren't afraid of publicly troubleshooting.

Bad: The trigger sometimes binds to the rear as I run it dry checking reset. The slot to expose the serial plate was also sharp enough to eat the proximal knuckle of my thumb and got an immediate introduction to Messrs Sandpaper and Scotchbrite.

Sub-Optimal: The charging handle is on the small side. Be cool if they released an optional version a wee bit longer. And the whole package doesn't seem like it will do anything better for me than the OEM stock. Which I expected but I wouldn't buy one expecting a big product improvement. Will definitely be buying a second 4095 to put in the chassis and return this barreled action to its original configuration to have both set-ups represented.

Questionable: Whether a rebarrel for 357 Sig will be doable. The upper fits pretty snug (though the OEM upper handguard does, as well) and anyone turning me a new barrel would have to hold the OD right on the money.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

High Tower just posted a more in-depth explanation of their bolt buffer:

"...The buffer is also made from the same firm but compressible polyurethane as the spacer. The buffer system is 3 components. First the buffer, which can travel to the rear for 1/4 of an inch before it is arrested by locking lugs. As it accelerates rearward for that 1/4", it impacts a steel counterweight which is also accelerated at a rate faster than the rate of the incoming slide/bolt since it is an elastic collision. This weight continues to the rear, compressing the spring through inertia while the bolt has now come to a stop and is starting to move forward back into battery. The counter weight bottoms out, and then is propelled forward by the spring, pushing the buffer forward into home position as well restarting the cycle.

It sounds simple, but for anyone here who likes math and wants me to demonstrate the effects, it's quite fascinating. Keeping it simple, mathematically, it works out to be about a 30% reduction in recoil energy for the 40/45 and a 40% reduction for the 9mm. This should greatly improve the service life of the gun, when compared to other methods like the ATI stock where the action is allowed to slam into a very hard wall. We have sent MKS 2 units (.45 and 9mm) and are eagerly awaiting their findings..."

The gun recoiled far less than a 5.56mm AR in its original guise. I'm pretty anxious to get to the range, tomorrow. Between the more inline stock (muzzle rise was minimal if even existent before so who knows) and the buffer, want to see how it feels, now. Also, if the buffer makes and difference versus the springy butt plate of the TS models.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I wish I could explain why I like these hi point threads so much.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

One more for the highlight reel and one more for the bad guy.

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

I wish I could explain why I like these hi point threads so much.

Because HiPoints are supposed to be the worst cheap trash, but it turns out they are just cheap.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I think the trigger binding is sorted. High Tower advised that it was likely the overtravel adjustment screw being set too deep, allowing the trigger to move farther rearward than spec. They also said that the earliest batches sent out were found to be set deeper than necessary.

Backed it out about one turn and the trigger seems to behave when cycling dry, now. Most of the overtravel is also gone so yay. Now to see if I can fit a few minutes in at the range come morning.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

What's the overall length of the whole thing?

e: if under 29", is there a threaded model?

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2018 around 14:52

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

27 3/4 inches with the 4095. And the 10mm carbines are threaded from the factory. Range Hot and Military Arms Channel have both run ten mil. samples suppressed with zero issue.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Butch Cassidy posted:

I think the trigger binding is sorted. High Tower advised that it was likely the overtravel adjustment screw being set too deep, allowing the trigger to move farther rearward than spec. They also said that the earliest batches sent out were found to be set deeper than necessary.

Backed it out about one turn and the trigger seems to behave when cycling dry, now. Most of the overtravel is also gone so yay. Now to see if I can fit a few minutes in at the range come morning.

Maybe put a tiny spring washer in between the head of the screw and the gun? Fail-unsafe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

180 gr Federal HST - 20 rounds

180 grain S&B FMJ - 35 rounds

10 rounds from left shoulder, rest righty. Fired prone, kneeling, and standing. 15 rounds out of my poo poo rear end Pro-Mag. No failures and no issues. It's a fun set-up. However, recoil isn't notably softer than a TS stock. HSTs are a bit less snappy prone in this so it is doing something between the bit extra weight and buffer but not enough to care about. The rearward balance does make one armed handling easier.

But I do genuinely like the TS stock so am definitely buying a second 4095 next summer. Can then put that in the MBS 95 and return this action to the configuration it had been running great in.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Butch Cassidy posted:

27 3/4 inches with the 4095. And the 10mm carbines are threaded from the factory. Range Hot and Military Arms Channel have both run ten mil. samples suppressed with zero issue.

Ffffff, would have to pin and weld to get over 29". Is there anything that would make pinning and welding not work well? Top piece have to go over the barrel or anything?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The muzzle slots fairly tightly through the upper. Dunno how feasible it'd be to enlarge the hole for it to at least have a muzzle device.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Butch Cassidy posted:

Charging handle can be installed on either side but gently caress lefties, this is MY bullpup.

As a lefty, gently caress bullpups

Seriously though, why have an ambi charging handle when the gun would eject into your ear shooting lefty.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The MBS 95 runs fine from the left shoulder. Perhaps you need to look at cheaper options as the manufacturers scrape up any customer they can get. Versus those high dollar pricks who can afford to shun the sinistral.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The Real Stephen Hawking posted:

I am not afraid of death, but I am in no hurry to die.

Stephen Hawking will return after these brief messages.

Fun Shoe

This is extremely my poo poo.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Butch Cassidy posted:

If this stays reliable for you, I'll have to grab one of these for my 1095.

Has anyone tried to use the RIT dyes on these?

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Same song, Bullpup version

This is a cool thing to do with a Hi-Point. What's going on with the trigger? It looks like it's got another sort of piece of something partially covering it, or is that part of the trigger?

Not this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3by_P1xBQ

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

OWLS! and I put about another hundred rounds through it over the weekend. No problems for either of us. Even that drat Pro-Mag which was never reliable until it just decided to work at a recent carbine class. My kids also love the new stock since it shifts the weight rearward, making it easier for their little noodle arms to support.

Any concerns I had about the chassis borking the carbine's accuracy are looking to be nothing. It'll cloverleaf S&B at 25 yards if I do my part. Pretty much all that's left to do is stuff it with varied ammo and see how it runs my home cast handloads.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I figure Butch would be the one to ask: is it possible to do .45 Super through a .45 carbine? Because that would be pretty fantastic. I know it's blowback so that's questionable.

Yellowjacket
Mar 13, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I figure Butch would be the one to ask: is it possible to do .45 Super through a .45 carbine? Because that would be pretty fantastic. I know it's blowback so that's questionable.

I wouldn't, with such a significant pressure difference. Maybe put some beefy as poo poo springs in it and do some test shots with a string. I sort of want to try this. This is a bad and wonderful idea.

Edit: apparently people have ran 45 super in the hi point pistol, and hi point tests it up to 35k psi so gently caress it if the pistol can handle it why not the carbine, maybe put a buffer in the back and some tougher recoil springs and rock. 45 super out of a carbine barrel has to have some serious punch.

Yellowjacket fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2018 around 06:34

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It may require a heavier recoil spring to have a decent service life but yes. Not sure MoM would approve if you called and asked, though.

At least least one beautiful bastard is even running 460 Rowland in his hunting carbine. Forget what he did for springs but his loads are middling somewhere above the hottest 45 Super and below max .460

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Yellowjacket posted:

Edit: apparently people have ran 45 super in the hi point pistol, and hi point tests it up to 35k psi so gently caress it if the pistol can handle it why not the carbine, maybe put a buffer in the back and some tougher recoil springs and rock. 45 super out of a carbine barrel has to have some serious punch.

Ahahahahahaha, nice. An even better counterpoint than S&W third generation autos for when someone says how awesome H&Ks are because they can take .45 Super without a new barrel.

Looks like it's above 10mm out of a carbine, although apparently .357 takes to a carbine really well or maybe it's just the cartridges tested, they come in slightly higher than a .45 Super in terms of muzzle energy.

Yellowjacket
Mar 13, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ahahahahahaha, nice. An even better counterpoint than S&W third generation autos for when someone says how awesome H&Ks are because they can take .45 Super without a new barrel.

Looks like it's above 10mm out of a carbine, although apparently .357 takes to a carbine really well or maybe it's just the cartridges tested, they come in slightly higher than a .45 Super in terms of muzzle energy.

HKs are awesome, harumph. I really want a space bullpup in 460 now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Took the bullpup out for a few mags before lunch. A couple guys were setting up and asked who made that neat thing. The looks on their faces when I said "Hi-Point" were hilarious. One asked if it was a new model and got a kick out of learning that another company was making a conversion chassis. Both insisted it was a 9mm just watching the recoil while I shot until I tossed them a loaded mag of 40 S&W.

After scoring another LCR, I need to get myself one more 4095TS to have a comparable sample in each stock. And talk someone else into bullpupping a .380 carbine.

The 15 round Pro-Mag finally went back to having stoppages but that's as inevitable as death and taxes.