Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Oh, hello there! It's that time of year again, for the 420th consecutive year it's the Big rear end BYOB Photo Safari Thread! It's time to go out into the great big world and act like hippy paparazzi and take thousands of pictures of nature and animals and beetles tipping over their drinks and then post them here to share with one and all.

First up is this nest of baby robins:

I was cutting back some brush from my blueberry bushes and this robin kept chirping at me about what I thought was his or her anger that I was taking their blueberries, which I found funny because they are not ripe yet. Well that robin slapped the dick right out of my mouth when I cut another branch and exposed this nest of little babies. :ohdear: I felt terrible and stopped cutting. I returned today to check on them and thankfully they are doing fine.

Next up is a wild rose:

These little guys are everywhere around here (coast of Massachusetts) and while some of the snobbier people consider them weeds I and others who actually have a soul love them.

And finally the Hound standing on my dock determining when the rain will be arriving (very soon):

Some people think climate change is a hoax but if you actually live on the coast you see the devastating 100 year tides happening several times a year now, kinda alarming really. This walkway is 370ft long and used to be straight and level. Every year now we lose sections to storms and tides and this year I did my best to rebuild but as you can see it's... in need of some leveling.

Let's celebrate 420 years of posting photographs on the forums! If you got em, post em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

Great pics! I will post some when I am done with work

Manifisto

:3:

an excellent Hound

I'll be in a better spot to post some nature pics in the not too distant future (couple of weeks)

in the meantime tho here is a pic of many turtle friends I took pretty recently:

also a watchful egret*

*or crane or heron, as the case may be

FluffieDuckie

This thread is forcing me to plan to get off the couch and go take some pictures

Someday soon

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Mummy Napkin
hell yeah

about two months, a buddy and i helped plant trees in a local park. we went this past weekend to check on them. i don't know what kind of trees they are, but this one looks a little like weed, lol.

also found a log with some mushrooms on em. i need to do some more research so that i can identify poo poo when i'm out innawoods.

found a cool creek that i plan to take the pup to soon so she can have a swim.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

:3:

an excellent Hound

I'll be in a better spot to post some nature pics in the not too distant future (couple of weeks)

in the meantime tho here is a pic of many turtle friends I took pretty recently:

also a watchful egret*

*or crane or heron, as the case may be

holy yowzers thats a lot of turtles! :aaa:

whats a group of turtles called? A flock? A gang? A murder? We may never know the answer

FluffieDuckie posted:

This thread is forcing me to plan to get off the couch and go take some pictures

Someday soon

I remember once upon a time you climbed a hill to get some nice photos of bobcats

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Mummy Napkin posted:

hell yeah

about two months, a buddy and i helped plant trees in a local park. we went this past weekend to check on them. i don't know what kind of trees they are, but this one looks a little like weed, lol.

also found a log with some mushrooms on em. i need to do some more research so that i can identify poo poo when i'm out innawoods.

found a cool creek that i plan to take the pup to soon so she can have a swim.

Planting trees is very good. I love painting/drawing/taking pictures of mushrooms!

Here's one from a couple years ago of a mother mushroom taking her little one through the woods:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

FluffieDuckie posted:

Someday soon

Alternately, safari from couch

e: Kitty is eyeing me suspiciously wondering why scritches have ceased for the moment...

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Hugh Malone posted:

Alternately, safari from couch

e: Kitty is eyeing me suspiciously wondering why scritches have ceased for the moment...

thats a god drat lion, nice pet

City of Glompton

here are some roses

and a little later

a very suspicious mother duckie who wouldn't let me get close

a duck with weird wings

a wood duck

a sweet lil baby gosling :3:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

City of Glompton posted:

here are some roses

a very suspicious mother duckie who wouldn't let me get close

those roses are awesome, reminds me of my old rose bushes at a place i lived a long time ago and those ducks remind me that at some point i'd love to have a duck and/or multiple ducks as a pet/pets... someday

MockingQuantum

Luvcow posted:

those roses are awesome, reminds me of my old rose bushes at a place i lived a long time ago and those ducks remind me that at some point i'd love to have a duck and/or multiple ducks as a pet/pets... someday

ducks are pretty great pets but be warned that some of them can get pretty aggressive/defensive, which can sometimes be a good thing

my mother-in-law is a veterinarian and her clinic used to be the animal control drop-off site for a big chunk of my city, so she'd mostly get dogs and cats, but will occasionally get weirder animals. Chickens in particular weren't super uncommon, and she wanted chickens at her house, so one year she got three chickens over the course of the summer. well near the end of the summer another chicken showed up... with a duck. the animal control officer said as he was trying to catch the chicken, the duck just emerged from a nearby bush and started yelling at him. So he took one of the animal crates he keeps in the truck, put it on the ground, put some food in it, and opened the door. In trotted the duck, with the chicken following her.

So my mother in law figured, hey, well, I guess they're friends, and took both home. The duck's name is phoebe and she is very much the guard-duck for the chickens, she won't let anybody but my m-i-l near them. She's pretty sure phoebe has scared off at least a couple of foxes, too.

for the record, the chickens are all named rachel. the first one was named rachel, the second one was named monica, but they're super hard to tell apart because they're both buff colored so eventually my m-i-l claimed defeat and just called both of them rachel. when she got the other two they were given the name of rachel as well, as is tradition

thank you luvcow for the sig

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

MockingQuantum posted:

ducks are pretty great pets but be warned that some of them can get pretty aggressive/defensive, which can sometimes be a good thing

my mother-in-law is a veterinarian and her clinic used to be the animal control drop-off site for a big chunk of my city, so she'd mostly get dogs and cats, but will occasionally get weirder animals. Chickens in particular weren't super uncommon, and she wanted chickens at her house, so one year she got three chickens over the course of the summer. well near the end of the summer another chicken showed up... with a duck. the animal control officer said as he was trying to catch the chicken, the duck just emerged from a nearby bush and started yelling at him. So he took one of the animal crates he keeps in the truck, put it on the ground, put some food in it, and opened the door. In trotted the duck, with the chicken following her.

So my mother in law figured, hey, well, I guess they're friends, and took both home. The duck's name is phoebe and she is very much the guard-duck for the chickens, she won't let anybody but my m-i-l near them. She's pretty sure phoebe has scared off at least a couple of foxes, too.

for the record, the chickens are all named rachel. the first one was named rachel, the second one was named monica, but they're super hard to tell apart because they're both buff colored so eventually my m-i-l claimed defeat and just called both of them rachel. when she got the other two they were given the name of rachel as well, as is tradition

there are some chicken havers here in BYOB, not sure if he still has them but alnilam used to post his. as for ducks I've always liked them because long before i was born, back when my dad was a little kid, my grandparents had a pair of ducks named mr. and mrs. mallard who used to hand my gran clothespins while she was hanging up the laundry. i fully realize i might be romanticizing having ducks because of this and it would be bitterly ironic if i ever got ducks and ended up being terrorized and bullied by them. which would, to be fair, be really loving funny for others to watch.

MockingQuantum

Luvcow posted:

there are some chicken havers here in BYOB, not sure if he still has them but alnilam used to post his. as for ducks I've always liked them because long before i was born, back when my dad was a little kid, my grandparents had a pair of ducks named mr. and mrs. mallard who used to hand my gran clothespins while she was hanging up the laundry. i fully realize i might be romanticizing having ducks because of this and it would be bitterly ironic if i ever got ducks and ended up being terrorized and bullied by them. which would, to be fair, be really loving funny for others to watch.

my understanding is that if you are the one who feeds the ducks, you forever win their undying allegiance, and they will don ceremonial armor and katanas to fight in your name

joking aside, I think they're just really loyal animals, especially if they're getting food and attention from the same person every day. lots of smarter birds are that way, they figure out quick where their bread is buttered.

Manifisto

re duckchat

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

re duckchat

in my mind the dog was chasing the ducks until they got to a bus stop, then they all calmly boarded, waited for their stop and peacefully departed and just as this gif stops they break into a run again with the dog following close behind

so I checked on the robin babies again today (still fine):

last year i got great pics of house finch babies so it's nice that this year i can get pics of a different type of bird

and while looking through pics here is one of the Hound watching his seal friend bask on the neighbors float (far left)

this was during early spring when I'd use any free time to repair the dock. this seal would flop around in the sun and occasionally swim by the dock taunting my dog to come and play (water was too cold for him to jump in) and i ended up with quite a few pictures of the dog staring out in earnest, desperately wanting to play with his sea dog friend

Robot Made of Meat

Luvcow posted:

dog staring out in earnest, desperately wanting to play with his sea dog friend

:)

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

it was bitter sweet to see him do it because cool he wants to play but sad he can't just go do it, like if he had to stay inside and practice his violin while all the seals played outside his window. here's another one from a week later in april at high tide instead of low:

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

it was bitter sweet to see him do it because cool he wants to play but sad he can't just go do it, like if he had to stay inside and practice his violin while all the seals played outside his window. here's another one from a week later in april at high tide instead of low:

those are some great pics. it's really amazing how doglike seals seem. if he had been able to jump in, do you think they would have actually played together?

MockingQuantum

Luvcow posted:

it was bitter sweet to see him do it because cool he wants to play but sad he can't just go do it, like if he had to stay inside and practice his violin

it's almost cruel to say these sorts of things, now I want to see a dog play violin

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

those are some great pics. it's really amazing how doglike seals seem. if he had been able to jump in, do you think they would have actually played together?

good question. i'm p sure the dog would have played, years back someone's really big pig got loose and they found each other out in the neighborhood and played until the owner showed up. the seal though i have no idea, they seem playful but i don't know if it would have freaked out if the dog jumped in off the dock or if it would have been excited.

MockingQuantum posted:

it's almost cruel to say these sorts of things, now I want to see a dog play violin

he gave up violin years ago, used to piss all over it to mark it as his own (which warped the hell out of it) so it was p easy to just say "gently caress it" and throw it out.

City of Glompton

really loving the baby robin pics. i got to raise a baby robin once because the neighbor kids took him out of the nest and kept him in their house for a few days and he was super weak by the time i took him away from them. he loved worms, berries, and bologna. he also love to stare at a wooden goose my grandpa carved. we taught him to wolf whistle and when he was old enough to be set free in the woods by our house, he'd whistle at us when we'd go for walks :3:

anyhow i went to a different park near my house today and took some more pictures.

ducks

geese and ducks

a red-wing blackbird (sorry, grainy they're kinda shy, had to zoom in and my phone isn't great at that)

a cute lil bridge over a creek

the creek

i also saw an osprey but it was way up in the sky so i couldn't take a pic of it

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

ulvir

Manifisto posted:

re duckchat

fluffieduckie raised them well

ulvir

don’t have a pic, but my cat has become really good friends with a pigeon that likes to hang out in our backyard. he'll sit in the window for an hour just looking at it and sometimes make those funny chirping sounds which are too cute to mean "i wanna hunt you"

Manifisto

ulvir posted:

don’t have a pic, but my cat has become really good friends with a pigeon that likes to hang out in our backyard. he'll sit in the window for an hour just looking at it and sometimes make those funny chirping sounds which are too cute to mean "i wanna hunt you"

I imagine cats assume we are doing the same thing when we spend hours staring at various screens

Manifisto

City of Glompton posted:

anyhow i went to a different park near my house today and took some more pictures.

that's a very nice park, thanks for sharing the pics!

City of Glompton posted:

i got to raise a baby robin once because the neighbor kids took him out of the nest and kept him in their house for a few days and he was super weak by the time i took him away from them. he loved worms, berries, and bologna. he also love to stare at a wooden goose my grandpa carved. we taught him to wolf whistle and when he was old enough to be set free in the woods by our house, he'd whistle at us when we'd go for walks :3:

and that is just the greatest story. I want a birb friend who whistles at me when I walk by!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

City of Glompton posted:

really loving the baby robin pics. i got to raise a baby robin once because the neighbor kids took him out of the nest and kept him in their house for a few days and he was super weak by the time i took him away from them. he loved worms, berries, and bologna. he also love to stare at a wooden goose my grandpa carved. we taught him to wolf whistle and when he was old enough to be set free in the woods by our house, he'd whistle at us when we'd go for walks :3:

a red-wing blackbird (sorry, grainy they're kinda shy, had to zoom in and my phone isn't great at that)

i also saw an osprey but it was way up in the sky so i couldn't take a pic of it

I can still here that angry robin in my head and i imagine it's chirping translates as a very different message than the chirping you got to hear, that's a great story.

Also redwing blackbirds are awesome, they are a sign of early spring here and we finally have a pair of ospreys nesting by the river, lots of people had tried to put up spots for them but someone finally figured out you need to place it far enough away from everything else (i.e. trees, houses, etc.) for them to come

MockingQuantum

I don't have a pic, but there's a bald eagle nest by a lake near my house that was built by a local raptor rehabilitation center, and it's occupied this year, which is super exciting!!!

I'm pondering volunteering at the raptor center once my schedule slows down a bit, will report back with pics if I do

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

henlo frens here is an dog

ok now that we have that out of the way what adventure should i take today with him, as it is 92 degrees and i do not want him to overheat, but also would like him to touch a nature

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

henlo frens here is an dog

ok now that we have that out of the way what adventure should i take today with him, as it is 92 degrees and i do not want him to overheat, but also would like him to touch a nature

can dog get wet

if wet=go, maybe pond or stream?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

can dog get wet

if wet=go, maybe pond or stream?

looks a little too much like a mogwai so.... maybe don't get it wet?

:ohdear:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
baby robin update: growing bigger

and from the other side of the house the koi pond with waterfalls:

and koi eating and growing too (just not as fast as the baby robins):

ulvir posted:

want to see this feline/avian friendship :)

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't have a pic, but there's a bald eagle nest by a lake near my house that was built by a local raptor rehabilitation center, and it's occupied this year, which is super exciting!!!

I'm pondering volunteering at the raptor center once my schedule slows down a bit, will report back with pics if I do

i've been seeing bald eagles a lot around here which is nice. last year i had one swoop out if the trees and about 20ft over my head as i was kayaking but had no chance in hell to actually get a picture. my vote if for you to volunteer.

ulvir

Luvcow posted:

want to see this feline/avian friendship :)

ill try to catch a pic next time I witness it

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

i've been seeing bald eagles a lot around here which is nice. last year i had one swoop out if the trees and about 20ft over my head as i was kayaking but had no chance in hell to actually get a picture. my vote if for you to volunteer.

bald eagles are cool as heck but they eat loon chicks which is a problem in northern new england, loon populations are really struggling. it's great that conservation is working and bringing back the eagles, but I guess restoring ecosystems bit by bit has inherent limitations.

MockingQuantum

Manifisto posted:

bald eagles are cool as heck but they eat loon chicks which is a problem in northern new england, loon populations are really struggling. it's great that conservation is working and bringing back the eagles, but I guess restoring ecosystems bit by bit has inherent limitations.

yeah I know it was a concern here for a while too, but I'm guessing our loon population must have bounced back if the local DNR is trying to reintroduce larger populations of bald eagles

the loon is the state bird so yeah we're pretty protective of them. The last time I went camping in the northern part of the state I heard tons of them, it was pretty cool.

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how big the pictures are when I take them on my phone but I've been meaning to test this "insert imgur" feature on the Android awful app.

So here's a couple pictures of a cat that hung out with us at work one day.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I don't know how big the pictures are when I take them on my phone but I've been meaning to test this "insert imgur" feature on the Android awful app.

So here's a couple pictures of a cat that hung out with us at work one day.

sweet cat, was it a coworkers or a stray?

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
A coworkers. She was between apartments and fitment fund Angie to cat sit so I told her it could chill with us for the day

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
baby robin update (still growing really loving fast):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

that's amazing

• Locked thread