Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

coconono posted:

which always makes for great matches

They can do a Brawl for All where the Winner get their contract annulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/sescoops/status/1098969876834775046
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/1097705368577204230

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah...I think everyone could see the writing on the wall when all the popular characters were either written out, no-shows for season 4, or they started taking many bookings elsewhere indicating that they've moved on. The whole "wrestlers suing them to get out of their contracts" thing felt like the end.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Martinpale posted:

Yeah...I think everyone could see the writing on the wall when all the popular characters were either written out, no-shows for season 4, or they started taking many bookings elsewhere indicating that they've moved on. The whole "wrestlers suing them to get out of their contracts" thing felt like the end.

Agreed. The way they handled stuff in season 4 seemed like a messy step for the right reason. After being lovely about contracts, they fixed things by allowing people to leave the company as long as they showed up to get written out. It made the season chaotic, but on its way to figuring out its new status quo. Then it turns out the contract stuff was even shadier than expected and it's like nobody wants to be part of the series anymore.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Man, early LU was so much fun. :(

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Erebus posted:

Man, early LU was so much fun. :(

It really was, and while taping an entire season at once helped a lot, story-wise, I think it also ended up hurting them in the long run. They couldn't pivot and take advantage of things like Pentagon being incredibly over when they probably should have given him the title much earlier.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
When it debuted Lucha Underground was fresh, exciting and different but when the novelty wore off it never really improved or changed and, in fact, doubled down so hard on all of its worst aspects to that I went from loving it, to apathetic, to actively disliking it and wishing it would go away.

It's pretty much the Bray Wyatt of wrestling promotions.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I'll always suspect that part of what happened was the difference between a production team made up of Trump stans in 2014 and the same crew in 2018. Other than a few jobber appearances by Cubanish Sammy Guevara, I don't think they added a single Latino character in Season 3 or 4. The show went from being passionate about Mexican and Mexican-American culture to Jack Swagger and Sami Callihan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Martinpale posted:

It really was, and while taping an entire season at once helped a lot, story-wise, I think it also ended up hurting them in the long run. They couldn't pivot and take advantage of things like Pentagon being incredibly over when they probably should have given him the title much earlier.

I don't think Pentagon vs. Matanza at the end of season 2 was bad, but it was the first major disappointment in the show. The match was too big and neither guy could lose, so we got an overbooked ending out of the season's big finale. On paper, it was fine to build up the third season towards Pentagon winning the title, but they handled that really badly.

First off, the mid-season break did nobody any favors and made the show cool off too much. Then they did the Cueto Cup, which was overwhelming with screwy endings on a show that was usually really good about not doing screwy endings. Then Pentagon's ascension to top guy was done in a really lovely way that didn't really make him look good at all while also screwing with the Gift of the Gods gimmick.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should have had Pentagon be top guy and stay there. No one else in LU was anywhere near as over after season 1.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
If nothing else, I hope the producers at least release a synopsis of where the plot was going to go. I would have liked to see how they planned to wrap up the Avatars of the Gods, the mystery Cabal,and the Cueto family drama.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Explosions posted:

I'll always suspect that part of what happened was the difference between a production team made up of Trump stans in 2014 and the same crew in 2018. Other than a few jobber appearances by Cubanish Sammy Guevara, I don't think they added a single Latino character in Season 3 or 4. The show went from being passionate about Mexican and Mexican-American culture to Jack Swagger and Sami Callihan.

I still have a strong suspicion that when Konnan left, he took all the good ideas with him

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They should have had Pentagon be top guy and stay there. No one else in LU was anywhere near as over after season 1.

Yeah, the reaction to Penta cashing in the Gotg on Puma should have told them something...and as a viewer, it was a very "so..i'm supposed to be happy that Puma didn't lose his career, and be upset that Pentagon cashed in on him...but I really, really like Pentagon and he's needed to be champ forever, so...??" thing. And the crowd didn't give a gently caress about the Puma stuff, given the reaction as soon as they realized that Penta was cashing in.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The class actions suit has been dropped, Ivelisse, Joey Ryan, Kobra Moon and El Hijo del Fantasma have all been released effective immediately https://luchacentral.com/lucha-cent...ediate-release/

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That's good for all involved. This whole thing was always weird as poo poo as a hybrid between tv show contracts and wrestling. The idea of touring and such didn't work out, the show is dead. Let the wrestlers go.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gavok posted:

I don't think Pentagon vs. Matanza at the end of season 2 was bad, but it was the first major disappointment in the show. The match was too big and neither guy could lose, so we got an overbooked ending out of the season's big finale. On paper, it was fine to build up the third season towards Pentagon winning the title, but they handled that really badly.

First off, the mid-season break did nobody any favors and made the show cool off too much. Then they did the Cueto Cup, which was overwhelming with screwy endings on a show that was usually really good about not doing screwy endings. Then Pentagon's ascension to top guy was done in a really lovely way that didn't really make him look good at all while also screwing with the Gift of the Gods gimmick.

The definitive great episode of early Lucha Underground to me was one where every match had a screwy finish for the sake of story, but to make up for it to people who just wanted to see good wrestling, there was a pretty great 20-minute Del Rio vs. Johnny Mundo main event that ended in the babyface winning clean.

It's okay to have screwy finishes when you need them if you also give a great match to close the show.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Swagger thinks they're dead too

Jack Swagger on Wrestling Inc's podcast posted:

In 2018 I was very optimistic about it [returning], but I haven't heard anything since we wrapped in April. It's very cool when it comes around, but sitting around and waiting for it isn't very cool especially when it's just crickets and no one knows.

I was very happy to be a part of season four and I'm still the current Lucha Underground Heavyweight Champion so the line starts here. It's a great place to work but I'm tired sitting around waiting on them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Who's even left anyway? The AAA guys (and Cuerno is no longer AAA so....). It's like all AAA plus Famous B

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pretty sure Hernandez is still around, but that's only because nobody else wants him

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Impressed by Joey not taking the layup chance to burn the bridge

Joey Ryan on a TNA media call posted:

I feel like for me to be completely free of any contracts and open to negotiate with anybody, there's now no Lucha Underground step that anybody has to take to get me. They can come directly to me and I can negotiate with anybody. There's no restriction. Not only does it open more options for me to go to, but the places I do want to go to now maybe have to dig a little deeper in their pocketbooks because I can literally show up to anywhere at any time.

I loved the product and loved the crew and the producers and writers. I would work there forever, if there was work. The problem is that there is not work. There's really no point to being locked into it when it doesn't even look like anyone's working on season five and I don't know if season five will even happen.

I don't regret it and it gave me some fun segments like the undercover police thing and different kinds of creative juices were flowing for me. I got a lot out of it and I loved the product, crew and cast. If there was work I would stay there forever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Impressed by Joey not taking the layup chance to burn the bridge

That's a fella who understands the big (penis) picture.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jeff Cobb, Famous B, and Sonny Kiss. Willie Mack might soon too

https://twitter.com/WrestlingSheet/status/1122961323556593664

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cobb? Does that mean by actually working for ROH he's basically daring LU to try and sue Sinclair?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LuchaCentral said LU's recently tried to say he's still under contract to them and they have tried to block him from appearing in ROH

They threatened to send a cease-and-desist to ROH and NWA for Willie Mack too, it's why Mack just dropped the NWA's National title

A lot of work to do. You know. For a company that still says they're ever going to tape again, just not where or when or with whom and also don't keep asking about when they're going to tape again please

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://luchacentral.com/lucha-central-exclusive-agreement-reached-for-jeff-cobbs-release-from-lucha-underground/ LuchaCentral update says an agreement's been reached that Cobb will be released from his LU deal soon. "Sources tell Lucha Central that once Cobb’s release is official, the releases for Famous B and Sonny Kiss will be asked for as well, though there is no change to their situation at this moment."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What a rotten way for a good show to die.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Not with a bang. Not with a whimper. But with...... Jack Swagger as your lucha libre show champion? :tizzy:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Clearly all a shoot so season 5 is the cast escaping the temple

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Clearly all a shoot so season 5 is the cast escaping the temple

Legends of the Lucha Temple

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Legends of the Lucha Temple

I mean, I'm sure Luis Fernandez-Gil would do a great job as Olmec.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

karmicknight posted:

I mean, I'm sure Luis Fernandez-Gil would do a great job as Olmec.

The Shrine of the Spot Monkey

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I got an exclusive scoop for the main event of Ultima Lucha Cinco: All Contracts On A Pole Match. The first 5 wrestlers who can reach their specific signed contract are granted an immediate release. Everyone else has to stay and vaguely promise future seasons we all know aren't happening.

My sources tell me this match will happen in, oh, well, you know how it is, gotta get the money and timing right. He assured me it's definitely happening though, and by gosh we gotta take them at their word.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

...So. This is a new one

https://twitter.com/RealSamAdonis/status/1125206631581736960

Marty the Moth is defending the LU title at an indy show against Corey Graves' brother Sam Adonis

Despite the facts Marty won the belt in last March (aired Sept), it changed hands two different times at the end of those tapings, the show's been dead since, and the real champ is busy with MMA with a fight this week

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, that's definitely not a another sign this promotion's dead...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sam Adonis's only redeeming quality is he isn't as much of a steaming pile of stupid as his brother.

Which this makes me wonder, how did Marty end up with physical possession of the belt?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Sam Adonis's only redeeming quality is he isn't as much of a steaming pile of stupid as his brother.

Which this makes me wonder, how did Marty end up with physical possession of the belt?

Cheap replica? Or Jack gave it to him because he no longer cares?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

coconono posted:

Didn't he get booed out of England for shouting homophobic slurs or was that a different guy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

coconono posted:

He wasn't as bad in Champion Carnival as I expected. Certainly wasn't the least interesting wrestler in it. Everything was okay to fine, nothing at all memorable but at least he wasn't Valletta or Hashimoto.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cheap replica? Or Jack gave it to him because he no longer cares?

Considering his first Bellator match got a better reaction and review than his entire LU stint, the latter is probably a safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Please remind me in ten years' time to check in which second-rate Mexican or Japanese promotion the LU title ended up.