Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
We moved into a house about a month ago and we have just about moved everything from our apartment. Well I pay my last month of rent and I notice that I was overcharged. Instead of paying like $500 my card said $1100. When I asked they said it was a system error but they couldn't refund me yet as they were going to add it to the security deposit.

Not only is that BS, but when we did the preliminary inspection, they took one look at the carpet and said they would need to replace it from the stains. WELL those stains are from the 8 times we had water leaks from the pipes and they had to tear out the ceiling to fix it.

So those bastards know that it will be easier to take our money if they put it in with the security deposit instead of trying to bill us later and us contesting it.

Not sure what to do in this situation, but all I know is every landlord I've had is scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
How is it trying to contest things? Like if they say we have to pay for the stains but its obvious that it was because of the leaks, would it have to go to court as a he said she said?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
If it was the $250 deposit I wouldn't care but the fact that they're holding $700 altogether is dumb as poo poo cause you know they're going to look for everything possible.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

JEEVES420 posted:

If you did not agree to give them 1100 then this is a fraudulent charge and you should call your bank/card company and report it.

When they give you a bill for damages then you fight it in court.

Unfortunately its a company and they said 1100 was due so I paid it online, and when I asked about why it was higher they said it was a mistake. Then when I said that I wanted it back they said that they couldn't and put it towards the deposit.

Told my dad about it and he's a lawyer so he said he would draft something.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

jimmyjams posted:

if youre moving out. whats stopping you from making every room the bathroom

pretty sure that's slightly above wear and tear

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

oh?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's not a wrong move but if they're a sizable company that deals with legal issues in renting a lot (stuff like this, evictions, etc.) they're prolly gonna tell you to take it to court.

yeah looks like this company probably has about 50 complexes.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

That’s the part I’m not going to explain to you.

o ok thanks for the participation

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
:airquote:Cleaning:airquote: on Saturday and inspection should be next week so I'll keep the thread updated.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
We also had some problems where they had some contractors painting while we were gone and they went into my bedside drawer and grabbed my old credit card I don't use anymore and tried to buy $400 worth of stuff with it. Luckily my bank called and told me.

When we told them they were like "oh, well let us know what the police say"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Klyith posted:

loving lol you lived in an apartment that had multiple plumbing leaks, and not only are you not getting your security deposit back but you paid them extra!

you should have been the one with the money, a plumbing leak putting water into your apartment is damage to your stuff plus health concerns over mold. easiest warranty of habitability complaint in the world if you can document multiple unfixed leaks.

landlords can suck but drat dude don't be a doormat

Yeah I'm glad we got out of there. Went back to go see it yesterday and the entire place smells of water leak smell. I checked some reviews and a lot of other people had the same issue.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Break-ins and peeping toms too

Everyone walking their dogs looked into my apartment. There was one dude at 9 am every morning that would just sit there with his pitpull just peering in for 15 seconds. It was weird

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So finished cleaning up today, looks like some water must have leaked in from somewhere because everything in the spare bedroom closet was wet and had mold on it. I'm really glad their housing structure allowed us to live in such quality. They will probably charge us for that too.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Update: they charged me $300 for cleaning the apartment and some new blinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Rock Puncher posted:

Does that mean you got everything else back? I haven't read anything but part of the op

Yeah just got a check for $500 back

• Locked thread