Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I just saw the movie. While the movie has many more moving parts than the original, parts that occasionally get tangled, I enjoyed it far more than any other superhero movie I've seem this year.

Regarding the story, I was a bit surprised that Winston, the billionaire tech executive, finished the movie looking so morally pure. When he was first introduced, I expected that Screenslaver was a ploy by him and his sister to scare the world into re-accepting superheroes. Given the direction that the movie eventually goes, though, I'm not sure I like the movie trying to hide Screenslaver's identity and motivation until the third act. It seemed to lead to some odd dissonance with how she is portrayed early on.

The "new" superheroes were all very fun characters. I really enjoyed how creative many of their powers were. Void's abilities were especially cool.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

BrianWilly posted:

The villain's motivations in this just felt particularly slapdash and skimpy in a way that I'm even now trying to process. "I'm gonna help my brother make people like you again...just so I can make people dislike you again! WITH MURDER! Because my parents trusted heroes to save them and then got killed! Because the heroes were illegal!" Wait what

I don't agree with your other criticisms, but I do generally agree with this.

As I said before, I wasn't surprised by the villain's identity, because the skill set and the Law of the Conservation of Characters only pointed to one person, but I was surprised by the motive. Up until the reveal, the only thing to suggest that Evelyn is bitter about superheroes is a casual, throwaway line about how her father went for the phone instead of the safe room. I enjoyed the character before and after the reveal, but there was some missing connective tissue between the two versions of her.

I wish the movie had spent more time developing Evelyn and her brother, but I don't see how that was possible with everything else going on in the movie.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Bob's Mr. Mom subplot is seemingly resolved by him learning to accept his own weaknesses, whether that be in getting Edna to babysit, learning the "New Math" to help his son, or accepting that he cannot fix his daughter's romantic life..

The message does get a little muddled by the rest of the action, though.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Erotic Wakes posted:

Screenslaver is a bad name because it's a pun based on a word that wasn't invented until decades after the time period The Incredibles is set in.

a good post

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah, I thought this is where it was going, but then like having Bob do the much more important heroic thing in the climax really undercut that. The more I think about, the more it feels like the whole third act is just awkwardly grafted on starting from the twist reveal and undercuts/muddles everything that came before it.

I'm not sure the movie views it this way. Bob ends up doing the unglamorous grunt work of breaking the rudder and monitoring his children while Elastagirl gets to pursue, confront, and save the villain.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Regalingualius posted:

See, that does bring up a bit of a plot hole, though.

All she would have had to do was order the supers under her control to directly kill the ambassadors the moment she had a worldwide broadcast, and that would have been the end of the public ever trusting them again.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Okay but..... if she had goggles that she can put on superheroes and make them do terrible things she could just.... do... that.... in the first place.

We're talking degrees of magnitude here. The plan is to trigger global and long-lasting outrage by assassinating the diplomatic leader of "every major world power" AND killing an enormous amount of civilians by plowing the ship into the city. Killing the Ambassadors would undoubtedly have consequences, but targeted killings is easier to rationalize than scores of dead bystanders. It's the same collateral damage conversation that has been going on for two movies.

Regalingualius posted:

The movie makes it pretty clear Winston is just a hollow, charismatic empty suit and Evelyn is the real brains behind the company. All the positive stuff that happens is her agenda. Without her support, Winston has nothing.

I'm not sure the movie does a great job of characterizing Winston beyond "enthusiastic about superheroes." It's never really clear whether his sister's criticism is on-point or motivated by bitterness and jealousy.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 25, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I just rewatched the original Incredibles and, while I'm usually against these kind of things, I would love to see a remastered, reanimated version.

It's still a good movie but there are parts that show the film's age.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

excited for Incredibles 3, where mr incredible learns an important lesson through the assassination of john f kennedy and dash gets sent to fight in the vietnam war

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

u brexit ukip it posted:

Anyone else catch some of the shots that were blatantly put in to showcase their animation skills ? The first movie made a big point of showing flowing hair and fabrics, this one had Elastigirl walking in front of a prism briefly in the Screenslavers' hideout and one of the characters (Violet?) blowdrying her hair.

Yep.

• Locked thread