Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

quote:

”The Metal Gear games are about political fiction and espionage,” he continued. “Where do zombies fit in with that?”

In V where a whole base is zombified in front of you and you fight parasite monsters.

Whether it’s intentional or not, Survive does have some weird similarities with the “void out” after-death scenes in the DS trailer. You’re pretty dead at the beginning of the game and you spend a lot of time in an underwater themed zone, with stuff occasionally swimming above you. (Survive still pretty much sucks though)

I’m extremely hyped for whatever Death Stranding is going to be. I’ve also been loving the “Death Stranding is Metal Gear” conspiracy vids all over YouTube. They’re as nuts as any run-of-the-mill Illuminati conspiracy but about Kojima, it’s win win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Look Sir Droids posted:

BOOKMARKED

My thoughts:

Lea Seydoux is from a competitor or cross-purposes entity to Bridges. Fragile is the name of it. Not an enemy, but same goal different means. That’s why she asks if Sam wants to come work for her.

Lindsay Wagner is Sam’s Mom or wife and he thinks she’s dead, but she’s like lost in time or nanomachines.

I think maybe why there is a Bridges entity and a “working man” Sam Bridges is either timeline fuckery or we are playing past, present, and future. Working man Sam becomes CEO Sam. The themes here may lean more towards corporations rather than the government/military themes of Metal Gear. And the oil type substance suggests some environmentalism.

The glass jar babies have something to do with rationalizing you getting to come back to life if you die. Like being undead in Dark Souls or something. Bet Norman Reedus’s baby is him.

Need more Mads Mikkelson in future content imo.

i think human society is now entirely based around corporations and "sam porter bridges" is his name BECAUSE his name is sam and he is a porter for the bridges organization. lea seydoux is probably named lea fragile express or whatever.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

I hope I can equip many different and unique backpacks like Norman Reedus in the trailer.

kojima did an interview with jordan vogt-roberts at e3 where he talked a little extra about the game. tldr: mario is central to all games and showed him how games can be about catharsis and using a bunch of abilities and jumping and running faster etc. death stranding is the opposite of that and norman reedus can trip on rocks and needs to be aware of his balance at all times

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
its safe to assume the trailer showed walking around with backpacks and norman reedus losing his vehicle and his backpacks because a significant part of the gameplay is about not dropping your poo poo or hurting yourself

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

This is really strange to me because it's not like Survive invented those zombies, there were plenty of missions with them in MGSV.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

superh posted:

In V where a whole base is zombified in front of you and you fight parasite monsters.

Momomo posted:

This is really strange to me because it's not like Survive invented those zombies, there were plenty of missions with them in MGSV.

The MGS series features zombies, and also ghosts, and mechs, and clones, and lots of other crazy poo poo. But it is not about those things. Remove those elements and you still have something recognizable as MGS. Every MGS is fundamentally a political thriller about warring states and ideologies. Remove that element and you no longer have MGS. Metal Gear Survive is about surviving zombies.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Survive is about one of Big Boss' soldiers being sent through time by a secretive intelligence organization to stop the world from being destroyed by rampant nanomachines

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bud, my post was about how MGS is more than its plot. Its military sci-fi setting is not what sets it apart from other games.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lot of fun speculating what this game will be like, can't wait for it. And everything Hideo makes in the future. Hopefully he's still directing at age 72 like hero Lloyd Kaufman. At say three games a decade, we could have about 20 to 30 more Hideo games in his 120 year lifespan.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Added a lot more info by rewatching the official Playstation E3 youtube video with subtitles on

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Buncha photos on Flickr of the game

https://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/albums/72157691853226810/with/40933840450/

Not sure if I can direct link Flickr images, Posters:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/41844821185/in/album-72157691853226810/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/42027257594/in/album-72157691853226810/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/40933840300/in/album-72157691853226810/

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
big reedus
foetus reedus
old reedus

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Your Parents posted:

i think human society is now entirely based around corporations and "sam porter bridges" is his name BECAUSE his name is sam and he is a porter for the bridges organization. lea seydoux is probably named lea fragile express or whatever.

Yeah that was my thinking as well.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The more I read about this game, the less it seems a copy of Metal Gear Survive.

I have seen comments that combat is less important in DS than in older games. That don't fit with a zombies/monsters game, where you would be killing mobs constantly.

DS seems that will have a lot of traveling, MGS had a loot of traveling, but the actual objetives in DS seems that will be different. Don't seems like you are carrying weapons for yourself, but for the settlers. So you will probably have parts of trying to reach a objetive withouth getting void'ed and parts where you would explore objetives. Probably the final of the game had you tryiing to undo this apocalypse or something like that.

I have only played one Kojima game, but I am fan for life.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I know the guy has a name but they're gonna have to say it a lot in the game or else he's just gonna be Norman Reedus. Which is fine, that's honestly a better name than whatever the gently caress boring name he has

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Tei posted:

The more I read about this game, the less it seems a copy of Metal Gear Survive.

I have seen comments that combat is less important in DS than in older games. That don't fit with a zombies/monsters game, where you would be killing mobs constantly.

DS seems that will have a lot of traveling, MGS had a loot of traveling, but the actual objetives in DS seems that will be different. Don't seems like you are carrying weapons for yourself, but for the settlers. So you will probably have parts of trying to reach a objetive withouth getting void'ed and parts where you would explore objetives. Probably the final of the game had you tryiing to undo this apocalypse or something like that.

I have only played one Kojima game, but I am fan for life.

Which game did you play?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Booty Pageant posted:

foetus reedus
That's my band's name.

Man, the E3 trailer was super down-to-earth compared to the previous 3, which is quite a feat considering it opens with baby rear end in a guy's throat.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

CordlessPen posted:

That's my band's name.

Man, the E3 trailer was super down-to-earth compared to the previous 3, which is quite a feat considering it opens with baby rear end in a guy's throat.

It’s not a throat. It’s an umbilical cord. :frog:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

superh posted:

I’m extremely hyped for whatever Death Stranding is going to be. I’ve also been loving the “Death Stranding is Metal Gear” conspiracy vids all over YouTube. They’re as nuts as any run-of-the-mill Illuminati conspiracy but about Kojima, it’s win win!

I can't recommend any online videos more than death stranding theories. They are formatted and presented in the same terrifying way as any other conspiracy video, but they're about metal gear and they loving own.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Look Sir Droids posted:

It’s not a throat. It’s an umbilical cord. :frog:

I could have sworn it was almost the same shot as in the 3rd trailer, where they pull the camera back and out of Reedus' throat.

Either way, poo poo's hosed up.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Which game did you play?

Metal Gear Solid V. I know is not a fan favorite, but to me is many masterpieces stiched together in a single game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Death Stranding is going to own because Kojima is an industry vet who knows exactly what game needs to be fun and satisfying to play (also evidenced by the fact that he outsourced MGR to none other than PlatinumGames)

He has earned enough goodwill throughout the years for me to trust blindly at whatever he decides to make

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 14, 2018

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Even if Death Stranding turns out to be a steaming pile of horseshit it will at least be an interesting steaming pile of horseshit which is more than can be said for a lot of AAA games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As it turns out Death Stranding's development was the ARG all along and the whole project was an elaborate ploy for Kojima to make Mads Mikkelsen and Lea Seydoux be his friends.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i want the good graphics and the good camera angles with weird stuff in them, that's enough for me.

but also every kojima game I've played has had good gameplay so this probably will too. we'll see!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If there's one thing you can rely on Kojima for, it's great loving gameplay. Also wacky poo poo. This is going to be good.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I just want good game. However, after a combo of the new E3 flick and that one interview on how the game is supposed to be played...

... I might have to pass. It seems too focused on being a walking simulator.

I suppose the fact the previous two games shown before DS had pretty lengthy stealthing contributed to my apathy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

widespread posted:

I just want good game. However, after a combo of the new E3 flick and that one interview on how the game is supposed to be played...

I suppose the fact the previous two games shown before DS had pretty lengthy stealthing contributed to my apathy.

It's clearly a stealth action game.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

As it turns out Death Stranding's development was the ARG all along and the whole project was an elaborate ploy for Kojima to make Mads Mikkelsen and Lea Seydoux be his friends.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

widespread posted:

I don’t think you can draw any conclusions on what the core gameplay will be from that trailer. Definitely not to the point you’ve decided it’s a walking sim. That’s like watching the first TPP trailer and being certain the entire game is Big Boss riding a horse.

Just bc it has walking in it doesn’t make it a walking sim.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Your Parents posted:

kojima did an interview with jordan vogt-roberts at e3 where he talked a little extra about the game. tldr: mario is central to all games and showed him how games can be about catharsis and using a bunch of abilities and jumping and running faster etc. death stranding is the opposite of that and norman reedus can trip on rocks and needs to be aware of his balance at all times
That sounds loving awful

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calaveron posted:

That sounds loving awful

You see him stumble because he's got floaty carts tied to him in the trailer. He also teeters with the badybag and there is a dangerous ladder-bridge crossing. I think it might be cool depending on why you're doing it and the pressure that you're under.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's gonna be a $100 million QWOP.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Look Sir Droids posted:

That’s like watching the first TPP trailer and being certain the entire game is Big Boss riding a horse.

Problem was a lot of TPP was just running or riding through vast stretches of empty open world to reach the actual objectives. I am a bit concerned DS might feature the same kind of barren landscapes of TPP where it just becomes a chore to get through in order to get to the interesting parts.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Yea, the interesting thing here, on top everything else, is what we have seen don't look very fun. Is fun to go around with a bow and hunt dinosaurs or zombies or robots. But if you remove the actual hunting, just walking around is not very fun for too long. That would be like No Man Sky with only one planet (and not a fun one).

For DS to work, need some fun gameplay loop we have not figured out yet, has not been show, or don't exists. Even finding what of this 3 ones is the correct will be fun.

If the game end being a FMV + walking simulator thing, it could be interesting. I enjoyed Detroit Become Human way more than Vampyr.

Is just... probably, ... don't preorder just yet :D

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

In It For The Tank posted:

Problem was a lot of TPP was just running or riding through vast stretches of empty open world to reach the actual objectives. I am a bit concerned DS might feature the same kind of barren landscapes of TPP where it just becomes a chore to get through in order to get to the interesting parts.

I have the same concern about big empty spaces, but thats a design not a gameplay issue. Otherwise Skyrim is a walking sim and GTA is a driving sim, etc.

I think what we saw is very unfinished. The segment with Sam sneaking around the floating shades is the only thing that looks like actual gameplay.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 14, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have the same concern about big empty spaces, but thats a design not a gameplay issue. Otherwise Skyrim is a walking sim and GTA is a driving sim, etc.

The walking sim-y bits of Skyrim were the best parts of that game. It was a pretty world to get lost in.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

These landscape shots are incredible. I want DS now but I also wouldn't mind if 4K TVs are way cheap by the time it's released, cuz this might push me to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It looks like Scotland.

• Locked thread