Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Steve Yun posted:

Necklace Stuff

well here's some more infromantion about that. It translates into a musical melody. moer specifically the chorus of the Low Roar song Give Me an Answer. Apparently the song and the music video were created with the game in mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJeOyud7yU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Turns out that the Low Roar thing is a hoax. It’s probably a song, but the melody isn’t actually from Low Roar

Also, someone shared a new Death Stranding gameplay sneak peek in chat thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF6rUaXUJik

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Also, someone shared a new Death Stranding gameplay sneak peek in chat thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF6rUaXUJik

too much stick not enough rope

in the mean time heres a cool new interview
https://variety.com/2018/gaming/features/hideo-kojima-death-stranding-interview-1202858441/

quote:

That secrecy surrounding the game is in part, Kojima said, a reaction to the social, open, publicity-driven world we all live in.

“We live in a time of social networks,” Kojima said. “In this time, people just want immediate answers, but not only answers, they also want to know what they feel. This is good, this is bad. This is a game I should like. This is a game I shouldn’t like. They want answers for what they should think.”

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Booty Pageant posted:

too much stick not enough rope

in the mean time heres a cool new interview
https://variety.com/2018/gaming/features/hideo-kojima-death-stranding-interview-1202858441/

so that interview pretty much puts to rest "the walking simulator fears" (i wouldnt care either way) since he mentions the game will still have the "sticks" (guns) but wants to train players to use the "ropes"

gotta love kojima trying something different with his art knowing 90% of players will just laugh it off/mock/not get it, like mgsv.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 28, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I wonder what the consensus on recent MGS games were on Japanese message boards. Unlike us, Hideo is probably not knee deep in English speaking message boards, so he's gotta be blissfully ignorant of much of this stuff. Though being oldschool and also busy who knows if he's even hearing about posts on the Japanese ones. Phantom Pain got a perfect 40/40 in Famitsu and sold well. I guess he had heard of backlash for the Raiden thing in MGS2 anyway.

On the internet battlefield...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://twitter.com/L1NG_/status/1012877505940709377?s=19

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

so that interview pretty much puts to rest "the walking simulator fears" (i wouldnt care either way) since he mentions the game will still have the "sticks" (guns) but wants to train players to use the "ropes"

gotta love kojima trying something different with his art knowing 90% of players will just laugh it off/mock/not get it, like mgsv.

MGSV is almost the exact opposite of trying something different with his art though?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

MGSV is almost the exact opposite of trying something different with his art though?

MGSV was uniquely a goodbye letter to his fans, and sort of a counterbalance to MGS2. Where MGS2 pulls out the rug on the character’s identity as a prank on the fans (and a way to point his finger at us and accuse us of wanting samey sequels), instead MGSV pulls out the rug on Venom Snake’s identity to tell us we’re responsible for the franchise’s success.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What?

Okay sure whatever. How does the endless filler and go-nowhere plot threads and horrible mishandling of characterization fall into that?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What?

Okay sure whatever. How does the endless filler and go-nowhere plot threads and horrible mishandling of characterization fall into that?

The game had a large part of its content cut by the company. The game’s title is Phantom Pain. The main character is missing a limb. The game is about itself, how it lost a chunk of itself and is struggling with how to deal with it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh okay so just the usual MGSV truther stuff.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh okay so just the usual MGSV truther stuff.

i mean, its on you if you don't want to engage with the text, friend.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The text is 'there is no text' because it's a bad, incomplete game that got pushed out to market over a year earlier than it should've been after endless corporate fuckery and they had to compensate for the endless nothing space where there was nothing interesting to do by throwing endless amounts of filler collect 30 rat asses' or 'blow up 10 identical tanks' missions at you.

Comparing it to literally every other game in the series which had an artistic voice and statement is laughable, as is trying to pretend that the corporate fuckery is part of the statement. It's literally just as much of a joke as the 'oh this is a long con and we're getting act 3' stuff.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

hmmmm a story about a dude with poo poo stuck in his brain loving with his perception of reality in a war without end in which he can no longer tell the difference between each day and he has missing limbs and intentionally incomplete plot threads. i wonder what we could call that game.

we're never getting a chapter 3 because there was never a plan to. kojima said that the game might make him leave the industry and he was referring to intentionally releasing an "incomplete game."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Heavy Metal posted:

I wonder what the consensus on recent MGS games were on Japanese message boards. Unlike us, Hideo is probably not knee deep in English speaking message boards, so he's gotta be blissfully ignorant of much of this stuff. Though being oldschool and also busy who knows if he's even hearing about posts on the Japanese ones. Phantom Pain got a perfect 40/40 in Famitsu and sold well. I guess he had heard of backlash for the Raiden thing in MGS2 anyway.

On the internet battlefield...

Pretty sure Kojima has plenty of English contacts that communicate this stuff to him if its relevant

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The text is 'there is no text' because it's a bad, incomplete game that got pushed out to market over a year earlier than it should've been after endless corporate fuckery and they had to compensate for the endless nothing space where there was nothing interesting to do by throwing endless amounts of filler collect 30 rat asses' or 'blow up 10 identical tanks' missions at you.

Comparing it to literally every other game in the series which had an artistic voice and statement is laughable, as is trying to pretend that the corporate fuckery is part of the statement. It's literally just as much of a joke as the 'oh this is a long con and we're getting act 3' stuff.
Its still text because its a functioning game that got released. Its a bit weird that you're hostile to peoples attempts at reading it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's a bit weird that you're so quick to concoct a narrative based on assumptions that a troubled development equates to a planned plot point.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's a bit weird that you're so quick to concoct a narrative based on assumptions that a troubled development equates to a planned plot point.
I've not done anything other than say that its a text, an idea that you find grossly offensive for some reason.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

No, I'm saying that what you're saying is part of the text is not part of the text at all. What people are doing is implying that the transtextual context of 'the company hosed up and pushed this thing out too early' is a part of the text itself.

I don't think Genette wrote about that kind of thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The game’s title and themes were already set in stone before Konami went stop wasting our goddamn time and money with your loving auteur bullshit you release this loving game now before you bankrupt us and the game gets straight up cancelled
Everything else is post the happenings justification

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No, I'm saying that what you're saying is part of the text is not part of the text at all. What people are doing is implying that the transtextual context of 'the company hosed up and pushed this thing out too early' is a part of the text itself.

I don't think Genette wrote about that kind of thing.

the game would have been a bug riddled mess if the company had actually pushed it out too early.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vikar Jerome posted:

hmmmm a story about a dude with poo poo stuck in his brain loving with his perception of reality in a war without end in which he can no longer tell the difference between each day and he has missing limbs and intentionally incomplete plot threads. i wonder what we could call that game.

we're never getting a chapter 3 because there was never a plan to. kojima said that the game might make him leave the industry and he was referring to intentionally releasing an "incomplete game."

I like that people call a game with 60+ hours of content and three endings "incomplete"

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
What am I saying, I don't like that. That's stupid as hell and I'm tired of hearing people who bitched about mgs 1 through 4 as having too many cutscenes they hated anyway bitch about 5 not having enough.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So when's Silent Hills coming?

I know :smith:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Your Parents posted:

What am I saying, I don't like that. That's stupid as hell and I'm tired of hearing people who bitched about mgs 1 through 4 as having too many cutscenes they hated anyway bitch about 5 not having enough.

MGS 1-4 should've had more cutscenes, I say. I could watch Metal Gear worldbuilding and character interactions from now until the day I die and still love it.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So is this the metal gear 5: cinema discusso thread now

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Real Cool Catfish posted:

So is this the metal gear 5: cinema discusso thread now

thought this was the metal gear zero thread

/s

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd lend more credence to Kojima being insane with his game development again if the re-release of MGS5 hadn't come with a demo of the incomplete assets which made up the final Eli mission and wrapped up every internal plot thread that the game left hanging. And those assets are way too developed to be something cut early.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Calaveron posted:

The game’s title and themes were already set in stone before Konami went stop wasting our goddamn time and money with your loving auteur bullshit you release this loving game now before you bankrupt us and the game gets straight up cancelled
Everything else is post the happenings justification

What makes you think they were wasting time and money

This discussion is making me want to play MGSV. I still think its the most fun in totaI hours I've ever had with MGS even if themes in other games had more impact on me.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 30, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
80 million dollar budget and the game was explicitly incomplete

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
They built their own engine for the game. It’s not your typical 80 million dollar game, if that number is accurate.

Also wasted money on Keifer and Troy.

Still the most enjoyable MGS game to play, controls wise, regardless of how complete or incomplete it is and whether it was intentional.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 30, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Calaveron posted:

80 million dollar budget and the game was explicitly incomplete

Still ended up the best reviewed new game of 2015

That’s like a boxer with one arm and one eye winning a belt

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I'd lend more credence to Kojima being insane with his game development again if the re-release of MGS5 hadn't come with a demo of the incomplete assets which made up the final Eli mission and wrapped up every internal plot thread that the game left hanging. And those assets are way too developed to be something cut early.

i reckon that's more to do with konami not letting him cancel the ps3/360 versions and that whole mission just working well at all with that hardware. from what i've heard/read/seen it was gonna be a culmination of all your assets and soldiers built up by that point or something.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Crosspost from the more active Metal Gear thread - Kojima is pokeballing his fave directors into his game and caught a wild Edgar

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1033929634247659525?s=21

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm excited. Also pretty randomly, one of my fav filmmakers Lloyd Kaufman (Troma - Toxic Avenger guy) just gave props to Hideo on twitter today. I don't know if Lloyd is into video games, or just digs Hideo's style. But he's right as always. Hideo should put him in the game, I mean hey he's in Guardians of the Galaxy, and Gamer. He's the Stan Lee of splatter movies.

Edger is cool also, man Baby Driver rocked.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Edgar seems like a genuinely great guy. I went to a double feature of Baby Driver and Driver where Wright hosted a q&a with Driver director Walter Hill. Wright was extremely reverential of Hill and other directors, is a fountain of movie trivia knowledge and just overflowing with enthusiasm for movies in general. Just a really positive guy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
making a bad incomplete game on purpose doesn't change the fact that it's a bad incomplete game

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Edgar seems like a genuinely great guy. I went to a double feature of Baby Driver and Driver where Wright hosted a q&a with Driver director Walter Hill. Wright was extremely reverential of Hill and other directors, is a fountain of movie trivia knowledge and just overflowing with enthusiasm for movies in general. Just a really positive guy.

He’s fuckin dope. I went to a triple bill of Shaun, Fuzz, and Scott Pilgrim where he did a Q&A between each film and it’s the best time I’ve ever had at the movies. He’s also constantly trying to get exposure on lesser known films, like when he did months of programming at the New Beverly (which I’m guessing is where you saw your double bill). I’m hyped for Death Stranding just to see how many wacky cameos are in it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Naw it was at the Egyptian for Beyondfest. You should check it out, it’s every February and it’s an amazing mix of old cult classics and genre premieres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/conanobrien/status/1038250201553592321?s=21

• Locked thread