Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Justin Wilson thing is so goddamn frustrating because you know if he hadn't cost the team Candelario and Paredes and thus had to desperately justify his value, he'd have gotten the boot long ago.

It's also a shame that Joe is a pigheaded stubborn idiot jackass who just had to "prove" to everybody that bringing Wilson in against the Dodgers last week was actually a good decision by doing it again, despite it making no sense in terms of where the Dodgers lineup was at that moment. So of course he gives up what is ultimately the winning run, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don't know what the gently caress happened to Wilson because on June 13th he had a 2.20 ERA, but the last 3 games, 2.2 IP, he has given up 4 runs, and two of those games the run(s) cost the Cubs the game. I was actually liking this year's Justin Wilson up until last week.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maddon was trying to rebuild Wilsons confidence to start the year by putting him into low pressure situations against weak hitting. It worked for a time but once he started to use him in more critical situations he blew up again.

From now on Wilson needs to be relegated to garbage time mop up duty only, he was a bust of a trade and it's time to just accept that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

From now on Wilson needs to be relegated to garbage time mop up duty only, he was a bust of a trade and it's time to just accept that.

:emptyquote:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Now Bryant's on the DL. :negative:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I was reading through old Facebook posts last night deleting crap from college. Came across one cubs posting about the June swoon in 2016. I also remember meeting some yuppy from SF being all smug about it. Sure showed that jackass.

It'll be ok friends.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Maples and Bote are up! Bote's been killing it in AAA since his big league stint.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Maples has also cut down on the walks significantly over the last month and a half or so which if sustainable at the MLB level would make him insanely elite. 100mph fastball + an insane wipeaway slider is the stuff legendary closers are made of, he just needs to know what zipcode they're going end up in when he throws.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Remind me to make the GDT next week be “the great Chicago strandjob.”

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Maples has also cut down on the walks significantly over the last month and a half or so which if sustainable at the MLB level would make him insanely elite. 100mph fastball + an insane wipeaway slider is the stuff legendary closers are made of, he just needs to know what zipcode they're going end up in when he throws.

We've been waiting 7 years for Maples to become a successful Major League pitcher (he was in the final draft under the Hendry-led front office). I really hope he works out.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

I was reading through old Facebook posts last night deleting crap from college. Came across one cubs posting about the June swoon in 2016. I also remember meeting some yuppy from SF being all smug about it. Sure showed that jackass.

It'll be ok friends.

Are we playing Seattle anytime soon? That was definitively the series in 2016 that turned the swoon around.

This game was so great. :allears:

Haha I forgot it was Cishek that we roughed up in the 9th.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Lester got the winning RBI on that with a bunt. And people want to have the DH in both leagues.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Javy has a 3.167 OPS in 6 career PAs against Ross Stripling.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Darvish is my favorite. I think he will work things out and help the Cubs win more rings/flags forever. That said Twitter hot take...
https://twitter.com/sunnryz/status/1012105353201442816?s=19

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/1012214351678197760

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:smith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ScottyJSno posted:

Darvish is my favorite. I think he will work things out and help the Cubs win more rings/flags forever. That said Twitter hot take...
https://twitter.com/sunnryz/status/1012105353201442816?s=19

it owns that no one in media can make a decent living except for dumb rear end hot take dinosaurs from the 80s who are inexplicably still published

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Derrick Rose was good at one point for Chicago though, so not sure where he is going with this.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/javy23baez/status/1012728893462204417?s=21

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/TonyAndracki23/status/1012755807782473730?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I legitimately forgot about Eddie Butler :lol:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Ah poo poo me too

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Are we playing Seattle anytime soon? That was definitively the series in 2016 that turned the swoon around.

This game was so great. :allears:

Haha I forgot it was Cishek that we roughed up in the 9th.

No I believe not. I always check because Cubs@Ms is an excuse to visit Seattle.

That was the Lester bunt walk off wasn't it?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

No I believe not. I always check because Cubs@Ms is an excuse to visit Seattle.

That was the Lester bunt walk off wasn't it?

and wasn't it the Travis Wood in the Ivy, ill-fated Brian Matusz game or are all of those running into each other?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

My kingdom for Justin Wilson to stop sucking rear end

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is this the last year we have Wilson? It'll be nice to stop pretending he'll turn it around and feeling obligated to trot him out there because of his high cost.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Is this the last year we have Wilson? It'll be nice to stop pretending he'll turn it around and feeling obligated to trot him out there because of his high cost.

Yep, he's a UFA at the end of this season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yep, he's a UFA at the end of this season.

Watch the Cubs resign him to a 4 year deal because Joe likes his stuff.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We have so many solid AAA guys, he'd better not

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
What was with the odd start time today? I don't know if I can remember the last 4 pm start time at Wrigley.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Your Taint posted:

What was with the odd start time today? I don't know if I can remember the last 4 pm start time at Wrigley.

3:05 starts are common at Wrigley on Fridays. I'm guessing they just wanted a little extra time since they had to travel from LA yesterday, so they made it 4:05. It was planned from the beginning of the season, so it's not like they changed it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also the City and Alderman Tunney hate the cubs with a burning passion so they refuse to even consider lifting the restriction that the Cubs can't play night games on Fridays.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

they got engaged in April

baby born in June

:thinking:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ein cooler Typ posted:

they got engaged in April

baby born in June

:thinking:

who gives a gently caress?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sex before marriage????

I hope Mr. Ricketts DFA's this sinful man!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Cubs are on an absolute offensive tear lately (minus the Reds) and it's mostly without Rizzo/Bryant.

Once those two are back to their regular form this teams offense is gonna be bonkers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

The Cubs are on an absolute offensive tear lately (minus the Reds) and it's mostly without Rizzo/Bryant.

Once those two are back to their regular form this teams offense is gonna be bonkers.

Or just Bryant will be bonkers.

Such is the way.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Apparently after the Reds sweep Chili called a hitters-only team meeting and tore into everybody for being selfish jackasses trying to only hit home runs and told them to just put the ball in play and leave it to the next guy. I'd say so far it's born fruit.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sydin posted:

Apparently after the Reds sweep Chili called a hitters-only team meeting and tore into everybody for being selfish jackasses trying to only hit home runs and told them to just put the ball in play and leave it to the next guy. I'd say so far it's born fruit.

Good thing he didn't tell Lester not to hit home runs.

It's crazy to me to see that the Cubs are a top 5 pitching team by like every stat out there, but it feels like everyone except Lester and Morrow are on the verge of giving up 5 runs every time they get on the mound.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's going on with Rizzo this year, other than just not being very good? I haven't really had time to dig into it and I am surprised I haven't seen 100 articles analyzing the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

What's going on with Rizzo this year, other than just not being very good? I haven't really had time to dig into it and I am surprised I haven't seen 100 articles analyzing the situation.

There's a bit of babip happening (.249 vs a career of .284) which can probably be attributed to how much he is shifted. Weirdly, his softly-hit ball% is down this season and he's hitting more line drives and fewer ground balls. His HR/FB is below career averages too despite the ball being juiced. He'll probably regress a bit positively.

• Locked thread