Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
It might be the nostalgia glasses, but I kinda miss Wade Davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Davis this year: 4.41/4.34/4.35 ERA/FIP/xFIP, 5 BB/9, 4 blown saves, decreasing velocity across the board

Morrow this year: 1.46/2.83/3.29 ERA/FIP/xFIP, 3 BB/9, 1 blown save, increasing velocity across the board

You don't miss Wade Davis.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, I was going to ask why. Davis is in Colorado, so some of his stats are probably skewed, but I think Morrow is doing better than Davis was doing last year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

There's a bit of babip happening (.249 vs a career of .284) which can probably be attributed to how much he is shifted. Weirdly, his softly-hit ball% is down this season and he's hitting more line drives and fewer ground balls. His HR/FB is below career averages too despite the ball being juiced. He'll probably regress a bit positively.

I always like to see HR/FB ratio out of whack when a player isn't doing well, so that makes me feel better.

I noticed a while back that Arietta and Darvish were both way out of line with their career HR/FB ratios. Arietta is already regressing (his rate was practically nothing earlier in the year) and I hope the same happens with Darvish.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I was going to ask why. Davis is in Colorado, so some of his stats are probably skewed, but I think Morrow is doing better than Davis was doing last year.

Davis was pretty lights-out last year. The first homer he surrendered was in the All-Star Game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We are 23-21 on the road with a +61 run differential. Funny how being 1-9 in one-run games on the road can just kill you.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I didn’t realize how much Davis regressed since going to Colorado. I just remembered how good he was last year with like 30 odd saves in a row. What is it with players slumping almost right after leaving the Cubs? (Fowler, Davis, Arrietta to name off the top of my head)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm glad Rondon has been successful in Houston so far.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

I didn’t realize how much Davis regressed since going to Colorado. I just remembered how good he was last year with like 30 odd saves in a row. What is it with players slumping almost right after leaving the Cubs? (Fowler, Davis, Arrietta to name off the top of my head)

Jake is more or less the exact same guy he was last year except he's traded some strikeouts for ground balls:

2017 with the Cubs: 3.53/4.16/4.11, 8 K/9, 3 BB/9, 45% GB rate
2018 with the Phils: 3.54/4.13/4.18, 6 K/9, 3 BB/9, 56% GB rate

The ERA/FIP/xFIP lines are almost eerily identical. If anything he's actually improved a bit with the Phils as his velo climbed up a bit and he's somewhat regained a feel for his slider after completely losing it in 2017. I'd definitely take him over Yu right now. :sigh:

Poque posted:

I'm glad Rondon has been successful in Houston so far.

I'm annoyed we let him walk to penny pinch. He was sidelined by injury a lot in 2016/17 but when he was healthy he was always elite. Imagine how good the bullpen would be with Morrow, Edwards, Strop, Cishek, Rondon.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I’d for sure take a slightly broken Rondon over Justin loving Wilson.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Jon Lester named NL Pitcher of the Month for June. :toot:

I know he's been doing well but holy poo poo his June: 5-0 32 IP 1.13 ERA 0.84 WHIP .115 BAA :stare:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol Lester gonna win a Cy Young at age 34.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

I'm annoyed we let him walk to penny pinch. He was sidelined by injury a lot in 2016/17 but when he was healthy he was always elite. Imagine how good the bullpen would be with Morrow, Edwards, Strop, Cishek, Rondon.

Yea, but that means you're also taking chances on a pitcher with known injury issues, and had struggled for two years in a row.

At the time of the signing, I thought they made the right move going with Darvish over Arrieta. Now I just hope for Darvish to pitch again before the end of August.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It feels like the monkey’s paw got us when the Cubs got Darvish. “Oh, you want a decent starter? *curls* Well he’s gonna be on the DL for half the season.”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If Darvish comes back after the ASB and pitches like he did in the late half of 2017 for the Dodgers (not counting the post sesaon :v:) I'd be absolutely thrilled. I'm still worried that he's going to pitch like he did at the start of the season. I'll take injured a lot but really good when not over, say, Chatwood.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Baez back to tied for first in NL in RBIs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Baez should be winning the All Star vote. He's already at 3.0 WAR on the season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Jon Lester named NL Pitcher of the Month for June. :toot:

I know he's been doing well but holy poo poo his June: 5-0 32 IP 1.13 ERA 0.84 WHIP .115 BAA :stare:

He owns and I'm gonna continue to blissfully ignore his FIP

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Popete posted:

Baez should be winning the All Star vote. He's already at 3.0 WAR on the season.

I’ve also been writing in Almora

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Miz Kriss posted:

I’ve also been writing in Almora

:same:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I write in Brett Favre for everything

all star ballots, presidential elections, whatever

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

This is bad

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

arrest this man

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
All ten of our regular starting bats have an OPS+ over 100 now.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1014131693974892544?s=21 This shirt is ugly as gently caress but I kinda want it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

All of the dumb promo stuff would be fine if you didn't have to go around wearing NBC sports logos all over it. Also, that is a weird promo since I don't think the Cubs are ever on NBC in any format.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

All of the dumb promo stuff would be fine if you didn't have to go around wearing NBC sports logos all over it. Also, that is a weird promo since I don't think the Cubs are ever on NBC in any format.

NBC Sports Chicago is the new branding of Comcast Sports Net

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
5 wins in a row despite our starters having a 6.39 ERA and 1.97 WHIP in their 25.1 IP during that span. :stonklol:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

today was a very nice day to go to a baseball game and see a schwarbomb and numerous TOOTBLANs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please fix whatever is wrong with my fellow mathlete kyle hendricks

e: anyone know what's the deal with morrow and why strop closed?

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 4, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

today was a very nice day to go to a baseball game and see a schwarbomb and numerous TOOTBLANs

You gotta hit me up when you go to weekday day games boyeeeee

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

He was on the DL because of his back and the team is taking it pretty slow with him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1014261108956389376

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sorry was busy at work to post: yay go Cubs. How about a round of gently caress the closer tomorrow so morrow can chill another day?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
DL Updates!

Bryant:
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1014551199129964547
https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/1014549310212538368

:smith:

Darvish:
https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/1014549614534504449
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1014550529991733248

:smithicide:

Edwards is expected to return Friday :unsmith:

Butler gave up four runs on five hits in just 1.1 IP in his second rehab start at AAA. :shrug:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Oh no Darvish and Bryant :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1014522724503445505?s=21

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hi, please vote

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1014886721044049923

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Contreras pulled ahead! :woop:

Also wow Baez made up a ton of his deficit. Wasn't he behind by like 500k just a few days ago?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Contreras pulled ahead! :woop:

Also wow Baez made up a ton of his deficit. Wasn't he behind by like 500k just a few days ago?

about 270k

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1013823345962504193

We had voting booths in the plaza during the past two games against the Tigers, and those games were VERY well-attended. It'd be nice if we had another game today, but c'est la vie.

e: I'm really curious how Almora is doing with write-ins. I'll ask around and see if I can find out.

Poque fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In other news Darvish has been pushed back to "late July", which probably means he has to start his rehab from scratch. :suicide:

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/1014863505252651009

• Locked thread