Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you type via the homerow method?
Yes, it is very helpful
No, I do not
I only type by mashing my face on the keyboard at sheer random
How Goku types
View Results

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It's not exactly home row but for the most part it's pretty similar. basically evolved hunt and peck that uses most of my fingers in a similar fashion as homerow. Execpt for my right hand I guess i mostly just use the index and thumb on that one for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

World War Mammories posted:

come at me and my superior homerow technique :smuggo:

drat son. I was 84, but I guess that's what I get for really only using half of my right hand.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't think you can get any real typing speed without using the homerow, or something like it (with alternate keyboard layouts).

Isn't there some lovely flash Versus typing game where we can settle this like gentlemen?

Quick google around suggests that for jobs that actually care about wpm 50-80 is usually good enough and even for jobs that like need to you be real fast 80-95 is generally the threshold.

so you can certainly get there without home row.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

COMRADES posted:

If you're used to a certain method you're not thinking about it though. It's the hunt and peck people who put more thought in than required because they don't know where 99% of the keyboard is just by muscle memory.

Anyway the system being discussed is more or less a way to minimize wrist movement as much as possible so imo you're tacitly supporting it without realizing it.

I don't think it is important to have a strict system though sure. As long as it works for you. Hunt and peck isn't anything though it's just someone in need of practice.

I think people talking about a natural method that came from hunt and peck do have they keyboard memorized they don't just really use all their fingers as efficiently as possible. Home row would certainly be better than what I do now but mid 80's wpm is already p fast and would be fine for p much any typing related job.

• Locked thread