Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the only graphic option they've added is being able to turn off the vignette :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Your Computer posted:

:woop::woop::woop:

e: it's taking a long time to download, either it's a sizable download or my internet is screwing up

It’s probably just the eshop. Regardless of size, downloads always take forever for me on the Switch. Mega Man Collection 1 is a tiny file and still took like 10 min to download despite my 100 mbps+ internet speeds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm gonna start with Cyrus because being a scholar appeals to me, a mega-nerd.

I really want to know how the story is structured. The way it sounds is that there is no central "main" story but just eight character-specific stories that you can do all on one save file by recruiting everyone, which seems pretty cool. I wonder if there's an overall "ending" that happens when you finish everyone's story or something. I remember SaGa Frontier had like a final little epilogue if you finished all seven characters' stories.

I suppose I could wait until I get home to check, but it sounds like that's 3 hours per save file, right? So you could make multiple saves to try out multiple characters and you'll just have to stop that save file at the 3 hour mark?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sounds like it but then don’t you only carry over 1/8 of them ?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gonna start either Alfyn because i'm most interested in how the apothecary theme plays out in battle or Ophilia because her starting area looks the prettiest.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

H’aanit because she is tough.

I am disappointed they didn’t include the option to turn off the effects in the demo, I would have liked to experiment with that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't even want my save data to carry over if it's not going to be out for another month. Better to just start over so it's fresh in your mind.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't even want my save data to carry over if it's not going to be out for another month. Better to just start over so it's fresh in your mind.

That is kind of where I'm at right now, I'm curious about the game but I feel like the demo could potentially either turn me off or derail me from Day Oneing it even though I very much want to.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's probably how it'll work. I guess you could play the demo over and over and get as far as possible in the 3 hours allotted on your favorite character :v:

Wendell posted:

I am disappointed they didn’t include the option to turn off the effects in the demo, I would have liked to experiment with that.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if turning off the vignette is the only graphic option. The demo seems like a final build.

Also I like the HD-2D so much I re-imagined this timeless classic using the same techniques

(fwiw I do think the game looks better than the first demo though, and at least being able to turn off the vignette is something :shobon:)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 14, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like the vignette. It makes everything look tiny like a tilt shift lens.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah, but you'd know the game for the other characters' areas and be able to get through them more quickly in the main game I guess? :shrug:

I'll probably try out a couple of the other 6 units and then decide who I want to have as my 'main' when the full game releases and start over. The stealing system in this, using enemy HP % and boosting your success with more BP, will hopefully mean stealing won't be too awful like it is in some other games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like the vignette. It makes everything look tiny like a tilt shift lens.
I think that's more due to the tilt shift blur (which you can't turn off) than the vignette :v:

also if this demo really lets you spend 3 hours per character then dang, I'll probably spend like... 24 hours playing this demo.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

They caught me playing the last demo for 15 hours.

Rasamune posted:

I just hope they don't do any weird poo poo this time

'cause like, the first half of Bravely Default is awesome. 10/10, zero caveats

And then they start doing the weird poo poo

The real question is, is the weird poo poo a Bravely Default thing or is it a Silicon Studios thing?

The answer is it’s gonna turn out to be a Silicon Studios thing and I’m glad.

Like the reveal will be that all 8 characters are just controlled by a hive mind of psychic mollusks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

Like the reveal will be that all 8 characters are just controlled by a hive mind of psychic mollusks.

that's not a nice thing to call us

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Your Computer posted:

that's not a nice thing to call us

The comes a day when we must all ask ourselves, “Am a squid, or am I a kid?”

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In aweth at the sizeth of the ladeth of H'aanit's bosseth, absolute uniteth.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
The demo sucked me in, and I'm pretty hyped for a meaty jrpg. I never played any of the Bravely games but they sounds like my jam

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They're currently playing Octopath at the Treehouse stream with a full party, showing off different skills and classes and random encounters can be real beefy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely hyped for the full game :toot:

It looks like the character stories/prologues are probably not as big of a deal as I previously thought? All of the characters start very close to each other (like a 2 minute walk) and when you meet a new party member you get the option to play their prologue. I'm guessing you spend the first few hours of the game just gathering up everyone and then the real story begins.

also the map is pretty huge and there's fast travel. Kind of disappointed that there's no world map though, just interconnected and pretty straightforward maps.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm curious how playing the different prologues will work. Will levels carry over? Could you hypothetically play all 8 prologues and then start the game at level 40?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You only have 3 hours, so no, you can not. You can delete the save and try to speedrun to get as much done as possible if you really wanted to.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I played H’aanit.

Pros: H’aanit is a blast to play as a character, she does so much and it all feels so good. Her area is absolutely gorgeous.

Cons: Thatte dialogggue is ridikulusse and I doe wonder what the fucketh the localization teame was thinkithing

I’m curious about goon reviews for other characters, particularly Tressa, who I thought about playing but didn’t.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Terper posted:

You only have 3 hours, so no, you can not. You can delete the save and try to speedrun to get as much done as possible if you really wanted to.

Well yeah I mean in the full game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh. Well, we don't really know how the game is structured, but going by how the demo is built, going around and recruiting all the characters seems to be sort of a "prologue" section to the entire game, and the real thing starts once you've recruited everyone, so I'd say it is more expected that you do that.

But that's just :speculate:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Well they are calling it the prologue demo.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I started with Primrose because I wanted to notice changes more immediately by seeing something I have before and oof her initial state ate some nerfs from the original demo, but it looks like they rebalanced the actual stuff she has to do in line with that so it's for the best.

I noticed that you can no longer boost the defend command. I'm not sure if it was actually doing anything when I tried that in the old demo and if the answer is no I am glad they took away my "waste bp" button.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All the characters, in addition to their path action, have a specific Talent. Olberic's is the ability to Boost your Defend command.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Terper posted:

Oh. Well, we don't really know how the game is structured, but going by how the demo is built, going around and recruiting all the characters seems to be sort of a "prologue" section to the entire game, and the real thing starts once you've recruited everyone, so I'd say it is more expected that you do that.

But that's just :speculate:

Oh, I thought it was going to be structured like SaGa games.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Ahh okay.

They changed up Primrose's first boss fight a bit but I think it's for the better. Also I seem to recall in the old demo gaining a BP every turn regardless of whether or not you boosted the turn before, but notice that is not the case here. Am I misremembering?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

"Tressa is really cute."
I agree!

just noticed this new image in the OP :kimchi:

DalaranJ posted:

I don't know how the SaGa games are structured, but I assume each character has their own main quest? Like I said in my previous post it looks like the character quests in this game are pretty short introductions and then you're supposed to gather everyone else. All the characters start like 2 minutes away from each other and when you meet them you get to do their prologue.

It's still weird to me that they haven't said anything about the main quest, but it looks like you'll gather all 8 characters and then the main story begins.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 14, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

It seems like it's sort of like the SaGa games but you can do everything on one save file. It's like if the seven main characters in SaGa Frontier were all the recruitable characters and you could do all of their storylines concurrently, just sort of weaving them all together.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They've intentionally been very tight-lipped about everything regarding the game's main story. As you progress through the prologues of the different characters, you can definitely pick up on the threads that connect them all (Cyrus and Primrose, H'aanit, Alfyn, and Tressa, etc.) that will eventually blossom into the main storyline.

But again, we have surprisingly little knowledge about the game, which is a weird mix of exciting and worrying that I don't really get from many games nowadays. You can always pick up on a lot of details from trailers and the the story outlines for other games, but despite all we've seen I have really no idea what the game will be about other than "YOUR ADVENTURE :toot:"

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I haven’t even touched the demo and I’m having character paralysis cause I don’t know who I want to start with. I was going to go Primrose, but Teressa is adorable as hell and Alfyn’s unique action sounds cool to get backstories of random NPC’s. I’m spoilt for choice but I’m teetering between Primrose and Teressa and I don’t know what to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and hey maybe I'm wrong and there straight up isn't a main story at all :pram:

that said, the characters have motivations but they don't really seem big enough to support being the main focus.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Primrose's story is MATURE, Tressa is a bundle of joy and happiness. Do you want something that'll make you go "ew no don't" or "haha yay :classiclol:"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tressa has a very good motivation I will say.

Why yes, I would like to see the world and find treasures :kimchi:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Terper posted:

Primrose's story is MATURE, Tressa is a bundle of joy and happiness. Do you want something that'll make you go "ew no don't" or "haha yay :classiclol:"

When you put it that way, as much as I “enjoy” mature stories, sometimes I just want to have fun and lead a cute merchant girl on fantastic adventures.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Just started with Tressa and she’s absolutely adorable and her mother, Marina, has the best voice/accent. I’ve clearly made the best decision :allears: