Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I mean other than me

Recently I was chatting with my friend Steve and I found it he’s a total loving idiot. I’ve known him for years and see him like once a week and just now I’m realizing he may be retarded. We never really debate anything or talk about politics or science or religion or any of that poo poo when we see each other. When it came up the other day it felt like I was conversing with a brick wall.

He insisted that science can’t be trusted because “you’re just believing what someone told you”, which sounds sort of smart until you realize that by the very definition of science you should only believe things that can be proven by a repeatable experiment. Any time I tried to explain this he would start a tangent, saying outlandish bullshit like “how can you sit there and tell me about life when you can’t even explain a soul?” “But Steve, a soul is not a real thi-“ “Who’s to say what is even real? Am I real? Are you real? How could you even know?” Ok Jaden Smith!

Where I sort of had to back out of the conversation was when I tried to explain how you could prove gravity existed and varied by doing a repeatable experiment on earth and then on the moon to show that the gravitational pull changes. He tells me there’s no real way to know since I have never been to the moon myself. I try and tell him that it’s a thought experiment and that knowing fundamentals of science (which he clearly does not) means we can calculate exactly how gravity differs on the moon, or extrapolate an inference on things like “if I punch myself in the balls on the moon it will hurt just as much as if I punched my balls on earth”, since we know how pain receptors work and know that gravity or generally the atmosphere has no effect on those things. Of course he tells me there’s no possible way we could know because we both have never been to the moon.

So tell me about the morons in your life and their ridiculously stupid beliefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly your friend sounds above average if he was able to do anything more than stare at you while drooling. Most Americans can't even do more than just look angry while stuttering out some nonsensical bullshit because they never do more than nod at some other moron on TV preaching whatever worldview they're oriented towards.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you freak out over conspiracies I would love to tell you about my spidey-sense. In that I am bat-man.

Hiyo!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

A guy on my rugby team in college was convinced that jerking off burned like a ton of calories for some reason. I think he read it on a bodybuilding forum or something, but he would religiously go back to his dorm after a workout or practice to jerk off because he 100% believed that was why he never got fat.

He also loved to dip oreos in dijon mustard but I think that was because he got his head bashed in a bunch on the turf

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Sounds like people are hanging out with some real dummies and should try to find better friends.

Also, how are people able to build friendships with people with no substantive conversation?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"do girls hug multiple times?"

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

My mom believes in homeopathy and is an anti-vaxxer. I don't ask her for life advice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seriously though, it was a woman I know who tried to make S'mores by putting the component parts on a paper plate which she held directly over an open flame. The fire burned the plate and the graham cracker and chocolate and whatever fell into the fire. Then she repeated this action, as if the fire burning the paper plate had been some kind of unexpected, once-in-a-lifetime outcome.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Pick posted:

Seriously though, it was a woman I know who tried to make S'mores by putting the component parts on a paper plate which she held directly over an open flame. The fire burned the plate and the graham cracker and chocolate and whatever fell into the fire. Then she repeated this action, as if the fire burning the paper plate had been some kind of unexpected, once-in-a-lifetime outcome.

:roflolmao:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I had a manager who thought Paris and France were separate countries. Explaining to her that Paris is a city inside France was...uh, shockingly hard.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
A friend of mine refuses to believe that Pangaea was a thing and thinks the continents have always been separated by ocean.

Kak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 14, 2018

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Used to work with a guy who got all of his life advice and outlook from Southpark. He stopped using facebook for years after that one episode. He stopped going to the subway on his street because "brown people" work there and he is 100% convinced the reason his toppings all fall out of the sandwich is because "brown people" don't know how to work with leavened bread as they are an exclusively flatbread kind of folk.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i knew some guy that was going to be given mod of this very forum but couldnt keep his mouth shut and subsequently lost his mind

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i knew an aspiring music student who didn’t believe pizzicato was a real thing. hundreds of years of bowed instruments and no one ever thought “what if i just use my finger”

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Love Rat posted:

Also, how are people able to build friendships with people with no substantive conversation?

i believe the technical term for that is "marriage" :smug:

cnut
May 3, 2016

Caganer posted:

i believe the technical term for that is "marriage" :smug:

:hmmyes:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My cousin eats bananas with a fork

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Got a friend who lives in his parent's basement, jobless, probably has a bastard child with a woman who used to be a heroin addict, die-hard libertarian, thousands of dollars in debt despite never going to college, and he's been waiting for his band to get their "big break" despite not having a singer for the past 10 years.

He also sells weed.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

My cousin eats bananas with a fork

Cursed af

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i knew an aspiring music student who didn’t believe pizzicato was a real thing. hundreds of years of bowed instruments and no one ever thought “what if i just use my finger”

for my own sanity i must believe you are exaggerating

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
There is this complete retard who goes by "Windows 98" who consistently thinks he has interesting things to say despite overwhelming feedback otherwise. He looks like a shaved chimp and spews pretentious garbage about vaping and seeing 70mm films to anyone unlucky enough to find themselves in a conversation with him. He got a tattoo on his chest that says "2014 sucked" seriously that's all it says

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

I mean other than me

Recently I was chatting with my friend Steve and I found it he’s a total loving idiot. I’ve known him for years and see him like once a week and just now I’m realizing he may be retarded. We never really debate anything or talk about politics or science or religion or any of that poo poo when we see each other. When it came up the other day it felt like I was conversing with a brick wall.

He insisted that science can’t be trusted because “you’re just believing what someone told you”, which sounds sort of smart until you realize that by the very definition of science you should only believe things that can be proven by a repeatable experiment. Any time I tried to explain this he would start a tangent, saying outlandish bullshit like “how can you sit there and tell me about life when you can’t even explain a soul?” “But Steve, a soul is not a real thi-“ “Who’s to say what is even real? Am I real? Are you real? How could you even know?” Ok Jaden Smith!

Where I sort of had to back out of the conversation was when I tried to explain how you could prove gravity existed and varied by doing a repeatable experiment on earth and then on the moon to show that the gravitational pull changes. He tells me there’s no real way to know since I have never been to the moon myself. I try and tell him that it’s a thought experiment and that knowing fundamentals of science (which he clearly does not) means we can calculate exactly how gravity differs on the moon, or extrapolate an inference on things like “if I punch myself in the balls on the moon it will hurt just as much as if I punched my balls on earth”, since we know how pain receptors work and know that gravity or generally the atmosphere has no effect on those things. Of course he tells me there’s no possible way we could know because we both have never been to the moon.

So tell me about the morons in your life and their ridiculously stupid beliefs
these are actually nubs of active philosophical problems. nominalism vs. realism. mechanism vs. teleology. subjectivism vs. objectivism. mind/body problem. they're just not dressed up properly. WHOSE THE DUMMY NOW?!?!!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A kid in my school called himself the italian scallion. He was italian so he for some reason exclaimed "I'm the italian scallion!"

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Sintax posted:

There is this complete retard who goes by "Windows 98" who consistently thinks he has interesting things to say despite overwhelming feedback otherwise. He looks like a shaved chimp and spews pretentious garbage about vaping and seeing 70mm films to anyone unlucky enough to find themselves in a conversation with him. He got a tattoo on his chest that says "2014 sucked" seriously that's all it says

also he "makes beats" ask him about his "beats" if ur lookin to get your pussy wet

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
My boss prints all emails he receives, and physically highlights every word in the body, as well as the sender, the recipient, and subject line. He will also do this with emails he sends himself.

After highlighting, he will staple all pages of an email together, and then he will paperclip that email together with emails in the same email chain.

Then he will gather stapled groups of emails together, and put them in folders that he will label with one word subject lines.

This typically takes him 3-4 hours a day.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think I ever had someone who I considered a friend who was also dumb as gently caress, but my brother, while not dumb or anything, doesn't like reading and much prefers learning from video content, but lacks the ability to be objective on what kind of document he is watching, so like I had to dispel the myth of the clean wehrmacht to him. Like obviously he is not stupid enough to start believing the holocaust was a myth, but as long as it's in a professional enough looking documentary, he just accepts it as truth.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Love Rat posted:

Friendship is a function of time and trust. Horrifying stupidity or lack of it doesnt have much to do with it.

Your REAL friends are the ones you can trust to have your back in an emergency. The people you otherwise call friends are people you know and like well enough to trust generally. Just sometimes those same people couldnt find their own rear end with two hands, a flashlight, and an assistant.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Creamed Cormp posted:

I don't think I ever had someone who I considered a friend who was also dumb as gently caress, but my brother, while not dumb or anything, doesn't like reading and much prefers learning from video content, but lacks the ability to be objective on what kind of document he is watching, so like I had to dispel the myth of the clean wehrmacht to him. Like obviously he is not stupid enough to start believing the holocaust was a myth, but as long as it's in a professional enough looking documentary, he just accepts it as truth.

Your brother is credulous.

He's in good company. There's a credulous person born every minute.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I post on a forum where everyone is goddamn stupid

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Zane posted:

these are actually nubs of active philosophical problems. nominalism vs. realism. mechanism vs. teleology. subjectivism vs. objectivism. mind/body problem. they're just not dressed up properly. WHOSE THE DUMMY NOW?!?!!

All which can be summarized by "woah, the Matrix was like really deep man... How do we know that we're not all a dream of God or brains in vats?"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
every single person in another car when im driving

i hope they all DIE!!!!

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
I knew a woman who thought that when she wrote a check - a pen-and-paper check, not an electronic transaction or something - that the bank would automatically adjust the account balance to reflect that the check had been written.

She wondered why she kept bouncing checks. "The bank showed there was enough money in the account!"

I feel kind of bad saying this is stupid because in part I see it as a failing of the education system. But it should be obvious that the bank can't know you've written a check until someone cashes/deposits it. Banks don't have psychic powers or ubiquitous surveillance. Yet.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Nathilus posted:

Friendship is a function of time and trust. Horrifying stupidity or lack of it doesnt have much to do with it.

Your REAL friends are the ones you can trust to have your back in an emergency. The people you otherwise call friends are people you know and like well enough to trust generally. Just sometimes those same people couldnt find their own rear end with two hands, a flashlight, and an assistant.

I think I lucked out by developing friendships with people who have my back and are reasonably intelligent. Even the "dumbest" guy I knew had some basic common sense and coherent ideas. We didn't agree on fundamental points, but I could always see where he was coming from. Got to have some standards. I'll just chalk that up to taste, or how I decide who to develop relationships with, I guess.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 14, 2018

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chinatown posted:

every single person in another car when im driving

i hope they all DIE!!!!

everyone does that though

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I think the dumbest thing I've ever seen a person do is snort coffee grounds to see if the coffee would have stimulative effects, resulting in a nosebleed. The same guy was a raging methhead at the time, so...

region25
Apr 30, 2002

deep brain stimulation
I know a guy that fell out of a third story balcony and a guy who went to South America to do ayahuasca, but they're also two of the smartest people I've ever met

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

region25 posted:

I know a guy that fell out of a third story balcony and a guy who went to South America to do ayahuasca, but they're also two of the smartest people I've ever met

There's definitely a difference between doing something stupid and being stupid. Though I fail to see how any of these two things are inherently stupid. How did your friend fall out of the balcony?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's this one guy i know who is so incredibly dumb that he clicked on a w98 thread (it's me)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
We're getting into the smart/"smart" distinction again. A lot of "smart" people aren't smart, and many of the smartest people are just lowkey pragmatic and informed public citizens who don't have a detailed knowledge of... rhibozomes, but just live fulfilling lives with quiet sensibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My coworker is a freakin shovel!!

• Locked thread