Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

Guy at work thought Lego was French, on the basis it was shorthand for 'Le Go...', but didn't know what the full 'Go' word was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Like, example: if you're walking around on a Saturday afternoon in the USA and see a cool car parked in front of someone's house, and you go up and start checking it out and taking pictures, chances are good that the owner will pop out and say "hey! You like my car? Let me tell you about it!" and they'll come out and you can chat about cars for a while and maybe make a new friend.

If you do that exact same thing in Canada, the owner will crack their door open and peek out with the chain still drawn and say "excuse me? Can I help you?"

i'm in vermont and if someone came up to my house and took pictures of my subaru i would definitely be more like 'um can i help you?' than 'yeah check out that boxer engine!'

then again we are fairly close to canada

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

MikeTheCoolOne posted:

Guy at work thought Lego was French, on the basis it was shorthand for 'Le Go...', but didn't know what the full 'Go' word was.

ahaha

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it's named after van gogh, so 'le gogh'

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Every person in every country is probably, on average, fine. :angel:

But the next person who asks me if I know how the metric system works deserves a loving dickpunch. I reserve that right.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

NigelsPoppet posted:

I was at a bonfire once in the woods of rural Georgia, and some random college kid found a bucket of kerosene/gasoline and thought he'd freshen up the fire.

A friend of mine walked up to the kid and decided to try and talk him out of it, walking next to him continuing to speak up until the moment he tipped the can over into the fire and it exploded. They were both burned pretty badly, not sure why my buddy didn't just keep away like I kept saying

In university I knew an utter shithead who, without fail, would bring a full can of petrol to any party with a bonfire and proceed to make an absolute fool of himself. Not quite as bad as just tipping the whole thing in the fire, but he firmly believed that because he understood that was a bad idea, that meant he knew what he was doing and was in control. He genuinely thought he was being clever.

Any attempts to suggest that what he was doing was incredibly dangerous would be dismissed as the worrying of women and inferior men, in that "jokey" way where people pretend to make fun of themselves for holding a belief they're actually proud of. I just stayed as far away from him as possible, it was obvious that the only way he would learn not to do this was by staging a sudden impromptu appearance of The Human Torch.

Within two years of my meeting him, this guy was on a burn ward for horrific burns over most of his torso. I would have been content in the knowledge that an absolute fuckhead had learned a lesson in the only way he knows how, except that in the course of the lesson, his friend nearly lost a hand saving his life.

Apparently the man in the bed next to him was a firefighter who had done exactly the same thing. It seems there's no amount of knowledge and training that can override this kind of stupidity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That might be more pyromania than stupidity. (or both, a fun combination) Ironically, firefighters apparently have a much higher than average tendency to be pyromaniacs.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

Yeah I'm absolutely sure that firefighter was a pyromaniac. This guy didn't strike me as one, he didn't seem that interested outside of this one "party trick" he did a couple of times a year. It seemed more like an attempt to prove he was the number one manly man by putting himself in charge of the fire and then making in dangerous to stand within ten feet of it. Also I talked to him outside of a fire-based context a few times, he was definitely a smug idiot.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A girl at my work is aggressively unaware of how lovely the current administration is, and thinks Fox News is a valid source of information.

Fox was showing on one of the TVs at work and they were interviewing a man with "former Obama administration official" next to his nametag and I knew instantly that he was going to be the badguy of the interview who was there only to be a strawman representative of the "wrong" side. I casually pointed this out to her and she was like "really? what makes you say that?"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lovely Primate posted:

My weed guy constantly tries to convince me that the moon is, in fact, hollow. "Like an eggshell"

I tried to explain to him about gravity once but as it turns out the earth is flat and gravity isn't real.

Did he get really high while watching Dr. Who and think it was a documentary?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_the_Moon

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I know somebody who is a hardcore libertarian. Or anarchist? I can't keep it straight.

Dude literally believes that government in all forms should be abolished. Private schools, private medicine, private fire department, private militias for policing. "TAXATION IS THEFT!"

He's also an anti-vaxxer. He asked me why I thought kids should have to get vaccinations. I said to prevent people from dying. "Ah, but should we artificially prolong a human's life if they are meant to die?" Yikes.

He's also an irresponsible gun owner. He says that he owns several pistols and assault rifles. He doesn't keep them locked up because that might slow him down in a home invasion scenario. He just had a baby.

At the end of the day though he'll come out on top because his wife's parents are filthy rich. It's awfully easy to be a libertarian when you've got that kind of safety net!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's 100% libertarian. (Anarcho-capitalists believe themselves to be anarchists but in practice and the view of other anarchists are just crypto-fascists)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Libertarians are truly the dumbest people and since their philosophy hinges on the idea that everyone is a rational actor they believe they're right about everything. Every libertarian I've ever met was completely up their own rear end and refused to accept that anything outside their own intuition is correct.

Last time I talked to one I had to breakdown basic chemistry and explain that an element can be used to make something poisonous or inert (he believed in flouride poo poo). He couldn't grasp any of it and this was middle school level stuff.

He just kept going back to the argument that there's no good reason the government would put it in the water so it must be bad and "why should the government care about anyone's health?"

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 25, 2018

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEGGZqAfic

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Antivaxxers are extra dumb because they think vaccinations cause deformities and autism. Like, okay, sure pal, we're all deformed and retarded, unlike you, the guy whose kids are going to have lifelong scarring from measles and a shorter lifespan from typhus.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

phasmid posted:

Antivaxxers are extra dumb because they think vaccinations cause deformities and autism. Like, okay, sure pal, we're all deformed and retarded, unlike you, the guy whose kids are going to have lifelong scarring from measles and a shorter lifespan from typhus.

The entire underlying philosophy is: "If it isn't happening right now (being diseased), it will therefore never happen."

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

MikeTheCoolOne posted:

He's half right. It's actually based on the Danish phrase leg godt, which means "play well".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
so that's what 'leggo my leg godt' means

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Macasaurus posted:

i knew some guy that was going to be given mod of this very forum but couldnt keep his mouth shut and subsequently lost his mind

You only need the first half of this sentence if youre talking about Really Stupid People

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Quote-Unquote posted:

"I have a fifty-fifty chance of winning at chess, because there are only two players"

-- an ex girlfriend who, in hindsight, was incredibly stupid and I should've dumped her much earlier

This is a quality story.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I met a dude at my duel-enrollment welding course at the local trade college when I was in high school. Big redneck who went by the name of Rang. Rang liked to take bets you see, the other students would bet him a quarter that he wouldn't eat a chunk of soapstone. Not one to back down, he would take a big ole' bite of his soapstone stick. You could hear him crunching from across the room, his face one of disgust at the flavor. After we'd all had a good laugh at his expense, we would not give him the quarter.

He would of course, continue to take the bet every couple weeks.

Rang also caught himself on fire after noticing a loose hose on his cutting torch, and deciding it wasn't a big deal.

Last I heard of him he went to Thailand to buy a very specific jacket and was caught in the big Tsunami.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

504 posted:

This is a quality story.

checkers, and mate :smuggo:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

504 posted:

This is a quality story.

similarly, if someone jumps off a building, they have a 50% chance of surviving, because there are only two possibilities: alive or dead.

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

I remember when the Daily Show did a special on the LHC destroying the planet and one of the doomsayers said there was a 50% it would kill us all: either it will happen or it won't happen. I remember John Oliver looking genuinely shocked.

I'd link to it but Comedy Central has apparently never heard of newfangled concepts like YouTube or the UK so I'm not allowed to check to see if I have the right decade-old clip.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Quote-Unquote posted:

"I have a fifty-fifty chance of winning at chess, because there are only two players"

-- an ex girlfriend who, in hindsight, was incredibly stupid and I should've dumped her much earlier

Are you sure you weren't accidentally dating Scot Steiner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

similarly, if someone jumps off a building, they have a 50% chance of surviving, because there are only two possibilities: alive or dead.

I managed to explain it to her by saying "there are two horses in a race. One of them has four broken legs, the other is perfectly healthy and has won every race its ever been in. Which one do you bet on?" and I think she almost understood

After I dumped her she took four grams of paracetemol (acetaminophen) which is, y'know, not all that much - you'll probably not feel very well but it's not gonna kill you - but it was all we had in the house. I was out with friends at the time, and so she called a bunch of our friends and an ambulance because she had 'overdosed'. She proceeded to tell everyone she had tried to kill herself because she was so upset that we'd broken up. This happened three or four times before she finally moved out.

Yeah, not the brightest person.

Neito posted:

Are you sure you weren't accidentally dating Scot Steiner?

Fairly sure, yeah. She had massive boobs and was really good in bed which, in retrospect, is literally the only thing I liked about her.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

I remember when the Daily Show did a special on the LHC destroying the planet and one of the doomsayers said there was a 50% it would kill us all: either it will happen or it won't happen. I remember John Oliver looking genuinely shocked.

I'd link to it but Comedy Central has apparently never heard of newfangled concepts like YouTube or the UK so I'm not allowed to check to see if I have the right decade-old clip.

You forget the best part of the story: Later in the interview, John Oliver is hiding in a bunker with the LHC conspiracy guy, and starts asking him if he's more comfortable being a top or a bottom when they have to repopulate the world. The LHC guy is really confused, "we're both men", and John Oliver says "Well, there's a fifty fifty chance we get pregnant. Either we do, or we don't."

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Squack McQuack posted:

He's also an anti-vaxxer. He asked me why I thought kids should have to get vaccinations. I said to prevent people from dying. "Ah, but should we artificially prolong a human's life if they are meant to die?" Yikes.

Something tells me he wouldn't turn away the paramedics if he got hit by a car...

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

Arrhythmia posted:

You forget the best part of the story: Later in the interview, John Oliver is hiding in a bunker with the LHC conspiracy guy, and starts asking him if he's more comfortable being a top or a bottom when they have to repopulate the world. The LHC guy is really confused, "we're both men", and John Oliver says "Well, there's a fifty fifty chance we get pregnant. Either we do, or we don't."

Outstanding.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is John Oliver good? I've never watched his show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
He's funny but can be self righteous and smug.

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Do you like hearing a human beaver repeat each punchline eight times while cracking himself up?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Marlboro for Cats posted:

Do you like hearing a human beaver repeat each punchline eight times while cracking himself up?

Also the audience is typical hooting never shut up American late night fare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Professor Shark posted:

I learn something every episode I watch. I really like how they don't focus exclusively on Trump, but the main story each night focuses on an interesting current event. Get a taste from the YouTube channel if you're curious. It's generally also a show I'll laugh at.

• Locked thread