Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
GBS is so retarded. Unions own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Save the immediate violence for the capitalists. Scabs like honkey donk country after

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

Lmao if you think I'm a scab you're woefully ignorant of how nuclear plants in this country work. I've even done a couple of very well received threads on the subject. Basically unless the reactor design is a CANDU reactor that's capable of refueling while online seasonal contractors are both necessary and welcomed by in-house personnel both union and non-union.

save it for the Troikas scab

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

If this is true nobody cares to tell us or try to bring us into the fold. Every mechanic I work with/for during outages is Union and at one site this even includes their steward.

This is an interesting hypothetical to me for a lot of reasons. For starters I don't know if the union contract will even allow a strike during an outage. The reason I'm not sure about that is during an outage core integrity is particularly vulnerable at least until reactor disassembly and core offload is completed. I wonder if the contract will even allow the union guys to strike during a time when getting the work done is so absolutely critical. In any case, I'll ask my brother and get back to you. He's IBEW and one of the mechanics at the plant nearest to me.

But, say a strike can and does happen, I don't know what I or others would do. It takes very, very, very little to get rid of one of us outage contractors. The company can fire us with nothing but a phone call to whichever contracting company (DZ, BHI, TEAM, Westinghouse, Areva, etc) and tell them to get rid of you and that's it, you're gone. Likewise if you're not putting out like you should be it's very easy to get blackballed at a site and just never get brought back. All it takes is for your crew's mechanics and/or supervisor to decide that you're not worth having around.

Having said that, I don't know what decision I'd make of there were a strike during an outage. If I thought not working would mean getting blackballed and never getting another contract there again, I'd probably work. Even if it wouldn't get me blackballed, the union isn't going to pay me, a non-member, a single dime like they will their own boys. Even if I don't get blackballed, it would be the end of that contract for me, taking a sizable chunk out of my outage season (which is only a couple months in the spring and fall), costing me probably $6-8k depending on which site it is. Possibly more if I'm on the road since they're drat sure not going to pay my out travel money and will cut off my per diem too. Basically supporting a strike despite not being union myself could do immeasurably more damage to my making a living than it does to theirs.

So I don't know man, it's honestly really hard to say what I'd do.

E: I don't expect every single person to understand, but I my experience the nuke industry, its refueling outages, and those outages' contractors are in pretty weird place where all this is concerned.

The guy that was mad about getting called a scab admits he’d ‘probably’ work during a strike :rolleyes:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

COMRADES posted:

Some of us get no vacation days much less paid lol

I get 160 hours vacation, 144 hours sick time and 96 hours of stat time. Vacation time jumps to 200 hours after 5 years

lol america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

The idea of limited sick time is pretty funny to me. What happens when you run out of sick time but you are still sick? Do they fire you? My pay doesn't decrease until 6 months of sickness and i think i can only be fired after 2 years of being sick, at that point it is assumed to be pretty much permanent and you have to go on disabilities.

You can go on long term disability for up to 2 years and receive full pay as long as it a legitimate medical problem that keeps you from working. If you run out of sick time you can also still call in sick, the 144 hours are simply paid sick leave, if you used more than that and it was a long term thing you’d just not get paid

• Locked thread