Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
union workers are typically very very lazy and overpaid which drives up costs and hassles for everyone and makes people anti-union, so they close the plant and move it to the non-union south/out of the country altogether.

this kills the union. and that's good.

op you can try to get into an apprenticeship program if you want, it's probably good work if you can get it, but a lot of times it's not really steady work and you'll probably have to drive all over the place to the jobsite (like, hours per day.) do you own the tools you'll need for this job (likely several thousand dollars' worth, or more?). Do you have a truck? You'll need one to bring your gangbox to the job too, unless you like getting your poo poo stolen.

are you a computer toucher? because if so just forget it now there's no way in hell you'll be able to hang with blue collar dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Also whatever nebulous field this is in it's not going to be easy work and it's not going to be pleasant work. I'm just assume you're a fat nerd because SA but assuming you actually get a job and join the union, you'll be the official bitchboy and will be the one lugging poo poo off trucks and up to the more senior workers, in frigid cold and burning heat as the seasons dictate. This will probably go on for anywhere from months to years until you prove you're not a punk. It's kinda like kitchen work in that way. OK with heights? You might be 70 feet in the air on a knuckleboom one day and then then crawling through a trench of fetid water the next. Also can you throw things and catch them worth a gently caress? Everyone in every trade is constantly throwing things to each other and if you gently caress up you'll never live it down. Got good upper body strength too? Generally relatively in shape? Good with walking down miles of plant floor every day?

Blue collar work loving sucks and I never would have gotten into my (non-union) job, if I could go back. But they pay me a lot in a place with a very low cost of living and a very low standard for quality work, so I get by.

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 14, 2018

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
The nice thing about unions if you're in one is that you really don't have to work very hard for most of the day because a lot of it is spent waiting on people from the other unions to show up and do something trivial you're not allowed to touch, like move a pallet or a piece of furniture or something.

Spagghentleman posted:

In Canada there are over saturated trades, but it seems kind of taboo because everyone is all “retiring workforce hurr, trades demand durr”.
I know sooo many apprentice electricians out of work it’s not funny. It also doesn’t pay as well as you think unless you are willing to go travel wherever and live in remote camps and poo poo.

also yes, there's some sort of weird notion people must have gotten a decade or two ago about how we need people in traaaaadessss!!! $50/hr for a starting electrician's apprenctice! sounds great until you realize you have to go to some oilfield 500 miles from nowhere in north dakota and pay new york prices to rent a room in a ranch house in the land that god truly did forget.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

spacetoaster posted:

I have a question on teacher unions because I'm getting my certification and starting teaching.

Why would a union turn down a group of folks in a school system? The city I'm in has the teachers union, but aides are not allowed in it. So they get treated like literal poo poo. My aide is an awesome 24 year old lady who loves the kids and is great. But she gets lovely hours/pay/no benefits. Even though she's there with me doing everything.

I'm guessing it's because the teachers got scared at one point and realized they were the ones that were more experienced/were the more "responsible" ones and wanted the protection of the union but saw the aides as interlopers who didn't deserve the same benefits as teachers and thus passed a contract that said "aides: eat a dick."

the city/school system probably loves it because the aides don't count for poo poo and they don't have to pony up benefits for them either. win/win!!

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Yandat posted:

aging teamster dude who is 50 with serious back problems and a family looks back on his life

"gently caress I wish I had done more labor that wasn't in the contract"

i think you're severely overestimating the amount of "labor" your average Teamster does in his lifetime.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

belt posted:

This is what unions protect against you dickhead. Workers having their fair breaks and not having their work stolen by management. God forbid a worker stand up for their rights against rear end in a top hat America.

Where I work, if I don't want to do something I'll tell the operations director I'm not gonna do it he says "ok", and I take my designated breaks on time and nobody says poo poo. Actually nobody cares about anything at my plant so I guess I get all the benefits of union labor with none of the dues. For some reason they think I'm a really good employee despite me not ever really giving a poo poo and openly and actively talking about how much I don't give a poo poo and don't need or want this job anyway. I do get poo poo done though.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

belt posted:

It’s almost as if union backed jobs have led to higher standards of work throughout the country. Fuckin’ crazy innit?!?!!

lol I'm not gonna credit a union with me seeing something hazardous needs to be done and telling the operations guy "hey, I'm not comfortable doing this and I won't do it" and him saying "ok, yeah, we'll get someone to do it."

and the breaks are in my contract so...

it's not like I work at some meatpacking hellhole in nebraska or wherever where people are told to do dangerous poo poo constantly and die every day.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Yandat posted:

you're under the impression that you work in some kind of vacuum, where the conditions you work under are mostly unrelated to the wider job market in the same country you live in

I really don't give a gently caress about your problems if you're not me. There's half a billion people in America and I've got enough poo poo on my plate as it is.
Really not sure what you're trying to get at here?

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I've been waiting for you to show up

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I get breaks and that's about it. Probably. I didn't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
cum seize my means of production

we'll make one hell of a union

• Locked thread