Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

The final splinter sequence just edited him out of time altogether, total non-existance for the normal timeline. That also erased project splinter which means Hanna wouldn't have been able to go back in time to conceive him. It sidesteps the paradox basically.

The only people that retained memories of the prime timeline were those who were pulled forward in time, experienced the events, and then put back. Their injections insulated them from the effects of Cole being scrubbed from the timeline.

The final change that Jones did was pop prime Cole back in time to where Jennifer and Cassy were rather than splintering him out of existence. His injections insulated him from the effects of his own timeline erasure so just erasing his timeline wouldn't stop him from existing at that point. He's still a walking paradox, but time is "allowing" it since it owed him for fixing things and eliminating the predestination paradox of his original conception.

But so were Deacon bartender and barfly old Jennifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rocksicles posted:

But so were Deacon bartender and barfly old Jennifer.

What about them? It was clear from the voiceover that they didn't remember anything, that fate just brought some people together no matter what.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

What about them? It was clear from the voiceover that they didn't remember anything, that fate just brought some people together no matter what.

Yeah but 201? whatever Deacon was a child. Old Jennifer were paradoxes right? Unless that scene was set in the far future. i dunno. All the crew they showed at the end living lives, had child or younger versions o themselves, they weren't erased.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah but 201? whatever Deacon was a child. Old Jennifer were paradoxes right? Unless that scene was set in the far future. i dunno. All the crew they showed at the end living lives, had child or younger versions o themselves, they weren't erased.

Those scenes were just to show us that everyone got a happy ending, no matter what time period it was in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Those scenes were just to show us that everyone got a happy ending, no matter what time period it was in.

Yeah... but it's ambiguous at best.

edit: Forget it, i'm happy with whenever. I just rewatched the end and it doesn't matter.

Deacons brother is played by Arron Stanford's stunt double, because Deacon told Cole he reminded him of his brother :)

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 22, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah... but it's ambiguous at best.

How so?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's not clear if Olivia won or not.

I personally absolutely believe that they ended up in the Red Forest, but the ending is ultimately the one you choose so...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The scene in the bar was in 2043 or whenever. Deacon is a bartender instead of whatever he was before. Because he was never pulled forward, he doesn't have any memories.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

How so?

The red leaf being the last thing you see is supposed to make you wonder if Cassie really stopped Olivia's plan before time ran out. Everything that happened after was the happy ending she desired for her and James right down to having the perfect house together

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Did they clarify if there are still primaries? I wasn't clear if primaries just always existed or if they were a direct result of the existence of the demon (Cole)?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

fallenturtle posted:

Did they clarify if there are still primaries? I wasn't clear if primaries just always existed or if they were a direct result of the existence of the demon (Cole)?

The show creator in the podcast said yes, primaries still exist and always existed. And Jennifer is still primary in the Red Forest new timeline.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm just happy it got an ending and it was a pretty good ending even if not perfect. Really, this is among the better finales to any series I've watched.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe just a bit late, but I just binged the whole final season over the last two days.

What a wonderful final season, and especially final episode. There were so many loose ends but I can't think of many that still need to be tied up.

And no, it's not only Jennifer that owned this series. All of the main cast did. Especially Katarina was particularly great this season, she got a lot of screentime and owned all of it.
And the way they did good for Ramsay... what a time for my wife to decide to cut some onions...

This series doesn't need a sequel, spinoff or anything. The story is complete and should not be tampered with. Because Time has been tampered enough with. It won't allow it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Finally saw the finale and boy howdy did they ever nail it. Amazing show all the way through and it's definitely in the category of "I wish I could see it again for the first time". My Red Forest moment would be 4 seasons of this show :v:

Standout moments of the finale to me-

Cassie's reaction at the beginning when Cole realized he was the demon and had to be erased. I was in tears with her.

Jennifer. Everything Jennifer but in particular her goodbye before she splintered for the last time. It really seemed like Cole and Cassie's actors were clapping honestly and earnestly for her performance during the show's run. It seemed really genuine.

Same with Cassie's little joke about it needing to be the end of the world before Cole could say "I have a plan". There was something about their facial expressions and her hand covering her face that made me wonder if it was an ad-libbed moment because it just looked perfect.

Olivia's final death scene in the snow. Goddrat that was brutal. Also I nearly fell out of my chair with the reveal that it was her skeleton that was the source of the virus as seen in the Nightroom episode. I'm right, right?

Seeing Ramse and Deacon one more time.

One complaint I have unless I missed it is I wished they showed Whitley the military dude in the corrected timeline. He was a good man. :(

I'll miss you, 12 Monkeys. One of the best ever for sure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pahuyuth posted:

Olivia's final death scene in the snow. Goddrat that was brutal. Also I nearly fell out of my chair with the reveal that it was her skeleton that was the source of the virus as seen in the Nightroom episode. I'm right, right?

Yep. Though I guess it was retconned from season 1 where it was implied that one of the 12 superhuman followers was the corpse.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yep. Though I guess it was retconned from season 1 where it was implied that one of the 12 superhuman followers was the corpse.

Wasn't it implied at one stage the carrier skellington was Cole?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Wasn't it implied at one stage the carrier skellington was Cole?

Probably.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

With those blue eyes, you bet it was. Most people were convinced.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Iirc one of the superhumans splintered in half, so it was implied he was the skeleton when the splinter sequence failed.
It was probably an "out" by the directors in case the show wouldn't get renewed (which was VERY probable at the time).

It also hit me that Cassie kept wearing her mask whenever she went outside in 204X... but why would there be a risk of contamination outside, but not inside the facility (especially when people like the Sisters and all go out and in all the time)?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Evernoob posted:

It also hit me that Cassie kept wearing her mask whenever she went outside in 204X... but why would there be a risk of contamination outside, but not inside the facility (especially when people like the Sisters and all go out and in all the time)?

Because there's a decontamination process in the airlock, whenever someone comes back in they get sprayed down and covered in UV. They show it a couple of times in the early seasons.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Evernoob posted:

Iirc one of the superhumans splintered in half, so it was implied he was the skeleton when the splinter sequence failed.
It was probably an "out" by the directors in case the show wouldn't get renewed (which was VERY probable at the time).

They were smart and never drew too much attention to what it might be when they hinted at it, until they pretty conclusively have it be Olivia. IIRC Cole got one of those paradox headaches when he first saw the corpse. Then a super soldier was splintered in half, with the parts left over being a good puzzle fit for the shown corpse. Then they have it be Olivia, cause she had it coming.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!
Okay, I finally binged this. I held off because I hate finishing shows I like. But drat, did they ever do it justice. What a loving great last season and finale.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Aaron Stanford (Cole) was on the latest episode of Fear the Walking Dead, as a brewer/beer nerd.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm glad to see him get more work. Hopefully he doesn't get eaten in 2 episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wormil posted:

Aaron Stanford (Cole) was on the latest episode of Fear the Walking Dead, as a brewer/beer nerd.

Nice try, Satan.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Nice try, Satan.

Fact. Fear is a good. It's where all the good actors are. Also fact, Cole was in the last episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Fact. Fear is a good. It's where all the good actors are. Also fact, Cole was in the last episode.

Nope, nothing TWD is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Rocksicles posted:

Used to be good. It's back to garbage again and you can thank Gimple for it.

• Locked thread