Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Inner Isshin is really kicking my butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

skasion posted:

Sorc caster in DS1 is just as possible as in DeS though. It’s incredibly OP actually, if you pick up your basic buff gear you’ll easily blast the poo poo out of everything you meet.

Once you know what you're doing magic absolutely breaks it, but I'd argue on an organic first-time playthrough you're still going to be using spells for bosses only. Aside from DeS that's been pretty normal in the series. It is what I explicitly set out to [/not/] do in my blind ER run and the strength of that first spell really owned.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Spells are only boss nukes later on in DS1. Early in the game, you can just load up with duplicate Soul Arrows and do easily as much damage as a Zweihänder swing from range. It breaks the entire combat system if you lock onto enemies from max range and lob spells at them, it's OP as gently caress

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

magicalmako posted:

Inner Isshin is really kicking my butt.

He was definitely the one boss I had the most trouble with. At least you have a lot of space within which to flee him in terror and then consume a jizo statue, a Buddhist sugar, a pellet, a-

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Snake Eyes are an exceptionally rude enemy type, that isn’t a hot take, right? Lots of posture damage, often ending combos with a gun shot, why the gently caress do they even have bazookas anyway? The internet said Sabimaru was their weak point but fire seems a lot better for the free stun/DPS since burn always lands. I just ended up doing it the old fashioned “hesitation is defeat” way with some terrain cheese in the abandoned hole but is there a good way of dealing with them?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Snake Eyes are an exceptionally rude enemy type, that isn’t a hot take, right? Lots of posture damage, often ending combos with a gun shot, why the gently caress do they even have bazookas anyway? The internet said Sabimaru was their weak point but fire seems a lot better for the free stun/DPS since burn always lands. I just ended up doing it the old fashioned “hesitation is defeat” way with some terrain cheese in the abandoned hole but is there a good way of dealing with them?

Because it's awesome?

They can both be backstabbed. You can do fire AND poison. You can allegedly deflect the grab attack. My least favorite enemy though. :hai:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Last Celebration posted:

Both can be backstabbed once, which is a big help. Apart from that, they can be parried reliably on most attacks, like all the other the gun fort dudes, just with weird timings. Burn is good against most strong enemies, if you find openings then hit them with it. Sabimaru only works on the first one anyway, the poison pool one has resistance. You can try mist raven to get through them and hit the back to wear their health down a bit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

Because it's awesome?

They can both be backstabbed. You can do fire AND poison. You can allegedly deflect the grab attack. My least favorite enemy though. :hai:

I did the backstab on the poison lake one, though I’m honestly surprised she didn’t turn around when her range of vision seemingly amounts to “virtually everywhere”, easily the sharpest eyes of any boss I’ve encountered though I guess it’s in the name.

And don’t get me wrong, random old lady with a bazooka that does one of the raddest/brutal grabs in the series (probably top five tbh) is cool, I’m more confused because most guns seem to suck a lot in this era of history what with the random mooks who take forever and a day to reload, so why does she get the hookup?

Also, figure I should ask, I did the monk temple and got to what seems like the end, an old man that tells me the princess is in another castle who gave a tomb or whatever, is that the actual end (for now) if I did the scorpion man cave with the skill book?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No. Go inside that big temple at the top with the lovely jerk guards in the hats.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You have to get to the top of the castle before you can fight the boss of Senpou.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

skasion posted:

You have to get to the top of the castle before you can fight the boss of Senpou.

As in, Ashina Castle with Isshin Round 2 (and 3…)at the top? Or is there yet another thing I overlooked?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Yup, and compounded by the fact you can get to the poison pool one at a really low level. I find them more difficult than any other miniboss.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly it seems entirely possible to reach the other one at a low level too, but at least the game doesn’t put a fog wall directly behind her. That might just be because it interferes with the bullet hell part of the section though…

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

As in, Ashina Castle with Isshin Round 2 (and 3…)at the top? Or is there yet another thing I overlooked?

If you got to the main hall of Senpou and there was an old dude there talking about the child being in the Inner Sanctum, you came there early. You access the boss of Senpou from the main hall right in front of the giant Buddha, but only once the old dude goes away. you have to beat Genichiro at the top of Ashina Castle first and do the NPC talks/plot stuff after that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sounds like you think Genichiro (bow guy, pitiful grandchild) is Isshin (oldest man in the world.)

Get up there and get revenge!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 29, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Genichiro is the bow guy, I left after getting to his final form and figured I should beat the one purple karate ninja by the well and it turned out he was gating a chunk of stuff I’m still working through.

Speaking of, the mist forest was a really cool area. I’ve kinda resigned myself to not having locales as varied as Elden Ring’s insane variety but that village was pretty good from an atmosphere standpoint. Also who gave the monkeys swords and guns, those are people weapons!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

those are people weapons!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Holy poo poo I beat Genichiro on my first try of the day. Sure didn’t expect that to go well!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Part of me wishes I went into Sekiro completely blind because there’s something to be said for a giant ape that attacks by taking a massive dump that spreads poison everywhere, then jumping into the air to throw a lump of poo poo at you before phase 2 happens. It really shows that From is really taking this poo poo way less seriously than people think they are.

Also I knew it was coming but it still gets kinda demoralizing when the game whips out more phases than it tells you existed because you start thinking you’re actually good, especially knowing there’s a “time for side quests to get gated off again!” counter ticking because you suck. I know dragonrot is kinda superfluous because there’s more than enough drops to go around, but it still feels bad to have side quests gated at all with a technically finite item because you were doing the thing they expect you to do. Not that Guardian Ape feels especially insurmountable compared to Genichiro/Lady Butterfly but still.

Oh, and I guess I should ask, how do I progress Black Badger’s quest once I get to the temple part? And where do I find someone to comb the fields for that one merchant if I ducked up and sent the big guy to the doctors because I forgot the full context of that questline?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, and I guess I should ask, how do I progress Black Badger’s quest once I get to the temple part?

From the very start of Senpou Temple, go right down the slopes instead of left up the path through the woods. At the bottom by a crank and a broken bridge is an enemy dwarf assassin. Backstab him with puppeteer ninjutsu and he’ll operate the nearby crank for you, sending the kite way further up.

Now go all the way up the path through the woods past all the monks, into the temple through the room with all the crickets, down the stairs into the room with more monks including a big guy and a resurrecting guy, and outside into an area with a giant climbable tree. From that treetop you can now grapple across the chasm, do a bit more grappling, and you’ll find an idol and Badger in a cave (possibly he won’t show up till you reload the zone).

Last Celebration posted:

And where do I find someone to comb the fields for that one merchant if I ducked up and sent the big guy to the doctors because I forgot the full context of that questline?

No take backs on this one, nobody else in Ashina is dumb enough to hang around robbing corpses in a country about to get holocausted by the shogunate

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

skasion posted:

From the very start of Senpou Temple, go right down the slopes instead of left up the path through the woods. At the bottom by a crank and a broken bridge is an enemy dwarf assassin. Backstab him with puppeteer ninjutsu and he’ll operate the nearby crank for you, sending the kite way further up.

Now go all the way up the path through the woods past all the monks, into the temple through the room with all the crickets, down the stairs into the room with more monks including a big guy and a resurrecting guy, and outside into an area with a giant climbable tree. From that treetop you can now grapple across the chasm, do a bit more grappling, and you’ll find an idol and Badger in a cave (possibly he won’t show up till you reload the zone).

Lol, I actually had this exact thought but dismissed it because I said to myself, “no, that’s stupid, the puppeteer ninjutsu probably lasts like fifteen seconds or some poo poo”

quote:

No take backs on this one, nobody else in Ashina is dumb enough to hang around robbing corpses in a country about to get holocausted by the shogunate

gently caress! Hope he didn’t offer anything too good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, I actually had this exact thought but dismissed it because I said to myself, “no, that’s stupid, the puppeteer ninjutsu probably lasts like fifteen seconds or some poo poo”

gently caress! Hope he didn’t offer anything too good.

You get a permanent discount to all merchants at endgame, which is nice, but then NG+ absolutely deluges you in more money than you could ever spend anyway. it does not get either of them a happy ending

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
drat, just beat my 3rd playthrough, first time charmless. it really changes the whole game and makes it much harder. I did the shura ending becasue I didnt want to go through fountainhead again. I've faced off against sword saint many many times in the reflections, and I actually think isshin is harder. the grabs and the fire. once I realized that his stomps presage fire, he got a lot easier, but also scarier, lol.

It's weird the things that change. for instance, the second ape fight, I never ever had trouble with it because you can cheese the interloper with fireworks. well this time that poo poo did not work at all. I must've fought them like 10 times, always trying to cheese my way through, until I decided to say f it and learn their patterns and fight both together with no cheese. what a drat rush man. this is seriously one of the top games of all time.

the bosses that gave me most trouble this run were isshin ashina, two apes, and that loving snake eyes in the poison pit. I dunno why, but every single play through she just pisses me off. I sometimes wish that minibosses were included in the reflections just so I could perfect her, because I really really hate her. for some reason, I don't find the fort one that tough, even though I don't stealth kill that one. so funny that it's her then the guardian ape again lol.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
When do you get to buy divine confetti? You get a lot by exploring but I’m pretty embarrassed to admit I burned through a lot of it by thinking I was mashing down to heal in the O-Rin fight, and while she attacks to relentlessly it ends up being kinda superfluous Corrupted Monk is a lot slower/deliberate so relying on mostly posture damage doesn’t seem as consistent.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

When do you get to buy divine confetti? You get a lot by exploring but I’m pretty embarrassed to admit I burned through a lot of it by thinking I was mashing down to heal in the O-Rin fight, and while she attacks to relentlessly it ends up being kinda superfluous Corrupted Monk is a lot slower/deliberate so relying on mostly posture damage doesn’t seem as consistent.

Confetti is infinitely buyable after you beat the boss at the start of Fountainhead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
confetti also doesn't affect the corrupt monk fight. it's mainly useful against the headless and the shichimen

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Confetti is a straight 25% damage buff. On top of that it also has an extra buff against apparitions, so it chumps headless and shichimens, but it will also do work against any enemy. And because monk blocks so much, anything that can do damage thru block is good against her

That said, you definitely don’t need it against her, the best way to wear her health is to learn her deflect timings and use the openings she gives you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh I already beat O-Rin, like I mentioned she gives so many openings for deflecting that her bar goes up like crazy once you get into the rhythm. Didn’t know that was the thing I was supposed to use against the headless/shaman ghostball guy though, I figured “apparition” meant, you know, actual apparitions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Oh I already beat O-Rin, like I mentioned she gives so many openings for deflecting that her bar goes up like crazy once you get into the rhythm. Didn’t know that was the thing I was supposed to use against the headless/shaman ghostball guy though, I figured “apparition” meant, you know, actual apparitions.

Those guys are apparitions

Corrupted monk is not

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well she looks like a ghost and moves like one too, it’s hard to tell.

Also, huh, I’m guessing I’m getting near the end of the game since Asahina Castle’s bonfires are almost all grayed out and the area’s mostly populated by either those kung fu ninjas or some new dudes in red id also really rather not fight.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
There are enemy apparitions and there are enemy illusions, and they are not the same!

Skimming wiki, there’s some more tangible guys that count as apparitions the second phase of the Guardian Ape and the rematch, and an endgame optional boss who you might expect to be one that isn’t, the Demon of Hatred.

Also I guess the final phase of the True Corrupted Monk doesn’t get decapitated enough to count as an apparition.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool that along with the start of staggered attack strings Sekiro was also the start of one of the penultimate bosses* leaving an illusory doppelgänger behind to fight a few hours before the real thing. Corrupted Monk seems to have done it wrong though since her poise bar has gone to complete poo poo but still!

Also Owl was a cool mirror match, though it seems like a dick move for them to have him do a better version of the Mikiri Counter if you thrust when he’s not open. Not cause it’s harsh but because it’s just reminding you that you’re still a bitch compared to him.

*im assuming so at least, I just got a trophy for reaching every area in the game, did the fight with my foster dad, and now I’m going to destroy the immortality turning everyone into zombies and hosed up centipede men.

Question: so what’s going on in the story, exactly? Like specifically the part where there’s a bunch of guys who are from another faction within Asahina (or at least it seems like it according to an NPC I overheard) who are loving everything up hence the legion of kickboxing ninjas, dual wielding redshirts, and red goblin-men killing all the normal people. And come to think of it, why was I cutting a bloody swath through the roof of Asahina Castle anyway? Was there already a rebellion going on when the game started? Maybe I zoned out on too many NPC chats…

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats the central government coming to gently caress Ashina's poo poo up. Its what Genichiro is so sad he's not able to stop from happening, that no matter what Sekiro does Ashina is fuuuucked

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's presumably Hideyoshi trying to reunify japan.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Thats the central government coming to gently caress Ashina's poo poo up. Its what Genichiro is so sad he's not able to stop from happening, that no matter what Sekiro does Ashina is fuuuucked

Honestly I’m more confused how Ashina was never on the radar to begin with, you’d think super zombie water/blood would have put on the “to conquer/subjugate” list.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I’m more confused how Ashina was never on the radar to begin with, you’d think super zombie water/blood would have put on the “to conquer/subjugate” list.

Ishiin I think is the reason: the gov is terrified of him and only invades once he's gone

Barudak
May 7, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

Ishiin I think is the reason: the gov is terrified of him and only invades once he's gone

This was my takeaway, but Im sure I could be wrong. They're just waiting for Ishiin to die and then mop up the morale broken remnants

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Last Celebration posted:

Question: so what’s going on in the story, exactly? Like specifically the part where there’s a bunch of guys who are from another faction within Asahina (or at least it seems like it according to an NPC I overheard) who are loving everything up hence the legion of kickboxing ninjas, dual wielding redshirts, and red goblin-men killing all the normal people. And come to think of it, why was I cutting a bloody swath through the roof of Asahina Castle anyway? Was there already a rebellion going on when the game started? Maybe I zoned out on too many NPC chats…

It's the end of the Sengoku (warring states) period circa 1600ad, and the age of local lords endlessly fighting each other for control is coming to an end. Isshin Ashina was able to delay the inevitable and win his rebellion against the central government because he's just that cool.

The "Interior Ministry" of the central government wants to regain control over Ashina (fantasy rural Japan), but they still fear Isshin even in old age, along with Ashina's mystical rejuvenating waters. They have their own shinobi (purple ninjas) lurking throughout the country probing for weakness, anticipating Isshin's impending death to old age/illness.

Isshin is nominally still in charge but his heir Genichiro has effectively taken over leadership of the country in his final days. Genichiro knows his own skill and resources are insufficient to withstand the coming invasion, and he's desperate to achieve immortality via the divine heir's bloodline to turn the tides. The Divine Heir is kind of like his cousin so he really doesn't want to kill the kid but he's getting increasingly desperate and fed up the kid won't give him the immortality oath he gave Wolf instead.

Isshin doesn't agree with Genichiro's methods but cannot openly oppose his grandson without effectively disowning him, shaming him, and leaving the country heiress days before his own death. He covertly orchestrates events behind the scenes by adopting the guise of the Tengu of Ashina, and having Emma enlist Wolf's aid to oppose Genichiro's plans.

Theres also some sort of side-plot going on with the monks at Senpou temple playing their own game. They're nominally part of Ashina and resisting the Interior Ministry because things will not go well for them when Ashina falls, but Isshin rightfully doesn't trust them. They have turned away from the path of Buddhism and are trying to achieve immortality, something heretical to their faith. This is represented by the gross immortality centipedes. The little hat ninjas throughout Ashina are mercenaries employed by Senpou temple, unless they have red hats in which case they work for the Interior Ministry.

The Red Guards are an elite force of the Interior Ministry spearheading the invasion of Ashina. They successfully launch a full scale invasion by the end of the game, though Orangutan (sculptor) goes apeshit on them and kills a bunch as the Demon of Hatred.

In the end Ashina falls to the Interior Ministry, as Japanese national history says it must.

:words:

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 7, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lazy Fair posted:

It's the end of the Sengoku (warring states) period circa 1600ad, and the age of local lords endlessly fighting each other for control is coming to an end. Isshin Ashina was able to delay the inevitable and win his rebellion against the central government because he's just that cool.

The "Interior Ministry" of the central government wants to regain control over Ashina (fantasy rural Japan), but they still fear Isshin even in old age, along with Ashina's mystical rejuvenating waters. They have their own shinobi (purple ninjas) lurking throughout the country probing for weakness, anticipating Isshin's impending death to old age/illness.

Isshin is nominally still in charge but his heir Genichiro has effectively taken over leadership of the country in his final days. Genichiro knows his own skill and resources are insufficient to withstand the coming invasion, and he's desperate to achieve immortality via the divine heir's bloodline to turn the tides. The Divine Heir is kind of like his cousin so he really doesn't want to kill the kid but he's getting increasingly desperate and fed up the kid won't give him the immortality oath he gave Wolf instead.

Isshin doesn't agree with Genichiro's methods but cannot openly oppose his grandson without effectively disowning him, shaming him, and leaving the country heiress days before his own death. He covertly orchestrates events behind the scenes by adopting the disguise of the Tengu of Ashina, and having Emma enlist Wolf's aid to oppose Genichiro's plans.

Theres also some sort of side-plot going on with the monks at Senpou temple playing their own game. They're nominally allied with Ashina and resisting the Interior Ministry, but Isshin rightfully doesn't trust them. They have turned away from the path of Buddhism and are trying to achieve immortality, something heretical to their faith. This is represented by the gross immortality centipedes. The little hat ninjas throughout Ashina are mercenaries employed by Senpou temple, unless they have red hats in which case they work for the Interior Ministry.

The Red Guards are an elite force of the Interior Ministry spearheading the invasion of Ashina. They successfully launch a full scale invasion in by the end of the game, though Orangutan (sculptor) goes apeshit on them and kills a bunch as the Demon of Hatred.

In the end Ashina falls to the Interior Ministry, as Japanese national history says it must.

:words:

Holy wow that clears pretty much everything up! I sort of figured that Sekiro was full on alternate universe loosely based on Japan because it looked cool like how Bloodborne is “kinda vaguely fantasy London I guess?” which I guess it still is but also pivotal moments in Japanese history still apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
The way I understood it was that Ashina was a clan that controlled a province in Japan not Japan itself.

Edit: sorry I misinterpreted Lazy Fair post saying "Ashina (fantasy rural Japan)" to mean Ashina=fantasy Japan not Ashina= a place in Japan that is rural.

Edit2 because I got curious. From this Reddit post. The general story of Sekiro is true with names changed and there were fewer giant apes/lightning reversals. Oddly enough more backstabbing.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2022