Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Please let me grapple on the big monsters and stab them in the neck (buying this anyway, even if I can't)

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

The thing about Bloodeborne vs DS, is that while the trick weapons were really cool, the lack of build variety really hampered the replay value. I'm a little cautious about the sword-only style, but if you can customize you character is other ways, I'll be all for it.

Bloodborne's streamlining already got rid of one of the big remaining RPG elements which is the Equip Weight... They decided to make the game maximum fun for people who like to fast roll and screw everyone who likes heavily armored slow playstyle, and I think that was right way to go.

With the limited weapon upgrades you could get, the main variety comes from which 2-3 weapons you chose to upgrade and then the stats mostly became requirements you needed to fulfill to be able to utilize those the best. If you don't count gimmick/challenge runs the number of useful stats combinations were not that many and not all that interesting part of the game. I mean, the variety of the weapons brought much more to the table, you can't really make your BoM/Rakuyo run significantly different by allocating your stats differently (unless, again, going for the gimmick route like not upgrading VIT/END or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh here's a thing:

While talking about Derecine he sort of made some broad comments about Bloodsouls

miyazaki interview posted:

It wasn’t necessarily that I wanted to … not moving away, but taking a break from the Souls series wasn’t the only strongest motivation to work on this game. As a result of now coming to the stage of being able to show what we have so far, it has really helped us, helped me, freshen things up. It’s not just about a different kind of game or a different format. We’re learning things in VR, which is new technology. This game is actually also developed in Unreal. There’s been a lot of learnings already.

By no means are we going to stray ourselves away from the more or less more mainstream games that we’re known for,” Miyazaki continues resiliently, in the dark. “I think this segue will only give us good learnings, good experiences, and that’s something that we can reflect on and will have a good influence on the other games that we’d work on in the future. It’s been really good learning experience.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm happy Sekiro is not a Tokugawa period game, and having heard Kurosawa films were an inspiration I'm going to be so excited if the setting in any way resembles The Hidden Fortress which is the best Japanese movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"Bloodsmoke" is my new favorite word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tYE7ZElg-s

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Online functionalities have not exactly been confirmed as of yet, but it does look like Sekiro will be ditching PvP play at least. More to come.

they say none at all

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m fine with no PvP. The loss of co-op play would be a bummer though. Just bc co-op is fun, and really helpful if you’re stuck at a boss.

I saw some rumor that the multiplayer, of any, may involve another player controlling one of the enemies. So you can summon help, but your help isn’t equal to you in strength or survivability.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That was part of the pre-E3 "leaks" that were mostly wrong

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shy posted:

they say none at all

I would be really surprised if there wasn't some kind of system akin to messages in the final game. That being said, I almost never use the multiplayer functionality in the other games so I won't really miss it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Imagine all the 'try jumping here'

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Imagine all the 'try jumping here'

Imminent Hurdle

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Try grappling hook and then mount.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It is all thanks to seppuku.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't give up , Samurai !

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The real Sekiro starts here

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Let's be real people, the reason this game is based on Japan is because the Fromsoft guy who's vacation photos normally serve as inspiration for the level architecture simply didn't travel to Europe this year.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
That guy's 2014/2015 vacations were super messed up.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Have you ever TRIED visiting real-life castles, abbeys, ruins etc. after playing the Souls series? That poo poo damages you, man

In half the places in Edinborough I expected skeletons cartwheeling at me

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Torquemadras posted:

In half the places in Edinborough I expected skeletons cartwheeling at me

This misspelling hurts me. That said, I agree that the closes can be creepy as gently caress late at night.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

This misspelling hurts me. That said, I agree that the closes can be creepy as gently caress late at night.

And now I know that it's a misspelling! Why must you humiliate me so Google.

Everybody, post your favorite IRL Dark Souls locations to distract from this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blighttown aka my basement

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Obviously harvest valley is from when the dark souls vacation dude stopped by in pipyrat.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Blighttown aka my basement

My crawlspace.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I live in the ds2 abandoned house at the starting shrine

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Black Gulch must have been inspired by a vacation in Ireland.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shrine of Amana was inspired by, you guessed it, my crusty rear end in a top hat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bloody Monthly Nightmare is my once and future home.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Torquemadras posted:

Everybody, post your favorite IRL Dark Souls locations to distract from this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfUNwE_B1yFEHBouHzS27ySlgNdJKqKMXpcjNY0/?taken-by=gstrnat

San Marino looks remarkably like the Undead Burg.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Keep Hype Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uI4XRM3RWo

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
When I went inside St Peters Basilica at the Vatican I was expecting a boss battle with an undead pope

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

When I went inside St Peters Basilica at the Vatican I was expecting a boss battle with an undead pope

Pontiff is such a cool fight.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Does Miyazaki have strong opinions on Catholicism or is he just in to the imagery?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does Miyazaki have strong opinions on Catholicism or is he just in to the imagery?

Pretty sure he's into the imagery. Christian imagery also makes cameos in anime, it seems to have a "mystical" quality in much the same way that Japanese belief systems captivate westerners.

E: as far as architecture is concerned, it's more of a cultural thing than a religious thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thanks WaltherFeng

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...dows-die-twice/

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

March 22, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game's up for pre-order on Steam. Go go go go go!!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:thunk:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Not buying without system reqs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

There's also going to be a collectors edition as well.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

March 22, 2019

That's weird, for some reason I got it into my head that SSDT was a PS4 exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

SciFiDownBeat posted:

That's weird, for some reason I got it into my head that SSDT was a PS4 exclusive

Me too, I'll probably get it for PS4 then later on PC (after upgrading my computer). They do have a PS4 exclusive, is it only the VR one ?