Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rhadamanthus posted:

I dropped the 3000 sen for the kunai upgrade; how can I apply it to my shuriken? Do I need other upgrades first? Where do I source the scrap metal and blackpowder?

It's a much later-tier Shuriken upgrade. Don't worry about anything for now; basic materials eventually start showing up in shops, and a lot of enemies will drop them in spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Rhadamanthus posted:

I started this two weeks ago and I'm having a loving blast.

Game loving rules.

Always nice to see new people enjoying this masterpiece. I will replay it again as soon as I finish my current game.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
I just completely trashed that shinobi (the one before the depths) and then Lady Butterfly.

Lady Butterfly took two tries. I feel weirdly guilty. :smith:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Don't.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Just finished reading Shigurui, an excellent shonen manga about samurai mutilating each other. The protagonist even has 1 arm! Anyway its inspired me to do yet another playthrough of this game, anybody have any suggestions on spicing things up? I was thinking I might rush to Senpou and get punchy as early as possible.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Rhadamanthus posted:

I just completely trashed that shinobi (the one before the depths) and then Lady Butterfly.

Lady Butterfly took two tries. I feel weirdly guilty. :smith:

You son of a bitch...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Raposa posted:

Just finished reading Shigurui, an excellent shonen manga about samurai mutilating each other. The protagonist even has 1 arm! Anyway its inspired me to do yet another playthrough of this game, anybody have any suggestions on spicing things up? I was thinking I might rush to Senpou and get punchy as early as possible.

Sekiro punch-only run :shepface:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

All of a sudden the game has started randomly hanging for 5 or so seconds, for no apparent reason. This never happened during my first playthrough and as far as I can tell nothing has meaningfully changed on my computer or in the game. What could be causing this??

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
started NG+. Only died twice so far (to the mini boss at the top of the castle stairs cause I got cocky and ran up to face them all on at once.) and also the centipede somehow.

Gyobu, Seven Spears, Purple Guy, Drunkard, Lady Butterfly, O'Rin, Fake Monk, Guardian Ape, Genichiro, Snake Eyes all down today.

bows1 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 17, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

All of a sudden the game has started randomly hanging for 5 or so seconds, for no apparent reason. This never happened during my first playthrough and as far as I can tell nothing has meaningfully changed on my computer or in the game. What could be causing this??

Wow, this happened to me too, having just returned to the game after last playing it in 2019. It seemed to happen as I was running or traveling a certain distance or crossing various invisible thresholds.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

When I initially tried to play this game it would consistently crash so, probably different problem. Turned out to be a super weird virtual memory issue that I only encountered in this game; maybe it could cause pauses that don't fully crash it on a different system.

If you're in Windows 10, try going to System Properties > Advanced > Performance (Settings) > Advanced > Virtual Memory (Change) and checking "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives." If this is already checked, then I guess that's not the problem! I think it may have only been unchecked for me because I was on an old system that got upgraded to windows 10 and some stuff was... odd.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Wow, this happened to me too, having just returned to the game after last playing it in 2019. It seemed to happen as I was running or traveling a certain distance or crossing various invisible thresholds.

Upon review, this seems to be the case for me too; it only seems to happen near what I imagine are major loading seams. I can only guess some horseshit Win10 update did this at some point, so I'll try that paged memory thing from the other post.

e: nope! :nallears:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 17, 2020

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Mine started hitching up too, also already have that box checked. Other people on the internet seem to think it's an nvidia driver issue that needs fixing. I had thought it might be my extremely old processor (i5-750, woo!) reaching its end of life, so it's good to know it isn't just me.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

getting owl father to 1% and dying on like attempt 5, and then taking 2 hours to finally win :negative:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The souls curve, once you’ve gotten to the point where you usually survive between idols, is

Almost kill the boss/make it through a phase
Get wrecked instantly for a while
Get the patterns down but not the timing, die instantly
Get the patterns and timing down, win

The only sad part is that you don’t get to retry bosses more often. The early NG+ romp is so much fun.

That is also why Genichiro is so fun now, you see him a lot, like Emma.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I just chumped the poo poo out of the first Genichiro fight after bouncing off it (and his dojo buddy downstairs) for a long time.

I spent so much time exploring alternate pathways looking for ways to proceed forward and had already gotten to the two places I needed to go right after you kill Genichiro the first time. After doing the giraffe/centipede/whatever guy and feeling badass as I brought him into posture break by deflects-alone, twice, in a row, I stomped the butterfly and Genichiro was a cakewalk by comparison.

For giggles I went and did the first areas again, and boy howdy I can see that NG+ early game being fun as poo poo now that I know where everything is, their tells and how to really use/abuse the combat system to my advantage.

How does From always manage to make a game that makes you feel badass as gently caress for beating/conquering it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sooo the wide assortment of Red eye enemies waiting to one shot me more or less after defeating the divine dragon are really something. if this were souls I'd love to stick around and beat them all but I just wanna get this over with now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

codo27 posted:

Sooo the wide assortment of Red eye enemies waiting to one shot me more or less after defeating the divine dragon are really something. if this were souls I'd love to stick around and beat them all but I just wanna get this over with now

follow them back to the very first samurai sideboss in the game for an optional boss if you want

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not sure which you mean. I really wish my play through of this hadn't been so fragmented, I have no idea what's going on. I was really looking forward to the final showdown with genichiro, but disappointed to find he's just a bitch made pushover. why or how is his great great great grandfather jumping out of his body? I only made a few attempts last night but I know the 3 bars on this prick is gonna be a job.

also, can you kill the giant fish? I got bit once then was able to just swim past before he retriggered and got to me again.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

codo27 posted:

I'm not sure which you mean. I really wish my play through of this hadn't been so fragmented, I have no idea what's going on. I was really looking forward to the final showdown with genichiro, but disappointed to find he's just a bitch made pushover. why or how is his great great great grandfather jumping out of his body? I only made a few attempts last night but I know the 3 bars on this prick is gonna be a job.

also, can you kill the giant fish? I got bit once then was able to just swim past before he retriggered and got to me again.

If you pick up some additional lore behind Isshin's private room, you'll learn that there's a second Mortal Blade called "Open Gate", which can bring back people at their prime strength.

Genichiro wanted to revive Isshin as his last resort because he could change the outcome of the war. Isshin on other hand is bound to honor his dying grandson's last wish. Not that he would refuse because Isshin loves to fight.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 28, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

codo27 posted:

Yes, but not with your sword - hide from him to swim past for now, there's a way to deal with him later

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

codo27 posted:

There’s a second Mortal Blade, recovered by Genichiro, that can open gates to the underworld and bring the dead back to life. There’s not much info about it, just a note you can get by Isshin’s room and some eavesdropping dialogue.

Second question: Yes, it’s through a puzzle that you can do after you stealth past him like you did. Buy enough items from Pot Nobles with treasure carp scales, and they’ll give you “truly precious bait.” Find the feeding platform, which you can get to now that you’re past the carp’s tunnel, and feed it to the carp. Then, warp to where you fought the Guardian Ape to find its body and loot some items.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

codo27 posted:

Ya you can murder it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
BOSSSS RUSH

https://blog.activision.com/sekiro/2020-07/Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-Free-Update

https://twitter.com/YasuhiroKitao/status/1288476394297520129?s=20

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I would have absolutely paid for a boss rush, new costumes, and player-made ghost recordings, but I'll gladly have it all for free.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sekiro: Shadows Update Twice

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ah loving YES. Not a dlc but more reason to keep playing this game.

People wanted a easy mode but From add a boss rush mode, haaha.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 29, 2020

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What exactly is boss rush?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Clanpot Shake posted:

What exactly is boss rush?

You fight each boss in the game in turn, usually without a break or the opportunity to get more collectables or what have you.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Thanks but this isn't it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

temple posted:

???

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

temple posted:

It's a free update that adds a feature people have wanted in every modern From game to date, seems pretty cool to me

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

temple posted:

How dare they release highly requested content for a game well after its release! And for free, too!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean October is ridiculous considering we aint got any Elden Ring news. I figured it was hitting this weekend or something.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Omg yesssss. This is fantastic.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

temple posted:

So...so what is..."it"?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So...so what is..."it"?

No update at all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So...so what is..."it"?

It's "it".

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don't get the appeal of boss rush mode so this update does nothing for me but happy for those who are happy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't get the appeal of boss rush mode so this update does nothing for me but happy for those who are happy about it

For a lot of people the bosses in Sekiro are the best fights in the game since they are quite a bit more varied and challenging than regular mooks.