Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Welp, I finally got it and the game crashes on startup. It even crashes Steam!! Sometimes I can play for like a minute, but it seems to tend to crash when either starting up or transitioning to/from loading screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bleh... I refunded this on Steam months ago because I couldn't play for more than a few minutes without crashing, but now that I tried buying it again on sale it's even worse. Is anyone familiar with issues involving the PC version of Sekiro crashing constantly? It's completely unplayable and I have no idea why.

I have a GTX 1060 with current drivers and an Intel i5-3570k, which as far as I know should be fine; during the few times I've actually been able to play the game it runs smooth as silk. The GPU temperatures are never unusual either. My motherboard is old (ASUS P8Z77-V LX) but up to date on drivers. I've tried switching the installation to a different hard drive, verifying the installation, switching between windowed/fullscreen, on lower graphics settings, and running with no background programs, but nothing seems to matter. The game will generally just completely stop either while loading (i.e. loading after the very first cutscene) or when moving around in-game, often resulting in Steam crashing or needing a system reboot.

Sorry if this is too tech supporty, but this is literally the only game or program that's given my computer any serious issues in years. I'll try testing my RAM tonight, although I think I did last time and regularly play RAM-intensive games with no crashes ever, so I'm fairly sure that hasn't been the secret issue this whole time. Has anyone heard of the PC version having mystery issues like this? Dark Souls games have always run great on this same machine and I've been waiting so long to cut mans.

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 2, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Martman posted:

Bleh... I refunded this on Steam months ago because I couldn't play for more than a few minutes without crashing, but now that I tried buying it again on sale it's even worse. Is anyone familiar with issues involving the PC version of Sekiro crashing constantly? It's completely unplayable and I have no idea why.

I have a GTX 1060 with current drivers and an Intel i5-3570k, which as far as I know should be fine; during the few times I've actually been able to play the game it runs smooth as silk. The GPU temperatures are never unusual either. My motherboard is old (ASUS P8Z77-V LX) but up to date on drivers. I've tried switching the installation to a different hard drive, verifying the installation, switching between windowed/fullscreen, on lower graphics settings, and running with no background programs, but nothing seems to matter. The game will generally just completely stop either while loading (i.e. loading after the very first cutscene) or when moving around in-game, often resulting in Steam crashing or needing a system reboot.

Sorry if this is too tech supporty, but this is literally the only game or program that's given my computer any serious issues in years. I'll try testing my RAM tonight, although I think I did last time and regularly play RAM-intensive games with no crashes ever, so I'm fairly sure that hasn't been the secret issue this whole time. Has anyone heard of the PC version having mystery issues like this? Dark Souls games have always run great on this same machine and I've been waiting so long to cut mans.
OMG hell yes, quoting myself because I finally found The Solution. In Windows 10, going to System Properties > Advanced > Performance (Settings) > Advanced > Virtual Memory (Change) and checking "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" completely fixed my problem and the game runs like a dream. Apparently my system wasn't allocating enough virtual memory before and maybe this game for some reason uses an excessive amount of it?

I think other people having the same problem seem to have similarly old (but still perfectly fine) machines running Windows 10. Either way though, if you have an issue like mine with constant crashing definitely give this a try!

Time to cut some mans after waiting so long.

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 2, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Good lord this game is good! As someone who found Dark Souls 3 to be kind of driving that formula into the ground, and also never getting the chance to play Bloodborne... this is everything I hoped it would be. I've managed to go unspoiled on a ton of the game, so I just had a real "oh drat" moment in the second Genichiro fight. I thought I had just made it kind of easy by exploring a ton of other stuff first, so it made sense to me that I kinda blew threw the fight... then whoops Lightning God mode and I instantly got poo poo on.

I've managed to cheese my way out of lost fights with the Homeward Idol a lot, but it's still hilariously nerve-wracking every time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh God, I feel like I did things in a weird order... I guess I had basically explored everything I could before the Genichiro fight on top of Ashina Castle (I needed the Gun Fort Shrine Key to progress further), so suddenly after that I had a massive dump of information and dialogue, followed by immediately teleporting back to Senpou to... play Ape Escape?

That was a lot. I felt like I had maybe seriously messed up the order when I realized Kuro's room somehow connects to the Sculptor's area (where I hadn't noticed a cave at all), but I'm guessing maybe that wasn't open at the start of the game?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah, I figured I hadn't missed something that huge. I do kinda regret waiting so long to fight Genichiro though... I didn't really mean to, I just happened to want to explore other stuff first, but then it turns out I had missed a lot of stuff that contextualized the journey.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh, the gameplay was great! It was just weird to go through the backlog of dialogue and realize I had skipped a lot of quest-giving type stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This game owns god drat. I've been getting into a groove where each boss takes two tries, and it just feels SO GOOD to wreck some dudes. Owl especially was one of the most fun boss fights I can think of in a recent game.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I definitely got real pissed at DoH, but by the time I beat him I did feel like I had mastered the fight. I think I'm just realizing that I fundamentally have way more fun fighting against smaller opponents in these games. DoH kinda felt like a generic Dark Souls boss so when I'd die it just felt out of place and off-putting.

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 9, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just beat it for the first time! I definitely completely missed the interesting ending branches; I kinda got thrown off by the way the plot unfolded once I waited as long as possible to fight Genichiro in the first place, so I ended up accidentally locking myself out of some stuff within a couple hours. Also missed a gourd seed somehow which I forgot to even check on before NG+ing! Oh well, still an awesome game.

I still find myself frustrated by how fiddly quest triggers can be in From Games, but overall I just completely love the amount of improvement across the board from the Dark Souls series to Sekiro. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I was never a Fashion Souls player and could never really get into Dexterity builds.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

AstroWhale posted:

Can you really lock yourself out of an ending before the dragon?
Excluding choosing to stay loyal to the owl.
Ehhh in retrospect it was definitely more than a couple hours. I think I may have binged the game a bit harder than I realized and some of it kinda blurred together. But basically I did Genichiro, got the Gun Fort Key and explored that whole area, and then in one more session pretty much immediately did Owl, went through the Hall of Illusion, and straight through Fountainhead. I hadn't left myself a ton of stuff left to explore so I didn't really think to hang around too much and look for quests. Also had no idea Dragon would lock me out of stuff so I just went for it.

tl;dr no, you can't lock yourself out before the dragon, I just did way too much stuff before finally fighting Genichiro and probably it was more like 4-5 hours.

Martman fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 10, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oof, I thought I could rush through my Shura run in like an hour so I did it all in one burst... Those two boss fights at the end owned me pretty hard, and as I learned the fights it started to seem like they specifically punish impatience more than most other fights. It was like Isshin knew I wanted to finish and go to bed, and was taunting me.

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 12, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oof, I'm about to finish getting all the achievements, except I'll still need like 25 skill points to max everything.

Does anyone have any favorite xp grinding spots? It seems like some of the highest xp/minute ones are utterly mindnumbing (like killing the 1 shinobi hunter near Ashina Castle - Antechamber over and over) so I'd rather do something at least mildly entertaining.

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 14, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That sounds good! I wish there was some way to trade gold for extra skill points... or just buy skills directly if they don't want you to buy attack power with gold.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm nope I'm pretty sure you arrived on a small amount of Owl's hair.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maya Fey posted:

that's what i'm doing but it's a bit insane how bosses give me like 0.27 skill points and i still have so many to get
If you really wanna grind it out it'll probably only take like an hour using some good end-game spots, but I agree it's pretty annoying.

Killing the interior ministry ninja dude at the Ashina Castle - Upper Tower - Antechamber statue (he's only there during the endgame, ie right before you fight the final boss on a non-Shura run) without Kuro's Charm on my fourth game gives like 4,500xp, and you can get him like 5 or 6 times a minute when you really get in the zone. It's not fun, but if you're into getting all da trophies it is probably the best you can do.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got all the trophies woot! 46 hours total, and about 45 of them were intensely fun. Having to grind xp as the last thing is kinda lame but it really was not enough to matter.

I kinda blew through Isshin SS on my first two runs; it was nice to do a charmless fourth game so I got the chance to get my poo poo utterly wrecked by him for a solid hour. When I finally beat him it was on a super close lightning return after having jumped too early and gotten shocked like 3 times... such a satisfying way to close it out.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Keeping your distance sounds a lot like... hesitation...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think that move does huge posture damage but no vitality damage, and the timing might be weirdly tight on deflecting it? Not sure. I've definitely gotten posture broken by it plenty of times but have also deflected it at full posture and been fine.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Once he busts out the spear I always do way better if I just stay up in his face the entire time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

JBP posted:

You must be a master then. I just get him to long range and he only has two options, jump and take damage or shoot gun as I run right and avoid it. Then his only option is run at you again and jump then take damage.

It feels like cheese.
Well you see, first, I simply don't hesitate. After that, victory is assured.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dying is fine! Just don't get defeated.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

JBP posted:

So when he gets the spear just run away. He will have to run at you. When he runs at you he has two options. One is a jumping attack you can run or dodge under and attack him. The other is he shoots you. If he shoots, just run parallel to safety. Then he will run at you again, but he will never shoot twice. Rinse and repeat to win.
A shameful and dishonorable strategy truly befitting a shinobi.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Do they ever explain why Sekiro is a hobbit?
It's all gonna be explained in Elden Ring

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

JBP posted:

It's a dogshit half cooked game op.
I disagree, I think Sekiro is great

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Reading the thread instead of just posting? But... hesitation is defeat

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I'm getting lot of freezing/crashing on PC ever since coming back after a break. I often freeze if I'm on a menu and don't hit a button for a while (although it has happened occasionally outside of menus) and I sometimes get crashes to desktop if there's a lot of stuff going on at once (lots of buildings on fire, something being sprayed into the camera, etc.)

I've tried everything I can think of: drivers are up-to-date, switching from full-screen to windowed, settings all to minimum, turned off overclocking on CPU and GPU, ran Steam as Admin and running in offline mode, turned off Steam controller compatibility. No dice.

Anyone else encounter this and manage to fix it?
Quoting so I can find my old post about this, I had an extremely weird crashing issue that was fixed by strange RAM shenanigans.

EDIT:

quote:

OMG hell yes, quoting myself because I finally found The Solution. In Windows 10, going to System Properties > Advanced > Performance (Settings) > Advanced > Virtual Memory (Change) and checking "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" completely fixed my problem and the game runs like a dream. Apparently my system wasn't allocating enough virtual memory before and maybe this game for some reason uses an excessive amount of it?

I think other people having the same problem seem to have similarly old (but still perfectly fine) machines running Windows 10. Either way though, if you have an issue like mine with constant crashing definitely give this a try!

Time to cut some mans after waiting so long.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

All of a sudden the game has started randomly hanging for 5 or so seconds, for no apparent reason. This never happened during my first playthrough and as far as I can tell nothing has meaningfully changed on my computer or in the game. What could be causing this??
When I initially tried to play this game it would consistently crash so, probably different problem. Turned out to be a super weird virtual memory issue that I only encountered in this game; maybe it could cause pauses that don't fully crash it on a different system.

If you're in Windows 10, try going to System Properties > Advanced > Performance (Settings) > Advanced > Virtual Memory (Change) and checking "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives." If this is already checked, then I guess that's not the problem! I think it may have only been unchecked for me because I was on an old system that got upgraded to windows 10 and some stuff was... odd.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

This is a really fantastic strategy guide to Sekiro’s combat.

https://youtu.be/g5Mi7zvYkkA
This one is way better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcOUnXd-HQ

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

multijoe posted:

I choose to believe the game is taking so long because they're producing an open world game of unparalleled design and scope for the Soulslike genre which will one day be refered to with the same reverance as BOTW and Morrowind and not because it's in development hell, GRRM is holding them up for some inane reason and it's already gone through four failed prototypes without producing a satisfying gameplay model :)
No I think they're just still working on the horse testicle simulation

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really love how for all that Sekiro was advertised as bull-bustingly hard and less forgiving than Dark Souls and stuff, it's actually ONLY the combat itself that is hard as gently caress. In every other way the quality of life is better, platforming and vertical exploration and stuff is safer (on top of just being insanely good), the punishing mechanics are less punishing, you sometimes just don't even lose anything on death, etc.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

idk, having not played much of the other From games (except Armored Core, lol), it seems to me that Sekiro actually has a lot of tools. for the most part, i just stuck to sword and deflect and Floating Passage, with the occasional shuriken or flame vent, but it seems like there's a lot of tactical variety offered by the other combat arts and tools. like, you don't NEED to firecracker and ash spam any boss to death, but you can if you really want to.
I agree, but I can see people viewing the focus on deflecting attacks as limiting the strategy.

Personally, I think Dark Souls combat started to get bogged down by the presence and importance of dodge-rolling, and deflection is honestly fairly similar in its timing. But like, you WILL deflect boss attacks or you are going to lose at Sekiro, whereas I guess people could focus on builds in Dark Souls that let them not worry about iframes as much.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"Are you... Shura?"

>yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For some reason with both Owl fights I always felt that among all the bosses he was particularly vulnerable to just going full-on insane offense and never relenting. There are a surprising amount of instances where you can get chip damage in on him even when he's trying to dodge away from you and stuff, and sometimes multiple hits even.