Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

vandalism posted:

Pretty sure it's close to the end game.

does he have a name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

lady butterfly is a broken fight. I've never seen a boss be so hopelessly stunlocked from the most basic attacks to the point where someone who's never played a video game before could beat her by pressing two buttons over and over until she dies. not sure how that one got passed testing

ed:sp

Even without the combat art cheeze I beat her just by attacking sidestep attacking and that looped her until death.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Has anyone messed around with Sabimaru? How good is it and its upgrades?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is there any lore about the Centipedes and their immortality?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

do the same skill stack? such as orin's dropped skill and the version you can spend skill pts on?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gently caress OWl (Father)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if we're immortal how did we permanantly lose our arm. whyd it not just grow back or whatever

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

enojy posted:

Agreed. I don't know if that debuff lasts as long as the animation or what, but it sure appears to be a whopping 2 seconds. Plus, that delay seems sorta pointless, and gets me in trouble more often than not. I prefer the previous upgrade, the instant, longlasting, "motherfuckin' bootleg fireworks poo poo" version.

Also I tried the Lazurite Axe against Lady Butterfly in NG+, which supposedly dispels illusions... it didn't do poo poo, they messed up the gimmick in that fight, just continue to run around or pillar hump to avoid.

the debuff is a purple thing on them that lasts a decent time ~5s?. I couldn't really tell a difference tho but I didn't test it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Welp that monkey is wrecking my poo poo
Any way to dodge that scream ?

Theres a tell so run away, alternatively use an umbrella

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wow he didn't do the stupid shotgun projectile a single time to you.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Your Computer posted:

if you mean the one where he shoots a line of fireballs, he did (0:36 for example), I just managed to get close enough that it went past me. It was the attack I had the most problems with in all my attempts and the only two reliable ways I could find to deal with it was to get close before the attack goes off (like in the video) or, if that's not possible, wait for the attack to start and then run away before running back in.

Yeah that attack and the sweep gave me the most problems. I wound up just waiting bc every time I'd rush he'd just smack me with it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

this is probably entirely baseless speculation, but does anyone else think the old lady who guides you around fountainhead is Tomoe? (minor lategame spoilers)

Its 2 sisters

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dyzzy posted:

How'd they die in the end? I can't remember anything about that part

They did the same ritual but without the mortal blade and it somehow sorta worked? Assumedly all they did was transfer the blood to Kuro. Maybe he's even carrying them like the Divine Child is carrying Kuro?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I think since the goal of the ritual was to get Takeru to the Divine Realm, the lack of the mortal blade wasn't an issue. The mortal blade was needed by our gang to sever immortality and to get Sekiro some of Kuro's blood for the incense. I guess to send the divine heir there himself the required conditions were slightly different.

It's definitely a bit vague.

Which is weird bc Tomoe seems to be from their? The Tomoe symbol is there and she seems to be an Okami warrior.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

And the everblossom's existence also implies that Takeru had been there before and returned. So yeah there's quite a bit that's not fully explained.

Apparently the word for Fountainhead 源 is Minamoto of which the real Tomoe Gozen married.

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 6, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

il serpente cosmico posted:

Maybe it's the fatigue talking, but I just got to NG+ shinboi owl and he's an absolute motherfucker. I think I might be done, which is a shame, because I really would like to see the purification ending through because I missed the unique boss fight required for that, but I just don't know if I have it in me. A fresh play through honestly sounds more fun than continuing through NG+.

I'll give him another crack tomorrow. I think I might just need to be more patient, because each of his hit do stupidly high damage.

That's a very very patient fight. What in particular is giving you trouble? For me I just had to make sure I didn't get pinned against the wall for his unblockable explosion.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think they were right to put it late. If it was earlier people wouldn't try out many skills.

Good. They all suck anyway

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

:bang:

They love the games. They don't have to love mastering the combat to love the games.

But the games 90% combat with 10% lore being hidden behind cryptic mistranslated text in item descriptions. Might as well read FF13s databooks if you want combat you don't need to master and menu text dumps at least then its not cryptic and mistranslated.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Why does the spear suck poo poo outside of two boss battles?

I actually liked it a lot it does a lot of poise damage and hits a bunch.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Your Computer posted:

yeah! It's also crazy to see how big of a difference the prayer beads actually make for your posture, there are attacks from bosses that basically fill my entire posture meter even when I deflect them so even a single mistimed deflect means a broken posture

anyway I did some science (excuse the 0 hp, he refused to do the attack now that I needed him to so I opted to just use CE and wait around for him to do it)

https://i.imgur.com/mjjXsgq.mp4

this is before and after the combo

so yeah, not exactly huge posture damage :v: In fact that's less than a single Mikiri Counter, and far, far more dangerous.

Is that with the posture damage skill too?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can someone give me some vague clue about how to get to the good ending? I got the sense that it's a secret that I have to do before a certain point a la Bloodborne and its umbilical cords. I just beat Owl

You're already locked into the good ending, its just the better and true ending you have to do stuff for.

Digirat posted:

How many endings are available if you side with owl when he tells you to betray kuro? I'm going to do that this time but not sure if I want to do it on NG+ or start over and do it on NG.

Just the 1, the game basically ends right there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Can someone make a webm of the iron giant from DS1 falling with Robertooo as the sound?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Imhotep posted:

FWIW I did the stuff for the ‘secret’ ending without looking it up, as far as I know. I was a bit unsure if I should get rice from her, when she was seemingly passed out due to pain, and when I came back and she had the door shut in pain. But from what I read, I guess I missed out on the memory stuff? That kind of sucks, I don’t know if I want to do it on NG+, but I already beat like 5 bosses/mini bosses including the Ape, Seven Spears, the lone shadow in the well, and I’m not sure who else with the demon bell on because I’d read somewhere that it didn’t affect bosses. But it just makes them harder, I guess it was good training for ng+. Also the price increase for spirit emblems was annoying, and I went back and rang the demon bell again for extra drops, and was worried that’s what made the price go up, but it has been since then, and it’s at 50 now. I’m at Fountainhead Palace rn, tho, and I haven’t seen Isshin with Emma, so idk if she’ll go back so I can eavesdrop on her

You can still get the memory as long as you haven't killed the boss of fountainhead yet, hug a wall in Kuro's room

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Imhotep posted:

Wow, thank you, I started the very first boss, but I keep failing at getting the first death blow, so I’m gonna try that. I thought I tried it but I’d always bonker my way into the room knocking over piles of books. I’ll try to grapple up to the room and not warp there.

You can warp you just gotta hug a wall

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Imhotep posted:

Hm, yeah, I guess the only reason I thought that I might have locked myself out of it is because I thought I'd tried hugging a wall and also tried hugging it outside where I could see inside, but I'd maybe needed to speak to him about important plot stuff, I have no idea. I will keep trying, as I don't want to lock myself out of two potential memories (and trophies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtTzZep8gNQ

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Speaking of Bloodborne

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

gently caress it here's the whole trophy list on PS4 for ppl interested

Plat: 2.4%
All Bosses: 3.6%
All Areas: 22.4%
All Prosthetics: 3.9%
All Skills: 2.8%
All Ninjutsu: 23.7%
All Beads: 6.9%
All Seeds: 16.2%
Severence Ending: 9.5%
Purification Ending: 5.3%
Return Ending: 6.5%
Shura Ending: 5.5%
Sword Saint Isshin: 12%
Master A Style: 26.2%
Lazulite Upgrade: 11.4%
Got Sword: 99.4%
Got Prosthetic: 96.8%
Memorial Mob: 68.5%
Resurrected: 94.2%
Horseboy: 61.6%
Butterfly: 48.8%
Genichiro: 38.4%
Guardian Ape: 30.5%
Headless Ape: 23.7%
Folding Monkeys: 34.4%
Owl 1: 23.1%
Owl 2: 7.6%
Monk: 21.8%
Dragon: 19.5%
Normal Isshin: 5.5%
Demon: 11.5%
Great Serpent: 26.7%
Great Carp: 15.0%

Observations: I was wrong about the Isshin dropoff bc they reversed the positions of Isshin in the trophy list from where they would logically be. It's only a 7.5% drop, not a 14% drop, though that's still a substantive one. The places where people seem to get stonewalled or quit are right after getting out of the tutorial, Butterfly, Genichiro, and Guardian Ape. People who get past G-Ape seem to cruise through most of the rest of the game, and then there's a substantial drop at the very end when you hit the optional arguable superbosses and the final boss. Other interesting stuff imo: the handful of people who get halfway through the tutorial and quit (got sword but not prosthetic) and the handful of people who mastered every single skill but didn't bother to plat the game. More people get Return than Purification, which is interesting, but I understand why: Purification is gatekept by a boss while Return isn't, and Return is generally seen as the "true" or "best" ending by the majority of players, so people who do the conditions for all of them probably pick Return.

How does 3 of the endings that require you to beat Sword Saint add up to like 21% but he's only been killed 12%?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How many times are you supposed to hit the Armored Warrior with the spear prosthetic before his poo poo comes off? I've nailed him like 7 times and he's still not taking any vitality damage.

his armor isn't ill fitting at all so its never gonna work

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

Just amazed at how speed runners are breaking this game the new cheese for Genichiro is to get him stuck on the door and is being tested on the others bosses in the same arena

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrowdedBoxyJuiceBigBrother

a clip

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some damage stuff

Divine Confettis a 25% buff (increased to 37.5% against apparitions) - it also does chip damage.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Imhotep posted:

I realized that using bestowal on those seemingly innocuous geckos who spit white stuff in Fountainhead will turn your blade white, or I realized that when my sword became poisonous.

The white geckos give you lifesteal

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

:monocle:
well, she has some relevant dialogue, at least.

also: does anyone know best spot for Grave Wax? I need 5 more for lazulite shurikens

Fountainhead Palace should be the best.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I just beat Owl dad at the castle roof top and it’s not clear to me where I should go now.

talk to kuro

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I need a guide for the game which details what bosses are optional, which bosses are chokepoints, which way to progress for the smoothest difficulty curve, any instances where you can raise your overall power-level on the side, and what are the points of no return.

For instance: Dark Souls 1 there are 8 or so bosses you can fight after the tutorial and X weapons lying around early on that are appropriate for Y's build. You can get a +10 weapon before the mid-game if you farm in these places. You can skip most of DS2's bosses for later and easily upgrade your estus. You have to git gud against Iudex Gundyr before you can do anything in DS3.

I know Sekiro is a lot more ruthless in forcing you to git gud but as a first timer I'd like to exhaust every possible avenue to increase my survivability.

Chokepoint bosses: Ogre, Gyoubu, Bull, Genchiro, Snake Eyes, Mist Noble, Corrupted Monk, Guardian Ape, Armored Knight, Monkeys, Owl/Emma/Isshin, (DD, Satan)

I think that's all of em

Gammymajams posted:

Does the game every unlock a mode where you can fight just the bosses and mid-bosses you've beaten before? The immortal guy is better than nothing but his moveset is quite predictable compared to a lot of bosses. I scraped past a couple of bosses with a bit of luck but I'd like to go back and master those fights.

Nope

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Did Sekiro kill Roberto or something and he's out for revenge? I didn't quite get what his deal was.

He came over searching for a way to cure his sick son and funded it selling firecrackers. Presumably the Ogre's are part of his troupe (that ate red lumps and got captured) because they're also huge and european looking.

"Makes a deafening sound, frightening to animals. Sold by little Robert and his father to raise funds for their travels.

Their voyage brought them to Japan, where they would seek the "Undying" in an attempt to extend Robert's life."

"Robert's father came from afar across seas to the south, in search of the Undying. Repelling a thousand blades was a small price for the blessing of rejuvenation..."

Kild fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 14, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh those guys

Still don't think they're with him but fair enough

Well they're clearly european looking (blonde hair very tall) and red lumps are some proto immortality thing. Also they know all the sick wrestling moves.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BardoTheConsumer posted:

My personal feeling about it (final boss spoiler) is that the divine child has literally placed him within her body, in a... purer..? version of how Isshin was inside Genichiro regenerating. It might even be the same sort of technique, which Genichiro discovered in his own quest for the Return ending.

It's like poetry, it rhymes. Only, you know, for real and not a hack job.

Isshin was summoned using the blood of an immortal (even a lovely one) from the netherworld using the "gate" mortal blade (we have the "gift of tears" blade)

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 19, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Node posted:

I did it. I beat the game! It turns out attempting to cheese it from strategies shown on youtube just drew the battle out and made it harder. Man moding it like a real shinobi was the answer. The first two phases I took zero damage. drat, that was more intense than any Souls boss.

well he does say come at me sekiro and dont hesitate.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Divine Dragon's called Sakura Ryu in japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

When the Divine Child refers to being a cradle I think she means more like a medium? She seems very heavily based on an Itako. She becomes blind and cold (Rice->Fine Snow) after getting the kami snake parts - which is for a marriage ritual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itako