Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Been playing through this game the past few weeks, really loving it, just a bit stuck at the moment, or at least dreading where to go next.

So, it took me quite awhile to get a hang of the combat in this game, like, by the time I beat the ogre, the sculptor and the merchant guy you meet in the memory both had dragonrot. Glad that turns out to have not been a huge problem as the game went on.

I got to Gyoubu the Demon and Lady Butterfly about the same time, Gyuoubu wasn't so bad, especially since I already had the fireworks, kinda sad those don't work on illusions though, had a bit more trouble with Lady Butterfly.
The big fire bull was when I finally got deflecting down, and after it, went around fighting all the generals in Ashina Palace, got the spear, the poison sword, decided to be a huge jerk and send that one samurai to the creepy doctors, I was sure it was a bad idea, but had to try, I like that the memorial mob shames you. I fought the guy in the dojo, and it's really cool that you only need to deflect one of his flurry attacks to take out a life bar.
Genichiro, of course he would turn into a loving lightning god, I nearly beat his Tomoe form the first time, but hosed up a lightning reversal. Got frustrated and went to the top of Senpou Temple instead. Gave the crying guy the white pinwheel and later spirited him away, surprisingly wholesome. I suppose if I had given him the red and white one, he might've stuck around and I could've sent him to the doctors or the merchant looking for help? Dunno.
The armoured knight was really funny. :darksouls:

Defeated the electric jerk, freed Kuro (trying to agree with him and going against your code was another funny moment)
Went back the temple, met the monumental, got the mortal sword, made a plan to maybe give the heritage back to the dragon instead of severing it, went and fought two gun ladies, killed the giant snake in a very metal moment (seriously Sekiro just drenched in blood after that is amazing), was really confused about a big empty blood stained cave, until I came back after defeating the guardian ape for the first time.
Both those fights were fun and wild, "Wait, why is it a Shinobi Execution after one life bar? Hmm nothings happening... oh no." to "Hmm, he didn't use the Mortal Blade on that execution did he?" The two apes at once, at first seemed overwhelming, but was surprisingly pretty easy to manage. I love it.

I think that's about it, I just mastered all the shinobi skills, so got the fusion moves from Tengu, who has now disappeared, while Isshin will still only speak of the mortal blade, Emma is just now is talking to me about finding a way to not kill Kuro, Blackhat Badger has said he's heading back to the palace for ages now. There's the headless back in the outskirts I need to defeat, one in the pond behind the palace. (I must be missing some skill or item that lets me swim underwater, with that, the carp, the moat, and what looked like an item in the well). There's also the whole hidden forest, and the building with the flute playing that I can't seem to get into. Oh, and now there's another one of those ghost warrior things in the ape cave. I think it might be the woman the sculptor trained with, it did whistle at one point I'm pretty sure.

Not sure which endgame plan to go with, on one hand Sekiro would absolutely do anything to save Kuro, but on the other, isn't this girl why Genichiro is immortal? Easedropping on Isshin makes it sound like he has a black mortal blade, and that would explain the dead centipede monk I conveniently found these plans on. Allthough, if we're recreating a dragon, what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Just my guess, still haven't gotten to any end.

wyoming posted:

I think it might be the woman the sculptor trained with, it did whistle at one point I'm pretty sure.

Nevermind, it seems the whistle is just part of the spooky undead fight music, can't get the timing down with the headless, the slow-mo is truly a nightmare. Though the note about the haunting in the ape cave did mention a woman crying, and it seems the ape killed her, so I dunno.

Found a new path in the forest, and you know, after all the problems I had with the drunk in the memory, beating down this glutton was cathartic as gently caress.
I only ended up beating the drunk by finding a way to grab his attention, hide and then backstab him, I think until the bull I didn't realize you can deflect big attacks, as it were.
RIP that attention grabbing samurai buddy.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
You know, the moment Kuro wanted to stay in the palace, I knew it was a bad idea, both from everyone murmuring about the tides of war, and you know, me killing all the generals.
And now there's creeps and bamboo bridges everywhere.
I did get a weird moment where after noticing I was locked out of the palace I went back to the temple and Emma was just hanging out, watching the Sculptor with nothing to say.

Anyway, so the thing playing the flute... was that supposed to be a fight? Could I have just told it to knock it off?
I feel kinda bad. Also, what the hell was it?
I'm guessing the crying lady playing music is what that one samurai heard, and he was who she was looking for. Though given she seems some sorta vengeful ghost, I don't know that sending him here would be a happy ending either. I'll find out next game I suppose.
Speaking of the doctors, I found my way behind "them" and stole the book, and after that the dazed samurai disappeared and the guy is mad his master isn't talking to him anymore, so I don't know if I broke whatever happens next, or if some undying samurai is roaming the land. Fun!

Not sure what the say about the monk, while it wasn't super hard, I'm glad it wasn't another guardian ape.
I've now been going throughout the game finding all pools, found another headless, and some strange bait.

Also I took the scented stone into the palanquin and was not wed to the snake god, gonna give this game 0/10.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tarezax posted:

Take a swim back through the passage from the dungeon to Senpou Temple, there's something new along the way

Ah, I was too busy exploring underwater to check up there, would it have just been the samurai had I checked first? Because by the time I went back the doctor was gone from the cell and all redeyed as well.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is Emma still hanging out with the Sculptor? If so, did you try eavesdropping on them?

Ah poo poo, no. I've never seen the easedrop prompt on him, so I didn't think to try.
From all the sake I've given the two of them, I do know he was the monkey that saved her, and ended up raising her until the doctor adopted her.

I did however get to easedrop on Isshin and Emma, who again, seem oddly calm about the whole castle being overrun thing.

Fighting the ogre in that little room was pretty fun, I like being able to clown on these previous bosses that gave me so much trouble.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Oh goddamnit, I knew the moment you get stabbed in the back in the memory that the big gently caress off sword was Owl's
And sure enough, there he is, demanding you give up the Dragon Heritage.
I'm guessing this is the first fight where contact medicine will be useful. That jerk and his smoke.

Also super glad I went back and killed that purple jerk on the pagoda a bunch out of petty revenge once I got his moves down, turned out to be useful for this part of the game!

In other news, I defeated two of the four headless I know about (the one in the Outskirts and the one in the pond behind the palace) and it's really neat they turned out to be the heroes from the candy. Went back to Senpou to see if maybe those statues lost their heads instead! (I'm assuming those are the heroes anyway) but no change, though the crickets in there don't seem to care about me anymore. Don't know if that's a bug :v:, because I have the stone, or if they're just not jerks like the crickets in the dungeon.
Holding off on the other two as I'm low on confetti.

Now to the thing in the ape cave. :skeltal:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Any tips for the Dad fight.
I mean, the real Dad fight.
The dude is a huge bastard, but I can't even be mad because of how beautifully he counters you. :allears:
It's honestly more how I was expecting the fight at the palace to go, guess the last few years have been rough on him.

Your Computer posted:

yeah, in my challenge run I used the charged attack to force her to deflect and got through the fight without her summoning any

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNYgLRMxwB0

Pretty sure you're a wizard. But seriously, these videos are neat.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming posted:

Not sure what the say about the monk, while it wasn't super hard, I'm glad it wasn't another guardian ape.

Just wanna :lol: that I posted this.
tbf I was expecting to find the real monk later, just, like maybe a Maiden Astraea, or the gatekeeper of Byrgenworth situation. Oh well.
The first time I was fighting her, when she disappears and the shadows pop up, I instantly noped out with the grapple points, which got me above the fog to see the real one, and I got that instant drop kill on her.
Absolutely love how this game telegraphs things.
I got pretty much instantly killed by the centipede vomit though, so it took a few tries before I got the new moves down, wild to be able to get to the last form of a boss like that without getting hit at all.

So after exploring a bit of the fountainhead palace and getting some lightning thrown at me, I think I'll now go back to fight Dad.

Or maybe the other two headless now that I have unlimited access to confetti :getin:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dr Christmas posted:

I found the white pinwheel

When I first read this, I thought it was about the Mist Noble, like, in reference to the Dark Souls boss.

That was my immediate thought after fighting it anyway.

Dr Christmas posted:

I guess the next major boss is atop Ashina Castle, but I don't know which way that is.

If you got to the valley, that means you either started climbing up the castle and either jumped into the water or got to the antechamber and jumped down to the ground floor. Right?
Either way, just follow the pink smoke and nightjar ninjas, there's a window you can grapple into, eventually there's an optional, but pretty fun boss in the dojo, and you'll be able to get to the top easily from there.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Okay Owl Daddy is kicking my butt, but I like this fight.
I was pretty impressed the first couple times I tried to stab him and ended up getting mikiri countered and murdered to death.

Have you gotten to stage two yet? 'cause I thought I finally had the fight down and, oh boy.
So many people have dragon rot. :ohdear:

Nuns with Guns posted:

You won't be able to go down both of the branching paths until you beat the boss on top of Ashina Castle.

So I know the gun fort is locked, but what stops you from going to Mibu Village?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
No, you shut the gently caress up dad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdGdGvXvSCU
Here's me finally defeating Owl, just barely. Oh man, what a fight.
Watching back the video, I definitely start panicking when he's close to halfway, and start messing up the dodges, especially with those drat fireworks. So many stupid deaths.

Oh yeah, also this happens.

:c00l:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dr Christmas posted:

One surprise I forgot to mention about my weekend Sekiro sessions: I got two rot essences, the sculptor and the Crow Mob, from a single death. So I guess there’s a random element to it? Or was it because I had previously cured a few guys’ rot?

I've gotten three before, so it feels pretty random.

1redflag posted:

Can you use a snap seed to make the second ape disappear?

I wonder if Malcontent works on it...

I just used fireworks, you can take it out pretty quick while the headless ape screams.

There is a really neat trick with that boss though.
When it does it does the attack where it raises the sword up and kinda falls as it brings it down, while he's down on his knees you can use the spear grab for some extra damage.
It pulls the centipede out of his body. :unsmigghh:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Everything in the Fountainhead Palace is strange and squishy, and really easy to kill.
It's making me feel really uneasy, like I shouldn't be here. :ohdear:

Also I can't say I was expecting the mask to function that way when you put it back together.
Really, I was hoping it would let me dance. Interesting though.

Now I'm off to apparently to kill a carp for a pot.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The Divine Realm is very silly place.

Also, I cannot believe there is a third goddamn drunk.
At this rate, I feel like when I finally find the sculptor he's gonna have transformed into an ogre.
Though really, all his talk of rage and fire, nothing good is gonna happen. :ohdear:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Same and I love it so much.

Yeah, I kind of love that the game just throws you into it, and while you can kinda brute force most of the way, the bosses are there to put you to shame, but when the combat finally clicks, it gets real good.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Ice Fist posted:

Oh.

Oh no.

You sweet child. You sweet sweet child.

It wasn't until I read this that I remembered that Emma said she wanted to be ready to kill a demon, and that Isshin took Orangutan's arm off because of some bloodlust taking over him.
Ooh boy though. I saw people in this thread and others speaking of the demon, I wasn't expecting it to be our grumpy buddy.
Love the design, a nice mix of silly and "oh holy poo poo", haven't seriously tried fighting him yet, did find out Malcontent works on him though!

Also :rip: good guy Badger and that pirate merchant.

Oh, oh, I also love that the monkey's regrouped and took back the serpent shrine.
This game. :allears:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So rather than tackle the demon, I went and faced the spear in the reservoir, because I rightly assumed he had the last prayer bead. What a pushover, what a chump. But hell yeah, that health bar.

I did try the demon a few times though, haven't found the right dodges and such, but did get him to the halfway point.
That huge fire wave he does in the second phase fucks me up.
Doesn't feel as insurmountable as Dad did.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Demon exercised, RIP, you silly old monkey.

I thought it was funny, even though it thanks you, by name, Sekiro didn't realize who it was.
Looking it up though, it seems that only happened because I missed that easedrop at the temple.
All these little things in From games.

Whew boy that (I assume) final boss.
When I easedropped on that last Spear I wasn't entirely sure if he meant they were going to figuratively resurrect Ashina the land or literally resurrect Ashina the lord, so while I wasn't surprised by who the real boss is, I was not expecting it to happen that way.
This game is wild.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Well... Done... Sekiro...

That final bossfight, so satisfying.
The first time I got to Isshin, the Sword Saint's second phase, was the time I beat him.
I probably died more to failing to dodge Genichiro's mortal draw than I did to his first form.
Nearly died to failing a lightning reversal though, but a sweet rice ball saved me, thank you Divine children.

So I did end up going for the Return ending.
After giving the strange little girl the "persimmons", I felt kind of bad for suspecting ill intent from her.
It's still... pretty weird though.

Got to the ogre in NG+ without dying, I don't remember his grabs being so hard to dodge before... Though this whole, "path of hardship" thing is interesting.
To think, NG was in easy mode :v:

I decided to look at my missing trophies, and they were mostly what I was expecting, but then I saw the missing boss fight... and the fourth ending choice I didn't have.
I was assuming it might have something to do with the red lumps... but, looking it up, I wondered what would happen if you agreed with that character.
Didn't want to spoil the fight or how it plays out, but wild you can end the game that way.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Genichiro is weak, but I found it's easy to gently caress up real fast against him, I feel I died to him more times than the old man.
But when I got past him, it only took five or six tries to get to the second phase? It wasn't a lot.
Also spear enemies are ridiculously easy in this game, it's like, the reverse of Dark Souls.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
After Gyoubu being a pain the first time around, wiping the floor with him in NG+ felt real good.

But then I somehow kept messing up parrying the bull?
Ah well, still an easy fight.

Though the charmless buildup of status ailments seems like it's gonna be a real pain.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Also up there with people playing this game insanely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVfOd68_pU&t=2635s
Spending an hour fighting the last boss without any upgrades.

Trip Hazard posted:

That usage of Mist Raven is completely new to me. Definitely trying it out when I next get to SSI

Hell I'm gonna try it when I get to the third form of Genichiro.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming posted:

Hell I'm gonna try it when I get to the third form of Genichiro.

Trip report, doesn't work.
When you fly up in the air he rushes right at you, so the lightning always missed him.
I forgot how desperate he gets in that third phase, he just does not let up.

Also I discovered something crazy, decided to see what would happen if you gently caress up the snake kill.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/1166860417181708289

It carried me across the threshold, I guess we're married now.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The first time I got the Wedding Cave I thought maybe that giant rope would lower so I could climb it.
Halfway right! It slamming down on you is hilarious though. I love that straw man.

Though speaking of hilarious, watching someone stream I saw for the first time what happens when you get Enfeebled.
I always killed the flute guys before the meter built up, so I just assumed it was Terror.
Neat that them eating vitality is actually a mechanic though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I killed her with the mid-air deathblow.
One of the few times I got that to work.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I got to the Fountainhead Palace, and got the last four pieces of lapis I needed for upgrades.
And I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to go to NG++ so decided to take the charm back and see how big of a difference it really makes.
And wow, that's really day and night.
But now I feel that I've not only cheated the game, but myself.
:negative:

WaltherFeng posted:

You can get more gold in NG+ because minibosses drop bags. NG+ is also very fun with all the upgrades.

I haven't even used any of the bags I've gotten, and yeah, swimming in gold.
I was disappointed with how early Sen Throw stopped scaling.
Still hilarious though.

Dr Christmas posted:

According to the wiki, I’m missing 5 carp scales, and I only need one more to buy the divine grass that’s the only remaining thing in the carp noble’s stock. But I couldn’t find anything.

If you haven't killed the big carp yet, the big caretaker guy will give you scales for feeding him the normal bait.
There's also the priest in Mibu.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I didn't mind the Demon fight, not anywhere close to the best fight (Dad) but it wasn't frustrating.
And the lore, the heartbreaking lore! :cry:

That exploit is hilarious though, and bonus because it let's you explore that area that gets cut off.
Not that there's anything there, but still, neat.

Blaziken386 posted:

IIRC, the general consensus of the "all skills" achievement is that it takes until NG +3 or +4, because of how the exp requirements scale. So, uh, you'll be at it a while, if you try to grind for it.

Yeah, I pretty much only have SSI left in NG+ and need about 18 more levels to max out.
Also I see there's a skill from the Shura ending, so imagine I need that.

Contra Duck posted:

yo from software where’s my dlc I wanna fight tomoe already

Nah, Shura Orangutan.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Xtreme Xecution

I was honestly a bit afraid the repositioning from Shinobi execution might throw me off the edge.

I still died more to Genichiro and had zero problems with SSI second and third forms.
I think it's entirely the style, sure at this point Genichiro is at his weakest, however he's desperate, and willing to give everything, gently caress up even once and it's easy to die to him.
Isshin on the other hand, I believe he's having fun, he's not going easy on you, but it feels like more of a spar. Unless it's one of his big telegraphed attacks, it doesn't feel you get as punished for loving up.
I mean, he's still a daunting challenge, he's just not a dirty fighter. (well, except for maybe that gun)

I think that's why Isshin is my favourite character, at any point after you first defeat Genichiro, he could tell his men to not attack you, but he never would. Both because he's curious to see what you can do, but also he probably doesn't want any soldiers that couldn't stand up to a lone shinobi. (and sure, yeah, gameplay reasons) Also he's the most fun to get drunk.
Forget Owl, Isshin is dad now.

The Purification ending is sad, but those last sakura petals were neat. I love this game.
Now on to the Shura ending :black101:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I learned the blue flames don't cause fear in the red eyed ogre. :(

Trip Hazard posted:

It's a complete pain in the arse getting that ending. How anybody managed it before the walkthroughs became available, I'll never know

I went Senpou early due to being frustrated by Genichiro, the quest has a natural enough flow when you get the monk asking you to give Holy Chapter to the girl.
But yeah, if you never go there early, I could see not picking up on that thread.

I also stumbled into freeing Yuria in Demon's Souls the first time I played it, it's a good part luck and the rest is falling in line with the video game logic.

I feel like the Shura ending is the one I'd likely have never stumbled into.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Trip Hazard posted:

I've never seen that monk there. Well, I have, in a let's play, but he's never been there for me. My first time through, I did Senpou before Genichiro, but he wasn't there. What's up with that?

Hmm, did you maybe defeat the ape or monk before going there?
I have no idea, but maybe it's tied more to a time passing trigger, than a defeating Genichiro one.
Lots of bizarre triggers like that in Dark Souls.

GodFish posted:

My second playthrough I went there before doing Genichiro and the monk was there but he never had dialog about the Divine Child.

You find out about the holy person at Senpou from that old lady praying on the Ashina drawbridge, I imagine talking to her let's you ask the monk about it.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's way more straightforward than the other one that requires an eavesdrop to start.

Ice Fist posted:

The purification ending is far more obtuse imo.

Yeah, I could see missing that. In general I tried to easedrop on everyone though.
I did miss when Orangutan was talking to Emma about the flames and all the first time around, but I kinda like Sekiro being clueless about the demon's identity
And it is pretty funny that later in the Purification quest, the sculptor will comment on how drafty the temple is, letting you know to easedrop then.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming posted:

Hmm, did you maybe defeat the ape or monk before going there?
I have no idea, but maybe it's tied more to a time passing trigger, than a defeating Genichiro one.
Lots of bizarre triggers like that in Dark Souls.

Tried this my current run, and while it did become overcast and snowy after defeating the corrupted monk, the centipede monk was still in Senpou. (though i didn't pick up the stone)
What was interesting though was I went back after defeating Genichiro but before talking to Isshin about the mortal blade, the monk was still there, but he refused to talk anymore.

This is also the first run where I defeated Genichiro before talking to Tengu, so I actually got to give that letter in Isshin's room to Emma for once. No special dialogue talking to Tengu though. Or when you go back to Emma after talking to him.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Found something interesting this last run, if you defeat the monk before Genichiro, later when the sun starts to set the phantoms that spawn are Mibu villagers instead of Ashina samurai. They spawn in larger numbers and have grabs that are one hit kills. Fun stuff!

Dr Christmas posted:

I made a few trips back to the Divine Child for rice and dipped into my reserves of Divine Grass and Jizo statues. I even used the two unique ones from Jinzaemon when I thought I could get it.

Haha same, I hate the first phase of SSI, so that plus fire was just.... ugh.
I think I powered through it, if not the first, then the second time I got to the third phase.
Never got hit by his throw, because after dying to Emma a ton, I got that tell down.
I really liked the Emma fight, kind of a shame she wasn't the big boss, she certainly killed me more than Isshin ever has....

Overall the Shura ending was kinda underwhelming. Though it is funny that owl apparently offs Genichiro while you're fighting Emma and Isshin. And his bulging eyes of terror when he realizes what Sekiro has become is pretty good.

Now I only need to get the bog standard ending and I'll have platinum, going back to NG for that, kinda forgetting what this game is like when you're weak and unarmed.
:dadjoke:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
NG charmless has been pretty wild, I decided to give Genichiro a legit fight, and immediately lost because I forgot I didn't have Mikiri counter yet. :thumbsup:
I then proceeded to pretty much get my rear end kicked by the first enemy I came across in the outskirts, it's rough being so weak!
I eventually got a hang of it and one shot bosses like Butterfly and Genichiro for the first time.
Completely forgot how to fight dad due to getting the Shura ending (I mean, that explains it as much as anything else), and died a few times to both of his fights, though once in the groove, I can get to the second phase, completely unharmed.
Other than dad the boss I had the most trouble with this time around... was Vilehand? No idea what was going on there.
I did get that annoying glitch where he disappears in the other room and then respawns at full health though.

So a technique I never really used until this run, that I now love a lot, is the project force with the finger.
Like, bringing an enemy to you is sometimes helpful, but you can usually hit them with pottery, this is great for getting every enemy to turn their backs to you, or setting off a whole group of animals without them noticing you.
It's also just fun to hit a sound, with your sword, to project it at things.

Only have the Demon and final boss left now, well really only the final boss to get platinum.

Also this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jgzwiH8QA

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Okay, so fighting SSI charmless for the first time, I can see why people have a problem with his later forms. Yikes.
The first time I got to his third form, I was in good shape with revives and heals... and then I promptly ran off the cliff and died. :suicide:

On the bright side I've gotten the first form of Isshin down. :v:
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/1177328487541030912

Feels good to finally platinum the game. The Severance ending was better than I thought it would be.
Like, when I was first playing and the prayer bead and time travel came into play, I wondered if the sculptor was future Sekiro. So to see that happen, in way, with the cycle starting over again was pretty neat.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm honestly more curious as to what the hell Sekiro has been up to for the three years after the Hirata raid.
Because Kuro's dialogue makes it sound like he hasn't seen him since "that night" and Sekiro doesn't remember it, however he does at least know three years have passed since the raid.
Are "that night" and the raid the same? Sekiro could have multiple gaps in his memory (come on DLC!)
Then when you first try to escape, Genichiro makes some comment about how he hasn't seen Kuro since his uncle's funeral, was that right after the raid, before?
I mean obviously Owl didn't end up with Kuro, and one would assume the Interior Ministry didn't either, and from the samurai chatter it sounds like Kuro being prisoner and Sekiro being in the well are recent events.
So Genichiro's plan to use Kuro's blood seems recent as he's increasingly getting desperate.
I dunno, maybe Sekiro has just been sulking in the well for years.
Rough three years for everyone really, Owl got weaker, Isshin got sick, Sekiro losses everything.

You could maybe argue Genichiro was looking for the black mortal blade, but, that blade looks awfully similar to one Isshin used to defeat Tamura in the opening cut scene... (it is noticeably different from the one he wields as Tengu and fights you with in the Shura ending)
:shrug:

Also I found a youtubechannel that's actually going through Japense folklore and such rather than just making things up, so there's some interesting things.
They found out what the straw man is, literally a straw man.
http://yokai.com/waraningyou/

I also randomly stumbled upon a demon called Ashura, it's what that three headed statue in Senpou is.
http://yokai.com/ashura/
Might be more commonly known, but I thought it was neat.

Pulcinella posted:

I think the Senpou Assassins are the least worth-it of them all. Single ones are easy but I usually just run past groups.

They do suck to fight, but are worth killing as they reliably drop Gachiin sugar.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dr Christmas posted:

Which combat arts did you guys like to use?

My first playthrough, I mostly messed around with the monk stuff because it was so fun, started using mortal draw on bosses I was having problems with, pretty vital to me beating dad and SSI the first times.

In any NG+ and charmless run since, pretty much excessively ichimonji, great for getting posture down and lets me save my emblems for fireworks.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lightning Knight posted:

I suspect the game is mistranslated in some aspect or they otherwise didn’t consider how significant that time gap is. Or, Kuro in some way does not age normally. Or or, they couldn’t be bothered to make more than one Kuro model.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The toughest fight in Demon's Soul might be Old King Allant (not to be confused with King Allant)
Mostly because he has that terrible grab that will actually steal a level from you, so if you gently caress up you can easily start fat rolling.
But yeah, that game is the easiest to master, and the only Souls game I could easily do a no death run of.

Personally I'd rank Isshin with Maria in Bloodborne, crazy flashy fights that are satisfying as hell.
I am also someone that had zero problem with Fume Knight in DS2 and find Sir Allone impossible.
:shrugs:

In Sekiro I found the Owl Father fight the hardest, he's just a tricky and dirty fighter.
The demon never seemed as daunting.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

blackguy32 posted:

I think I broke my game. Tried to do the Kite thing with the puppeteer ninjitsu, and the enemy moved the kite out but now it is stuck out there with no way of moving it back. And the enemy is completely gone now.

A bug I noticed with this is that the enemy is still actually there, he just doesn't load in if you enter the area normally. If you load in from Shugendo and run back through the temple he'll be there, glowing blues eyes, forever holding the kite in place.

thehoodie posted:

You can just run past them. I don't think I killed a single one through two playthroughs.

I did my first time, but yeah, I'll kill pretty much everything else because I love the combat, but it's never a fun time fighting those guys.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I started a new charmless game up after months of not playing, and boy it's rough falling back in the groove.
Died an embarrassing amount to Butterfly, but then put down Genichiro first try.
Currently at Owl and a bit horrified I don't remember how to fight him, it is also pretty late though...

I died at "Roberrrtoooo!" :lol:

Genichiro just being an Isshin fight after an Isshin fight is pretty funny, but the screen monkeys, :wow:.
They really don't show the guardian ape fight though, so I guess it's not and Isshin that summons another Isshin halfway through.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
so after NG+ i started a new file and thought "I'm totally going to beat Genichiro this time!" and then almost immediately died because i forgot you don't start with Mikiri. Good times.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I have absolutely no idea what to do now though, so I guess it's just time to bang my head against the final boss(?) until I Become Proficient. Why I gotta fight Isshin, anyway? I thought we were bros :(

Isshin just wants to spar.
https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzyLaconicAdminWTRuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The Headless are nowhere near as annoying as the sumo dudes. I am so sick of fighting them.
Also the important detail you're all missing is that after pulling out Sekiro's soul, they stick it up their own butt.