Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game's up for pre-order on Steam. Go go go go go!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game is god drat awesome. The mechanics are unique and interesting, the controls are responsive and buttery smooth, the graphics are gorgeous and it runs like without issue on any even slightly modern computer. It's like a dream come true. I wish the bosses didn't hit so drat hard (why even give me a health bar if they take off 80% of it in one swing) but even still I have enjoyed every second of experiencing this wonderful thing so far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't be, we all suck rear end right now!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Asehujiko posted:

Does grappling onto a boss ever do anything beneficial? The icon appears for only a very short time and every time I managed to catch it, the end result was that I got slapped out of the air by the boss.

Yup, it stuns them for a second and you get a chance to do the (unlockable move spoiler) grapple air spin attack for free, which means free damage and stagger. If you're really far away though it won't work well and you might get smacked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, I ended up with this:

- Swap Prosthetic on d-pad up
- Use Prosthetic on RT/R2
- Use item on Y

And that works perfectly for me.

edit: Count me in as being stuck on Lady Butterfly, that fight having two phases is brutal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fuzz posted:

Why the gently caress is the gyro on by default when you use controllers on PC, and why did they not include an option inside the game to disable that? What the gently caress.

Doesn't have much to do with the game, it's Steam's doing; Steam enables the gyro by default but the vast majority of games turn off mouse control if you're using a controller so you'll never see it. Sekiro doesn't turn off the mouse controls when you use a controller for some reason I'm not sure of. I don't think Fromsoft could have even included an option that would disable it since it's just Steam controller support emulating a mouse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo you don't have enough health at the start of the game, the first health upgrade should be your baseline. The early game seems like it's balanced around having at least one health upgrade but it's a LONG time before you get it even if you do every boss as soon as they become available. Other than that I have virtually no complaints so far other than tiny personal qualms, this game is just fantastic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've learned from this reddit thread by the man himself that Sekiro's English voice actor is Noshir Dalal, who played/portrayed Charles in Red Dead Redemption 2! So that's cool! The English voices are worth checking out, I'm sticking with the recommended JP but from using them for a while I can say they definitely didn't sleep on the English VA quality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, just a warning for anyone else who's curious: The game tries hard to keep enemies from falling off of cliffs but you can still do it with some finagling... And it is not a fan of that at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megasabin posted:

Question about obtaining a shiny I spotted. In the bamboo grove before the spear Shinobi hunter there is an easy to get item, but then between the bamboo you can see another item in what looks to be a different section of the trees. Anyone know how to get to it?

If it's the area I'm thinking of: Crouch. There are a couple of extremely sneaky areas you can get to because they're low enough for Sekiro to walk under when you're crouched. If it's not the area I'm thinking of, well, there's a tip for you free of charge! v:v:v

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

gotta say, as cool as this mikiri counter looks it sure doesn't do a whole lot

enemies just seem to kinda shrug it off?

It's not an attack, it thrusts their weapon into the ground to throw them off balance and do poise damage. Which it does pretty well! The animation does look a bit silly though. I wish Sekiro didn't dodge when you hit B/Circle while neutral because they made B/Circle also be the "special counter" button and it looks real dumb and like you didn't do it right!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Steve2911 posted:

So what the gently caress is the point of not ressing if you still get rot?

You only res with half your health bar filled, so if your gourd is empty and you don't want to use any medicine pellets you can just say screw it for a quick trip back to the idol.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heads up, if you hold left or right d-pad for a moment you'll auto-scroll to the first slot on your hotbar just like in Dark Souls 2 and 3. Really useful if you get turned around and need to get back to your gourd real fast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question for anyone who is farther along in the game (boss fight reward spoiler): Is there any reason not to consume defeated boss memories? Is it just a "don't do this if you want a personal challenge" type of thing or are there rewards for saving them instead of confronting them?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

so the post in the OP about dragonrot is pretty vague - what exactly constitutes a "reason" for curing it?

As an example, if an NPC asks you to find something for them as part of a quest and then they get Dragonrot, you can't continue the quest until it's gone even if you do find the item. You have to cure the Dragonrot first to continue their quest, therefore it's best to save it until you need to do something like that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grouchio posted:

Sekiro appears to eating it at 15 FPS on my laptop while DS3 runs fine at 40 FPS. What the gently caress. How do I refund and buy on PS4?

Don't buy it on PS4, it has the same frame-timing issues as Bloodborne which leads to the same microstutters it has. The game is beautifully optimized so something it's doing might be disagreeing with your computer. Make sure the game is using your graphics card in Nvidia control panel or AMD's equivalent, some people report that Sekiro for some reason tries to use the integrated graphics on some computers.

edit: Oh, right, that probably doesn't apply to laptops. Duh. :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grouchio posted:

How do I tell whether it's trying integrated graphics or not? And how do I switch? I have settings for it on AMD but it still eats it.

Well I edited my post because that might not apply to laptops now that I think about it, so I don't think that's the problem unfortunately. Check your settings perhaps, Shadows, Lighting, Volumetric and Reflections have the biggest performance hit.

Fuzz posted:

So my game was locked at 20fps on an i7-8700k running at 5 gigs with a 12 gig 1070. No matter what my settings, always 20 fps.

Did some research, apparently if you have 2 monitors and an nVidia card the game shits itself and doesn't run at higher than 20fps.

What the gently caress is this? How is that a thing they didn't realize before shipping? Holy poo poo what a trainwreck.

I have two monitors and haven't had this problem, which probably explains why because they may not have encountered it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JBP posted:

It's great on PS4.

Other than the microstutter thing (which, like Bloodborne, is barely noticeable after a while) it runs really well on consoles thankfully. I'm glad From seems to have finally figured out how to make their games perform well, aside from the usual weird consumer market technical bugs most games nowadays have on release.

edit: That said, buy it on PC if you have an even slightly modern PC imo, unless you really wanna play it in your living room specifically. The game will still run well and look better, and you can customize the graphics options in ways the console version cannot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 23, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

s.i.r.e. posted:

They need to fix the stealth Deathblow because so many times it just doesn't work and I swing my sword instead of killing a dude. They don't last minute notice me, Sekiro fails to do the attack and will swing the sword instead which hits someone and I get noticed.

Actually, they need to fix Deathblows in general because there's times in mid battle where I break someone's pose and they have the red icon on them but Sekiro will attack once or twice instead of finishing them off. These little issues are more frustrating than the git gud parts.

Nothing's broken, you just have to wait a split second. You will get it every time if you hold back for just a quick moment when the icon appears, enough for Sekiro to finish whatever action he's doing.

Regy Rusty posted:

This game is hard and also there is something really scary down in this ravine and I don't like it.

What am I supposed to do about a giant snake?????

Same thing you would do if you encountered a giant rear end snake in real life, hide and run when the snake isn't paying attention to you. Or get eaten and die, that'd probably be me more likely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Figured out a semi-hidden mechanic- Sekiro has a Devil May Cry style enemy step move. If you swing your sword and hit the jump button at the same time on particularly tall enemies, Sekiro does a swing and a backflip jump off of them that gives you i-frames. Speaking of which, you're invincible (and invisible) while grappling so always grapple always all the time. Play this game like it's Batman: Sengoku City.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just found out how Sekiro got the name we are all calling him and it was a strangely poignant moment for me!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm curious about something, folks that have met the merchant who sells you info read the following and tell me how it went for you: Because I'd met him in the dream, he recognized me from three years ago and pointed this out in our opening conversation! Sekiro had no idea what he was talking about, but remembered after being reminded of the situation in which they'd met. Is there anyone here that met him before doing that? Does he still give you that dialogue? What is the encounter like?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

i know it couldn't be done because the game has to work on a controller but i would be in heaven if instead of equipping 3, cycle through one at a time, the prosthetic tools were just all on the number row like a good old fashioned fps from back when you had more than 3 weapons at a time

Radial wheels were invented to solve the fps number keys problem on console controllers my friend. There is a solution to making it work for multiple control formats.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bouncing pretty hard off of the mid game. Bosses do too much damage imo. Unlike the Souls games, the devs are able to assume the max health, posture, and damage a player will have at any given time and balance around that or near that... and yet they still let bosses one-shot you. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The 10% heal on deathblow skill really, really should have been part of Sekiro's starting skills. The early game seems like it'd be a perfect fit for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait till you notice that an enemy's strength is directly proportional to how unnaturally tall they are compared to you!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Emma tells you in crystal clear terms what causes the Dragonrot: When you (as in, Sekiro) die, you use the power of the Divine Heir to resurrect. But when you cannot use it for whatever reason, you are still brought back to life, but at someone else's expense. This causes their blood to stagnate in exchange for bringing you back to life. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it: Resurrecting does not cause Dragonrot, dying for real does, no minutiae or criteria other than that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cardiovorax posted:

Is this actually confirmed or is this just a counter-rumor? Because I still haven't seen any real indication that resurrecting doesn't make the invisible dragonrot counter go up, too, just that proper dying is what triggers the dragonrot event in a new NPC.

I can 100% confirm this, I played through the entire game up until Ashina Castle without dying, having resurrected a thousand million times, and it still took the same amount of normal real deaths (4 or 5) to trigger it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Does the additional spirit talisman talent really only give you +1

Yes, but it's actually pretty useful because a lot of the prosthetic tools cost an even number of emblems to use. There are more emblem ups spread around the trees and they all give you +1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

i get the feeling if i knew how to trigger the aerial deathblow skill it'd make quick work of them, but alas i do not

You have to jump at the enemy and hit jump again when you collide in the air, it'll make Sekiro do the "pop up in the air" double jump move and then you can do the takedown.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have no idea, sometimes you can do it to enemies on the ground and sometimes you can't. It's really strange, I wish it were more consistent. But when you have the aerial deathblow skill that's how you get the prompt to appear. :shrug:

edit: But dodging sweeps does seem to make it happen almost always, yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

can you use it against the shichimen warrior? because just like the umbrella, i picked it up with the intention of using it to chump him, and then he died before i needed to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxkZHbOL4g

Here's a video of exactly what you were trying to do, I dunno how this dude did it but boy did he make it look easy!

edit: Also it seems I was wrong and you don't NEED to do the mid-air kick to get it, but it does help to get it reliably from my experience.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That point must be incredibly late then because again, I played through the whole first half of the game without a 'real' death and it still took the same number to trigger for the first time. I promise you are all overcomplicating it for no reason.

edit: Emma even has a specific Talk prompt dialogue that I got on my stream wherein she describes what the Dragonrot is because you haven't gotten it yet if you manage to get far enough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I finally fought Voldo on my latest stream and I lost my fuckin mind. Here is my reaction if you want to see how much I love this god drat dude.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

theblackw0lf posted:

What are some good upgrades to get for my prosthetic tools? (ie. spinning shuriken, etc..)

Spinning shuriken and whirling axe are the two major first-chance-you-get upgrades imo. The rest is honestly up to your discretion, pick whatever sounds like fun because they're pretty much all useful upgrades.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Hirata Estate memory is extremely badly paced. You are clearly meant to do it in stages (as in, visit another area for a while after each of the boss fights in it) but it does absolutely nothing to indicate this to you besides the level inexplicably getting harder at specific points. You aren't supposed to finish areas in this game in one shot beginning to end and I'm sure it's the developers trying to show you that but they did a terrible job of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lexorin posted:

I feel like the name for the mini-boss Long Arm Centipede Giraffe was maybe mistranslated... Also a bitchy fight, only to find out I need a key to move past the room he was in.

Surprisingly, it is for some reason not a mistranslation. That literally is its name in japanese. It's awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

is there a "point of no return"?

I still have headless to kill and such and I got this master bait that I thought I knew where to use but doesn't seem to be the right place. As for the main story I've gathered all the ingredients and the next step is the cave.

In Fromsoft tradition, the final boss is the only actual point of no return for the gameplay itself. Like in Bloodborne however there are a few irreversible game-world-state changes, but you're past all of them. As far as I'm aware you're tossed right into NG+ though, unlike recent souls games where you can run around in the game world after the credits roll and do it whenever you want.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mikiri Counter being mapped to the dodge button is so stupid. I get that they didn't want to force-replace the normal thrust move deflect (you can deflect thrust moves but not block them) but I don't care, there is no situation where you would want to do the normal deflect instead of Mikiri and 10000000 situations where you will be unable to return the stick to neutral, wait a split second, and hit the dodge button in time to line it up right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The real question is why the article's author thinks anybody cares that he is not going to finish Sekiro

Oh no, Sekiro doesn't fall within the preferred gaming tastes of Shaun Prescott. Darn. How can I go on living.