Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kalsco posted:

I've beaten every boss in every Souls game and I've played Revengeance to death. This seems like the mix of the two. Why am I doing so horribly? I keep dying on Lady Butterfly and I can't believe this is the first boss I've encountered. Christ. :negative:

She's a bonus boss. Do the usual Fromsoft business and come back to her when you've powered up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What sort of stuff does the spear work on? Any heavily-armoured enemy, or just certain particular ones?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any tips on the big shotgun dudes you encounter every so often? They're challenging enough to fight directly that I feel there must be a weakness they've got that I'm missing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I know 'just backstab them' is the standard protocol for tough enemies in Sekiro, but hanging out waiting for dudes to get bored and wander off is tedious, and most of them have some way for you to eliminate them fairly quickly and easily in a straight fight (the blue samurai have firecrackers and the Mikiri counter, the little hat guys have the Loaded Axe, and so on). Was just wondering about the shotgun folks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

re: Sekiro easy mode, it's almost as if gamers are entitled and cry bullshit any time a product isn't tailored specifically for them

I, the protagonist of reality, find the game too hard? terrible game, completely respectless

This conversation kicked off because a poster's medical issues were preventing them from playing a game, dude. Cool your jets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

okay, question time

I know, from being careless about spoilers in this thread, that you need to kick the armored warrior off the bridge

question is, how do I do that. Do I need to find the kung fu skillbook and get the super kick skill, or what?

You do it by performing deathblows. No fancy skills required.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

The gently caress do you do about the weird centipede monk guys, the dead ones that don't... die?

Also lol if you think anyone seriously actually wants an easy mode, that poo poo was made up immediately to put your eyes on some loving worthless clickbait rag and anyone who unironically believes it has been drawn into a meme made to farm outrage and should consider why they think the way they do.

You can save those immortal monks for later. You'll get a tool at the end of the area that helps you with them. If you want to temporarily bring them down so you can grab the items they're guarding, fire is useful.

Also, I got the Fresh Serpent Viscera. Christ, that was wild.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I must say, annihilating big groups of fragile enemies like the temple monks and Hirata Estate bandits with the shuriken dash never stops being satisfying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

by limiting the useful stuff and than get this, making the less useful stuff less limited. I don't see why I'd ever throw a shuriken at anything that wasn't a dog because that wastes a perfectly good .5 of a firecracker

Because shuriken-R1 is a very powerful, long-ranged dash attack that lets you carve your way through hordes of enemies ridiculously fast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

When is carving through mooks ever an issue later on?

Found it pretty handy against the monks and centipede ninjas in Senpou Temple. That's mid-game, at least. It's also effective against ranged attackers of any variety if you want to safely close the distance.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 30, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone got any really nice-looking boss-fight videos? Not super-efficient cheese, just a fight executed with impressive technical skill.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Took on Owl, and didn't realise I had the Bell Demon's Curse on until I killed him. Lol, whoops.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

It's fun styling on these problematic fuckers in NG+. The first general who kicked me up and down the arena at least ten time just the pain of unfuckwithable Shinobi sword defense. The next three including ogre met similar terrible fates. This is going to be a much shorter game lol.

Really looking forward to trying out Living Force on an ogre.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

A VERY BIG FISH

A FISH TOO BIG

anyway, anyone know what mythological creature the nobles are based on?

The most famous legend about koi carp is that a shoal of them tried to swim upstream through a raging torrent year after year, generation after generation until, after a century, one of them managed it and was rewarded by the gods for his perseverance by being turned into a dragon. If you've played through the Fountsinhead Palace, you can probably fill in the blanks from there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any tips on bringing down Owl redux?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Oh hey I finally just got to the mortal blade in the inner sanctum which let me trade in sakura drops for an extra rez. THATS why I needed to kill lady butterfly

You can get that extra rez much earlier by chatting to Kuro in his room after beating Genichiro.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the red-eyed samurai gets completely wrecked if you have the flame vent and Living Force. It's actually kind of hilarious - all that perfect martial discipline goes straight out the window and you're locked in a room with a scrawny little dude wearing very flammable clothes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are any of the Lazulite tools considered better than the others?

People sing the praises of the shuriken for a reason - do you like the butterfly kunai but wish they cost one emblem per shot and delivered all their damage at once? Everything else is nice but more situational.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So where do I get the sakura branch thing? The kid doesn't tell me where to go. And I already beat the Guardian Ape and Corrupted Monk.

It'll come to you after you gather the other items.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

What the? It's the first time I've heard of this. Where do I find this?

Go to Senpou Temple (through the Abandoned Dungeon, from Ashina Castle). Kuro mentions it when you talk to him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Okay just got to Corrupted Monk, have done it 4 times now. Gonna give my hot takes: I'm sure there's a second phase because I only see one healthbar on her and I doubt they're gonna be that merciful. The fight itself is pretty cool, she has good moves and they're learnable and there's good back and forth and punishes for being too aggressive which is a neat thing. But you do an absolutely stupid small amount of damage without confetti and that's dumb, endurance matches are dumb. It is absolutely tedious that I'm gonna spend 40 minutes chipping this health until her posture regen slows down so I can see phase 2 and probably get clowned.

Just my hot takes.

She's tough because there is no Phase 2. Also, use shuriken - she's really bad at defending herself from ranged attacks. The purple umbrella may help too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Q for armored cocksucker so I don’t waste more time

Do you have to break the wall first in order to send him out

What is it

You do not. He's a heavy boy, he breaks through that wall on his own.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

redpleb posted:

How in the great gently caress do you fight the loving guardian ape. He's whooping my rear end and throwing poo poo in my face.

Parry less, dodge more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

are any of the prosthetic upgrades worth it? i've been upgrading them but I never seem to mess with anything except their basic ability.

Absolutely. Many of them, like the axe and shuriken, get useful health/posture damage bonuses, and some get really powerful extra abilities - the purple umbrella, for instance, trivialises apparition-type enemies (and the red umbrella is very useful against a late-game superboss).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

DoH took me around 4 attempts.

The last one was the only attempt where I got past phase 1.

It was a lovely fight. I spent probably 15-20 minutes running around and only attacking during the safest openings. Im probably never doing it again since the reward is not really worth the frustration.

In comparison GA and its mook was quick and fun.

Stay close to his less mutated leg (your left, his right), block his stomps, jump away from his perilous attacks, run away from his leaping explosion (and then grapple him when he comes back down), sprint up when he leaps away, use the Suzaku umbrella to block flame attacks, and use the Malcontent to paralyse him (only works three times, but useful for burning down his third phase when you're out of resources).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Finally killed Great Shinobi Owl. God, what a fucker. video if anyone wants to see.

Immediately afterwards made a beeline for the Secret Ending requirements, and am now in Hirata Estate v2.
Holy poo poo, they really turned up the sheer level of "gently caress you" for this level, huh? "Here's a loneshadow that hits like a truck and summons dogs if you don't constantly keep on him!" "Here's the adds before Juzou with a pair of purple ninjas thrown in!" "Here's a Juzou you can't sneak up on, with no help, and even more obnoxious adds!" :shepicide:

Holy poo poo, gently caress this level.

You can sneak up on Juzou. Just do what you likely did last time and lure away his adds (the purple guys in particular have a usefully long aggro range) before coming back for him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

how can i dodge the guardian monkey's grab attack? i always get hosed by it, should i dogdge away, or into it?

The ground grab can be dodged by going diagonally forwards to the right, although you may need multiple consecutive dodges.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I saw some posts mentioning that there is a second optional flashback segment. How hard is it to miss? For reference i'm currently at Mifu Village.

Quite easy to miss. You have to do a lot of eavesdropping on your friends after gathering the ritual materials and making the big decision atop Ashina Castle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
An umbrella is the best option for the scream, though, because then you can immediately counterattack once he stops screaming. He's also an Apparition when headless, so the purple umbrella's ambush strike fucks him up real good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Does the umbrella work on the Demon of Hatred's leaping slamsplosion? Never tried it, and I'm mildly curious.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes you're 100% safe from it while the umbrella is up, if you use the flame version anyway.

Huh, neat. Not sure what the tradeoff is between the umbrella counter and the grapple strike, but something to keep in mind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

For the Purification ending, once I unlock the alternate Hirata estate I can do Owl at any point before the final boss right?

Yup. I recommend going through the Fountainhead Palace before taking him on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Demon of Hatred has really big openings - what should I be doing with those? Should I be spamming regular attacks or whipping out my combat arts?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Took on Owl, and didn't realise I had the Bell Demon's Curse on until I killed him. Lol, whoops.

lol, gently caress, I did it again on the Demon of Hatred.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, which gadgets should I be bringing into the final boss battle? I'm guessing the lazulite shuriken will be a nice pressure tool and gap-closer, but is there anything else they don't like?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Sean posted:

gently caress, man. I've gotten better since the last I posted. I did the same area for like an hour and gave up. Came back the next day and cleared it no problem.

I'm stuck again, of course at big fat drunkard. I think I could handle him on his own but those dudes with the wooden shields just gently caress me up. How do I beat them? I saw a loading screen tip about some explosive device but I'm like right at the beginning and don't have that...

Oh, I know the thread title used to be "don't panic about dragonrot" but i'm dying a fuckton. I used to head back to a shrine to rest up if I got close to dying but that wastes time I can use to practice the combat system.

To contribute to the thread, I really enjoy overlaying this over the game's sound while I play: https://open.spotify.com/user/tofushopdriftin/playlist/37A1GKQUfaDTrK1FN2Wwcw?si=_JE6RhiHT5uMT5JRjwCjkg

For that, you want the Shinobi Axe. It's in the Hirata Estate, in one of the side-areas at the opposite end of the path the first shielded enemies appear on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This video has probably been linked here before, but it is both beautiful and educational. Spoilers, obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I_M98AKZ1w

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah I didn't even realize he had dogs until after I beat him. Why is he called spearbearer btw, he has a sword and no spear! Maybe he's really bad with a spear and it's an ironic nickname like calling a really fat guy slim.

It means he carries someone else's spear. Presumably, he was an attendant of one of the Ashina Seven Spears.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Can't beat that loving elite guy at the top of the castle and at this rate i'm going to have to buy a new controller.

Dodge, don't parry. He's slow, fragile, and attacks in narrow arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'm confused. I thought Lady Butterfly was supposed to give me a second resurrection but i haven't had that happen once for me. It sure would help a lot with Geni since I often eat poo poo once in his first phase, but in the lightning phase it never gives me that second res.

She gives you an item that you need to give to either Kuro or a certain NPC in Senpou Temple (it doesn't matter which you choose, the effect is the same).