Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
This game is real fun. The first giant rooster I ran into I just was so happy and excited to see it. Then later I found another animal that was just a little bit larger than they usually are.

One thing, as a big Dark Souls player, is I'm loving how loving easy it is to kill DOGS. One shuriken!!! blap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

along the way posted:

I feel like I'm never going to be able to complete the game with every new mini boss I encounter.

I keep pushing on anyway, because the feeling of satisfaction from overcoming the challenges in this game is unbelievable.

I know, right? The first samurai general guy was SO satisfying to kill. But like, lol he's probably basically the Black Knight equivalent in this game?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh drat I just killed horse guy that was really satisfying once I figured him out.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It wouldn't be a souls game if 3/4ths of the doors you find Don't Open From This Side.

Your Computer posted:

posture really functions nothing like poise did in Dark Souls though?

in fact, there is at least one instance of Dark Souls poise in Sekiro and it's one that keeps loving people up - the axe dudes.

Yeah Posture is more like stamina almost.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

areyoucontagious posted:

I can’t beat general tenzen yamauchi. Cannot do it. Guess this is where I’m done. What a silly, easy boss to eat poo poo on. 9 tries at this point. Every time he sweeps I roll, every time he thrusts I just take it. gently caress

Is that the Samurai guy in the courtyard after the chained ogre guy? Honestly I didn't mess around with fancy tactics for that guy and the one before him, I just kind of kept my distance and got in attacks. Also it helps a lot to sneak attack him before you start the fight, then you only have to get one deathblow.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

i just want to add some more wild guesses to the pile about the demon bell, having fought the snakeeyes sisters and mister giraffe with it on: i think it might both tighten the perfect deflect window and also greatly increase posture damage when it's on. i took care of giraffe's identical twin brother without even batting an eye earlier on, but on the rematch he kept poise breaking me and i kept flubbing my deflects despite knowing his attack pattern by heart.

also i don't know if it was the demon bell's influence or not but it was a bitch and a half to get poison to proc on either of the snakeeyes sisters, but it does bump their posture by 50% if you do manage to get it to finally trigger. personally i'm not sure it was worth the effort.

Is there a giraffe in this game? That would be sick.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Took a brief break from getting my rear end kicked to do this lol.

beautiful

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just beat Lady Butterflyand dang that was tough. I kind of figured out a sort of cheesy method to beat her, though. I found that if you just spam the Nightjar combat art, the one where you flip into the air, closing the distance with an attack, she can't get any moves in. You can get through the entire first phase without her doing anything. It did fail a few times when she would get backed into a wall or pillar, but you could easily start again. The second phase it didn't work as well because she has a move where she summons two projectiles that is fast enough that you can't stop. Also the apparition summon you can't interrupt. Also she seemed just a bit faster in general.

But the Nightjar assault spam still works ok, you just need to run around. Which was perfectly fine with me cause it meant it was still a legit boss fight. I died a lot.

I feel good about the Burning Bull, it took me like two tries. Be a matador.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just killed mr Giraffe, what a great boss. You walk in there and he just annihilates you and it's terrifying. Then I realize he's got basically two attacks. The flurry and the sweepy swipe. If you just tap the deflect button in the right rhythm you will bounce him away, then he swipes at you and you jump on his head. You do that two times and his posture breaks, and repeat again!

He went from an absolutely monstrous boss that I ran away from for a while into something I can kill easy! That's a great feeling.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

I fought the optional version of him first, so I was a little more prepped, but hell yeah! Second phase is ironically so much easier because his red sweeps are so drat easy to predict.

I'm still dying again and again to snake eyes though lol

E: she just blasted me off the cliff with the grab

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

IDONTPOST posted:

oh cool the fight was probably the easiest mini boss so i thought i hosed up an npc interaction

ugh he is kicking my rear end lmao. then again i just spent an hour dying to snake eyes so maybe i was a little tired.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I really like how generous this game is about falling off cliffs. I noticed it first with the trees you'd jump on, but the game doesn't let you walk off cliffs to your death. At any point, in combat or otherwise.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

morallyobjected posted:

am I crazy or can you deflect the grab attack from Snake Eyes? felt like I got out of it a couple times but maybe there's just an attack that looks the same

I noticed that if you're far enough away when they start it, and you're blocking, then the tip of their spear thing will bounce off your sword. Usually I was like backstepping away and put up my sword at the end of it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I went into the abandoned dungeon and died horribly to floating purple orbs.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

consider: running around them and stabbing the guy who's making them

:aaaaa:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got to a locked door in sunken valley after mr giraffe, is this like a yellow fog gate thing?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kalsco posted:

Dogs being chumpable feels so good in this game. Payback time. :smugdog:

loving hell yes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

morallyobjected posted:

I don't know what that means but you'll get to pass eventually

The yellow fog gates in Dark Souls blocked off three lord souls until you got the lord vessel.

ultrachrist posted:

You have to beat the boss on top of the castle and the key is in the library in Kuro's room

Thanks guys.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm having a good time trying to kill Genichiro but my tv screen is doing this thing where it turns itself off for a moment. Only happens with some Xbox games, and seems to happen randomly. Like I can go for hours with it not happening and then it'll start happening constantly. Insanely aggravating!!! I'm 99% positive it's not the wires. I guess it's just my lovely discount Xbox.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

So, when you folks speak of eavesdropping on NPCs (friendly NPCs, I mean), do you get a prompt to do that? Are there specific points at which you can do it? Or can you just hit the down button to eavesdrop whenever and I've just never tried it?

Unrelated, but you were talking about the poison prosthetic attack and it turns out it takes 3 hits to poison the dojo master near the top of ashina castle. I'm not sure it was super helpful overall because he already kind of took a lot of posture damage, but it was nice to have him at like half health or so while fighting him.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hanbei, the training dummy guy, is also called "the infested", so he's probably related to them in some way.

rio posted:

Is there any reason to go back to the main storyline where I am now? Last boss I beat was the bull, well lady butterfly but I’m not sure if that is main story or optional. I’ve just been totally sidetracked and am currently in the temple, just saved for the night at an idol inside a door guarded by three of those harder temple enemies, two back to back and one patrolling. Not sure of their names, they have straw hats, are fairly tall and double sided weapons. Inside is a monk to talk to but he has centipedes crawling on him like the enemy ones do . I’m mainly wondering if for either concrete reasons like getting items through the main story or other reasons like continuity if I should head back to the story tomorrow night or just keep doing random poo poo.

How did you get there?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CRAYON posted:

The elite samurai near the top of the castle was awesome and I wish I had a combat art like his Himura Kenshin draw technique. The first time I fought him I thought it was really difficult and was going to take me awhile to figure out. Then the second time I noticed the glint of light which gives away the deflect timing and he was dead in like 20 seconds.

Also loved the fight with Genichiro. At first I thought his second phase was going to be complete bullshit, but then I realized that he was taking way more posture damage during that phase and I could probably end it fast. Being aggressive worked well but I still had to dodge a couple lightening attacks. Was way to scared to try reversing the lighting, but I bet it does a ton of posture damage.

It took quite a bit longer than other recent Fromsoft games but Sekiro has it's claws in deep now.

Genichiro is great, you just gotta keep attacking! Vengeance for your arm!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Skeleton King posted:

Not sure how far in I’ve gotten, but right now I’ve finally gotten my 8th prayer bead and have 4 gourd uses. Haven’t beaten lady butterfly. The first phase seems to take up to 3 or 4 minutes before I can finally land the death blow, by which point I’ve hosed up too many times and run out of healing items. Is there a better way to build posture damage than just basic sword moves? It seems to take ages and I only have so long until I gently caress up and take huge damage. The arm tools seem far too slow other than the shuriken which seems far superior to the other tools since it can stun bosses out of attacks and doesn’t make you easy to kill while using it.

Do you have Nightjar slash? Just spam that at her.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

I managed to take down Genichiro upon learning that the Shadowrush's dashing stab can be handy even if you can't do the flipty doo from a lack of tokens...

...or so I thought but it turns down he has another two whole health bars and a new moveset

When did they first start pulling this "lol psyche there's like 3 or 4 phases" poo poo? It was the Bloodborn DLC with Ludwig right? I think I hate it

Yeah, but you gotta admit you knew it was coming. Genichiro is too cool to get killed without doing something crazy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Depends entirely on the person. Learning the mechanics can be a big uphill battle, especially if you’re stuck in the mindset that you should be playing this game the same way you play Dark Souls. Once everything really clicks though, the game can feel a bit more on the easy side yeah. Which is probably why there’s not one but two different Champion’s Covenant type difficulty modifiers you can add onto the game.

Yeah I keep reactively spamming B for dodge and it really is not effective. The mikuri counter needs better timing than just button mashing when you see the icon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Which part of the game are you up to? There are basically easy little circuits you can do from an idol at every stage of the game. Especially ones that start you behind the enemy so you can run out and just get a heap of stealth kills then reset.

A good one I've found, and I haven't killed G yet, is the gun fort idol, the guys with big guns give 297 each and the guys with little guns give like 160 something. Three guys with big guns and like four little ones is like 1500ish XP which is pretty good for a pretty quick run. They don't really drop anything good though, mostly antidotes and rarely a pellet. With the gold balloon it gave me like 500 sen which is ok.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
me fighting genichiro ashina:

https://twitter.com/Kloppholic/status/1111910544007667718

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

jump in the air and smack that poo poo right back at him like he's loving ganon (attack, not block)

It seems like it's pretty easy to do, you just need to be in the air when it happens and then hit attack before you hit the ground, right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

So what are your tools versus the chained ogre because I’ve been beating my head against him, trying to use stealth to no avail, getting him down to half of his last health bar but rear end in a top hat will powerbomb me or drop kick me to death in an instant

You can use stealth against him, just run away until his healthbar disappears. Stick near his feet and use dodge to move away from his attacks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel real bad about killing the armored swordsman in senpou temple, like, that was the dad of the guy whose firecrackers I'm using, right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm just having a real difficult time successfully beating genichiro, I think it has to do with a lot of things but most importantly I just often don't do the right thing in response to what he's doing. Like I get the mikiri counter on him a third of the time even though I know exactly what I'm doing wrong. Then I get nervous and gently caress up. I can get him into the last phase a third of the time but then I just gently caress up. I know I'll beat him but I don't know about the rest of the game lol. At least I've explored a decent bit of the game so far. I think I got as far as I can go in Senpou temple before beating genichiro, since I found some skeletal NPC guy in a temple but can't seem to find a way forward from there.

Also those crawling mini-giraffe guys are shockingly easy to kill, just jump and more than half the time you get the option to deathblow them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

Can somebody give me some tips for that gun bitch on the mountain? If I try to jump out of the grab, she snags me in midair. If I dodge it she's too far away to attack and then she shoots me in the face. She blocks everything I throw at her. Firecrackers only work for 1 hit. She does such ridiculous posture damage if I block a combo I'm screwed. The "I can turn 180 degrees instantly and shoot you out of the air" doesn't loving help either.

They really need to tone down the enemy pivot in this game. It's like DS2 on loving steroids.

If you run past her onto the bridge she'll half drop aggro and you can get a stealth deathblow. I used the poison knife prosthetic, takes two full combos to poison her but it does a decent amount of posture and then vitality. I really disliked fighting that miniboss.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

When do I find a merchant who likes sells me pellets or other consumables? Whenever I’m about to venture somewhere I know I’ll die I just buy a bunch of paper dolls just because that’s all I can use my money on

Pellets are a seriously precious resource, I 100% know they are never going to give me a merchant with an infinite supply of them, but I've been able to buy like 15 total off of various ones? The guys in the little tents, some guy I met in Ashina castle later sold me some, too.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

Should you really be screwing around with spirit type enemies before you find a reliable source of Confetti? Cuz I kind of want to, to round out my upgrade count before I take on Genichiro, but I've got like... 3

I've managed to round up four prayer necklaces and still haven't beaten Genichiro.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It is interesting that they went with activision for this game, what are the reasons for that kind of decision?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thank you :)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

So basically, because they shoved them in Bloodborne they've screwed themselves on using them again. Boy I love Sony.

I think it's more like they saw what happened when they referenced Bloodborne in that VR deracine game, and were like "ehhh that's not what we wanted to happen", when people read more into it than they meant.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The most important thing to me in Sekiro is that in all directions there are impassable mountains. That's one of my favorite things from the Souls games. Unfortunately there is not also a giant body of water nearby.

I don't like to spoil myself on things, but I noticed a giant mountain off in the distance that has its top covered in clouds. Will I ever go there?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

does divine intervention or whatever that spins enemies around let you get sneak attack kills even when they're aggroed?

Yeah, that's exactly what it does. Although apparently it does some other interesting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

hooo boy let's give that a go, I don't think I've ever seen his backside he is just in my face all the time

You gotta side step him, like a matador. Then immediately chase him. He'll dig his head into the ground to turn but you should already be on top of him, and then he'll try to turn in place.