Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A high end wheel wouldn't be dual drilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They look like a 1 piece Blitz copy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They look like a 1 piece Blitz copy

MHT and NZO made a Blitz Type 03 rep in dual pattern back in the day

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oh hey, a wheel thread. I got a good deal on some old HREs (made for Hennessey) last year and just recently finished rebuilding and cleaning them up.

Ad picture, they were a little rougher than expected:

Faces removed, didn't split the barrels, just added another layer of silicone:

Bolts ran through a tumbler for a day:

*not pictured, dropping $150 on a polisher and zephyr polish kit, fixing curb damage, etc.*

Completed:
Pre/post edit:

Getting tires mounted soon, had delays with a set of TPMS sensors.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You did a great job. Is there a wheel that doesn't look good in gunmetal/chrome?

I always pay to get them refurbed because I'm a sissy baby who is afraid of loving up expensive wheels.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

um excuse me posted:

I always pay to get them refurbed because I'm a sissy baby who is afraid of loving up expensive wheels.

+1, only stuff I try my hand with is cheap oem wheels that really only need a paint job. More substantial repair or wheels that are pricier get sent to a professional.

That said, that restore looks pretty great!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A friend of mine has just done exactly what the thread title is...

:whatup:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Please tell me that is actually mounted and the lip is really that far out from the car.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's where the wheels will sit, yeah but he's going for a bosozoku fully-overfendered look to stay somewhat inside the law.

This kinda vibe:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And to think I'm living wild when I reverse mount my face to gain 15mm of offset.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dude that's doing it is a special case though and I fully support his madness. He's like another friend of mine, they're both great because they always take things to extremes and I know where I want to be is like a few steps back from that :v:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Just sold them. Off to someone in Maryland. Gonna clean them up and pack em tomorrow.

Time for the new hotness.

17x9 5x114.3 +40 Rays Gram Lights 57xtreme. I'll run them for a year and maybe trade for something different. I always have, like, 3 different wheels in mind.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was too cheap to buy new original Audi wheels for my 2001 S8, so I bought some cheap aftermarket wheels new while trying to find a nice set of original rims.

Borbet 8.5x18 ET 45 with 5x112 pattern. 255/45 tyres. They arrive hopefully some day from Germany, in Finland the cost of a set of wheels was astronomical. Imaged is a 3D render of D4 A8:

I am not 100% sure but Borbet's website sells 74mm center caps for them. So either I need 74mm Audi replica center caps, or I need to make frankencaps from the Borbet caps and some smaller audi caps.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 3, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's a meaty tire render. I'm guessing 18 isn't that small on an Audi. For center caps I just 3D printed some and got stickers from here. Seems sketchy but they did show up in the mail after a few weeks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

um excuse me posted:

That's a meaty tire render. I'm guessing 18 isn't that small on an Audi. For center caps I just 3D printed some and got stickers from here. Seems sketchy but they did show up in the mail after a few weeks.

The results look pretty nice and they ship to Finland for $3. I'll 3d print some caps or buy blanks, seems that is solved then.

https://www.felgenshop.de has a nice webpage where it does 3d renders after selecting a car and some wheels. It doesn't support older cars but is a lot better than nothing!

Steel suspension mixed with low profile tyres and local roads doesn't work well. I had a set of 265/30r20 wheels and they were horrible. I'd need air suspension if I wanted to use larger rims.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New wheel day!

Rays Gram Lights 17x9 +40 with Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R in 245/45R17. This is the autocross and show set up. I have other wheels for daily.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What range of offsets have you been able to get away with on the WRX before having to deal with spacers, etc? I wanted to get a set of track/autocross wheels but was never too sure how it would work out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had the same question way back when I had the TE37s in the OP. They rubbed in the rear, but I still tried, dammit. 18x9.5 +35 will work if you put like 245mm tires on it. I had 265s and thats why they rubbed.

I cataloged about half of NASIOC's wheel thread to figure out where the breaking point was.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=763&perpage=40#post484595373

But note SCCA rules for autocross generally stipulate size and offset. These new wheels fit exactly into Street Touring Hatch, which the VA WRX falls into with light modifications.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

um excuse me posted:

I had the same question way back when I had the TE37s in the OP. They rubbed in the rear, but I still tried, dammit. 18x9.5 +35 will work if you put like 245mm tires on it. I had 265s and thats why they rubbed.

I cataloged about half of NASIOC's wheel thread to figure out where the breaking point was.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=763&perpage=40#post484595373

But note SCCA rules for autocross generally stipulate size and offset. These new wheels fit exactly into Street Touring Hatch, which the VA WRX falls into with light modifications.

That's an incredible post thank you for your service.
I currently run DS (+/-7 offset) in autocross because I'm mod-less right now but local events are dying off so I may just become a track bro where I'm less tied to rules.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
I had my set of BBS E88 re-finished last year--attempting a bit of a throwback to older BBS themes. Originally they were configured for my E92 with matte black centers (Al), gloss black outer lips, and polished inner barrels. Staggered 19" diameter 9.5fr/10.5r. I would likely change tire sizes for future setups--lessen the sidewall height as well as the stretch :eng99:

A fun picture of them mounted on a past friend (BSM E82 1M):

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Any tips on cleaning the 20" multispokes on a 2016 TTS? I've tried some cheapo wheel cleaner and a few brushes I have, but there is a ring that goes around the face of the wheel, behind the spokes, that is impossible or very difficult to access and clean.

Someone has mentioned a product called Dragons Breath, but it didn't appear to be for sale in the US. Is there an equivalent?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thealphabetsez posted:

I had my set of BBS E88 re-finished last year--attempting a bit of a throwback to older BBS themes. Originally they were configured for my E92 with matte black centers (Al), gloss black outer lips, and polished inner barrels. Staggered 19" diameter 9.5fr/10.5r. I would likely change tire sizes for future setups--lessen the sidewall height as well as the stretch :eng99:

That's an insane photo, the wheels almost look like they're glowing.

MetaJew posted:

Any tips on cleaning the 20" multispokes on a 2016 TTS? I've tried some cheapo wheel cleaner and a few brushes I have, but there is a ring that goes around the face of the wheel, behind the spokes, that is impossible or very difficult to access and clean.

Someone has mentioned a product called Dragons Breath, but it didn't appear to be for sale in the US. Is there an equivalent?

For reference we're talking about these?

And the ring your referencing is the ridge on the outside perimeter recessed in the wheel?

I use a spoke brush, specifically this one. It looks like there have since been better spoke brushes designed, but I can only speak for the one I own. The bristles are large enough where stuffing them through, assuming there's over an inch of clearance, reaches corners and edges. I mention the clearance because it will get difficult to use the brush as the gap gets smaller. I actually have a second smaller brush for smaller spaces.

Other than a spoke brush, a power washer and a penetrating degreaser are going to be your best bet.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 24, 2019

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

thealphabetsez posted:

Oh hey Mason :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

um excuse me posted:

That's an insane photo, the wheels almost look like they're glowing.

For reference we're talking about these?

And the ring your referencing is the ridge on the outside perimeter recessed in the wheel?

I use a spoke brush, specifically this one. It looks like there have since been better spoke brushes designed, but I can only speak for the one I own. The bristles are large enough where stuffing them through, assuming there's over an inch of clearance, reaches corners and edges. I mention the clearance because it will get difficult to use the brush as the gap gets smaller. I actually have a second smaller brush for smaller spaces.

Other than a spoke brush, a power washer and a penetrating degreaser are going to be your best bet.

Yep, those are the wheels. I have a similar brush. I think you either have to have a flexible brush that bends at a right angle or just go in with a mitt and squeeze your hands behind the spokes to clean the area I was mentioning.

I might just be too lazy. I have a friend who has bought a pressure washer, foam Cannon, and an RO filter so maybe we'll just start doing car washes at his place.

What kind of degreaser do you recommend?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

255/45R18 tyres fit to 18x8.5 ET45 rims (Borbet BLX silver) on 2002 Audi S8. Front brake calipers have 3-4mm of space between the rim. All around there's not that much room but there's enough.

Driver's side may be jacked up in this photo, I was changing the tyres:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 25, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

What kind of degreaser do you recommend?

Nothing special. I like chemical guy's stuff. Bleche Wite was bought by Black Magic which is a good and a bad thing. The bad thing is it used to be stronger and actually strip tires clean Good thing is even though it's a pretty weak tire cleaner, it's pretty effective and safe for any wheels that have a clear coat on them. Cuts right through brake dust without scrubbing. For the love of God keep it away from exposed aluminum though.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Speaking of the thread title, buddy at work got his new wheels

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Having polished wheels was a pain in the rear end. You either have to polish them frequently because it's bare aluminum or avoid getting them wet. Luckily they were my track wheels so they rarely saw rain. But boy do they make good show wheels. What car are they on where you can flip the face like that and still fit?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
G35 and they're actually chrome

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That is the way to go. I was being all nerdy with the superleggera spec.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I recently (yesterday) found out about Enkei BIG END RODDERS. Apart from having the coolest name of any wheel ever, they're actually pretty sweet.

Like all the coolest wheels though they're 4-bolt and super rare.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
There have been a bunch of old school 3 spokes showing up recently. Advan SA3Rs, and a set of Enkei Selbachs. I wish I could rock them on the Jetta, but I can't do it.

Any thoughts on the SSR RF? Super light, forged, and imho a neat design.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

dphi posted:

Getting tires mounted soon, had delays with a set of TPMS sensors.

Forgot to post a picture of the wheels installed

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dphi posted:

Speaking of the thread title, buddy at work got his new wheels

When you have Works at work, does that count as overtime?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My bolt pattern sucks :(

5x127 or 5x5 only gets you dudebro rimz for 2wd chevies or ultra dudebro rimz for jeeps.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
There's highfalutin racing stuff too, but $

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's the deal with Rotas? Are they bad?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Rotas will literally explode and kill your wife and the next three generations of your family. Or at least that's what the car forums used to say 10-15 years ago.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There are pictures of destroyed ones all over the internet. They copy TE37 wheels with the Rota Grids. TE37 is a forged, ultralight, wheel, they copy it with a cast process. Using a weaker process yields a weaker wheel. Rota only warranties wheels that fail in normal driving conditions, which is another hint they might not be great.

That being said, plenty of people own them and stand by them. But in the end I can get wheels that aren't known for exploding for the same money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

My bolt pattern sucks :(

5x127 or 5x5 only gets you dudebro rimz for 2wd chevies or ultra dudebro rimz for jeeps.

Torq thrusts and soft 8s, should cover just about anything running that pattern